• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PureXbox] Starfield wins GOTY

Buggy Loop

Just saw this video floating around and your pic goes well with it

A series S

Frustrated World Cup GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Starfield is a game that was designed for people like me, I think, since I love every hour I am in so far, and it is around 40h. Great game.

Hope you have fun with the rest of your time with this certified GoTY winner game.

I put in 120hrs and will probably put in another 30, 40 when the first expansion (and mod kit) comes out.

Fake

Playstation awarded Baldurs Gate 3 as GOTY…Really not the same as Xbox and its shill contingents

You forgot that Spider-Man 2 got like 10 awards including the award for the 'best story' with is fucking hilarious.

If Spider-Man 2 can win an award for the best story I pretty sure Starfield can win an award for the best game of the year.

But yeah, Playstation fanboys and Xbox fanboys are pretty much the same shill contingents no matter how much you spin.

Last edited:

Gojiira

They're already making the same mistake with Hellblade 2, which is a game that will have even less appeal that Starfield. It's a damn shame as I have some confidence it will be legit good, but am still skeptical given how long it has taken to come out.
Yep, tarting it up as though its anything but a glorified visual showcase. The gameplay which should matter first and foremost I have zero confidence in, NT just dont make satisfying gameplay and I really dont think thats a hot take or exaggeration. I can already see the gaslighting that will go on when HB2 is actually just a painfully boring slog but as usual Xbox will be the misanthropic underdogs held back by Sony and Playstation fanboys 😩

BigLee74

They lost me at 'traverse swathes of space...' there was no space travel, you were just stuck in a box that looked like space but couldn't travel anywhere.
What is space, if not a box?

You COULD travel within that box - fly to the derelicts, fly amongst space debris and asteroids, and if you had the time or were mad enough given the slow system flight speed, fly up to (and through 😂) planets.

You could then warp and jump to any other system. It’s their implementation of space in their engine, and it works perfectly fine for the game.

It amazes me that this is the thing people chose to gripe about in Starfield. There are much bigger gameplay issues that you should be mashing your teeth over!

Oh, and having completed both, Starfield was a better game than HiFi Rush.

nial

Gold Member
This and Playstation awards compete side to side to be the worst fanboys awards.
I don't think so. For example, no one from Push Square's staff considered Spider-Man 2 to be their GOTY (they preferred BG3, AW2 and heck, even stuff like Yakuza Gaiden and Blasphemous 2). PlayStation Lifestyle hasn't posted its GOTY yet, but they weren't afraid to give it to Elden Ring last year.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I know you are posting this for fun, but damn, I can't stand such disrespect. This is a 200+ $ present, and there is a good chance that his parents during their childhood only had a fraction of what this kid is getting. The parents need to better teach their kids the value of things...
100% agreed if I would have acted like that to a present my father would have destroyed me

dean ambrose sport GIF by WWE

What is space, if not a box?

You COULD travel within that box - fly to the derelicts, fly amongst space debris and asteroids, and if you had the time or were mad enough given the slow system flight speed, fly up to (and through 😂) planets.

You could then warp and jump to any other system. It’s their implementation of space in their engine, and it works perfectly fine for the game.

It amazes me that this is the thing people chose to gripe about in Starfield. There are much bigger gameplay issues that you should be mashing your teeth over!

Oh, and having completed both, Starfield was a better game than HiFi Rush.
Nope that was just one of the many things that was shit about the game. Boring story, boring characters, rubbish factions and crap quests are others. Combat is also pretty fucking boring too.

Hi-Fi Rush (from the little I played) isn't that special, but it's at least more interesting than Starfield.

Fredrik

Starfield is a game that was designed for people like me, I think, since I love every hour I am in so far, and it is around 40h. Great game.
Same here but my timer says 211 hours. It has big issues but it’s still my GOTY. Haven’t played it in a couple weeks now, and mother in law is occupying my computer room over Christmas grrr. Should try it on the Deck. Anyhow looking forward to jump in again soon and I can’t wait for the promised updates in 2024 and expansion.

Last edited:

Dazraell

So we will be getting goty edition eventually thanks to that site
Oh yeah, they will definitely push this. I remember how people were laughing at them for releasing Game of the Year Edition for Fallout 4 while The Witcher 3 was the one that took the spotlight and received the majority of goty awards that year

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
"Skyrim in space"

I shake my head whenever I read this. Starfield is not "Skyrim in space". Skyrim is an immerisive world with intriguing places you stumble upon while traversing an amazing world, listening to awesome music and ambiance. You get distracted by something while traveling and are served a little narrative that makes the game feel handcrafted. One of the first points of interest you find is a cave inhabited by bandits who have tricked one of their blind members into reading a blank book.

This is not Skyrim in space.
Yeah, I see posts saying stuff like the one below as if the game is salvageable, the answer is NO. This cannot be patched in. This is a design flaw that can only be fixed in a sequel which we probably wont get for another 10 years. Skyrim's world is magestic to explore. its fun, interesting, and above all unpredictable. its quests are rewarding. the exploration is rewarding. and despite the randomized dungeons, they feel handcrafted like you said. Starfield has none of that and even the handcrafted levels feel boring.

The potential for greatness is there but to me, it seems like that this game needs 2-3yrs worth of No Man's Sky style post release development before I'd consider putting down money for it.

Top Bottom