• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 + 2TB external HDD > PS5 + 2 TB internal SSD

Leonidas

Ran out of space on my PS5 and hooked in a 2 TB external drive I had laying around.

Transferring over 280 GB worth of games, it said it'd take around 50 minutes.

Realistically the 667 GB of the PS5 internal drive can hold more than enough games that I want to play at any one time. Does anyone really need to have 20+ games on their machine?

I probably should have just deleted the games, but I transferred them over to the spare drive just in case.

Feels good to not buy a PCIe4 drive to only have games sit on it when the PS5 internal drive is big enough to play all the games I am playing at any one moment. I'll instead have them sit on a 2 TB spare external HDD.

Does anyone really need to have 20+ games on their machine?
Come On Please GIF by NBA

Last edited:

ShivinN

Gold Member
Well, I don't know about everyone here, but my gaming time is pretty sparse. I don't want to have to sit down to game and have to wait to play something for an hour as it copies from spinning media. I just don't know what I'll be in the mood to play at any moment. It's easiest to just have my top 10 on my local storage and be able to just sit down and play whenever I have a few minutes.

Leonidas

How is transfering games all the time better than being able to start them at any time?
I'm not transferring games all the time. I've had PS5 for nearly a year. I ran out of space on my PS5 recently, most of the installed games I don't play. I put those games that I don't play on the external drive where they will most likely sit for eternity. The games I do play are still on the PS5, and I now have 280 GB of space to add more games that I might actually play.

FUBARx89

Errrrr. Okay. I mean, it's not for me transferring games on and off a external hard drive if I get the urge to play them.

Last edited:

Leonidas

No HDDs are still a bother (and less reliable than SSD). Best is to look for M2 deals.
I've seen 2 TB PCIe4 for as low as $100 (which is 1/2 the price I paid for my PCIe3 PC drive), I still won't do it. I'll never get to the point where I feel the need to play 20+ games at one time. Right now I am doing 1-3 games at a time, and i am playing these games to full completion, to the point where when I'm done I probably won't want to touch it again.

Minsc

Gold Member
20 games? I dunno there's quite a few that come close to 100GB each aren't there? Certainly a ton that top 50GB. I was ok with it until I wanted the PSVR2, it sorta feels like having 2 consoles in one now, so that effectively halved my storage, definitely needed more space.

Sleepwalker

20 games? I dunno there's quite a few that come close to 100GB each aren't there? Certainly a ton that top 50GB. I was ok with it until I wanted the PSVR2, it sorta feels like having 2 consoles in one now, so that effectively halved my storage, definitely needed more space.
Cyberpunk
GT7
FIFA
COD

and that was it for my og ssd lol, I bought an m.2 just to have GT7, FIFA and cod and other games that are on a permanent basis in the console, and then use the regular internal for new games. Works well for me :)

1tb internal ssd are a little more expensive then a external these days, if you shop around, so I don’t think your argument holds any water anymore.

I don't have additional storage on my PS5. I have a Series X with the 1tb expansion card, which is my main console. It's my Game Pass and multiplat machine, so the more storage the better primarily because most of the games I play are MP games and they keep getting bigger and bigger, plus my son wants Fortnite and Apex installed at all times. PS5 doesn't need the extra storage since I only use it for exclusive SP content, which I uninstall generally after beating the game.

K' Dash

Completely support OP, having games gathering digital dust while you need space to download games that you’re actually going to play is really stupid.

You Can cold storage the games and just bring them over whenever you want: easy, cheap and faster than downloading.

And By bringing them whenever you want I meant, never bringing them back, cause let’s be honest, the new gen will come before you play them again.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
How easy is hard drive installation for PS5?

I was thinking about going with more storage.

Leonidas

1tb internal ssd are a little more expensive then a external these days, if you shop around, so I don’t think your argument holds any water anymore.
I didn't have to do any additional shopping for my 2 TB external spare HDD. That alone makes the 2 TB external HDD > 2 TB internal SSD.

The end result is the same. They'll just be sitting eternally on a cheap spare HDD I already had vs. sitting eternally on a more expensive drive that I would have to install.

Cyberpunk
GT7
FIFA
COD
Luckily only one of those games I would even consider putting on my PS5 (GT7) since it's exclusive, everything else I'd just get on PC, if I were interested.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Ran out of space on my PS5 and hooked in a 2 TB external drive I had laying around.

Transferring over 280 GB worth of games, it said it'd take around 50 minutes.

