• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Studios head Matt Booty has claimed that Starfield will have the fewest bugs of any Bethesda game

Draugoth

Gold Member
Starfield-Dialogue-1280x713.jpg

Xbox Game Studios head Matt Booty has claimed that upcoming RPG Starfield will have the fewest bugs of any Bethesda game.

“We have an awful lot of people internally playing Starfield, working with Todd and the team,”

he told Giant Bomb.

“I see bug counts and just by the numbers if it shipped today, Starfield would already have the fewest bugs of any Bethesda game ever shipped.”

Some of Bethesda’s games have been lauded for their scope upon release, but in the same breath criticised for poor performance and other technical issues.

Xbox boss Phil Spencer also told Giant Bomb that Starfield had a much earlier release date before Microsoft acquired the company for $7.5 billion and delayed the game twice.

He said of Bethesda:

The team has definitely matured. They’ve got Fallouts and Skyrims and Elder Scrolls under their belt. When the acquisition closed, this game had a significantly earlier ship date, earlier than the date we had first set for Starfield. We sat down with Todd and the team and explained we wanted to give them the time.

I think Matt said we have every QA person in our entire company playing Starfield right now, looking at bug counts, looking at the quality of where we are. The nice thing about what we showed today from my perspective is that was the game. We’ve been playing the game for quite a while and that’s the game.

Last edited:
I think it is weird, that he said that. I think, Todd should have told it from his perspective. That would sound much nicer (we finally told them how to make games vs. thanks to MS we finally have the time to make a more bug free experience)

gothmog

Gold Member
Nobody cares either way so why even say it? As long as it's playable and at worst charmingly janky it will be a success.

JayK47

Normally I would not pre-order a Bethesda game, but now?

I am not interested in beta testing yet another Bethesda game.

Neff

In fairness every game ever made has bugs. It's just that Bethesda games have more than their share and have gotten a lot of passes in the past because people are excited about their games and were prepared to look the other way in favour of fun. Considering how this game has to be a slam-dunk for MS, critically and commercially, they can't afford for it to be coming apart at the seams and want to make a promise that it'll be robust.

Gambit2483

Please tell me Elder Scrolls 6 has dropped this bubble gum and ducttape held together engine.

Starfield should be the absolute last game to use the creation engine or any form of it.

StueyDuck

Hahahah I'm sorry but just that the bar is "less bugs than usual" is making me laugh. Like that was a goal on a whiteboard somewhere 🤣

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just a laughably amateurish comment.

The tens of millions of people that love and buy BGS games simply don’t care.

The bugs not an issue and are mocked by a tiny percentage of people in the grand scheme of things.

Just keep ya trap shut because now as soon as there’s a bug people will be like hurdur booty said

Sybrix

That statement means fuck all.

If Fallout 4 had 1000 bugs and Starfield has 999 his comment would have merit.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Xbox never learns. First with all that bullshit around "Most Powerful console" "12TF", "best multiplatform games", now they want to release 4 games a years...sure just start releasing one good game before you think you can release 4 good games.

This company loves hurting themselves and disappoint their fans and then they try to distract everything to shit over the competition and act like it's their fault (playing victim) so that they look like the "good guy" again. No wonder you can't compete.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Maybe people need to stop asking them the questions?

But where's the fun, it's more fun to take a soundbite out of context and run wild with it lol.

But in all seriousness, more people need to watch that Spencer/Booty giant bomb interview. They go in with a lot of informal questions that you never see execs like Phil or Jim get asked.

They're even point blank asked a favorite-of-many question about game pass's sustainability and continued growth.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
just stop talking and let the game prove itself 🙄🤦🏼‍♂️

edit: my point is this will backfire badly for them if this claim ends up being not true

Yeah, I'm not sure why they are talking like this. They are adding too much pressure on the game now.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
But where's the fun, it's more fun to take a soundbite out of context and run wild with it lol.

But in all seriousness, more people need to watch that Spencer/Booty giant bomb interview. They go in with a lot of informal questions that you never see execs like Phil or Jim get asked.

They're even point blank asked a favorite-of-many question about game pass's sustainability and continued growth.

There's ZERO chance they actually answered this question honestly. Lets be real.

I hope so. If it is as slick running as it looked during the presentation we could be looking at something special.

Top Bottom