• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox expected Starfield to sell 10 million copies on PS5 but decided it's worth more as an exclusive

No one gives a shit but replies anyway, and with a lazy SonyToo argument on top lol.

There's nothing profound about creating great games in the gaming market. That should be the expectation. See Sony and Nintendo and their market positions for further proof.
Well that’s subjective. I’ll take MS and Nintendo games over Sony’s any day.

twilo99

Looky now, I don’t have a PS5 so if this was a Sony exclusive I would have to spend around $500 (PS5 $400+$70 for the game) just to play the game! This is Sony’s way.

If you don’t have an Xbox, you don’t have to buy one to play this.

If you don’t have a gaming PC, you don’t have to buy one to play.

If you don’t have a Windows based laptop, you don’t have to buy one to play.

All you need to have is any hardware that can run a web browser, and you can play the game.

MacBook, chrome book, Linux based.. whatever you got cloud gaming is agnostic.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I just found out I can stream this on XBO. Now I need to get a month of GamePass. I did this with Gears 5 and Halo Infinite. This will cost me a handful of dollars. Versus purchasing it outright. I don’t see how they’re making their money if a large majority of people do this. I’d imagine the superior looking version sells for obvious reasons.
Do a large majority of people buy a single month of game pass to stream a single game to their Xbox One? That doesn't sound like something a large majority of people do.

I'm sure there will be some people who subscribe for a month to try the game, but I doubt it's a large majority. if they try it and end up not liking it then they're only out the cost of the single month subscription fee instead of $70. If they do like it they can buy the game before their subscription ends for 20% off.

For thr life of me I can't see how that's a bad thing. Who cares if Microsoft makes any money that way?

jumpship

Yeah, Like Naughty Dog, Psygnosis, and Guerrilla Games were small studios

I don't expect you to see the difference mind...

Naughty Dog was small and Guerrilla was mid size (95 employees), Psygnosis a small publisher (£50 million in todays money why its constantly brought up nowadays is laughable)

Bethesda alone squashes those combined multiple times over in terms of size at purchase.

Whats happening today ain't karma, its the result of a badly run gaming division doing what it does best to compete.

Naughty Dog was small and Guerrilla was mid size (95 employees), Psygnosis a small publisher (£50 million in todays money why its constantly brought up nowadays is laughable)

Bethesda alone squashes those combined multiple times over in terms of size at purchase.

Whats happening today ain't karma, its the result of a badly run gaming division doing what it does best to compete.
Same diff Jim., buying established talent.... SONY got a history of that from music to films and games ....

All you need to have is any hardware that can run a web browser, and you can play the game.
Screw that. Anyone even half-way serious about gaming is smart enough to not play via streaming.

If I didn't already own one, I'd buy a $500 Series X to play this before I even considered streaming the entirety of this game through a web browser.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Screw that. Anyone even half-way serious about gaming is smart enough to play via streaming.

If I didn't already own one, I'd buy a $500 Series X to play this before I even considered streaming the entirety of this game through a web browser.
Honestly, I'm at the point that I'd pick up a few Sony exclusives through a web browser if I could. Save me $500. But yeah, cloud gaming is still far from perfect and is at best a secondary option.

10m unit sales?

Assuming a blended average lifetime sale price over that 10m is $50 and that means they're leaving $500m revenue (gross, or $350m net after Sony's 30% cut) on the table.

Also...

Assuming 50% of that installed base makes at least $10 worth of lifetime DLC purchases, then that's another $50m ($35m net) revenue.

It's a pretty expensive way to try to preserve the market share of an underdog gaming brand.

Edit:

Then again...

If they're taking a punt on the idea that if say some % of those 10m PS5 owners would see Starfield as enough of a system seller that they're willing to come into Xbox then they probably see one (or a blend) of the following scenarios:

1. e.g. ~60% buy on PC -> ~$300m gross revenue + DLC sales + additional lifetime current/future Xbox game sales now they're an Xbox brand customer

2. e.g. ~30% buy an Xbox S|X + the game -> $2.1b - $3.3b gross revenue + DLC sales + additional lifetime current/future Xbox game sales now they're an Xbox brand customer

Doesn't scale market share aggressively but increases lifetime revenue potential aggressively, given scope for on selling of more titles once they acquire these customers to the Xbox brand.

(All crude estimations - pinch of salt)

Last edited:

twilo99

Screw that. Anyone even half-way serious about gaming is smart enough to not play via streaming.

Have you tried it recently?

Bigbelly

Banned
I’m just wondering how the next big tent pole game from these new acquisitions will turn out.
Xbox have been dog shit managing their old IPs, how long I’m until they fuck this shit up?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
You mean, the same thing you, CatLady CatLady and 2-3 others constantly do ?

The lack of self awareness is really something else.

Now, go astroturf somewhere else, I seriously can't understand how you haven't been banned yet, always the same tired song and dance , seriously man, how.much are they paying you ?

Again, you're being Senjutsu Sage 2.0 in here.

At least in the acquisition thread that would be because most of us have been thread-banned. It looks the same from this side just swap who the bolded applies to. I mean, how much does sony pay you?

You can keep trying to make this “point” you think is so profound for some reason, but no one gives a shit. No one with a brain believes that Sony wouldn’t employ the same tactics as MS if they were even half as successful as a company.

I think a lot of people here are just too young to remember Sony entering the industry and shaking it up with money they earned outside of the video game business. Otherwise we’d see a lot less posts comparing MS to Sony/Nintendo and how the actions are so wildly different.

As for “nurturing/organic” versus buying, that’s always been fiction nonsense. It’s like small market baseball fans whining about the Yankees or Dodgers. Except in this case it’s not small market, it’s fans of the #1 company in the industry. It’s just a meaningless qualifier they add on to Sony’s history to make themselves feel better.

So they paid a company money to exclude other platforms prior to purchasing the company… wow, what a difference.

Chukhopops

Can't believe people are still mad about the Starfield exclusivity, it's been almost three years now. Just get over it.

I used to find it sad how people on the green side would always expect FF ports when they will never happen but this is somehow even sadder.

FrankWza

As for “nurturing/organic” versus buying, that’s always been fiction nonsense. It’s like small market baseball fans whining about the Yankees or Dodgers. Except in this case it’s not small market, it’s fans of the #1 company in the industry. It’s just a meaningless qualifier they add on to Sony’s history to make themselves feel better.
No one is concerned with payroll. It's the absorption of entire other franchises so you can win your division after being in last place for 2 decades because your owner is worth more than every single team combined. Anti competitive. When they tried to compete they got beat again and again.

I’m just wondering how the next big tent pole game from these new acquisitions will turn out.
Xbox have been dog shit managing their old IPs, how long I’m until they fuck this shit up?
If Starfield comes out as messy as Redfall, that will be 2 "current gen" games in a row that fail. MS has yet to show the fruits of their spending spree.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
10m unit sales?

Assuming a blended average lifetime sale price over that 10m is $50 and that means they're leaving $500m revenue (gross, or $350m net after Sony's 30% cut) on the table.

Also...

Assuming 50% of that installed base makes at least $10 worth of lifetime DLC purchases, then that's another $50m ($35m net) revenue.

It's a pretty expensive way to try to preserve the market share of an underdog gaming brand.

Edit:

Then again...

If they're taking a punt on the idea that if say some % of those 10m PS5 owners would see Starfield as enough of a system seller that they're willing to come into Xbox then they probably see one (or a blend) of the following scenarios:

1. e.g. ~60% buy on PC -> ~$300m gross revenue + DLC sales + additional lifetime current/future Xbox game sales now they're an Xbox brand customer

2. e.g. ~30% buy an Xbox S|X + the game -> $2.1b - $3.3b gross revenue + DLC sales + additional lifetime current/future Xbox game sales now they're an Xbox brand customer

Doesn't scale market share aggressively but increases lifetime revenue potential aggressively, given scope for on selling of more titles once they acquire these customers to the Xbox brand.

(All crude estimations - pinch of salt)
It's really about building the Xbox brand to entice more customers into buying into the ecosystem. It isn't just Starfield but Starfield, Fable, Hellblade, Forza, Perfect Dark, etc. The combination of these games if they turn out great would mean millions of additional Xbox customers which is what Microsoft wants. Said customers will then spend on consoles, Game Pass, Xbox Live subscriptions, accessories, etc. A long-term customer is far more valuable than a one-time customer.

Starfield isn't in its own bubble, it's part of a long term plan and strategy.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
At least in the acquisition thread that would be because most of us have been thread-banned. It looks the same from this side just swap who the bolded applies to. I mean, how much does sony pay you?

Hey Catlady.

Frankly, no one can take you, Ozriel, chukpopos and a couple of others seriously since you are some of the most fanatic posters of this forum.
I mean, at least Ozriel is getting paid, you on the other hand are an adult that enters threads just to ...give out laughing emojis at every "infidel" that isn't brainwashed by a multi-trillion company, I don't know if that tells you anything but*...

Again, zero self awareness, you've reached poster meme-status and you can't even aknowledge it, it's sad really.
And for what ?
Basically, your contribution in this forum is zero besides - again - giving out laughing emojis, "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" and all that...

Last edited:

CatLady

How do you see yourself as a poster. You should probably spend some time and reflect on that before you try analyzing others. What do you contribute of value? Calling people that you disagree with astroturfers and shills. Protecting sony from any and all criticism and working to convert the pagans. I just don't see your value as I'm sure you don't see mine. There's a thing called ignore, you might want to use.

Can't believe people are still mad about the Starfield exclusivity, it's been almost three years now. Just get over it.

I used to find it sad how people on the green side would always expect FF ports when they will never happen but this is somehow even sadder.
I agree in that if I was Microsoft, I'd keep it exclusive as well.

But, I think what bothers people is how Phil Spencer contradicts himself depending on who he is talking to or what point he wants to make.

The guy said publicly many times they don't want to aquire these publishers to take games away from a platform, but to make the games accessible to more people on more platforms. That's completely misleading.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
How do you see yourself as a poster. You should probably spend some time and reflect on that before you try analyzing others. What do you contribute of value? Calling people that you disagree with astroturfers and shills. Protecting sony from any and all criticism and working to convert the pagans. I just don't see your value as I'm sure you don't see mine. There's a thing called ignore, you might want to use.
"Protecting Sony"
What ?
...and this is exactly what I'm talking about, you people are literally fanboys and fangirls, there's paranoia and persecution complexes involved, there's no 2 ways about it, you keep seeing windmills ready to charge at every moment.

Get this : Twice I posted topics Xbox related when I had a XSX back in February, twice I got blasted and dog-piled by the usual suspects, apparently , it's FORBIDDEN to be critical about the green company, and this is something that I noticed not only here but in other foreign forums as well, it's like, how is it possible for a fan base that is way smaller and also younger compared to both Nintendo's and Sony's to be so... aggressive and vocal ? Everyone's always so fucking hostile that it's actually kind of endearing in the end...

Also, the day I'll press the ignore button is the day you'll stop doling out laughing emojis at others, deal ?

Let me repeat it dear since you didn't seem to grasp it the 1st time : "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

Cheerio

Last edited:
No one is concerned with payroll. It's the absorption of entire other franchises so you can win your division after being in last place for 2 decades because your owner is worth more than every single team combined. Anti competitive. When they tried to compete they got beat again and again.

Oh please, there have been tons of posts abiut how unfair and anti competitive all of this is because MS is taking outside money and using it on Xbox. People care about the “payroll”. Also there are only three franchises in your analogy and MS hasn’t absorbed either of the other two teams. Sony and Nintendo are still there and will still be there. What MS has done in your analogy is buy up players to make their team better, same as the others have done in the past and will continue to do so.

Also in your analogy MS isn’t trying to “win the division” because like you said, they’ve tried and they lost. They’re trying to win in other ways now, by making more money regardless of how many consoles they sell. That’s why none of the games they develop are exclusive. They aren’t obsessed with winning the console war.

My baseball analogy was spot on. What we have here are people acting like Oakland A’s fans bitching about the Yankees when in reality they’re rooting for the team more like the Dodgers or the Yankees themselves. It’s bizarre.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Curious to see how PC bros will do. You can easily just pay for a month and play Starfield, cancel after. Wait for mods, buy the dip.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

But, I think what bothers people is how Phil Spencer contradicts himself depending on who he is talking to or what point he wants to make.

The guy said publicly many times they don't want to aquire these publishers to take games away from a platform, but to make the games accessible to more people on more platforms. That's completely misleading.
It's true but in the case of Bethesda the message has been clear from day 1:
“With the addition of the Bethesda creative teams, gamers should know that Xbox consoles, PC, and Game Pass will be the best place to experience new Bethesda games, including some new titles in the future that will be exclusive to Xbox and PC players.
To me there was never any doubt about Starfield, but I was one of those who thought Indiana Jones would be multiplat for example.

I wish MS was more upfront about the "rules" for exclusives so there'd be less drama at least.

He’s a CEO and a businessman lol. It’s insane that Phil lives rent free in your head like this. Why do you care so much about what he says? Everything coming from a corporation is going to be marketing and PR speak. Good luck on your crusade though.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
He’s a CEO and a businessman lol. It’s insane that Phil lives rent free in your head like this. Why do you care so much about what he says? Everything coming from a corporation is going to be marketing and PR speak. Good luck on your crusade though.
The argument is that if MS was more aggressive in the PR and flaunted exclusives in everyone's face then everything would be fine because then it's at least clear. I'm pretty skeptical that everything would be fine. People lost their shit at Tomb Raider being exclusive for a year. People are going to be mad it's not on PS, period. The rest of the justifications shift to whatever is easiest to argue at the time. Greenberg flaunts exclusives and isn't mincing words and look how much everyone hates his guts.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Oh please, there have been tons of posts abiut how unfair and anti competitive all of this is because MS is taking outside money and using it on Xbox. People care about the “payroll”. Also there are only three franchises in your analogy and MS hasn’t absorbed either of the other two teams. Sony and Nintendo are still there and will still be there. What MS has done in your analogy is buy up players to make their team better, same as the others have done in the past and will continue to do so.
It was your analogy. You're still speaking in terms of payroll and buying players when They are absorbing franchises(publishers)
Theyre not even willing to just have a high payroll and gamble. They're eliminating chance. If they were they would allow multiplatform games to stay that way and not take the away and let people choose. But nobody ever chooses them when there is a choice to be made.

They aren’t obsessed with winning the console war.
Then they shouldn't ever care about console exclusives. That's why all of their talk is bullshit and they deserve to be mocked.

Also in your analogy MS isn’t trying to “win the division” because like you said, they’ve tried and they lost
Right. And now they aren't even trying. They're just buying everything. They cannot compete when they try. They tried doing exclusive deals. They tried having more powerful hardware. They tried a subscription service where they gave away new releases day one. They tried leveraging the PC install base. They lost. Over and over and generation after generation.

Last edited:

CatLady

"Protecting Sony"
What ?
...and this is exactly what I'm talking about, you people are literally fanboys and fangirls, there's paranoia and persecution complexes involved, there's no 2 ways about it, you keep seeing windmills ready to charge at every moment.

Get this : Twice I posted topics Xbox related when I had a XSX back in February, twice I got blasted and dog-piled by the usual suspects, apparently , it's FORBIDDEN to be critical about the green company, and this is something that I noticed not only here but in other foreign forums as well, it's like, how is it possible for a fan base that is way smaller and also younger compared to both Nintendo's and Sony's to be so... aggressive and vocal ? Everyone's always so fucking hostile that it's actually kind of endearing in the end...

Also, the day I'll press the ignore button is the day you'll stop doling out laughing emojis at others, deal ?

Let me repeat it dear since you didn't seem to grasp it the 1st time : "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

Cheerio

Love the persecution complex talking point you guys love to pin on those you disagree with, along with shill, astroturfer, alt etc. Sounds to me like you're the one with the persecution complex, you get triggered by emojis, get dogpiled and blasted because it's FORBIDDEN to be critical of the green company not only here but in in other foreign forums. You should take your own advice. I'll stop pushing the laughing emojis when you and your buddies stop giving me stuff to laugh about.
Ciao

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Love the persecution complex talking point you guys love to pin on those you disagree with, along with shill, astroturfer, alt etc. Sounds to me like you're the one with the persecution complex, you get triggered by emojis, get dogpiled and blasted because it's FORBIDDEN to be critical of the green company not only here but in in other foreign forums. You should take your own advice. I'll stop pushing the laughing emojis when you and your buddies stop giving me stuff to laugh about.
Ciao
You're so delusional due to a lack of self awareness that there's just no point.
You're literally behaving like a child.

Keep doing you

PS: the whole irony thing doesn't suit you, you're not as smart as you think you are

Top Bottom