• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - NVIDIA does not want it's board partners working with Intel Battlemage

winjer

Gold Member

The report goes into saying that NVIDIA would go as far as ban such partners if they decide to launch GPUs based on Intel series. It is said that GPU supply limitations may apply if they decided to go with their plans. This is reportedly happening in China where such companies are now preparing for the launch of the new Intel series.

Unfortunately, the report has no evidence whatsoever, and it is extremely hard to confirm such information. However, PRO Hi-Tech is a well known channel which has strong connections with many companies, so there is no doubt something at play here. Furthermore, this would not be the first time NVIDIA is accused of something like this. Sadly, the person who has confirmed this to PRO Hi-Tech is unlikely to go on record:

uj1IagU.jpg

The Nvidia GeForce Partner Program (GPP) was an initiative introduced by Nvidia in early 2018. The program aimed to establish closer relationships between Nvidia and its hardware partners to promote Nvidia’s GeForce brand and technologies. However, it faced controversy and was eventually canceled.
The controversy surrounding the GeForce Partner Program arose from concerns that it could potentially limit competition by forcing partners to exclusively align with Nvidia and not offer competing products, such as AMD Radeon GPUs. Critics argued that this could lead to reduced consumer choice and potentially anti-competitive behavior.

In response to the criticism and concerns, Nvidia decided to cancel the GeForce Partner Program shortly after its announcement. The company stated that the program had been misunderstood and that it was never intended to limit the availability of AMD products or hinder competition. Nvidia emphasized its commitment to an open gaming ecosystem and fair competition in the GPU market.

Intel has only just started making a change in the discrete GPU market with their Arc Alchemist series. The company’s gaming offer may not be as strong as RDNA3/ADA lineups, but Intel GPUs have other benefits, such as powerful encoding capabilities and large VRAM up to 16GB. Unfortunately, there are hardly any new brands appearing Intel GPUs and there is limited presence from ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

The report goes into saying that NVIDIA would go as far as ban such partners if they decide to launch GPUs based on Intel series. It is said that GPU supply limitations may apply if they decided to go with their plans. This is reportedly happening in China where such companies are now preparing for the launch of the new Intel series.

Unfortunately, the report has no evidence whatsoever, and it is extremely hard to confirm such information. However, PRO Hi-Tech is a well known channel which has strong connections with many companies, so there is no doubt something at play here. Furthermore, this would not be the first time NVIDIA is accused of something like this. Sadly, the person who has confirmed this to PRO Hi-Tech is unlikely to go on record:

uj1IagU.jpg

The Nvidia GeForce Partner Program (GPP) was an initiative introduced by Nvidia in early 2018. The program aimed to establish closer relationships between Nvidia and its hardware partners to promote Nvidia’s GeForce brand and technologies. However, it faced controversy and was eventually canceled.
The controversy surrounding the GeForce Partner Program arose from concerns that it could potentially limit competition by forcing partners to exclusively align with Nvidia and not offer competing products, such as AMD Radeon GPUs. Critics argued that this could lead to reduced consumer choice and potentially anti-competitive behavior.

In response to the criticism and concerns, Nvidia decided to cancel the GeForce Partner Program shortly after its announcement. The company stated that the program had been misunderstood and that it was never intended to limit the availability of AMD products or hinder competition. Nvidia emphasized its commitment to an open gaming ecosystem and fair competition in the GPU market.

Intel has only just started making a change in the discrete GPU market with their Arc Alchemist series. The company’s gaming offer may not be as strong as RDNA3/ADA lineups, but Intel GPUs have other benefits, such as powerful encoding capabilities and large VRAM up to 16GB. Unfortunately, there are hardly any new brands appearing Intel GPUs and there is limited presence from ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte.
Queue the “I do not care DLSS good games graphics, do not care about the future” brigade…

This is reportedly happening in China where such companies are now preparing for the launch of the new Intel series.
Isn't a refresh, ARC+, first in line? And Battlemage comes 2024? Or were those rumors not true and there is no refresh?

Anyway, bad when companies instead of being better themselves, want to meddle with their competition's deals.
A good partner should be supported by getting a good price and always enough components and not threaten those if they may look into doing some business with someone else.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Intel really have had an uphill battle, Nvidia making it harder just for the fuck of it when they are already market leader by a huge gap is some slimy shit.

Im sure Intel can secure some deals, hopefully Palit isnt convinced to NOT deal with Intel, Palit have a huge distribution network losing them would make life alot harder.

