• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post-Starfield reviews, which game do you see doing best on the GOTY circuit this year?

Which of the following games do you see doing best on the GOTY circuit this year?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepSpace5D

Yeah I’m thinking BG3 seems to have the affection of the industry this year, in a similar way that Elden Ring had it last year. Maybe not quite on the level of Elden Ring, but it does appear to be the critical darling of 2023. I think it gets the upset over Zelda this year.

sendit

For me its up there with Sekiro as one of my favourite FROM game…so for me it’s absolutely my GOTY.
Sekiro actually took skill. AC6 is more build/loadout dependent versus skill. The difficulty curve in AC6 is ridiculous. It goes from pew pew missions to curb stomping your face with boss fights.

John Bilbo

If BG3 or ToTK wins and sets a trend of some kind with their open endedness in their gameplay there is a chance that we as players win as well.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sekiro actually took skill. AC6 is more build/loadout dependent versus skill. The difficulty curve in AC6 is ridiculous. It goes from pew pew missions to curb stomping your face with boss fights.
That’s what Armored Core is all about, the reason I fell in love with AC series in the first place…so I highly disagree with you.

gothmog

Gold Member
I think TotK is going to clean up, but as someone who held off on BG3 for Starfield I'm happy that I have what could arguably be a better game in my backlog after I'm done with Starfield.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
TOTK possibubbly the best game ever designed

BG3 is not cormplete and buggy last act will drag it down to 95 or 94 eventurally

nobody else can compete

Hugare

BG 3 shook the industry

It will be a tough one between Totk/BG 3, like Bloodborne/TW 3 was in 2015

But just like Bloodborne, TotK is a natural evolution of past games. Damn good, but nothing surprising.

TW 3 was surprising af. I wasnt even going to buy it on release, and now its one of my favorite games. Inspired tons of open world games going forward.

I expect the same with BG 3, hopefuly

Hudo

Zelda and BG3 for me so far. I don't doubt that Starfield will be a highly rated game but I think it will be a "solid Bethesda" game. I don't see it on the same level as Skyrim was. But who knows. Maybe I am wrong and Starfield will be the game of the generation or something.

damidu

Zelda and BG3 for me so far. I don't doubt that Starfield will be a highly rated game but I think it will be a "solid Bethesda" game. I don't see it on the same level as Skyrim was. But who knows. Maybe I am wrong and Starfield will be the game of the generation or something.
reviews are out man, its not even game of the month, with bg3 around.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Zelda.

BG3 on consoles is still a no show, and with it having inconsistent performance throughout the game on PC, I’m starting to wonder if they are afraid to show it. Maybe they don’t want to happen with Starfield, with saying it’s locked at 30 fps.

Last edited:

linko9

I get the impression that a lot more critics have played Zelda than BG3, so any outlet that gives the award based on votes or consensus is going to favor Zelda I'd guess.

sendit

Zelda.

BG3 on consoles is still a no show
, and with it having inconsistent performance throughout the game on PC, I’m starting to wonder if they are afraid to show it. Maybe they don’t want to happen with Starfield, with saying it’s locked at 30 fps.
Agreed. If only BG3 had a real release date on a* console.

Just saw the reviews for Starfield. An 88 OC is pretty solid and right about what I thought it would be (85-95).

From your list though if I had to pick the next game that I would play it would be FFXVI. BG3 would be a really really close second for me.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I love Final Fantasy...even the shit ones (never played MMO) but as much as I'd love to see it get some recognition, it's Zelda sweep.

Oddly, the media fellatio for TotK ended alot quicker than BotW so we may see some spreading of awards. Hopefully some smaller (Non AAA) games get love.

Robb

Gold Member
It’s definitely going to be between Zelda and Baldur’s Gate.

I’m thinking BG3 will take it personally. Zelda was always expected to be outstanding, but Larian just blew everyone away with BG3. They deserve it!

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Hogwarts Legacy MUST BE nominated. Best surprise of the year. Spider-Man 2 and Alan Wake 2 can fight for a place.
Hogwarts deserves a nom, but I doubt it gets it. Too many other great games have come out this year that can take it's place that won't give it any of the blowback that a Hogwarts nom would get.

DeaDPo0L84

BG3 deserves it, but I'd give a nod to ToTK and HL, those are really the only 3 games I'd even consider nominating at this point.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
1. Baldur's Gate 3
2. Zelda TOTK

Starfield's release will have 0 bearings on this. It was always going to be between BG3 and Zelda.

Nobody_Important

Also I get people saying it's between Zelda and BG3, but to me it's not close. You can't fuck a Bear or swear your alleigence to an ancient Eldritch horror in Tears of the Wild.

Nuff said 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Can't recommend anything else than BG3. I'm not even a fan of CRPGs being all honest here, but Larian deserves to win GOTY.

SJRB

Gold Member
Baldur's Gate has it in the bag (of holding) man, and it's not even close.

Only TOTK might be close, but I doubt it.

Nobody_Important

You can create a giant penis monster and war crime torture machines in TOTK tho
Yeah well Zelda doesn't have Karlach.

baldurs-gate-3-karlach-1.jpg

I win.

Last edited:

X-Wing

Baldur's Gate took everyone by surprise on how good it was. It is also a generation and genre defining game. I think it will win game of the year.

RyRy93

I agree with what some others have said about the TOTK hype dying down pretty quickly, I don’t think it had the same impact as release as BOTW so I think BG3 will edge it. They’ll both have GOTY awards in the hundreds when the dust has settled with maybe a few other games in double figures

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Of the games listed I'd Say Baldur's Gate 3.

RE4 could be considered if the VR version is released this year. Absolute wizardry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom