• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the rumoured launched of PS5 Pro and Switch 2 this year, I honestly don't know what the way forward for Xbox is

LakeOf9

The PS5 has already been outperforming Xbox Series very comprehensively over the last two years. Once a PS5 Pro is out, and Xbox has nothing similar to counter it with, I can only imagine the PS5 running away with it even more - especially because I imagine key multiplatform games such as GTA6 and even the next Call of Duty will end up being best on PlayStation by default because of the PS5 Pro (at least as far as consoles go).

But the PS5 Pro isn't the only thing Xbox has to contend with going forward, this is also the year that the Switch 2 apparently launches. The original Switch almost strangled and suffocated the numbers Xbox had been putting up until the end of 2016, and Xbox never recovered - and now the Switch 2 is almost here. This one could be even worse for Xbox than the original Switch was, because based on rumours, this time Nintendo's hardware doesn't have to sit out of major third party support and AAA games, the Switch 2 is, allegedly, strong enough to get most major games (probably not all of them, but most of them), including Microsoft's own Call of Duty - at that point, the Xbox starts to lose out on the one thing that has kept it going, which is that it is a good... well, that it is an alternative to PlayStation. If Switch 2 starts to fill that role, then between that and PC, I can see Xbox being even more crowded out than it already is right now, when Switch has very little overlap with it.

Honestly, based on this, I don't know what the path forward for Xbox is this generation. I think starting the next generation early is not a bad idea in and of itself, in that at least it's a fresh roll of the dice that gives them some chance of getting a do-over, but they keep failing because of specific internal issues that just rushing to launch a new generation will not fix. Their marketing is terrible, their global availability and localization is terrible, they don't have a steady stream of games, let alone a steady stream of praised and beloved games, and they have gone out of their way to remove any reason to buy an Xbox console, short of you wanting an Xbox console specifically to begin with. I don't think a new generation solves that - either they clean house completely, top down, and get new people in charge, or, and this one is probably likelier judging by the rumours, they take the route of third party publishing. Not saying the discontinue Xbox, they won't (and probably shouldn't), but I can see Xbox becoming more of a Surface style project for them, a showpiece hardware product that shows the intended best version of their software, but you can still get that software elsewhere.

Anyway, I don't know, I don't think the Xbox Series is strong or secure enough to survive a dual onslaught of a PS5 Pro and a Switch 2. What does GAF think?

OverHeat

« generous god »
The PS5 has already been outperforming Xbox Series very comprehensively over the last two years. Once a PS5 Pro is out, and Xbox has nothing similar to counter it with, I can only imagine the PS5 running away with it even more - especially because I imagine key multiplatform games such as GTA6 and even the next Call of Duty will end up being best on PlayStation by default because of the PS5 Pro (at least as far as consoles go).

But the PS5 Pro isn't the only thing Xbox has to contend with going forward, this is also the year that the Switch 2 apparently launches. The original Switch almost strangled and suffocated the numbers Xbox had been putting up until the end of 2016, and Xbox never recovered - and now the Switch 2 is almost here. This one could be even worse for Xbox than the original Switch was, because based on rumours, this time Nintendo's hardware doesn't have to sit out of major third party support and AAA games, the Switch 2 is, allegedly, strong enough to get most major games (probably not all of them, but most of them), including Microsoft's own Call of Duty - at that point, the Xbox starts to lose out on the one thing that has kept it going, which is that it is a good... well, that it is an alternative to PlayStation. If Switch 2 starts to fill that role, then between that and PC, I can see Xbox being even more crowded out than it already is right now, when Switch has very little overlap with it.

Honestly, based on this, I don't know what the path forward for Xbox is this generation. I think starting the next generation early is not a bad idea in and of itself, in that at least it's a fresh roll of the dice that gives them some chance of getting a do-over, but they keep failing because of specific internal issues that just rushing to launch a new generation will not fix. Their marketing is terrible, their global availability and localization is terrible, they don't have a steady stream of games, let alone a steady stream of praised and beloved games, and they have gone out of their way to remove any reason to buy an Xbox console, short of you wanting an Xbox console specifically to begin with. I don't think a new generation solves that - either they clean house completely, top down, and get new people in charge, or, and this one is probably likelier judging by the rumours, they take the route of third party publishing. Not saying the discontinue Xbox, they won't (and probably shouldn't), but I can see Xbox becoming more of a Surface style project for them, a showpiece hardware product that shows the intended best version of their software, but you can still get that software elsewhere.

