• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal RTX was not well received by PC gamers due its horrible performance

Draugoth

Gold Member
portal-rtx-nao-foi-bem-recebido-pelos-jogadores-do-pc-por-seu-horrivel-desempenho-082887.jpg

Portal RTX was recently released to gamers, being a fully enhanced version that offers updated graphics and ray-tracing and several improvements.

This version of the game was released for free to all owners of the base version of Portal 2 on Steam, however, unfortunately the game was not very well received by the community.

portal-rtx-3070-performance.jpg
portal-rtx-4080-performance.jpg

According to the reports of several players, Portal RTX suffers from serious performance problems, even on powerful computers equipped with an RTX 3090.

On the game's official Steam page, users are using the reviews field to leave their reviews and of course not recommending this version. The situation of this version is quite worrying, and many say that they can barely reach 30 FPS. Other players claim that Nvidia's goal in this version of the game is to sell the RTX 4090, which would be the only card that could run smoothly.

Last edited:
Ive yet to see anything good about Raytracing. Not a single drop of good.
People are salivating for the possibility but it’s not a reality.
Wait another 20 years. Then we will have just enough silicon power to Matter.

Edit-Raytracing is indeed a reality. But the costs high. So high that it will take 20 years till games use it as the base mode of operation.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

What. Im on a Ryzen 7 5700x with a 3070 and I got about 60fps at 1440p

And the game looks amazing

No no no

It’s impossible. See the slides? Terrible performances*

*at max settings without any optimization OMG WTF path tracing is hard? Holy shit fuck me! I then compare this to an hybrid ray tracing game which is not path tracing and I make a vague point that the performances are terrible for click bait evil Nvidia easy bait on the internet because there’s nothing easier than hating on big companies.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Noon mentality....

Set everything to ultra and exoect perfect performance!

Go look at fortnite in unreal engine 5.1 and tell me raytracing isn't the future.

dave_d

But it's free if you have the original version. If they don't like it just play the regular version.(I really should play it though since I've had it for years and never got into it. Ran ok on my 3070.) Bunch of ingrates.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
But it's free if you have the original version. If they don't like it just play the regular version.(I really should play it though since I've had it for years and never got into it. Ran ok on my 3070.) Bunch of ingrates.
If they don't like it they leave a bad review simple as. Even if it's a free expansion it's still a product they put out onto the market

Dr.D00p

Lol..why are they comparing CP 2077 performance to Portal as a means to pillory the framerates?

CP 2077 is a raster game with RT features whilst Portal is a fully path traced one, i.e no raster generated pixels at all.

Go look at fortnite in unreal engine 5.1 and tell me raytracing isn't the future.
Yes, in the FUTURE. Maybe 20 years you can start listing the one or 2 games that Are not Raytraced. But for now and the next 20 years your stuck with games that offer it as an option only and that option will tank your performance.

I sort of agree.
"RTX on" is a nice to have feature, but very costly, while the improvement it provides is hardly showing. Very much in contrast to what the DLSS portion of the chip provides. Huge fps gains for a rather small portion on the chip. Would be interesting if nVidia would also have a line of cards without RT-cores, but more regular cores and make AMD sweat even more. They "waste" a good portion of their chip for RT and could dominate AMD even more if they would not play around with that future tech.

Without any real understanding I'd assume Portal RTX could be done with baked everything without much noticeable difference beside much better performance.

HTK

Banned
Ray tracing will get better and I've changed my mind on this topic. Even in some small instances ray tracing can make a difference. I've noticed for me personally in some games it feels more natural to my eyes and it definitely makes the world more grounded in reality, it's very small but its there. I almost feel like I get less eye strain for ray traced lighting, I don't know its very subtle and I enjoy it.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
What a terrible and wrong take. RT is viable on RTX 2080 Ti/3070-class cards and above and on cards like the 4090 can be played at 4K/DLSS and even native in some cases. In games like Control, Cyberpunk, or even the recently released Callisto Protocol, it`s quite nice.

We`re about one generation from having it perform extremely well on mainstream cards, not 20 years.

Portal is path-traced which is a totally different ballgame.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Portal RTX was not well received by PC gamers due to having to cope with their shitty hardware​

There, fixed it for ya.

People should expect RTX to be very expensive, maybe even more here since the game wasn't designed in the first place to have RTX and God knows how many hoops and sorcery it has to be able to.

There, fixed it for ya.

People should expect RTX to be very expensive, maybe even more here since the game wasn't designed in the first place to have RTX and God knows how many hoops and sorcery it has to be able to.

To be fair, Raytracing is not really marketed as a luxury. The average gamer does not know that. I'd even go as far as to say, it shouldnt be a luxury, that was always the benefit of being a PC gamer, better high end graphics in an affordable market. Nowadays its just too expensive.

Last edited:
There, fixed it for ya.

