• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best deal on a PS5 right now?

RhyDin

I just finished FF7 remake and my girlfriend and I really don't think we can wait until summer to play Rebirth on PC. You figure, it'll be console exclusive until May 29th, which could mean waiting until August or even later for a PC release. Even then, it might be Epic Store exclusive again for over a year as remake was and I'd prefer buying it on Steam.

So, then. What's the best deal on a PS5? I'd prefer something that maintains resale value in case I want to ditch it afterwards (there really aren't many exclusives for the PS5). The bundle with Spider-Man 2 seems like the one to get right now. Is there any particular retailer or payment method I can sign up for that would give an additional promotion for spending 500 bones? I'm in the US, if it matters.

Also, if I get the disc version of FF7 Rebirth, does it actually play from the disc and load slower or does the majority of the game install to the HDD/SSD?

RhyDin

Buy a used one and you should be able to get roughly the same back when you sell it later.
I was thinking about this, but then I have to deal with potential cockroach infestations and intermittent failing hardware. It doesn't really seem to be worth the ~$100 savings.

bitbydeath

Also, if I get the disc version of FF7 Rebirth, does it actually play from the disc and load slower or does the majority of the game install to the HDD/SSD?
It installs and runs off the SSD, discs are just glorified licensing tools.

Spider-Man or MW3 bundle depending on if you want one of those games.

Also I have no clue if they have any but if you buy Amazon Premium Refurbished they have a 1 year return policy. It’s how I have a Switch. I sold mine, bought premium refinished and I will return it once the new console releases.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I was thinking about this, but then I have to deal with potential cockroach infestations and intermittent failing hardware. It doesn't really seem to be worth the ~$100 savings.
Honestly, if you're just going to play one game, you might as well just get it on the Epic store later in the year and suck it up until you've played it through and then uninstall everything. Everyone's got a hundred games on the backlog anyway.

Tbh, if you're not convinced you want to play a decent number of a console's games it could end up as a fairly expensive experience, if you're going to lose $100 when you sell, plus $70 for the game, that makes it quite expensive.

RhyDin

Spider-Man or MW3 bundle depending on if you want one of those games.

Also I have no clue if they have any but if you buy Amazon Premium Refurbished they have a 1 year return policy. It’s how I have a Switch. I sold mine, bought premium refinished and I will return it once the new console releases.
Does it have to be shipped and sold by amazon?

edit: it does;
> New, used, and refurbished products purchased from sellers other than Amazon.com are subject to the returns policy of the applicable seller.

Unfortunately, I don't see refurbs listed as sold and shipped by Amazon. Maybe it is a Switch only thing.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Honestly, if you're just going to play one game, you might as well just get it on the Epic store later in the year and suck it up until you've played it through and then uninstall everything. Everyone's got a hundred games on the backlog anyway.

Tbh, if you're not convinced you want to play a decent number of a console's games it could end up as a fairly expensive experience, if you're going to lose $100 when you sell, plus $70 for the game, that makes it quite expensive.
They would probably sell off the disk so maybe out $30 for the game (assuming sells for $40-$50).

PS5 does still have Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man 2, GoW Ragnarock and some other games that haven’t come to PC. They will all probably hit Steam/Epic but sometime later. Oh, and Unicorn Overlord doesn’t look like it’s coming to PC either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom