• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PureXbox] Starfield wins GOTY

gokurho

Starfield may not have been exactly what everyone was expecting in many ways - such is the trouble with modern levels of pre-release hyperbole - but it absolutely gave us a great deal of what we personally wanted from Bethesda once that same hype died down. This is, for better or worse depending on your outlook, Skyrim in space rather than the great revolution some had promised.

That promised freedom, the freedom to traverse huge swathes of space, to blast off into the endless void and make our own adventures, absolutely hasn't come to fruition here, only a fool would tell you it has. However, whilst it doesn't reach the heights it set out for itself, there's still a fascinating world to explore, a classic slice of Bethesda RPG action that sucked us in and kept us fully absorbed for its entire duration.

Some may have found it a little too empty, a bit too disjointed and slow-moving, but we thoroughly enjoyed it as we stated in our review at the time;
"Starfield is an enormous space odyssey that serves up some incredibly evocative and engaging exploration, satisfying combat, and a narrative that had us hooked right to the end. Yes there are issues here with the usual jank, and some very messy and fiddly menus and interactions, but all of these problems feel minor when compared to everything this game gets right.

In a year that's been packed full of absolutely essential games, Starfield manages to sit right up top with some of the best of them. After all the hype and bluster, this is just a very, very good RPG and a game we'll be playing and replaying for a long time to come."
Please note that some external links on this page are affiliate links, which means if you click them and make a purchase we may receive a small percentage of the sale. Please read our FTC Disclosure for more information.
Winner Dave GIF by Barstool Sports

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Does it have to be a console exclusive specific title for these websites or something?

Last edited:

SenkiDala

The potential for greatness is there but to me, it seems like that this game needs 2-3yrs worth of No Man's Sky style post release development before I'd consider putting down money for it.
I don't think so. Because the difference between Hello Games and Bethesda, outside the fact that HG are actually talented developers, is that Hello Games directly admitted that they might have fucked up on many points and that they had to change things, to correct things, to make the game evolve, while Bethesda is basically saying that their games is kind of perfect but it is just us, gamers, who are not understanding how great they are.

Last edited:

Roberts

Somebody sooner or later would have given it a GOTY award so it is not surprising an xbox-centric site did it. We can all have a chuckle, alright.

Despite what people say here and other places that it is shit and a total failure, many of us loved it (Starfield OT seems to be the most popular game discussion thread here this year and if you look at it, most of the people loved it or at least enjoyed it). There are game-games and Hi-Fi Rush is my favourite one this year and then there is Starfield which is one monumental event that transcends the typical boundaries of what is usually expected from a game. I enjoyed NMS and Mass Effect trilogy is one of my favourite games ever but even those games didn't fulfil my childhood fantasies of space travel the way Starfield did. It's like if you are Harrison Ford in Blade Runner and Batty tells you that "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe" monologue and at the end you just nod and say:"I know, man. I've seen it in Starfield. I also, helped out an old granny lost in space, met Amelia Earhart clone and had a few gunfights in zero-G. How do you like them apples?"

Last edited:

elmos-acc

I would respect PureXbox for their choice if it didn't come with multiple asterisks.

"...may not have been exactly what everyone was expecting in many ways - such is the trouble with modern levels of pre-release hyperbole - but..."

"...absolutely hasn't come to fruition here, only a fool would tell you it has. However..."

"Some may have found it a little too empty, a bit too disjointed and slow-moving..."

"Yes there are issues here with the usual jank, and some very messy and fiddly menus and interactions, but all of these problems..."

Such bravery from PureXbox to choose such a misunderstood and unappreciated GOTY! 2023 must have been an awful year for gaming for them.

DJ12

The potential for greatness is there but to me, it seems like that this game needs 2-3yrs worth of No Man's Sky style post release development before I'd consider putting down money for it.
Not going to happen, in a year a version will be released with all the mods fixing the game included, then atarfield will be dead to Bethesda, its what they do.

Until there's the chance for easy cash grab on the next consoles that cone out. When it will be more community fixes added and rereleased.

They lost me at 'traverse swathes of space...' there was no space travel, you were just stuck in a box that looked like space but couldn't travel anywhere. Fucking lying shills. With everything else that dropped this year, there's no fucking way on earth you could even consider it as GOTY. I am still wondering how it reviewed as well as it did.

The games a fucking dud. I'll give them one more chance with their next game, but I'm not convinced it will be good.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Gotta love how they point the finger at the pre-release hype and promises…Yes Xbox site,promises made by Bethesda and Xbox,hype fueled by you and others like you as well as Bethesda and Xbox..
The copium is enormous lmao
They're already making the same mistake with Hellblade 2, which is a game that will have even less appeal that Starfield. It's a damn shame as I have some confidence it will be legit good, but am still skeptical given how long it has taken to come out.

"Skyrim in space"

I shake my head whenever I read this. Starfield is not "Skyrim in space". Skyrim is an immerisive world with intriguing places you stumble upon while traversing an amazing world, listening to awesome music and ambiance. You get distracted by something while traveling and are served a little narrative that makes the game feel handcrafted. One of the first points of interest you find is a cave inhabited by bandits who have tricked one of their blind members into reading a blank book.

This is not Skyrim in space.

Last edited:
Top Bottom