Anyway, I don't know, I don't think the Xbox Series is strong or secure enough to survive a dual onslaught of a PS5 Pro and a Switch 2. What does GAF think?
PS5 pro will sell a lot less then PS5 this year think about that…

They've just gotta do their own thing, honestly 🤷‍♂️ . Chasing either Nintendo or PS for their customers wouldn't work. Nintendo bounced back from the failure of Wii U so triumphantly that they're now the envy of the whole industry, not to mention the most valuable company on the Tokyo Stock Exchange? I mean there's always that chance that the next-gen platform could tank, but I don't see that happening now that they've got everything so dialed-in. So unless PS massively screws up in the future, which doesn't seem likely, the days of Xbox having 50% of the high-end console share in the US is history.

A dedicated app on the Steam Deck that could natively play Xbox Game Pass games would be a decent avenue to go down. I personally don't much care for Steam. A Steam Deck-like made by Microsoft would be awesome, as well. Not sure I'd buy it, but it would probably sell a few million and make Xbox some money & allow them to sell some games. Honestly it seems like they are keen to keep embracing the future of streaming and being the Netflix of games, so I think whatever gets them to the Next Big Thing in that arena is probably what's best for them.

I say all of that... but, personally I am super happy/ satisfied with my Series X and have zero interest in ever getting a PS5. At this point all I'm missing out on is Ghost of Tsushima 2 and Rise of the Ronin, and Ghost 2 hasn't even been announced yet, and RotR could totally come to Xbox at some point in the future. And whatever big third-party game I can't buy on my Series X, I have my OG launch Switch, or my Steam Deck. I don't much care for the PS-style controller, and PS5's doesn't look any better, and what I've seen of the PS5 dashboard it looks like I'd be unhappy. Also, just aesthetically, my God just what an ugly, ugly console design from Sony this generation. And the smaller "slim" really doesn't change that, in my eyes.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

The same path they took for the Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro. Make something that can obviously play third party games much better than the PS5 Pro. They should have went that route with the Series X. Consoles are too close in performance now.
I'd assume that's what they will do, but we already know they have no plans to do that, not only has Spencer said they don't (not that that means much), but we now from the court document leaks that other than a visual redesign, there is no other new Xbox Series console planned until the successor.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Switch 2 will generate a lot of excitement. I don't see it changing the landscape a ton. Nintendo has been killing it for years. Nintendo will equally humiliate Sony and MS devs when they get their hands on PS4 level hardware, further emphasizing to most people that power is not what's holding back good games.

PS5 Pro is a complete non-event. It won't sell that much. It won't change anything. It's a niche product for a small number of enthusiasts.

Last edited:
I know but it won’t make the impact that OP think
Maybe not but it will make people like myself who already own a PS5 go out and buy a PS5 Pro which either way isn't good news for Xbox.

I can see where the OP is coming from but I don't agree with him that launching a new console is going to solve anything. In fact, I think launching a new console early will doom the next console to even more failure. As most people would just wait for a PS6 and it would annoy people who bought a Series X|S recently.

They could start next gen and it wouldn't matter without a steady release of at least good games on there making it worthwhile to switch over. Software leads the hardware. They could start next gen in 2025 outclassing everything and it still wouldn't matter.

LakeOf9

Maybe not but it will make people like myself who already own a PS5 go out and buy a PS5 Pro which either way isn't good news for Xbox.

I can see where the OP is coming from but I don't agree with him that launching a new console is going to solve anything. In fact, I think launching a new console early will doom the next console to even more failure. As most people would just wait for a PS6 and it would annoy people who bought a Series X|S recently.
I don't think launching a new console is the right way to go, personally, I think going multiplatform with the big arsenal of studios they have is the more appropriate immediate way out for them. I think the real proper move is to clean house, and then invest and commit to fixing the Xbox platform. It will take a long time, require a lot of investment, and there won't be immediate results, but if they stick with it, they can bounce back just like Sony and Nintendo have in the past.

But I don't think Microsoft as a company has the culture for something like that.

Pop

The path forward for YOU as a consumer is just get a PC.

No need to own an Xbox console. Xbox will go 3rd party anyways. I doubt there is another Xbox console

//DEVIL//

Eh. you and I will care about PS5 pro. the hardcore gamers. but most of the people they will just buy a PS5 that play PS5 games. will not care about extra texture.

I also believe xbox is going to release a new complete generation in 2025 or 2026. All they need to do is hype it in 2025 and release it in 2026. just like they did when they announced the xbox series X

that will ( to me at least ) kill any hype for the pro series. Why would I buy a pro when a new gen coming 1 year after or 2 max ? I would just stick to PS5 and be done with it for now. reduce my losses on hardware.

of course,, this is me just talking now. come around the PS5 pro hype and ill be like a shmuck hitting the F5 as fast as i can do get one before bots do. its the circle of life for every hardcore gamer. just to have a buying remorse few months later when you feel you wasted your money because you have a powerful PC anyway so what is the point you cant tell the difference between ur PS5 and ur PS5 pro.