Prices are only going up. I don't know if 20 years will be enough for technology to advance pricing downward.

HL3.exe

Complaining about performance when you're dealing with high-end path tracing. But of course "BaD oPtiMiZaTiOn!"

This is what you get when you're spoiled with years of high performing PC ports because of the last 8 years designing games for a lowest denominator console, packing a low performing iPad/table CPU and a so so GPU.

Last edited:

nkarafo

It's shameless how both NVIDIA and this game's devs try to make the 30XX series of GPUs obsolete. I bet it's a collaboration to sell more 40XX cards.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
To be fair, Raytracing is not really marketed as a luxury. The average gamer does not know that. I'd even go as far as to say, it shouldnt be a luxury, that was always the benefit of being a PC gamer, better high end graphics in an affordable market. Nowadays its just too expensive.
Prices are only going up. I don't know if 20 years will be enough for technology to advance pricing downward.
Yeah, but GPU prices aren't to blame if your computer doesn't meet the requirements to run the game.

I'd take this game as a benchmark of things to come, rather than something most people should be able to run today.

TintoConCasera

It's shameless how both NVIDIA and this game's devs try to make the 30XX series of GPUs obsolete. I bet it's a collaboration to sell more 40XX cards.
Game's devs? Isn't this using that NVIDIA technology that adds RTX through IA to older games? I remember they showed it off with Morrowind not long ago. Might be wrong tho.

Denton

Very ignorant post. I have already enjoyed games with RT where RT gave substantial improvement in graphical fidelity, like

Control
Cyberpunk 2077
Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition
Dying Light 2
Guardians of the Galaxy
Spiderman
Spiderman Miles Morales
The Ascent
Deliver us the Moon
Quake 2 RTX
Watch Dogs Legion

All these games I ran at 60fps, they played great, and looked great.
Then there is Matrix Awakens demo, which also looks awesome and runs 60fps.
And Fortnite update (I do not care about Fortnite, but it is good showing of the engine).

And with Unreal 5, more and more games are going to use RT, and soon.

Thebonehead

Banned
Weirdly it gives me a dlss3 option on the 3080.

Need to slap a frame time counter on it, but seemed smooth enough on that.

TintoConCasera

All these games I ran at 60fps, they played great, and looked great.
Then there is Matrix Awakens demo, which also looks awesome and runs 60fps.
Mind posting specs? I want to play some of those games at some point and would like to know if my 3070 would be able to.

Denton

Mind posting specs? I want to play some of those games at some point and would like to know if my 3070 would be able to.
I played most of those with Ryzen 2700X and 2080Ti, which is similar in perf to 3070.

However the open world RT games require fast CPU, so Cyberpunk, Watch Dogs and Spidey became locked to 60 after I upgraded to 5800X3D. I also switched GPUs to 3080Ti, but 2080Ti would still be capable of 60, just with lower DLSS mode.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

No game will be well received on PC if the performance is bad, it's my main issue on PC since the end of the noughties and forever basically, i will always wait now to buy after checking if the game runs well, if it doesn't i won't pay money for it.

Denton

I played these games WITHOUT RTX. Looked and played great on my GTX 1080, i73770.
RTX is not needed in any of these games.
That's great, but this discussion is not whether it is "needed". You said that RT is a possibility, not a reality.

It is a reality. It makes games look significantly better. And it can run at 60fps. Today.

sertopico

People maybe did not understand this is a technical showcase for nvidia, its upscaling technologies and remix, not a remake/remaster/whatever. It never meant to be as such... And it's using path tracing which is the most expensive ray tracing method.

TintoConCasera

RTX is not needed in any of these games.
Well ofc, only a mad man would design the game around RTX effects although that could be kinda cool. Like imagine navigating a maze made just of mirrors. :goog_relieved:

Ev1L AuRoN

This is a game for the 1%. Path tracing, etc etc etc...
It was made to make AMD look bad, in the process they manage to make any GPU bellow the xx90 series look like shit.

That's great, but this discussion is not whether it is "needed". You said that RT is a possibility, not a reality.

It is a reality. It makes games look significantly better. And it can run at 60fps. Today.
The concept of Raytracing was that developers didn't need to fake lighting, which I was under the impression was time consuming and costly.
I don't see much evidence that it's used any anyway other than another mode that you can turn on or off.

TMONSTER

This is the new breed of PC gamers that came on in the last 10 years and see PC as nothing but an uber console.

Denton

The concept of Raytracing was that developers didn't need to fake lighting, which I was under the impression was time consuming and costly.
I don't see much evidence that it's used any anyway other than another mode that you can turn on or off.
Of course it can be turned off, because not everyone has RT card yet and consoles are fairly slow at RT.
So developers use both raytraced and rasterized.
But that doesn't mean RT isn't "real", ffs.

Top Bottom