• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox wants Starfield to have the 12-year staying power of Skyrim

havoc00

Xbox and Bethesda want Starfield to be the longstanding hit Skyrim has been, but right now I’m unsure if they can pull it off. Well, head of Xbox Phil Spencer says as much at CCXP 2023, comparing the longevity of Skyrim to the plans Bethesda currently has for Starfield.

That’s our goal,” Spencer begins. “Skyrim is such an amazing hit from Bethesda Game Studios, and talking to Todd Howard and the team what they wanted to do as people who love space and space exploration is give them that same opportunity [as Skyrim].

“So we’ve already announced that we’ve got our next expansion coming, Shattered Space. We’ve already told the community that they’ll get all the modules that they need, so they can go and create their own content in Starfield, which has been so important to Skyrim. So a tonne of confidence that for many, many years, Starfield sitting very high in the gameplay.”

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
No Way Commando GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is their problem. They want everything to be gaas. Nah, work on the fucking sequel asap and fix the issues people have with the game. uncharted 1, Mass effect 1, assassins creed 1 were not perfect but their devs went back to work immediately and made sure the sequels definitely were.

They now have a good base to work off of. Go ahead and make space exploration fun. Bring back the skyrim feel when you're exploring and stumbling into new quests. Work on a better story and take the series to the next level. Expansions can never do that. You almost always put the b or c teams on it and they dont have as much resources.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
There is no chance in hell that will happen. You people like Niko who has done 33 playthroughs. I cannot fathom anyone putting THAT much time into a game. Witcher 3 is probably my favorite game from the last 8 years. I've only done about 8 playthroughs in that time.

Starfield's overall game design simply doesn't allow for that kind of legs. Starfield feels like a collection of small tiny insignificant worlds, as opposed to a large open breathing world that Skyrim brought. NO amount of MODing can fix that.

I'd love to be proved wrong.

I will probably play Starfield again, once it comes to PS5. Yes, it will happen. MS will want the revenue since it has failed to move the needle in terms of consoles sold and/or Gamepass subscriptions. I look forward to the LOL icons.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What they want and what they'll get are two very different things, I think.

They'd have to pull a Hello Games and start massively overhauling all the games systems and release giant useful updates a few times a year (for free). Not likely, and even if they did, it's not likely to save this game.

Expand planet exploration and have 10 expansion packs the same quality as the Crimson Fleet questline and you have me for 12 years.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's nice to want things but this is in the hands of the modders.
Yep no single player has those kind of legs without long term content updates and graphical updates. And the modders will, or will not be the ones providing them.

killatopak

It’s possible but I don’t think it has a good chance.

Skyrim was more than the game itself. It had memes and memorable stuff that was made popular beyond the game itself. Arrow in the knee, giant space program, one of greatest osts, fus ro dah, lore, and of course mods.

Mods are amazing but it’s not what is being talked about and discussed in Skyrim/Bethesda games community. It was everything else. Unfortunately the everything else is what’s Starfield is lacking.

GHG

Get to work on making it better then...follow CDPRs lead

Well that's the thing, CDPR are just about to release official mod tools for the Witcher 3 early next year.

Even the competition for what game/platform modders decide to make mods for is heating up, there's no guarantee the best modders are going to be making mods for Starfield over stuff like the Witcher 3 or even Cyberpunk. The landscape that existed when Syrim launched is not the same as the gaming landscape today.

Larian will also be releasing BG3 modding tools at some point as well.

Last edited:

Neff

Unless I'm mistaken Skyrim had insane legs because there was a lot of crazy stuff you could do with the many mechanics and systems, and because the mission/faction structure was impressively dense. I work with a guy who has broken the game endless times and told me about all the wacky obscure stuff he's done, simply because he enjoyed doing it. After 100+ (admittedly very enjoyable) hours I just don't see that same kind of potential in Starfield.

I cant see it. I put in 200 hours and I'm done. That may seem a lot but for me that'd be just getting started on any other bethesda game. There are 2 big problems with the game. 1st off they removed all meaningful exploration. Even the 'random' encounters in space are trash. The same few events just repeat even if you kill the buggers or steal their ships. The 2nd problem is replayability. Rerolling utterly sucks. The leveling and upgrading systems are so obnoxious and grindy I cant face doing them ever again. So yeah I'm done. Wont even bother with DLC.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Man if the modding scene makes the reception of Starfield turn around on it's head here I'm going to laugh.

Before mod tools: Trash game

After mod tools: I always supported you

Top Bottom