• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the rumoured launched of PS5 Pro and Switch 2 this year, I honestly don't know what the way forward for Xbox is

Generic

Release a portable Xbox to compete with the Switch/Steamdeck. Like a portable Series S. It would fit the Xbox ecosystem (play anything, anywhere, with shared progression).

It would be basically a Gamepass portable to match with your Xbox console or PC.

Last edited:
With all the studios and games they have coming out, all they need to do is just reduce the prices of X and S for the remainder of the gen.

David B

An Idiot
Correct and underrated statement.

Microsoft's biggest enemy has long been Microsoft. Look at how great Windows is after all these years of having no one to compete with.
Um..................... Apple and Sony and Nintendo. Apple Macs. iMac, Mac Mini, Macbook Air, Macbook Pro. Sony PS5 disc and digital, PS5 slim disc and digital, as well as way more exclusive games. Nintendo Switch as well as way more exclusive games. Microsoft has problems with Windows errors still. Also there's a big problem right now with Xbox 360 COD games. None of them will sign in anyone. But other Xbox 360 games are fine, no problems with BC on Xbox One and Xbox Series consoles. Hey I'm given Microsoft a chance at least with my 3rd Xbox Series X I bought about a week ago. But they are working with Activision on getting the games back online as I sure can't sign in to any of them COD games right now other than Xbox One and Xbox Series COD games. Microsoft is noted as having more errors and more problems than Apple and Sony.

Edmund

Want to know a secret? Most exclusives aren’t worth buying/playing. Just watch the full playthrough on YouTube. Let’s face it, some of these exclusives are pretty much movies already.

I've never seen anyone more brainwashed than you. You must really love Microsoft a lot.

nordique

I think they’re just going to ride out the series S and X and “reset” for next gen. They might go off cycles where they can pushed stronger hardware in the interim. I have a feeling they realize head on with Sony is a losing battle so they need to change their approach. Their most successful console was the one that came the year before Sony’s mainline

David B

An Idiot
I think they’re just going to ride out the series S and X and “reset” for next gen. They might go off cycles where they can pushed stronger hardware in the interim. I have a feeling they realize head on with Sony is a losing battle so they need to change their approach. Their most successful console was the one that came the year before Sony’s mainline
Hey remember what Microsoft said. If they don't make enough sales before 2027, than they will leave the console market.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
IF Xbox were to blow the PS5 Pro out of the water what benefit would it do? Third parties are not going to go above and beyond to maximize the potential. However having said that Microsoft could maximize their first party titles which would help separate them, but I almost feel it's getting to the point of diminishing returns. Once we get to 4K and we can do 60/120 with Ray Tracing there is probably very left that would be "BIG" sure 8K yada yada they will move the goalposts but for a lot of gamers that will be plenty good. AlsoIf xbox were to do that they would have already had to have R&D thermals, and devkits being designed years ago.

They are kinda screwed. I do think they will put something out as a stop gap, We will see a new system probably next year from them as their pro with marginal 10% improvements over the PS5 Pro and than One last ditch effort for Xbox in 2027-2028 To win the Console space. If that doesn't Happen I believe they go third party.

David B

An Idiot
IF Xbox were to blow the PS5 Pro out of the water what benefit would it do? Third parties are not going to go above and beyond to maximize the potential. However having said that Microsoft could maximize their first party titles which would help separate them, but I almost feel it's getting to the point of diminishing returns. Once we get to 4K and we can do 60/120 with Ray Tracing there is probably very left that would be "BIG" sure 8K yada yada they will move the goalposts but for a lot of gamers that will be plenty good. AlsoIf xbox were to do that they would have already had to have R&D thermals, and devkits being designed years ago.

They are kinda screwed. I do think they will put something out as a stop gap, We will see a new system probably next year from them as their pro with marginal 10% improvements over the PS5 Pro and than One last ditch effort for Xbox in 2027-2028 To win the Console space. If that doesn't Happen I believe they go third party.
Nah. Microsoft just be like ok we're going back to just PC now and release some of our games on Steam and battle.net since they own Activision now.

Topher

Gold Member
Hey remember what Microsoft said. If they don't make enough sales before 2027, than they will leave the console market.

WjKoYyk.png

Anthony Anderson Abc GIF by HULU

Three

Release a portable Xbox to compete with the Switch/Steamdeck. Like a portable Series S. It would fit the Xbox ecosystem (play anything, anywhere, with shared progression).

It would be basically a Gamepass portable to match with your Xbox console or PC.
I have a feeling they are going to heavily lean into dual purpose ARM/cloud computing and their portable would be more like a logitech G Cloud hybrid with enough computing power to run some of your games completely offline. That's my crazy prediction for today.

Audiophile

Gold Member
PlayStation's big IPs have an identity that's inextricably linked with the platform and brand. Xbox has Halo & Gears but they're not really in the limelight nor do they command the brand-association anymore (not to mention they're under different studios).

Much of the PlayStation line-up feels like its part of the DNA, they were launched with them and they've grown with them.

Xbox's approach now is just acquire everything. It's not the same in terms of brand perception. Sony laid the groundwork and made a lot more out of a lot less. Xbox rinsed the MS cash reserves and are now narrowly profitable on GamePass.

In the PS360 gen I was the odd one out amongst friends for having a PS3 while everyone else had 360ss. During the PS4/X1 gen it was 50/50. Now I don't know a single person with an Xbox and of those I know who game on PC, not a single one subs to Gamepass. Not a single one expresses any interest in using any other devices for it either. One person picked up an XSS for a couple months to play two games then sold it.

I think they could wrangle back a greater proportion of the traditional console hardware market, but I suspect they're just going to continue circumventing the situation and switch to a third party publisher + subscription service. I believe they planned to go down this path anyway, but I still think they wanted to do it with a greater degree of market share in the traditional space; it would have provided a stronger foundation. But they've utterly cocked up the X1 and XS gens; and are now fully pivoting into this path as if it was the only goal.

I believe Sony still has a more solid core fanbase, more inclined to turn up and blow full price on multiple AAA titles to support games on merit. I worry Xbox might lower the bar too much leading to a soup of subsidised mediocrity reliant on a more fickle subscriber who expects pretty much everything for a small monthly fee.

Ultimately it's about games as well as how tied they are with the platform holder in the consumers' eyes.

I reckon MS do one more full generation of traditional console hardware but all-digital while continuing to push into other devices, subscription services and publishing. While Sony sticks with traditional gens for a few more rounds. Likely launching consoles with readily available, optional add-on drives. MS will push more towards the more casual and Sony will lean more into the hardcore with more premium peripheral options and pro options; consistently putting out big exclusives.

We already know what's next. Publish games on all platforms. The question is will Microsoft keep making hardware too for the small portion of xbox fans or will they pack it up?

simpatico

is time to let go. at this point, it reads like a parody.
I know it's not going to happen, but if they want to leverage those studios to build the xbox brand it's the only way forward. Joe Normie who buys a PS to play COD, Madden and 2k would give in.

Last edited:
Sony and Nintendo's first party efforts have only gotten better and better, while Xbox's have only gotten worse and worse. Judging by what they have in the pipeline, I don't see things improving any time soon.

David B

An Idiot
Sony and Nintendo's first party efforts have only gotten better and better, while Xbox's have only gotten worse and worse. Judging by what they have in the pipeline, I don't see things improving any time soon.
Exactly the same way I said it too. Sony Gran Turismo, Uncharted series, The Last of Us series, Horizon series, God of War series, Killzone series, Infamous series, Ratchet & Clank series. Nintendo Mario series, Pokemon series, Animal Crossing series, Donkey Kong series, Metroid series, Pikman series, Zelda series. Microsoft with Xbox, Gears of War series, Halo series, Ori series, the rest have all just been one single game and not a series.

schaft0620

CoD will be on PlayStation till about 2034 due to 10 year multi platform provision. Unless MS wants to get fined and receive injunctions against operating in various regions of the world.
I was assuming 2023 to 2033, which would be 5 years into the PS6 gen. I think we are splitting hairs here but, Sony has plenty of time to make a CoD clone.

