• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia bans HardwareUnboxed from receiving review samples

ethomaz

Banned
Naw, Nvidia just put what, roughly 50% of the silicon area to RT & DLSS, let's not bother looking into it too much ...

AMD's Smart Access Memory though.. OH WOW, EXCITING TECH, and i can't wait to see their super resolution.

The age of brute forcing your way into rendering is almost over and many reviewers are stubbornly resisting.

Same with VRAM usage, with the paradigm shift in IO management on consoles and now DirectStorage API coming to PC soon, it's a very archaic view to think that VRAM might be a problem in the future, something that HWUB also tried to use as a boogeyman to recommend the AMD cards. (While they also say they don't think 4K is that common/important, cards aren't that hot for 4k.... bu but VRAM!?)

Sadly, these cards are ML beasts and there's no real methods of testing that in games yet until DirectML starts appearing in games, which most likely will happen soon enough with Xbox series X supported games.

Let's just say, Nvidia did not triple the tensor ops of these cards compared to Turing only to run DLSS 2.

Nvidia designed the equivalent of a McLaren P1 for the Nürburgring, with straight lines (rasterization) and hard curves (RT & ML) for upcoming games, and then insist on bringing that McLaren P1 to a dragster straight line race... GG :messenger_grinning_sweat:
That exactly that.

Reviewers are outdated... they need to follow the new focus of the game development industry.

And neither AMD or nVidia is focusing in brute force native 4k anymore but the trade off is not fair... you lose to much performance that can be used in others places to gear up your graphic fidelity and effects.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
DLSS makes some things look better, others not so much. And even then it's sometimes not enough to get to playable framerates. And everything below Quality is ass.

Nvidia giving up on the 4k dream is bad for PC gaming, especially at this moment for a feature that isn't ready for full blown implementations yet.

ergeofgreat.jpg

Closer

I’m not understanding your point at all... sorry maybe it is my issue here.

It's ok. Think like this "How a GFX Card fares against competition (from other companies) at same settings and how it fares against itself using various different settings/features to achieve parity on visual quality". That's pretty much it.

Last edited:
I'm glad I'm not easily impressible, as I know to take a grain of salt with some of these reviews. A bunch of responses sound as if they exclusively watch hardware unboxed videos, and are trying to hide the fact that raytracing and DLSS is the future. It's borderline cringey to act as if either are irrelevant, just cause AMD is behind in raytracing, and their answer to DLSS is non existent at the moment.

Like I said earlier, if the shoe was on the other foot, I wonder how many of these clueless fanboys would be singing the same song?

Last edited:

Closer

The point is to test the hardware because DLSS does not look as good as native 4k.

The funny thing is this is not actually true for all games we have seen. When I've seen Control being better with DLSS I was like "begone Witch!".

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Marlenus

That exactly that.

Reviewers are outdated... they need to follow the new focus of the game development industry.

And neither AMD or nVidia is focusing in brute force native 4k anymore but the trade off is not fair... you lose to much performance that can be used in others places to gear up your graphic fidelity and effects.

PC has always brute forced resolution. At one poiny 1600x1200 was too much for GPUs and then it wasnt and then 1440p was too much and now 1440p 144hz is a thing. 4k 60 is pretty doable for the most part and in 2 gens 4k 144hz will probably be a thing.

When I had a 1600x1200 CRT I could just lower resolution if I needed more performance but you can't do that now without an unacceptable IQ tradeoff. This is where DLSS and the multi vendor equivalents step in.

I'm glad I'm not easily impressible, as I know to take a grain of salt with some of these reviews. A bunch of responses sound as if they exclusively watch hardware unboxed videos, and are trying to hide the fact that raytracing and DLSS is the future. It's borderline cringey to act as if either are irrelevant, just cause AMD is behind in raytracing, and their answer to DLSS is non existent at the moment.

Like I said earlier, if the shoe was on the other foot, I wonder how many of these clueless fanboys would be singing the same song?

RT is the future but Ampere and RDNA2 won't realise it.

DLSS (and for sake of brevity lets include DX ai upscaling here too) will be useful for a few more gens and then mide range x60 or even x50 cards will do native 4k 60 and it will only be important again when 8k becomes a more mainstream thing.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: eot

v_iHuGi

Banned
Anyone who does not see that RTX is the future, deserves the BAN so well done Nvidia.

RTX is the future of graphics, whether that site wants it or not, there is not much they can do.

We´re still a generation from Full RTX on games that can run at 4K, DLSS will hugely helo alongside TAA, Checkboard techniques.

But we´re already seeing great RTX even on Consoles, exciting times.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Anyone who does not see that RTX is the future, deserves the BAN so well done Nvidia.

Well, they walked it back yesterday after Canadian Super Lesbian Linus compared them to Nazis and the Mafia on his WAN show. The Free Review Card Gravy Train continues for Hardware Unboxed.

And now Nvidia have to wait at least 3-5 years before pulling the same stunt.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The funny thing is this is not actually true for all games we have seen. When I've seen Control being better with DLSS I was like "begone Witch!".
Yep. In my experience DLSS looks better than native 4k... And I game o 27" 4k monitor. The image is stable, sharp and there is no pixel crawling or shimmering. It's the image quality I wanted my whole life.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
DLSS won’t stop to be relevant for gaming never... GPUs struggles to 4k native today and 8k is already several times expensive than 4k.

DLSS is to stay on PC forever now... it will get better and maybe even chance the marketing name but native won’t be the focus anymore.

AMD will have it own DLSS like option... MS pushing his own DLSS on DirectX... brute force 4k to have worst graphics/performance? What the point?

Same for RT... it will get better and more more games using it.

It is very real and reviewers should chance how they do things unless they want to be irrelevant very soon (well some already were).

Last edited:

Marlenus

DLSS won’t stop to be relevant for gaming never... GPUs struggles to 4k native today and 8k is already several times expensive than 4k.

DLSS is to stay on PC forever now... it will get better and maybe even chance the marketing name but native won’t be the focus anymore.

AMD will have it own DLSS like option... MS pushing his own DLSS on DirectX... brute force 4k to have worst graphics/performance? What the point?

Same for RT... it will get better and more more games using it.

It is very real and reviewers should chance how they do things unless they want to be irrelevant very soon (well some already were).

average-fps-3840-2160.png

DLSS would help control but the rest would be fine with just VRR. Same goes for the 3080 and 3090.

Next gen x70 will hit these numbers, and after that the x60 will and they will also have better RT performance as well.

Now DLSS is not a cure all. Here is a translated quote from Computer Base about DLSS + RT in Cyberpunk.

On the plus side, DLSS 2.0 recorded fine objects for itself as usual. Even in native Ultra HD resolution, some fine objects such as palm leaves are drawn cleanly with DLSS, while the ends simply disappear with classic post-processing anti-aliasing. In addition, there are objects that have a higher image sharpness with DLSS.

On the negative side, the image tends to flicker with DLSS 2.0. That only happens now and then, but every now and then you come across objects that native Ultra HD displays more calmly. In addition, there is the problem that DLSS 2.0 cannot visually enhance ray tracing reflections and these are therefore simply displayed in the rendered resolution. Accordingly, the reflections are visibly more blurred than with the native rendering resolution. Since Cyberpunk 2077 does not use reflections in abundance and these are usually diffuse, this is not as noticeable as in Watch Dogs: Legion.

DLSS does not improve RT reflections so they get rendered at the native resolution. Once RT performance improves those who want max IQ will find this is not an acceptable tradeoff.

Edit: checking the 7 new games at Computer base the 6800XT+ manages 60fps + at 4k in 5 of them and it was just Valhalla and Legion that fell short in the high 40s to mid 50s.

That gives 4 popular games where DLSS can get you to 4k 60 with top tier hardware and more where it will help mid tier hardware punch above its weight.

Last edited:

bargeparty

I didn't really read the last 2 pages but seems to be jigglet's whole argument is "I can't find benchmarks for 1 game so lets throw the whole thing out."

Killer idea.

I think I know why no one bothers, because it already runs at high fps, DLSS will just push it further, it's not worth the time.

DLSS would help control but the rest would be fine with just VRR. Same goes for the 3080 and 3090.

Next gen x70 will hit these numbers, and after that the x60 will and they will also have better RT performance as well.

Now DLSS is not a cure all. Here is a translated quote from Computer Base about DLSS + RT in Cyberpunk.

DLSS does not improve RT reflections so they get rendered at the native resolution. Once RT performance improves those who want max IQ will find this is not an acceptable tradeoff.
We can talk about the future all day. Technology will get better, as time progress. We all know that it will. But as far as the here and now, raytracing and DLSS is the hot shit, that is here to stay. Otherwise why would consoles implement it? Why would AMD do the same in pc? Why would they also be implementing their version of DLSS?

Those that knock DLSS, come off as lacking basic common sense. I wouldn't base buying a car back in the day on whether or not it has cruise control or not. But it's great if it comes with it. And if I don't like it, or don't care to use it, I can simply turn it off. That's how DLSS works. Why hate on it, if you can simply disable it? Some prefer image quality, some prefer pure performance. DLSS adds a middle ground, of having performance and image quality. People that actively shit on DLSS are the closest to being on the spectrum.

Last edited:

Marlenus

We can talk about the future all day. Technology will get better, as time progress. We all know that it will. But as far as the here and now, raytracing and DLSS is the hot shit, that is here to stay. Otherwise why would consoles implement it? Why would AMD do the same in pc? Why would they also be implementing their version of DLSS?

Those that knock DLSS, come off as lacking basic common sense. I wouldn't base buying a car back in the day on whether or not it has cruise control or not. But it's great if it comes with it. And if I don't like it, or don't care to use it, I can simply turn it off. That's how DLSS works. Why hate on it, if you can simply disable it? Some prefer image quality, some prefer pure performance. DLSS adds a middle ground, of having performance and image quality. People that actively shit on DLSS are the closest to being on the spectrum.

Consoles will implement it because they are not poweful enough for RT + 4k 60 outside of more simple games.

I have said RT is the future. DLSS is good. RT needs too much performance right now so it should not be a primary consideration for most people. DLSS is not widespread enough so has the same issue.

Ironically though the more RT becomes viable and the more RT gets used the larger the IQ sacrifice DLSS has.

If DLSS was wide spread now then buying a 3070 over a 6800 would be an absolute no brainer but right now, with the number of DLSS games available, that is a much harder decision.

Ascend

So did linus and jay announce they will stop covering nvidia gpu's? because they are so evil and shit? or do they still accept there freebee's and suck nvidia's dick like the hypocrites they are? there you go. Its all lip service mate.
That's yet another thing that is very easy to say. That has a bunch of consequences, including people labeling them as only favoring AMD or giving AMD preferential treatment.
I'm tired of Nvidia fans.
It also kind of adds to me not wanting an nVidia card. I don't want to have anything in common with those assholes. If anything, this thread has proven that the goal posts are always shifted in favor of nVidia by a specific but quite large group of people, and that they resort to bullying, namecalling, passive aggressiveness and lying to defend the green. As bad as nVidia is, their followers are a gazillion times worse as has been proven in this thread.

Ascend

I really think you don't get it, at all.

Firstly, its not 'free marketing'. Its a PROFESSIONAL BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP wherein the reviewer agrees to review the product, while complying with Nvidia's criteria... as grounds for receiving free hardware to do so. There is no free involved here whatsoever. Nvidia are soliciting reviews from those who agree to review under specific conditions. If the reviewers do not like these conditions they are perfectly free to not accept the deal.
Ok. Thank you for unknowingly answering the question that matters. You think the one that supplies to product should have the ability to dictate what is being said. That says enough already.

You don't get to cry and be an entitled little bitch that a for-profit organization refuses to give you something for free, with no strings attached. Maybe that's how it works in Clown World™ but not in the real world.
In clown world, you can expect fair reviews in cases where the corporation can dictate the conditions to the reviewer.
In the real world, companies should strive to get a good reputation from independent reviewers. And nVidia failed hard at this.

It really is THAT simple.

If that puts the reviewer at a disadvantage, well guess what? TOO FUCKING BAD, SO SAD, CRY MORE!
What you fail to understand is that ultimately you will be the one crying because there is no one out there to tell you when a product is actually shit. And then you buy it because there was no independent testing. And at that point, I would have zero sympathy for you. In fact, I'd laugh in your face, because that is the world that you support.

If they don't like being put at a disadvantage, they are free to pursue a business relationship with Nvidia, and obtain the hardware in advance... all it takes is to... *gaspshockhorror* agree to specific conditions because guess what, business relationships work on a really basic principle called give and take! WOW, SUCH CONCEPT!
Why are you pretending that that somehow wasn't already in place...?

I'm no corporate apologist,
Of course you aren't... You've just spent your whole post as an apologist for the largest corporation in graphics extorting an independent reviewer.

but even I understand how basic business works in the real world.
You proved the opposite.

There is no free in this equation here, at all, which is exactly what HardwareUnboxed's problem is. They feel they are entitled to, and demand, free hardware with no strings attached without having to guarantee the giver some form of tangible return. Sorry, kinda doesn't work that way in the real world.
The return is already there; publicity. And you claim to know how the business world works...

Does anything else really have to be said? This guy just hit the nail on the head
His own head and yours maybe, because the brain ain't working.

Good point actually, why do they need free stuff if they are so large? Just buy it and review it how you see fit.
This has already been tackled a gazillion times. And yet you keep repeating it. Stop distracting from the real issue you tool.
proxy-image

When 23% of the audience don’t matter

1kzw21l.jpg

Who cares about the 23%, I wanna hurt Nvidia
If you honestly think that either nVidia or their users are a minority, calling you delusional would be an understatement.

What? The 3070 can turn on reflections RT at 1440p 60fps in Cyberpunk 2077 (probably the 3060 TI too). This article is some loser crying that his 2060 sucks for RT. Fair enough, but he can still benefit from DLSS. The 2070 can enable RT effects in Control.

So just because, according to this guy, his 2060 can’t enable RT he concludes that Nvidia doesn’t have a future in ray tracing? You guys are mentally ill.

“RTX doesn’t matter. DLSS doesn’t matter. AMD cares about me.”
pepe.jpg

Last edited:
It also kind of adds to me not wanting an nVidia card. I don't want to have anything in common with those assholes. If anything, this thread has proven that the goal posts are always shifted in favor of nVidia by a specific but quite large group of people, and that they resort to bullying, namecalling, passive aggressiveness and lying to defend the green. As bad as nVidia is, their followers are a gazillion times worse as has been proven in this thread.
Ironic.... You could replace green with red, and you would be even closer to the truth. After all that, you literally proceed to do those things you JUST spoke against....

Ok. Thank you for unknowingly answering the question that matters.

In clown world,

And at that point, I would have zero sympathy for you. In fact, I'd laugh in your face, because that is the world that you support.

Of course you aren't... You've just spent your whole post as an apologist for the largest corporation in graphics extorting an independent reviewer.

You proved the opposite.

The return is already there; publicity. And you claim to know how the business world works...

This has already been tackled a gazillion times. And yet you keep repeating it. Stop distracting from the real issue you tool.

If you honestly think that either nVidia or their users are a minority, calling you delusional would be an understatement.

Passive aggressiveness, bullying, name calling, and lying. Holy shit I can't make this up.

Bolivar687

Banned
What? The 3070 can turn on reflections RT at 1440p 60fps in Cyberpunk 2077 (probably the 3060 TI too). This article is some loser crying that his 2060 sucks for RT. Fair enough, but he can still benefit from DLSS. The 2070 can enable RT effects in Control.

So just because, according to this guy, his 2060 can’t enable RT he concludes that Nvidia doesn’t have a future in ray tracing? You guys are mentally ill.

“RTX doesn’t matter. DLSS doesn’t matter. AMD cares about me.”
pepe.jpg

I love how you were so triggered by this article that you had to keep editing your post to make it even more combative :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Ascend

A lot of it doesn't seem like Nvidia fanboyism to me, however. More like some kind of irrational distrust of new media. Even the ones that do a better job than traditional media.
Considering how many times they have been throwing underhanded dust towards AMD's side while AMD has zero to do with this shows the opposite.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Considering how many times they have been throwing underhanded dust towards AMD's side while AMD has zero to do with this shows the opposite.
Don't let old perceived grudges against "a side" inform your opinion too greatly on this issue, since the main point here is independent journalism.

Best leave "GPU warz" mindset in the gutter to die.

I love how you were so triggered by this article that you had to keep editing your post to make it even more combative :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Huh? When I’m posting on my phone I edit a lot as I’m making my post because it’s more difficult to type and attach images. I don’t edit after I consider my post done, however.

But go ahead and ignore facts, and you can just focus on my phone posting style if it makes you feel better. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Ascend

Don't let old perceived grudges against "a side" inform your opinion too greatly on this issue, since the main point here is independent journalism.

Best leave "GPU warz" mindset in the gutter to die.
The main point here is indeed independent journalism. But the utmost effort has been done to throw dust in the eyes by trying to justify how Hardware Unboxed is wrong about RT, not trustworthy in the first place, extending the lack of credibility to YouTubers in general and basically how reviewers are only allowed to agree to nVidia's desires to receive a card 🤷‍♂️.

Not only that, by the amount of people being salty about reviewers getting free graphics card samples, I'd say the place reeks of jealousy and envy (or should I write it as nVi?). You might not want this to turn into a red vs green GPU war, but this has been turned into a green vs every other color battle a long time ago in this thread.

Ironic.... You could replace green with red, and you would be even closer to the truth. After all that, you literally proceed to do those things you JUST spoke against....
GPU wars are your only ammo, because that is where your brain resides.

Ok. Thank you for unknowingly answering the question that matters.