I think the reasons Nvidia partners are suddenly looking to work with Intel is that Alchemist ended up being really good launch drivers notwithstanding, the A750 and A770 are legit options for people who dont need max settings 4K native.

Fuck off Nvidia! We need more competitors on the GPU market!
Too right.
Considering how Nvidia seemingly dont give a damn about the mid range, they should just shut the fuck up and let Intel take that spot.
They can keep making massive massive cooler xx90s.

Yeah that's bad if true. Interested to see how battlemage turns out.
If the original slides are to be believed their new range topper will be 4070(Ti) levels of performance.......at near half the price.
I was under the impression that they don't want their partners to work with nvidia either.
hahahaha.....RIP EVGA GPUs.

Last edited:
Intel needs to use their cpu power and force underclocks to voodoo banshee levels. To make Geforce games run at full potential, you have to disable nvidia cloud and subscribe to 130 channels Puerto rican and get a gamepass subscription.
south-park-too-bad.gif

Black_Stride

Are Intel Arc any good?
They had rocky launch drivers but Intel being Intel they fixed that shit within a month and their initial thinking was sound.....maybe just a year too early.

They are excellent midrange chips and are very competitively priced.

Bang for buck they are probably the best GPUs out right now.

Cant wait for B770 to really spank Nvidias midrange cards.
Nvidia delaying the RTX50s is also good for Intel cuz then their B770 wont be a full generation behind.

PeteBull

Are Intel Arc any good?
Depends what games u wanna play, most mainstreem releases are relatively ok driver wise, but if u like to play older/niche games, expect much lower performance vs similary priced nvidia/amd cards and whats even worse- all kinds of bugs/bad stability ;/
Recently even super mainstream game, like d4, had(dunno if still has) a bug when if u alt tabbed to desktop in the game to check map/guide etc it crashed game client, only on intel cards ofc.

Black_Stride

Depends what games u wanna play, most mainstreem releases are relatively ok driver wise, but if u like to play older/niche games, expect much lower performance vs similary priced nvidia/amd cards and whats even worse- all kinds of bugs/bad stability ;/
Recently even super mainstream game, like d4, had(dunno if still has) a bug when if u alt tabbed to desktop in the game to check map/guide etc it crashed game client, only on intel cards ofc.

They fixed most of the DX9 issues within 2 months of launch.
It was an oversight but somewhat logical, they focused their driver optimization on newer APIs cuz they figured people buying new GPUs wanted to play new games. As their Arc drivers dont have legacy support DX9 and earlier suffered.
Their driver team is filled with workhorses and they generally solved the whole DX9 issue with many games getting near double the performance of launch drivers.

Bugs in newer games are alot more rare and usually get fixed with their version of game ready drivers.

P3kJWVr.png

4Xq7HKr.png

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
If this is the case, Nvidia might be breaking anti-trust laws in several countries. This is very similar to what Microsoft did with OEM partners in the 90s to block Netscape, and MS was under active surveillance by the US DoJ until 2010 for this.

FStubbs

If this is true, this smells like a massive lawsuit, the likes of which I don't think nVidia would win even in the USA.

Last edited:

GHG

Shitty behaviour.

They've already made things more difficult for their board partners with their policies and revenue splits and now they want to make it difficult/impossible for them to make money via other avenues?

Time for regulators to step in me thinks.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I guess if Battlemage comes out strong in early 2024 and Nvidia doesn't have anything to counter it until early 2025, it's time to bring back the GPP strategy.

I hope for Intel to be incredibly successful with their dGPU lineup but to be honest, this is Intel getting a bit of their own medicine.

If this is the case, Nvidia might be breaking anti-trust laws in several countries. This is very similar to what Microsoft did with OEM partners in the 90s to block Netscape, and MS was under active surveillance by the US DoJ until 2010 for this.
If this is true, this smells like a massive lawsuit, the likes of which I don't think nVidia would win even in the USA.

How would Nvidia be sued in the USA or EU for stuff they're doing in e.g. China and Taiwan, which is where most of these assembly factories are located?

PeteBull

here 3060ti vs a770 vs 6700xt in new/popular games, looks like similar price and performance bracket, rouglhy, but again, those are mainstream games that avg gaffer doesnt need to google to recognise, if u try 5+yo game that isnt popular, or even newer one but very niche, things will not look as pretty anymore.
In my personal ranking of good value products 6700xt is top, 2nd is 3060ti and only on last place of the 3 is a770, despite that tasty 16gigs of vram ;/

And about 4060ti vs older 3060ti, this short vid shows the difference in layman terms

kuncol02

Banned
Intel was sued by AMD for exactly same thing in 2005.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't see how Nvidia can do this. Considering their share of the GPU market, it seems like an anticompetitive action and a violation of the law. That said, if board partners are eager to hop on board with Intel, it is largely because Nvidia is a shitty partner to them.