StereoVsn

I was assuming 2023 to 2033, which would be 5 years into the PS6 gen. I think we are splitting hairs here but, Sony has plenty of time to make a CoD clone.
Yeah, and with the latest news it’s a toss up if there will be an Xbox by then at least in the current sense.

David B

An Idiot
Or Sony buys EA and gets Battlefield exclusive? Let's see here, 2024 to 2034 is 10 years, but if they make it last year it's 2033. I think just because Microsoft owns Activision now, they should stay in the console business anyway and make a Xbox Series Z and call it the pro console and be way more powerful like 24 teraflops twice of the 12 current they have. I mean with Activision and Bethesda they just really have to stay in the gaming business. If they don't I guess Activision and Bethesda games would become PC exclusive.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Phil has openly admitted they’ve lost the console race. So at this point they aren’t going to launch new big expensive shiny hardware to tank their profits more. They’ll look at technology like GeForce now combined with gamepass to provide that onto their existing machines. They’ll leverage cloud, streaming, etc.

If they do another Xbox it’ll be an odd mid step product and not one upping itself.

Best thing they could do is ditch the S, make the X the new S, and then add a Xbox X Pro with juiced specs.

Honestly though without a library of games people want day one they can’t get anywhere else, it doesn’t matter. Xbox is a machine that plays 90% third party games, and is a catalyst to get you into gamepass.

PC users buying Xbox’s don’t exist now or are very few thanks to gamepass on PC. If PS ever introduce the same model for day one exclusives on PC, I’d ditch a PlayStation box too…

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
All of those so excited for ms to depart hardware, if there's no new xbox there's almost zero chance of a ps5 pro. Plus, you probably won't see a ps6 till 2032. Sony will have zero incentive to lose money on new hardware with no user base.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

This is something they could do almost completely in house and having it run gamepass is all it needs to do. Id kill for that device.

All of those so excited for ms to depart hardware, if there's no new xbox there's almost zero chance of a ps5 pro. Plus, you probably won't see a ps6 till 2032. Sony will have zero incentive to lose money on new hardware with no user base.
this. Plus youll pay 900 for the system, and ps+ will be 200 a year. We need competition

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Elsewhere I've seen a lot of talk about what an amazing year Xbox is likely to have with a bunch of exclusives coming. There's quite a lot of interest in their developer broadcast tomorrow, I'll be playing at least 2 games they show, likely all of them.

I don't personally feel that base PS5/Series X have really hit their stride so I'm ok with not buying a new console this year (will pick up a Switch 2, probably). So, in that sense, I'm quite happy to just keep playing this year's exclusives on Xbox. I'm more interested in that than new hardware.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

That's a "take my money" from me.

I've wanted a portable Xbox with cloud saves for years.

twilo99

It’s all over isn’t it ?
They’ll come out with games and continue their services as usual, while expanding in other areas. If one only took NeoGaf as a basis, they would legitimately think the Xbox division was going bankrupt or something.

After reading a few comments from the most respected members here I’m convinced that Xbox is in fact already bankrupt… dead man walking is the saying I believe.

SHA

Get real or get fucked because you are a clown who can only post gifs ridiculing other people opinions.
We don't need you on this board or anyone conversing like this.

I have nothing to say so let's post a funny gif and offend the guy. You are an idiot.

