• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia bans HardwareUnboxed from receiving review samples

K.S v2.0

Banned
It is about people hearing what reviewers really think about a product.
It is not about people hearing WHAT YOU want about your product.

This kind of move turns you into an asshole who strongarms reviewers.

It is not the first case either. Anandtech was bullied by NV into reviewing stock AMD GPU vs cherry picked AIB Fermi chip in the past.

I get it, just playing devil's advocate here coz at the end of the day, Nvidia is a for-profit company, and this is what companies do.

The exact same shit happens with games and 'critic reviews'. Why do you think literally every 'major' critic review out there is very literally Paid Reviews General™? They all made a business decision to suck corporate cock and spit out 10/10 reviews no matter how bad.

But the point is: That is STILL a choice you, as an independent, have to make.

If you choose to remain true neutral and want to put out the actual truth to the people, then you have to accept there are consequences that go with that decision. The indepdent reviewers who suck it up and continue to tell the truth despite the handicap, are the ones who ultimately win the respect of the people.

Doing what HW unboxed did and choosing to take a stance, then cry like a little bitch when the consequences come reeeeeeally isn't a good look. It just comes off as being an entitled little bitch.

Ascend

Important snippets of my comment;

Just as a disclaimer, this has nothing to do with people now going AMD instead, but people actually punishing a corporation trying to abuse its power.
And everyone else watching (including AMD and Intel) are definitely paying attention right now.

The reply...;
Oh my fucking God, I didn't even fucking knew Nvidia haters were such pathetic little cunts.

What a shitshow.

🤷‍♂️

llien

I made my choice years ago: never buy stinky green's products.

The discussion was about weighing this particular move and no way it hell could it be regarded as "it's just business".
In fact, NV is the only company in history that tried to pull this shit:

And also:
computerbase (Germans) raised the "fuck off" flag explaining why, stinky green monster decided to retreat due to bad press, but... lot's of sites (including TPU, which is sited so often not because they have the best methodology out there, but because they historically roll out charts, even though, comically, their charts from the past were simply wrong: when you compared card A to card B, your result depended on what is taken as a base (they used arithmetic mean, instead of geometric one), but that beside the point) signed it.

No, that's not "just business", that is "being assholes".

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I made my choice years ago: never buy stinky green's products.

The discussion was about weighing this particular move and no way it hell could it be regarded as "it's just business".
In fact, NV is the only company in history that tried to pull this shit:

And also:
computerbase (Germans) raised the "fuck off" flag explaining why, stinky green monster decided to retreat due to bad press, but... lot's of sites (including TPU, which is sited so often not because they have the best methodology out there, but because they historically roll out charts, even though, comically, their charts from the past were simply wrong: when you compared card A to card B, your result depended on what is taken as a base (they used arithmetic mean, instead of geometric one), but that beside the point) signed it.

No, that's not "just business", that is "being assholes".
Yeah yeah we all know you hate nvidia

K.S v2.0

Banned
So far so good for "playing devil's advocate".

Not calling out NV's BS would be a terrible decision on HU side.

I'm no corporate apologist, pfft. I know better than to ever believe ANY companies anywhere, fucking ever, is a friend. ALL companies are scum.

But, also gotta call out guys being entitled whiny little bitches when they are. You take a deal, sorry, its called a deal for a reason.... you don't get to break the rules, then cry that you got your ass booted out.

Ascend

OtRbjZB.png

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Marlenus

I get it, just playing devil's advocate here coz at the end of the day, Nvidia is a for-profit company, and this is what companies do.

The exact same shit happens with games and 'critic reviews'. Why do you think literally every 'major' critic review out there is very literally Paid Reviews General™? They all made a business decision to suck corporate cock and spit out 10/10 reviews no matter how bad.

If you choose to remain true neutral and want to put out the actual truth to the people, then you have to accept there are consequences that go with that decision. The indepdent reviewers who suck it up and continue to tell the truth despite the handicap, are the ones who ultimately win the respect of the people.