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Sad. Like Nvidia GPUs but Intel GPUs looks like a very interesting product. Mostly I fear about drivers and compatibility, but it has many good features.

Get fucked Nvidia. I hope they all do an EVGA and ditch your greedy ass.

Good luck to Intel. Someone needs to put Nvidia in their place.

DaGwaphics

In the states this wouldn't be much of an issue as it stands since the only Intel vendors we are getting (Asrock, Acer, and Sparkle) are from AIB's that don't do Nvidia. The biggest win for Intel in this area would have been if they could have convinced EVGA to give it a go, they had a lot of trust with that brand.

Puscifer

I fully believe it, they pissed off EVGA so at this point you should just believe them if I'm being honest.

winjer

Gold Member
Nvidia has pulled the same tactic in the past.

XFX used to only make nvidia cards, they wanted to grow the company and started to offer ATI/AMD cards as well. Jensen being Jensen had a shit fit and Nvidia cut them off.

XFX Europe have confirmed that they only want to associate themselves with AMD from this point onwards. The company will bring an outstanding array AMD next-generation graphics to market in October and November and it will compete aggressively against Fermi. Enough is enough, say XFX to Nvidia’s recent action to de-authorise them from the approved partner list.

Many people are not aware of the fact that until last Friday, XFX was actually selling and supporting Nvidia cards, just not Fermi based ones. The story is rather simple. Last year, XFX started selling ATI, Nvidia got mad and told them that they won’t get Fermi based cards. XFX wanted to offer AMD boards and many gamers actually saw this as a great move and because it could make some nice money and market share of course.

NVidia has been doing these things for a long time.
So it's not a surprise they now do it against Intel.

Black_Stride

Sad. Like Nvidia GPUs but Intel GPUs looks like a very interesting product. Mostly I fear about drivers and compatibility, but it has many good features.
Their driver team is god tier.
Within 2 months of launch they fixed pretty much every complaint people had.

Now the drivers are relatively mature their second generation of GPUs will launch in a stable state(hopefully).

P3kJWVr.png

Just last week, people on this site were complaining about AMD's anti-consumer practices of not allowing game developers to support DLSS while saying Nvidia would never do something like that.

And now this.

BOTH companies do shit like this.

Buggy Loop

LOL, with near dominance of like 85% Nvidia, AMD 10% and 5% Intel, they can be funny sometimes.

Hustling Dave Chappelle GIF

They're testing the limits of when the slap of monopoly practices will hit them. Although, i guess if they pulled the same kind of agreement with their partners against AMD, not sure why Intel would get special treatment.

Intel is Nvidia's biggest threat in coming years.

Black_Stride

This must be his worst nightmare. Intel vs Nvidia. Who would he even side with?

Ah, who am I kidding. He'd find some way to blame AMD.
Its obviously AMDs fault because they have their own facilities to build GPUs those "Built by AMD" reference models.....why are they stealing partnership deals from Intel by also having AIBs build GPUs for them?
AMD are being greedy dogs.

Ohh but wait Nvidia also make their own reference Founders Editions.......wait wait Intel also make their own reference Limited Editions?

Shit.....how I spin this to make it AMDs fault?

GreatnessRD

Its obviously AMDs fault because they have their own facilities to build GPUs those "Built by AMD" reference models.....why are they stealing partnership deals from Intel by also having AIBs build GPUs for them?
AMD are being greedy dogs.

Ohh but wait Nvidia also make their own reference Founders Editions.......wait wait Intel also make their own reference Limited Editions?

Shit.....how I spin this to make it AMDs fault?
I love you.*

* No homo

hlm666

Remember when Intel strong armed nvidia out of the x86 chipset business because apple started using nvidia chipsets in their macbooks? The jacket has a long memory like the elephant the skin came from to make it.

nowhat

Fun fact: apparently the PS4 game runs at 60 FPS on PS5 in BC mode. 🙂
Yeah, and apparently it was patched (up to a point) on last gen, DF did a followup video on it which is quite rare.

But that video is such a classic that it's the first thing that springs to mind when I see/hear the word "battlemage".

These companies have no natural loyalty to Nvidia.

It was already known Nvidia treats their partners poorly, but to threaten them from making additional income.. I'd be willing to bet they'd be happy to see Intel eat Nvidia's share of the pie.

Top Bottom