Enthusiast is not only about spending money on highest end rig. You can be games enthusiast and still prefer gaming on consoles.
You mix ethusiasm with preference and platform choice
I don't believe who spend the most on PCs actually beat their games seriously, there is actually a relation between sub 1 grand and sub 2 grands build owners who actually beat their games versus 5 grands build owners who don't follow up with their steam library, correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
The PS5 has already been outperforming Xbox Series very comprehensively over the last two years. Once a PS5 Pro is out, and Xbox has nothing similar to counter it with, I can only imagine the PS5 running away with it even more - especially because I imagine key multiplatform games such as GTA6 and even the next Call of Duty will end up being best on PlayStation by default because of the PS5 Pro (at least as far as consoles go).

But the PS5 Pro isn't the only thing Xbox has to contend with going forward, this is also the year that the Switch 2 apparently launches. The original Switch almost strangled and suffocated the numbers Xbox had been putting up until the end of 2016, and Xbox never recovered - and now the Switch 2 is almost here. This one could be even worse for Xbox than the original Switch was, because based on rumours, this time Nintendo's hardware doesn't have to sit out of major third party support and AAA games, the Switch 2 is, allegedly, strong enough to get most major games (probably not all of them, but most of them), including Microsoft's own Call of Duty - at that point, the Xbox starts to lose out on the one thing that has kept it going, which is that it is a good... well, that it is an alternative to PlayStation. If Switch 2 starts to fill that role, then between that and PC, I can see Xbox being even more crowded out than it already is right now, when Switch has very little overlap with it.

Honestly, based on this, I don't know what the path forward for Xbox is this generation. I think starting the next generation early is not a bad idea in and of itself, in that at least it's a fresh roll of the dice that gives them some chance of getting a do-over, but they keep failing because of specific internal issues that just rushing to launch a new generation will not fix. Their marketing is terrible, their global availability and localization is terrible, they don't have a steady stream of games, let alone a steady stream of praised and beloved games, and they have gone out of their way to remove any reason to buy an Xbox console, short of you wanting an Xbox console specifically to begin with. I don't think a new generation solves that - either they clean house completely, top down, and get new people in charge, or, and this one is probably likelier judging by the rumours, they take the route of third party publishing. Not saying the discontinue Xbox, they won't (and probably shouldn't), but I can see Xbox becoming more of a Surface style project for them, a showpiece hardware product that shows the intended best version of their software, but you can still get that software elsewhere.

Anyway, I don't know, I don't think the Xbox Series is strong or secure enough to survive a dual onslaught of a PS5 Pro and a Switch 2. What does GAF think?
I think you are pretty much overestimating impact of PS5 Pro.

PS4 sold almost 120 million consoles. Only 14,3 millions of those were PS4 Pro.

It’s about games, not hardware.
This is it. Xbox are clearly going all in on games and the infrastructure to allow them to be played whenever and wherever. They will always build hardware to play their games, but it's clear that they're not interested in fighting a losing battle in terms of hardware. Nintendo and Sony are leagues ahead in terms of hardware.

Xbox are in it to make as much money as possible and it makes perfect financial sense for them at this point to focus their efforts elsewhere over hardware.

I don't see why they can't just embrace being the gaming dudebro console again. Drop all the 'be kind' nonsense on my Home Screen and put out some bald muscley white guy games.
Microsoft is like all Big Tech companies, it's super woke. That will literally never happen again.

Enjoy whatever her name is being the main character of Gears of War!

Or, even better, just let gamepass run on the steam deck? It already runs on the windows handhelds, is there really a reason to release a portable xbox when the games are on PC already?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
This is it. Xbox are clearly going all in on games and the infrastructure to allow them to be played whenever and wherever. They will always build hardware to play their games, but it's clear that they're not interested in fighting a losing battle in terms of hardware. Nintendo and Sony are leagues ahead in terms of hardware.

Xbox are in it to make as much money as possible and it makes perfect financial sense for them at this point to focus their efforts elsewhere over hardware.