Doing what HW unboxed did and choosing to take a stance, then cry like a little bitch when the consequences come reeeeeeally isn't a good look. It just comes off as being an entitled little bitch.

Show where they cried.

Jon Neu

Banned
Seems more like you have Stockholm syndrome and this negative NV press is breaking the walls of cognitive dissonance you have erected so you are lashing out at others so you can try and rebuild them.

Talk about projecting.

I'm just enjoying the shitshow of little grunts such as yourself going rabid dog crazy against Nvidia because of some fucked up weird personal hate that obviously goes beyond just preferences.

Please, keep posting more youtube comments and the same video all over again, don't let this die.

Keep the rage going, little grunts!

Marlenus

Talk about projecting.

I'm just enjoying the shitshow of little grunts such as yourself going rabid dog crazy against Nvidia because of some fucked up weird personal hate that obviously goes beyond just preferences.

Please, keep posting more youtube comments and the same video all over again, don't let this die.

Keep the rage going, little grunts!

That you equate pointing out NV fucked up and did a bad/stupid thing with going rabid dog crazy against NV says everything.

Shai-Tan

Banned

dude your take is so laughably facile and I don’t know how the Nvidiot bandwagon and/or apologia for companies strong arming the media gained traction here because it’s literally the only site I’ve visited full of this. theres a reason why FTC regulations exist re promotion and Nvidia trying to manipulate media to skew coverage favorably is in the spirit of why those regulations exist. apparently we’re only supposed to complain when creators produce promotional videos that are straight up corporate propaganda (like the Nvidia 8k gaming videos in the run up to the 3000 series release). And ironically hardware unboxed is one of the few who never do that type of video beyond “we’re making a pc with all these x brand parts”

Marlenus

Literally absolutely everything they did when they got 'banned' up to when Nvidia walked it back is the very definition of WAAAAAAAAAAH STOP PICKING ON US! WE DID WAT U ASKEDS! WE TOTES DID! WAAAAAAAAH! MYSOGINY! (etc etc etc)

So no receipts then.

They put a note on youtube and sent a few tweets.

There was none of what you claim so I have no idea what you are whining about.

Chiggs

Timestamped, special treatment specifically for you;

At first, I was impressed. He should just say “fuck you, we’re not playing with you anymore." But as the video went on, it became a "we're doing this for you" cringe-fest, which I interpret as "back to business as usual for us." He also seems to be under the impression that he is a freedom fighter combatting Mafia Nazis, but he's not--he's a hobbyist who got into a squabble with a marketing department over free review cards and editorial slant.

If Linus and his rag-tag bag of pseudo-journalists all decide to stop playing ball with Nvidia, then I will be legitimately impressed. Personally speaking, if I knew someone who was an evil Mafia Nazi, I wouldn't do business with them.

And it's really that simple. No need to inject any "I'm doing this for the fans!" nonsense into the equation...unless, you know, you want things to go back to the way they were

Last edited:

Chiggs

Talk about damage control doing more damage. They should have had someone else send the email, and it should have been written like this:

Hi Steve,

There's been a whirlwind of activity since Bryan last emailed you. After some internal discussion, here's our stance going forward:

• Admittedly, we haven't been thrilled with your RTX coverage; however, Nvidia wants to make it clear that we do respect the press and their editorial integrity.
  • As such, we welcome you and Hardware Unboxed to NDA press briefings, access to press material, early press drivers, and access to our partner/AIC boards, as well as Founder's Edition boards.

We understand you're mostly likely frustrated or confused with what's transpired over the past several days, so if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out. 012-345-6789

Sincerely,

Someone who is not Bryan

TriSuit666

Banned
This thread has turned to shit but I find it humorous how anyone defending a multi-billion dollar company is trying to claim moral superiority.

Yeah, especially the other allegations of stiffing the price of cards and selling chips to miners over other customers. This is the small crumbs of batter you find at the bottom of the chip fryer.

mmm, those tasty tasty pieces of batter...

Last edited:

Chiggs

This thread has turned to shit but I find it humorous how anyone defending a multi-billion dollar company is trying to claim moral superiority.

You'll find it even funnier when those poor, poor beleaguered YouTubers suddenly forget all this happened and continue to do sponsored videos with Nazi Mafia Inc.

Should we get bets in on when Linus' next Nvidia-sponsored video will be? Knowing he needs to act the part for a bit...does March 2021 seem realistic?

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
I mean, they aren’t doing proper reviews. Intentionally Ignoring half your feature set just because the competition lacks it is insane.

The “reviews” are basically just trolling for clicks. Why should Nvidia be obliged to support it?
Did you even watch a video on their channel? They put up a poll and the vast majority said RT was not the primary focus for them, hence they "only" include 5 RT games in their benchmarks. That's not ignoring it, that's ignorance (on your part). Let's not even mention the precedence it sets where a manufacturer can force reviewers into a specific editorial opinion by holding back review hardware.

Antitype

Did you even watch a video on their channel? They put up a poll and the vast majority said RT was not the primary focus for them, hence they "only" include 5 RT games in their benchmarks. That's not ignoring it, that's ignorance (on your part). Let's not even mention the precedence it sets where a manufacturer can force reviewers into a specific editorial opinion by holding back review hardware.

Which shouldn't be surprising given his stance on RT. Anyone even remotely interested in RT stopped watching this channel a while ago when it became clear they had no intention of properly covering the subject. I can't really blame them with how underwhelming performance was on the RTX 20 series, but with the 30 series, it has become a lot more viable at lower price points. And those 5 games are really a poor representation of RT when they're all light RT titles.

And even worse than their RT coverage is how they still omit adding DLSS benchmarks for all games that support 2.0 when they do their GPU comparisons. When like 99% of the people owning those cards are going to use it, omitting it does a disservice to their audience by misleading them on what the out of the box performance will be in those titles. The era of running at native resolution is over, it's a waste of resources when you can get the same IQ with reconstruction.

Last edited:

Ascend

Which shouldn't be surprising given his stance on RT. Anyone even remotely interested in RT stopped watching this channel a while ago when it became clear they had no intention of properly covering the subject. I can't really blame them with how underwhelming performance was on the RTX 20 series, but with the 30 series, it has become a lot more viable at lower price points. And those 5 games are really a poor representation of RT when they're all light RT titles.

And even worse than their RT coverage is how they still omit adding DLSS benchmarks for all games that support 2.0 when they do their GPU comparisons. When like 99% of the people owning those cards are going to use it, omitting it does a disservice to their audience by misleading them on what the out of the box performance will be in those titles. The era of running at native resolution is over, it's a waste of resources when you can get the same IQ with reconstruction.
And yet they just gained a bunch of subscribers because of nVidia's shenanigans.

It's over. Give it up already.

Still leaving this here;

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm no corporate apologist, pfft. I know better than to ever believe ANY companies anywhere, fucking ever, is a friend. ALL companies are scum.

But, also gotta call out guys being entitled whiny little bitches when they are. You take a deal, sorry, its called a deal for a reason.... you don't get to break the rules, then cry that you got your ass booted out.
Ironically, your position on this makes it so that being a corporate apologist becomes a lot easier.

You take a deal, sorry, its called a deal for a reason.... you don't get to break the rules,
What rules did they break? Nvidia's email says they "continued to focus singularly on rasterization performance" and "largely discounted all of the other technologies"

unknown.png

They have dedicated multiple videos on RTX and DLSS. Their positive quotes about DLSS are used on Nvidia's website itself. What rules did they break?

Agreed. I don’t trust Nvidia to be anything other than a greedy. AMD too. Hardware Unboxed too. LTT too.

That’s the difference.

These other guys think AMD cares about them. And that Hardware Unboxed has journalistic integrity. And it’s okay to disregard 25% of people because “the majority” don’t care. They’re authoritarians who are okay with suppressing minority opinions.

mitchman

Gold Member

Another one that didn't watch the video. HU did a dedicated video featuring DLSS and RT on the new RTX 30xx cards, did you conveniently just ignore that? Why do you even comment on something you clearly haven't bothered to research? Their comment, as stated in the video you didn't watch, is even used BY NVIDIA on the nvidia front page describing DLSS.

Last edited:
Personally I feel like all outlets, whether game outlets or technical outlets, should buy their own units. Avoids any sort of uncertainty or pressure between the marketing part and the consumer review parts of the chain. If a reviewer feels like the RT is of minor interest compared to the overall rasterization capabilities of the machine, then it's not surprising that it's being relegated off. That's an editorial decision. Then you can of course criticize the outlet for that choice, citing various argumentation. However, company strong-arming just makes the whole relationship suspicious across the board.
Reviews of games often gloss over important strengths of a game, unique aspects that competitive brands don't have and we usually react calling out the review. Of course, some of the companies do now and then blacklist outlets because they don't give them the marketing focus they personally want, time after time.
The solution should just to allow outlets to purchase an earlier copy of a hardware/software, in order to have a review in time. Thus the financial relationship is practically gone. Of course, there are other aspects of the relationship, like industry contacts, networking for future job prospects and preview experiences and events, that might further muddy the waters as well.

This also regards other online influencers, like that interesting Cyberpunk 2077 chair thread, which further makes for interesting view of how overall problematic a lot of relations in the industry can become.

Ascend

Agreed. I don’t trust Nvidia to be anything other than a greedy. AMD too. Hardware Unboxed too. LTT too.
Imagine taking a two-person YouTube channel and equating them to multi billion dollar corporations....

First this guy talks about a corporation "raping" someone's gf and now this BS. How is this user not banned yet?
Mods don't pay attention unless multiple users report a post. So if you think that post is wrong, report it.

Last edited:

Antitype

Another one that didn't watch the video. HU did a dedicated video featuring DLSS and RT on the new RTX 30xx cards, did you conveniently just ignore that? Why do you even comment on something you clearly haven't bothered to research? Their comment, as stated in the video you didn't watch, is even used BY NVIDIA on the nvidia front page describing DLSS.

That's exactly the issue. It's in a separate video when it should be in the same where they show the performance of all the cards, because nobody is going to run native resolution on the RTX cards when DLSS Quality gives the same IQ. You should see the AMD cards running native resolution (because they didn't think it was important to have a working reconstruction tech at launch), versus Nvidia RTX cards all running on DLSS Quality since it's the actual out of the box performance. Then the day AMD releases their own take on ML upscaling, revisit and update all those graphs. That's the only fair way to do benchmarks, deliberately gimping one side because the other didn't invest their silicon in the same features is unprofessional. Period.

A lot of it doesn't seem like Nvidia fanboyism to me, however. More like some kind of irrational distrust of new media. Even the ones that do a better job than traditional media.

One has to wonder where they're even getting their day one reviews from if they don't trust the old sites, and hate the fact that youtubers get pre release cards.

But of course then you realise these are the kind of people to be rolling their deformed faces over the f5 key to purchase immediately the site goes live. They're pouring so much vigour into a topic which doesn't even apply to them in the first place.

Chiggs

You people are nuts.

I remember saying RTX gets nerds all fired up. I think that is inarguably true after watching this thread.

I think the sticking point was that they didn't cover it in their initial review in depth, hence Linus saying this:

"I thought that, if anything, the review of the RTX 3080 glossed over RTX. Okay? I would say that we would have covered it in more depth than Steve did."

The standalone video was solid.

One has to wonder where they're even getting their day one reviews from if they don't trust the old sites, and hate the fact that youtubers get pre release cards.

Definitely the old sites for me, and the greater the delay, the better the review. Of course, it's not like the old sites are infallible (Kyle from HardOCP being a prime example).

Last edited:
Top Bottom