• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal RTX was not well received by PC gamers due its horrible performance

Yeah, but GPU prices aren't to blame if your computer doesn't meet the requirements to run the game.

I'd take this game as a benchmark of things to come, rather than something most people should be able to run today.

But raytracing has been a thing for a long time. I wish we had better companies that want to push the technology as fast as possible in an affordable market rather than relying on greed and very very slowly moving forward with it.

Thebonehead

Banned
If NVidia keeps raising prices, soon it will be cheaper to just buy a small airplane.

Spewing Tyler Perry GIF by Nickelodeon

You sir, win Neogaf for today. Made me laugh

To be fair, Raytracing is not really marketed as a luxury. The average gamer does not know that. I'd even go as far as to say, it shouldnt be a luxury, that was always the benefit of being a PC gamer, better high end graphics in an affordable market. Nowadays its just too expensive.
How is it not a luxury when it has always been marketed as an explicit benefit of upgrading to a new graphics card for like 5 years now.

Ive yet to see anything good about Raytracing. Not a single drop of good.
People are salivating for the possibility but it’s not a reality.
Wait another 20 years. Then we will have just enough silicon power to Matter.

Edit-Raytracing is indeed a reality. But the costs high. So high that it will take 20 years till games use it as the base mode of operation.
Kind of what I was saying in another thread and got pushback because of it.

I said 10 years before it's even relevant to a healthy percentage of pc gamers, much less the majority.

GHG

It's fucking hilarious that we now live in an age of the entitled masses. It's a free update, boo hoo if you can't run it well, it's not your god given right.

Once upon a time people used to be excited about games pushing boundaries in a way that you would have a lot of stuff to look forward to going back to once you get round to upgrading. Not anymore I guess. If people see something, logic goes out the window and they want it now. If they can't have it now then they hate on it.

Humanity needs a reset, social media was a mistake.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
It's fucking hilarious that we now live in an age of the entitled masses. It's a free update, boo hoo if you can't run it well, it's not your god given right.

Once upon a time people used to be excited about games pushing boundaries in a way that you would have a lot of stuff to look forward to going back to once you get round to upgrading. Not anymore I guess. If people see something, logic goes out the window and they want it now. If they can't have it now then they hate on it.

Humanity needs a reset, social media was a mistake.

now-right-now.gif

Buggy Loop

There, fixed it for ya.

People should expect RTX to be very expensive, maybe even more here since the game wasn't designed in the first place to have RTX and God knows how many hoops and sorcery it has to be able to.

Literally hijacking the communication channel between the game and the DX9 pipeline, putting the game in a new container, injecting AI improved textures and geometry, RT Path tracing, denoising on the go and then back to screen without the original game even knowing wtf is going on.

Peoples are trying to compare performances with a brand new engine made specifically for RT. They don't get it. This is the biggest technological "WTF" moment in history that they even managed to do this with these games as a MOD without making a new executable.

BuT WhY maH PerFoMrancE tAnkK??!

The Daily Show Wow GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

Before the tools are even publicly available, moders have already managed to inject the path tracing into older titles like SWAT 4 and Max Payne

FjuRU0lXEAA1g_2

FjrtFmUWYAESJUe

I want to repeat, this is a feat of engineering. These games are typically very hard to mod on top of that. The mod community is gonna have fun with this. Glad i have a card to run this.

bender

What time is it?
Hey, I remember when crysis first dropped and PC gamers saw that shit as a challenge and embraced it instead of whining like bitches about it.

The audience has expanded the majority of of PC gamers these days are kids that never experienced the golden era.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG
Kind of what I was saying in another thread and got pushback because of it.

I said 10 years before it's even relevant to a healthy percentage of pc gamers, much less the majority.

Hey, I remember when crysis first dropped and PC gamers saw that shit as a challenge and embraced it instead of whining like bitches about it.
So 10 years seems about right for a machine that arrives that can play this shiny new tech.

proandrad

The whole point of this free remaster is to sell new GPUs. Of course it doesn’t run well on older graphic cards. What did people expect?

Buggy Loop

So 10 years seems about right for a machine that arrives that can play this shiny new tech.

1ru4foykc6s91.png

Steam hardware survey indicates that Ampere did manage to find it's way into gaming PCs. All ampere series can at least try Portal RTX with different levels of optimization and DLSS modes. There's a case to make that there's a % of Turing cards too that can run it.

It'll be way faster than 10 years for adoption.

Banned

the last 2 console generations were so weak and so far behind PC tech that PC gamers were used to running everything at 120fps minimum at max settings, as games were designed for these super underpowered consoles.

like, the GPU of the PS4 was a cut down version of a mid range AMD card that came out 1½ years before the PS4 launched.
and the CPU was most likely a rancid turd that AMD's CEO's dog shat out on the lawn the day they started designing the APU.

while the 360 was super powerful at launch, it overstayed its welcome for so long that at the end of the generation it was practically begging for the sweet releave of death.

but now finally there's new advancements and technology that pushes PC gaming and hardware towards something revolutionary... and PC gamers now suddenly are back in the days of the late 90s and early 2000s where games took advantage of super high end PCs and you can't expect ridiculously high framerates all the time anymore.

PC gamers got weak during the era of 2010 to 2020.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I 1000% blame nvidia for bad first impressions as they hide the settings menu with a stupid requirement to press Alt-X to get to it. a 5 second small banner at the top of the initial load screen is not enough. I've already talked to several people running 3xxx cards that were saying the game was choppy as hell until they realized DLSS wasn't turned on because its hidden in the alt-x menu.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
several people running 3xxx cards that were saying the game was choppy as hell until they realized DLSS wasn't turned on because its hidden in the alt-x menu.
The audience has expanded the majority of of PC gamers these days are kids that never experienced the golden era.
Seems about right.

Literally hijacking the communication channel between the game and the DX9 pipeline, putting the game in a new container, injecting AI improved textures and geometry, RT Path tracing, denoising on the go and then back to screen without the original game even knowing wtf is going on.

Peoples are trying to compare performances with a brand new engine made specifically for RT. They don't get it. This is the biggest technological "WTF" moment in history that they even managed to do this with these games as a MOD without making a new executable.

BuT WhY maH PerFoMrancE tAnkK??!

The Daily Show Wow GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

Before the tools are even publicly available, moders have already managed to inject the path tracing into older titles like SWAT 4 and Max Payne

FjuRU0lXEAA1g_2

FjrtFmUWYAESJUe

I want to repeat, this is a feat of engineering. These games are typically very hard to mod on top of that. The mod community is gonna have fun with this. Glad i have a card to run this.

Holy moly those screenshots look delicious! :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Can't wait to replay some of my favorites modded with RTX.

Orta

Banned
Ive yet to see anything good about Raytracing. Not a single drop of good.
People are salivating for the possibility but it’s not a reality.
Wait another 20 years. Then we will have just enough silicon power to Matter.

Edit-Raytracing is indeed a reality. But the costs high. So high that it will take 20 years till games use it as the base mode of operation.

Couldn't give an absolute rats arse about it myself. Looks nice but give me higher frame rates and resolution over it any day.

Top Bottom