I see this argument all the time on here, and I wonder how it's become so accepted here.
It makes far less sense to spend billions of dollars to create a pipeline of games for your platform, then immediately decide to put those games on other platforms before seeing what impact they have on console sales. Yes, releasing Redfall was a mistake. Yes, Starfield didn't review as highly as was hoped. Yes, lots of games seem to be delayed. But they can't all be delayed forever.

IF Microsoft start doing whatever needs to be done to make their games score in the 90s on metacritic, they'd suddenly become an absolutely essential purchase for anyone who likes games. They'll have more exclusives hitting their systems than anyone else and at this point, for a lot of people there'll be an immediately accessible library of games that they might have missed too. Plus, Gamepass makes it really low cost for people to get access to those games.

Going 3rd party at this point when they've spent years manoeuvring into this position would be a strange decision, IMO. It might be why it hasn't got as much traction anywhere but here.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Thinking of Xbox as just a console is not the goal of Microsoft. Xbox (and its game pass) is a platform. It’s up to the consumer how they want to approach that platform. That could be PC, console or the Cloud. I don’t think MS will care how you play the content you subscribe to, just that you subscribe.

I can totally see a day when Microsoft takes their Xbox brand to PlayStation and/or Nintendo and become a subscription service. They’ve done it with their Microsoft Office software already.
Bad idea imo. That strategy will not increase sales of physical games in Manchester City nor will it increases sales of consoles that are being sold at a loss.

StueyDuck

They have a large slate of announced first party games which we've mostly seen CGI trailers for or haven't set the world on fire.

Their path should be getting those games in tip top shape and making them some of the best games ever made.

I'm gonna catch heat here but hellblade 2 while sure has the visuals is looking very iterative to the first one and avowed didn't win the hearts and minds of everyone wanting a new elder scrolls game.

They need to buckle down and really tighten up their first party lineup and maybe get different visionaries behind the wheels of these franchises to bring that fresh/interesting idea that resonates with a large audience.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

they are impatiently too preoccupied to formulate things that they believe would allow them to instant guarantee domination of the industry, to the point now it might make them got leave behind to the dust again

try to gain everything, but end up with nothing.

lot of their decision and agenda at beginning of generation bite them back right now.
  • claim that subscription is the future over everything while encourage player not to buy game = end up the subs growth stallled and other gaming publisher prefer platform that allow them to actually sold game (PS5, Switch). they expect the bussiness model would carry their brand, not vice versa with less effort of making exclusive game or pushing the console sales and brand. even recently Tom Warren reveal that the subs growth end up got held back by console sales not the otherway around.
  • claim that consoles sales doesnt matter. thats not the 'goal'. the one most matter is gamepass subs = PS5 constantly outsold Xbox 3:1.
    this affect point above and platform market size also would play huge bargain point against other gaming publisher.
  • launch 2 console with an idea to sandwich PS5 in middle with low price and performance advantage = turn out Series S is weaker than expected, PS5 is stronger than TF differences compared to XSX and the existence of Series S held back devs, some company end up prioritize launch on PS5 first. its existence also make them harder to release pro version of XSX. the console design of only digital also tied with gamepass growth
  • held 'campaigne' that exclusive bad for industry despite thats what they are actually critically in need and then later change tune once they acquire one of biggest gaming company in the world, for exclusivity.

there is more, but personally i believe Microsoft might has way better chance if they just try compete with the usual way rather than trying to change everything and do everything at once. some of stuff is good with potential (like gaming subs service) but they rather to aggresively focused on that new things while ignoring things that already been going on for decade, especially things that define them for generations. their competitor, in comparison just do things that they always do while adapting to industry change(subs and cloud service? fine they do it too but they didnt try to 'bury' what they currently have).

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
I'll tell you what the way forward for Xbox is, throwing in the towel and going third party
Exactly. CEO of Microsoft just came out with a statement and he said we will be making games available on Nintendo and PlayStation consoles in the future. Satya Nadella himself said it and is placed in many articles accross the web.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The next nintendo will have significant changes but they have to step up their graphics.

Top Bottom