In clown world,

And at that point, I would have zero sympathy for you. In fact, I'd laugh in your face, because that is the world that you support.

You proved the opposite.

Passive aggressiveness, bullying, name calling, and lying. Holy shit I can't make this up.
There is a clear difference between calling someone an AMD fanboy because they disagree with nVidia's practices here, and saying you'd laugh in someone's face after they brought their demise upon themselves. The fact that you cannot tell that difference tells us everything.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You might not want this to turn into a red vs green GPU war, but this has been turned into a green vs every other color battle a long time ago in this thread.
Then I would advise you and everyone else to drop the grudges and not perpetuate the color battle further. It doesn't matter who started it. What matters is that you set a good example as a stark contrast to anyone else who feels like acting more like children than adults. Otherwise, I have no reason to hold you in any higher regard if you're content with rolling in the shit with everyone else. (Not saying you are, just speaking about my general approach to this overall situation in general).

Ascend

Then I would advise you and everyone else to drop the grudges and not perpetuate the color battle further. It doesn't matter who started it. What matters is that you set a good example as a stark contrast to anyone else who feels like acting more like children than adults. Otherwise, I have no reason to hold you in any higher regard if you're content with rolling in the shit with everyone else. (Not saying you are, just speaking about my general approach to this overall situation in general).
Fair enough. Thankfully, someone as big as Linus called both nVidia and the fanboys out, and I am delighted to see comments like this, because this is exactly what needs to be said;

William Sellers16 hours ago
If Ray tracing was so undisputed and everyone agreed it was the future why are they scared of one person's opinion

Matthew Crosby16 hours ago
Welp, looks like I'm going AMD for the first time! 6800xt here we go!

Aaron Weigand17 hours ago
Huge props to all of you [reviewers] for stepping up. Gonna go AMD just for the principle at this point.

Coreflake !19 hours ago (edited)
Bad timing by nvidia now that AMD finally is here to compete... i wont support them with my next GPU-purchase

J K9 hours ago
I'm subscribing to hardware unboxed, everyone should.

Zoltan Hoppar15 hours ago
"Better to get on vision with Nvidia, or else..." - well, I am sure now that I don't need that either as gamer. My money is my vote...that goes other direction for sure.

ESPOSITO1 day ago
Nvidia pretending they speak for gamers and the entire community in the email to hwu is absolute gold lmao

jim hapke16 hours ago
I just subscribed to Hardware Unboxed, and I've never even seen one of his Vids! I just want to support this guy!

Vernet White7 hours ago
Respect to Linus for this he has showed definitively that he has integrity and is willing to support other TechTubers when Nivida or AMD try to strong arm other content creators. Impressive respect.

Leeth Starwatcher20 hours ago
Hardware Unboxed subscription base is growing exponentially, and rightly so!

Pete Gibbons11 hours ago
I’m so angry about this. When I get my pre ordered 3080 in July 2021 I’m sending it back!

Coreflake !19 hours ago
HW unboxed flew under my radar before. They got themselves a new subscriber!

Nevaknowmaname Same13 hours ago
Hardware Unboxed actually seems like a great channel, watched a few videos there are insteresting points / reviews

4riel1 day ago
I like how the nvidia letter to HWU mentions consoles as if the ones that do RT were powered by nvidia GPUs.

mral13116 hours ago
I’m done w/ green no matter how good it is I don’t need to be fooled or ruled

Benjamin Remy11 hours ago
I never heard of "Hardware Unboxed" before, but I just subscribed.

Simon Vercoe1 day ago
WTF I'm subbed to Hardware Unboxed now? Thanks nVidia

jim hapke16 hours ago
WOW! I just lost a lota respect for Nvidia!!!

James CZ14 hours ago
I was going to buy an nvidia card after being amd for 10 years but this email changed my mind

Erroll Leggo3 hours ago
Guess I'll go to hardware unboxed and sub and watch his videos to support him.

Just as a disclaimer, this has nothing to do with people now going AMD instead, but people actually punishing a corporation trying to abuse its power. People voting with their money and their attention (i.e. subscriptions) is glorious. Especially in the case of nVidia, they have gotten away with way too many things in the past, and it is a good sign that they are being shut down every time they try their shenanigans. It happened with the GTX 970, then the GPP, and now this. The only one that went unpunished was the GTX (non-)1060 3GB. Slowly but surely, the time of honoring themselves will be at an end. And hopefully, that translates into actually better products rather than extorting reviewers and overcharging their customers, and a more balanced GPU space.

And everyone else watching (including AMD and Intel) are definitely paying attention right now. This is a key moment in gaming media history.

Buggy Loop

They do. They are most likely paying customers. When enough paying customers are upset, that becomes a problem.

Naw they won’t, they won’t remember in a week, just like 99% of them don’t remember this

Just like they forgot that AMD 6800 XT MSRP was false.

It’s a fucking rain drop in the ocean. And if you manage to follow Linus and sat through the WAN show and your brain did not critically think when he compared Nvidia to Nazis, then you’re the right demographic for a good underdog story fed to you like a bird regurgitating in your throat.
I’m glad they found their new outrage of the week, for now.

Last edited:

Ascend

See what I mean...?;

Naw they won’t, they won’t remember in a week, just like 99% of them don’t remember this

Just like they forgot that AMD 6800 XT MSRP was false.

It’s a fucking rain drop in the ocean. And if you manage to follow Linus and sat through the WAN show and your brain did not critically think when he compared Nvidia to Nazis, then you’re the right demographic for a good underdog story fed to you like a bird regurgitating in your throat.
I’m glad they found their new outrage of the week, for now.

Bolivar687

Banned
Fair enough. Thankfully, someone as big as Linus called both nVidia and the fanboys out, and I am delighted to see comments like this, because this is exactly what needs to be said;

If Ray tracing was so undisputed and everyone agreed it was the future why are they scared of one person's opinion

Huge props to all of you [reviewers] for stepping up. Gonna go AMD just for the principle at this point.

Bad timing by nvidia now that AMD finally is here to compete... i wont support them with my next GPU-purchase

J K9 hours ago

"Better to get on vision with Nvidia, or else..." - well, I am sure now that I don't need that either as gamer. My money is my vote...that goes other direction for sure.

ESPOSITO1 day ago
Nvidia pretending they speak for gamers and the entire community in the email to hwu is absolute gold lmao

jim hapke16 hours ago
I just subscribed to Hardware Unboxed, and I've never even seen one of his Vids! I just want to support this guy!

Vernet White7 hours ago
Respect to Linus for this he has showed definitively that he has integrity and is willing to support other TechTubers when Nivida or AMD try to strong arm other content creators. Impressive respect.

Pete Gibbons11 hours ago
I’m so angry about this. When I get my pre ordered 3080 in July 2021 I’m sending it back!

Coreflake !19 hours ago

Hardware Unboxed actually seems like a great channel, watched a few videos there are insteresting points / reviews

4riel1 day ago
I like how the nvidia letter to HWU mentions consoles as if the ones that do RT were powered by nvidia GPUs.

mral13116 hours ago

Simon Vercoe1 day ago

jim hapke16 hours ago

James CZ14 hours ago
I was going to buy an nvidia card after being amd for 10 years but this email changed my mind

Erroll Leggo3 hours ago

Just as a disclaimer, this has nothing to do with people now going AMD instead, but people actually punishing a corporation trying to abuse its power. People voting with their money and their attention (i.e. subscriptions) is glorious. Especially in the case of nVidia, they have gotten away with way too many things in the past, and it is a good sign that they are being shut down every time they try their shenanigans. It happened with the GTX 970, then the GPP, and now this. The only one that went unpunished was the GTX (non-)1060 3GB. Slowly but surely, the time of honoring themselves will be at an end. And hopefully, that translates into actually better products rather than extorting reviewers and overcharging their customers, and a more balanced GPU space.

And everyone else watching (including AMD and Intel) are definitely paying attention right now. This is a key moment in gaming media history.

Those people are delusional. The youtube reviewers are full of shit, too. And so are all the tech websites, while we're at it.

It's best to just listen to the six Nvidia fans on GAF who fill up every AMD thread, those are the ones you can really trust. Literally everyone else alive on the planet except for them is living in an alternate reality at this point.

Kenpachii

That's yet another thing that is very easy to say. That has a bunch of consequences, including people labeling them as only favoring AMD or giving AMD preferential treatment.

Obviously they do the same thing with AMD like how hard is this to understand.

Then about there rep. if they are so worried about there rep. they would probably not.

1) compare nvidia with the devil
2) compare nvidia with hitler which mass murdered millions of people
3) tweet messages like : wants amd to curbstomp nvidia and hope they go under while they are at it because he hates them and he knows a ton of people that also hate him.
4) yet signs up perfectly fine with nvidia and accepts all there products promotes them etc etc.
5) review golden samples and act like they are normal cards.
6) reviews cards and skips major features that are there to enhance performance in games because it doesn't favor there team red to the point his whole benchmarks starts to look like a paid add by amd.

They throw all there morals out of the window, all there credit out of the window overnight and that's just the reality of things.

Nvidia however reached with this debacle all youtubers that they have under their belly, that they better start to think twice about not covering stuff nvidia wants you to cover because u are next on the list. And that's exactly the power u get with stuff like this.

I wonder when we see games that eat more then 10gb of v-ram and tank the 3080 performance of the card hard, if hardware unboxing is going to bench games on low settings, because only 0.1% of the cards out there have 16gb of memory right? so benching on 16gb wouldn't be fair right? ofcourse not. See how that logic goes.

But then again its tech youtubers for you, fucking donkeys on a stick.

Then about fanboys every single fanboy is a deplorable of any company. Go tell me about how those AMD shitters start to straight up message ddos any channel that didn't appriciate the 3000 series cpu's or dared to criticize it for its rollercoaster performance. yet amd comes out with its presentation for its new cpu series and they cover exactly that problem. whoops.

All of these channels provide lipservice towards those fanboys that's just the way it is.

Last edited:

small_law

Why would Nvidia send review units to a guy trying to make them look bad? Whatever ax this guy has to grind, Nvidia doesn't have to help him do it. I'd cut that shit off too.

I have no idea why people hold some YouTubers in such high esteem. These people's opinions aren't sacrosanct. More often than not, they 're shitty people that will do an awful lot to make sure the money keeps coming.

ethomaz

Banned

DLSS will improve too.
Or what AMD will call it.
Or the DX version.

It will support RT reflections.

A year ago we were talking about the DLSS limitations and now we have DLSS 2.0.

RT, 4k, 8k, 120fps, 240fps, etc will all rely on DLSS like rendering tech.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

J K9 hours ago

ESPOSITO1 day ago

jim hapke16 hours ago

Vernet White7 hours ago

Pete Gibbons11 hours ago

Coreflake !19 hours ago

4riel1 day ago

mral13116 hours ago

Simon Vercoe1 day ago

jim hapke16 hours ago

James CZ14 hours ago

Erroll Leggo3 hours ago

You seems to be salty about something...

What the exactly issue?

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
My favorite aspect of this whole ordeal has been the people telling me that this is not about a free review card. And now, HUB announces everything is back to BAU--meaning free review cards, and all is well with the world.
Again, you're missing the context and the bigger picture. When companies have strings attached to their review samples, that is bad for independent journalism because then the reviewers are pressured into repeating that company's marketing talking points. When companies don't have strings attached to their review samples, that is good for independent journalism because reviewers have the freedom to state their opinion about the product without fear of reprisal. One approach coerces independent reviewers to be mouthpieces for the company they're supposed to be reviewing. The other approach leaves them alone to do their own thing free of undue influence.

Supporting Nvidia's actions make it all the more likely that the supposed bias that you hate from reviewers will get even worse. If independent reviewers don't get products to review early, then what are you as a consumer supposed to do to judge quality? Believe that company's marketing at face value? Test them all out yourself days after the release date? Good luck with that.

Yeah, sure, okay. Your argument is totally convincing and I am going to retreat back into my Nvidia bunker.

In case you need further convincing, I'll quote the part of the video that you left out that adds more of the "context" that you don't want to hear, which when paired with your quote fishing excerpt, makes the point you were trying to make completely invalid, Mr "I watched the whole video".

Says Linus:

"We would have covered it in more depth than Steve did. But that's all I can say about that. He made it clear that there was going to be a follow up dedicated piece of content for RTX. Then, true to his word, he created that dedicated piece of content. Tim, from his team, posted what I thought was an excellent video based on numbers that Steve had run about RTX. It included commentary on the performance. It included commentary on the generational improvement over the RTX 20 series. It included commentary on how it looked, and all, actually, positive. Even though that is not the point, it doesn't matter that Nvidia is saying these things to someone who said negative things or positive things. It's the principle. So I don't want to get hung up on that.

But it was largely positive, and it had an enormous amount of emphasis on DLSS and went as far as to say, basically, any Nvidia gamer should turn on DLSS immediately because the image quality is so close to running in native resolution. That was said on the Hardware Unboxed Youtube channel. How can you say, "you have largely discounted all the other technologies we offer to gamers", if they treat DLSS 2.0 as the default - as an obvious thing to turn on for gamers? How can you say that? It doesn't make any sense. It smells emotional, not rational. "

Last edited:

Marlenus

DLSS will improve too.
Or what AMD will call it.
Or the DX version.

It will support RT reflections.

A year ago we were talking about the DLSS limitations and now we have DLSS 2.0.

RT, 4k, 8k, 120fps, 240fps, etc will all rely on DLSS like rendering tech.

DLSS + RT is an image quality sacrifice over native. Further in cyberpunk 1080p + RT uses 7.5GB VRAM and 1440p + RT uses 7.93GB VRAM. At 1440p (With or without DLSS upscaling to 4k) the 3070 already falls behind the 2080Ti due to VRAM limits. I expect it won't be long before some games hit 8GB with RT on at 1080p.

Source

This just shows that even with DLSS it won't make cards with insufficient VRAM viable going forward and in the RT future 8GB is looking to be not enough.

jigglet

Banned
Again, you're missing on the context and the bigger picture. When companies have strings attached to their review samples, that is bad for independent journalism because then the reviewers are pressured into repeating that company's marketing talking points. When companies don't have strings attached to their review samples, that is good for independent journalism because reviewers have the freedom to state their opinion about the product without fear of reprisal. One approach coerces independent reviewers to be mouthpieces for the company they're supposed to be reviewing. The other approach leaves them alone to do their own thing free of undue influence.

Supporting Nvidia's actions make it all the more likely that the supposed bias that you hate from reviewers will get even worse. If independent reviewers don't get products to review early, then what are you as a consumer supposed to do to judge quality? Believe that company's marketing at face value? Test them all out yourself days after the release date? Good luck with that.

In case you need further convincing, I'll quote the part of the video that you left out that adds more of the "context" that you don't want to hear, which when paired with your quote fishing excerpt, makes the point you were trying to make completely invalid, Mr "I watched the whole video".

Says Linus:

"We would have covered it in more depth than Steve did. But that's all I can say about that. He made it clear that there was going to be a follow up dedicated piece of content for RTX. Then, true to his word, he created that dedicated piece of content. Tim, from his team, posted what I thought was an excellent video based on numbers that Steve had run about RTX. It included commentary on the performance. It included commentary on the generational improvement over the RTX 20 series. It included commentary on how it looked, and all, actually, positive. Even though that is not the point, it doesn't matter that Nvidia is saying these things to someone who said negative things or positive things. It's the principle. So I don't want to get hung up on that.

But it was largely positive, and it had an enormous amount of emphasis on DLSS and went as far as to say, basically, any Nvidia gamer should turn on DLSS immediately because the image quality is so close to running in native resolution. That was said on the Hardware Unboxed Youtube channel. How can you say, "you have largely discounted all the other technologies we offer to gamers", if they treat DLSS 2.0 as the default - as an obvious thing to turn on for gamers? How can you say that? It doesn't make any sense. It smells emotional, not rational. "

I was honestly surprised at how coherent and logical Linus was during such a heated, unscripted rant. I wouldn’t be able to speak nearly that well. He’s smart that’s for sure.

TriSuit666

Banned
I was honestly surprised at how coherent and logical Linus was during such a heated, unscripted rant. I wouldn’t be able to speak nearly that well. He’s smart that’s for sure.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to get on his bad side.

And if anything, it was LINUS who delivered a pretty shitty review of the 3x00 FE's (apart from the the 3060Ti) - and yet it was easier for nvidia to go for a minnow outfit like HU.

Both parties are at fault. Nvidia for being heavy-handed and the hardware site for being lazy a not fully reviewing the hardware. I mean, fully reviewing the hardware is sort of what I would expect if I were Nvidia too. If they want to do a half-ass job, they can buy their own card.

Jon Neu

Banned

J K9 hours ago

ESPOSITO1 day ago

jim hapke16 hours ago

Vernet White7 hours ago

Pete Gibbons11 hours ago

Coreflake !19 hours ago

4riel1 day ago

mral13116 hours ago

Simon Vercoe1 day ago

jim hapke16 hours ago

James CZ14 hours ago

Erroll Leggo3 hours ago

Oh my fucking God, I didn't even fucking knew Nvidia haters were such pathetic little cunts.

What a shitshow.

llien

That's my point. If I, as a manufacturer/developer/whatever am specifically pushing a feature, and if I lay out expectations for reviewers and they DON'T deliver... why should I give them hardware, or anything?

It is about people hearing what reviewers really think about a product.
It is not about people hearing WHAT YOU want about your product.

This kind of move turns you into an asshole who strongarms reviewers.

It is not the first case either. Anandtech was bullied by NV into reviewing stock AMD GPU vs cherry picked AIB Fermi chip in the past.

Top Bottom