Realistically the 667 GB of the PS5 internal drive can hold more than enough games that I want to play at any one time. Does anyone really need to have 20+ games on their machine?

I probably should have just deleted the games, but I transferred them over to the spare drive just in case.

Feels good to not buy a PCIe4 drive to only have games sit on it when the PS5 internal drive is big enough to play all the games I am playing at any one moment. I'll instead have them sit on a 2 TB spare external HDD.

People with PSVR2 will have WAAAAAY more than 20 games installed at once.

Mr.Phoenix

Ps5 + internal + external > ps5 + one or the other
Came to say this.

This is ultimately the best way to go.

I have a 2TB m.2 drive in my PS5, and a 4TB external HDD sometimes connected t it to. PS5 games and apps go to an internal m.2 SSD, and I use an external HDD for PS4 stuff and cod storage for PS5 games.

I don't store anything in my stock internal SSD..

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I keep whatever I am playing "now" on my internal drive and use the additional storage in the PS5 for everything else. If I want to play something I will just move it over to internal storage.

While I cannot recommend it because of the price, the WD 4tb NVME is fast af. I moved Wilde Hearts and HW:L to that drive in less and 2 minutes.

damidu

nah its pretty easy to fill that inner drive with a small backlog
qol the internal nvme provides is off the charts, compared to delete/download or moving between external-internal

just get a 2tb and never look back.
you can later check prices of half-speed half-capacity xbox memory cards to feel better about your purchase

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I didn't have to do any additional shopping for my 2 TB external spare HDD. That alone makes the 2 TB external HDD > 2 TB internal SSD.

The end result is the same. They'll just be sitting eternally on a cheap spare HDD I already had vs. sitting eternally on a more expensive drive that I would have to install.

Luckily only one of those games I would even consider putting on my PS5 (GT7) since it's exclusive, everything else I'd just get on PC, if I were interested.
FIFA is terrible and full of cheaters on PC, but I do play cod sometimes there! but I just have it on PS as well in case I just wanna do it from the couch ha.

ShivinN

Gold Member
This all comes personal preferences/lifestyle. There is no right answer. I don't see the controversy. Some people want to manage their resources down to the most minute level. Some choose to go another route. It's hard to imagine any argument that doesn't come down to personal choice/preference.

ZoukGalaxy

Magic No GIF by Morphin

Definitely not (thread title), but try to reassure yourself as much you like, it's okay.

PS5 INTERNAL SSD >>>♾️>>> PS5 EXTERNAL HDD

If you can afford the right SSD, there is simply no contest at all.

Last edited:

Outlier

I understand what you mean, which is why I keep the 1T SSD alone and just remove games I'm not playing,, to make space.

RafterXL

Yeah, that's a no from me dawg. I guess if all you play is a couple games at a time and no multiplayer the internal drive is enough, but I have games that are basically permanently installed because they are online and some of them are huge.

It's up to each individual to determine what's best for them, but for me having a 2tb internal expansion was the smart move. Much smarter than having to constantly delete, download or transfer files from a slow external drive. When I have time to game I game, not piss around doing that kind of stuff.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sure. 4tb external usb 3 hdd is very cheap nowadays.
But storing all your owned psn games will be for nothing without internet or access to your profile.
You could store all your physical and patched games

zcaa0g

Banned
"Does anyone really need to have 20+ games on their machine?"

Fighting, racing, sports, and multi-player FPSs all have replay value, so yeah.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
How is transfering games all the time better than being able to start them at any time? I can understand you not minding it personally or wanting to save money, but it's still a worse experience.
Because its not better.

OP is tripping. Especially depending on the type and speed of the external drive.

Hurahn7

Banned
What kind of question is this? Most people don't re-download all their PC games. What makes the PS5 and Series X different? If you have the storage you throw your shit in there. Some even have backups. If you update your PC frequently, you don't even have to buy new drives; you repurpose your old drives and SSDs.

I was pleased that my external hdd I used on PS4 hooked up to the PS5 with no issue. That was nice. Barely any games really make use of the ssd but I will buy like 2tb for that expansion slot or whatever, maybe in a year.

Last edited:

njean777

I have a 1tb internal (along with the console 825gb) and an external 5tb WD black drive for ps4 games. It’s been fine for me as I offload any beaten ps5 games or old games from certain series. This set up will most likely last me the whole gen unless it makes sense to upgrade to a 2tb or larger internal drive.

Top Bottom