Last edited:

Jesb

I don’t think there’s anything they can do to get out of the 3rd spot. They have to just accept that and get their piece of the pie. Just forget about Sony and Nintendo. Xbox is in a much better spot than last gen. They look like they have their best year in a while. They might have the better games this year than Sony so they are finally fixing some issues with quality games.

I think it's pretty clear which path Xbox will follow...

UwRd.gif

Fredrik

I think they’ll start to further highlight that ”Xbox” isn’t just the plastic box under your TV now but a platform that can exist on multiple hardwares and streaming and possibly mobile as well.

And it’ll be a humiliating couple of years for them going forward, once PS5 Pro is out we’ll see every DF video state that the PS versions are on top, even in their upcoming 1st party Call of Duty.

Anyhow, I’m on PC now so as long as they keep on releasing the games on PC day 1 they’ll keep on having me as a customer.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The way for xbox is services and casualpass on every device. Not consoles. They dont give a shit about consoles anymore.
Their next cnsole will be all digital - IMO all digital console is not a classic home console. Home console MUST HAVE some sort of physical media.

This is so grim.
They can f off and go to another industry where they can make money instead of changing OUR industry to make more money.
They introduce subscriptions, gaas and other stuff which is not sustainable for anyone outside of biggest player ever.... which they plan to be.
We will loose all our physical media, ownership, full games at release, quality games since youcan't just make quality games and drop it on GP (m$ paid 1st party does not matter, it wouldn't be possible without their money)

Killjoy-NL

PS5 pro will sell a lot less then PS5 this year think about that…
PS4 Pro only sold 10% of total PS4 sales, so that much is certain.

OT:

There is no future for MS as platform-holder. Thinking otherwise is just delusional.

3rd party publishing is the way to go.

PS4 Pro only sold 10% of total PS4 sales, so that much is certain.

OT:

There is no future for MS as platform-holder. Thinking otherwise is just delusional.

3rd party publishing is the way to go.
People thinking MS is the only one of these companies to go hardware-less in the next 10-15 years are going to be in for a rude-awakening.

Mister Wolf

That strategy worked out so well for them…

For that strategy to have worked properly they needed to have continued it from the 360 era. Instead they created the Xbox One and fucked themselves. With the money Microsoft has there was no reason for them to have parity with the PS4 when creating the Series X.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I think they’ll start to further highlight that ”Xbox” isn’t just the plastic box under your TV now but a platform that can exist on multiple hardwares and streaming and possibly mobile as well.

And it’ll be a humiliating couple of years for them going forward, once PS5 Pro is out we’ll see every DF video state that the PS versions are on top, even in their upcoming 1st party Call of Duty.

Anyhow, I’m on PC now so as long as they keep on releasing the games on PC day 1 they’ll keep on having me as a customer.
Thinking of Xbox as just a console is not the goal of Microsoft. Xbox (and its game pass) is a platform. It’s up to the consumer how they want to approach that platform. That could be PC, console or the Cloud. I don’t think MS will care how you play the content you subscribe to, just that you subscribe.

I can totally see a day when Microsoft takes their Xbox brand to PlayStation and/or Nintendo and become a subscription service. They’ve done it with their Microsoft Office software already.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Weird thing to go on about the Switch 2. Especially when just as likely to have a dampener effect on PlayStation than Xbox. most likely even more since it’ll crater PS performance in Japan.

Microsoft certainly needs to have an answer to the PS5 Pro since that will have a halo effect on the PlayStation ecosystem as a whole. A Pro launch also coincides (likely) with a PS5 price cut.

Situation is fluid, though.

Last edited:
In one scenario, you have to pay $100 or wait until sales appear which may take weeks or months depending on the game and retailer. In the other scenario, you only have to wait a week at most (but usually 3-5 days) to purchase the game at $70. Not remotely the same.
FOMO is real for some MOFOS.

samoilaaa

The way for xbox is services and casualpass on every device. Not consoles. They dont give a shit about consoles anymore.
Their next cnsole will be all digital - IMO all digital console is not a classic home console. Home console MUST HAVE some sort of physical media.

This is so grim.
They can f off and go to another industry where they can make money instead of changing OUR industry to make more money.
They introduce subscriptions, gaas and other stuff which is not sustainable for anyone outside of biggest player ever.... which they plan to be.
We will loose all our physical media, ownership, full games at release, quality games since youcan't just make quality games and drop it on GP (m$ paid 1st party does not matter, it wouldn't be possible without their money)
all consoles will be full digital next gen not only xbox , if you pay attention you will see that digital only is inevitable , xbox on the other hand might become a streaming machine

Top Bottom