• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the Top-Selling Console in November in the US with More Than 1.3 Million Units Sold

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Because it is Nintendo, it is not really surprising.

If it would be any other brand, it would be surprising

because Switch is overpriced, toy like quality, specs were bad even on launch (related of the high price), too many games are low quality/simple, ergonomics are shit (vita is also uncomfortable without grip add-on), games are way too expensive (launch games still at full price), many "big" games are wii u ports including BotW, 3rd party ports look like puke and run like snail because of the cheaped out hardware and so on.

Anyone else would sell system like that and it would not succeed.

My point is that because people "love"(how do you love an object?) Nintendo, they get away with things that others would not, which makes it kind of sad. As in if they would have to try their best, they would not go with half lights and gamers would get better games + system, right?

I get it why people like it, but I personally dislike that lot of potential is lost to the lazy business tactics of making cheapest possible thing and sell it on highest price.

I got mine about 6-8 months from launch and after the launch year there havent been anything really interesting. Only "nintendo game" I like is BotW, and xenoblade 2 + mario&rabbids were nice.

But after that = nothing, or it is hidden in the thousands of vaporware titles.

Does it sell like crazy, mostly yes (never sold out here unlike all playstations tend to do)

could it be better with minor changes? definitely yes.

My point is, that Nintendo fans and gamers + media dont criticize them enough so they get away with it.

As an example if a reviewer would hate Mario odyssey and think it were the most boring game of the year (like I did), could they honestly review it like that and give it 2/5? No, their career would be over because "nobody can hate mario"-politics.

While nintendo audience gives them all the money they want, they dont give them enough pressure to grow into something better.

Because, why would they try more when bare minimum is enough? Like those pretty girls whom get everything free in their life, they never have to grow into something better.

D3YUF4h.jpg

How can this be?
Switch sold 1.3 million units.
PS4 sold 1.5m+ consoles in November 2013.

how can PS5 have the most successful launch, if it sold less than switch in November? Doesn’t make any sense at all.

Last edited:
Because it is Nintendo, it is not really surprising.

If it would be any other brand, it would be surprising

because Switch is overpriced, toy like quality, specs were bad even on launch (related of the high price), too many games are low quality/simple, ergonomics are shit (vita is also uncomfortable without grip add-on), games are way too expensive (launch games still at full price), many "big" games are wii u ports including BotW, 3rd party ports look like puke and run like snail because of the cheaped out hardware and so on.

Anyone else would sell system like that and it would not succeed.

My point is that because people "love"(how do you love an object?) Nintendo, they get away with things that others would not, which makes it kind of sad. As in if they would have to try their best, they would not go with half lights and gamers would get better games + system, right?

I get it why people like it, but I personally dislike that lot of potential is lost to the lazy business tactics of making cheapest possible thing and sell it on highest price.

I got mine about 6-8 months from launch and after the launch year there havent been anything really interesting. Only "nintendo game" I like is BotW, and xenoblade 2 + mario&rabbids were nice.

But after that = nothing, or it is hidden in the thousands of vaporware titles.

Does it sell like crazy, mostly yes (never sold out here unlike all playstations tend to do)

could it be better with minor changes? definitely yes.

My point is, that Nintendo fans and gamers + media dont criticize them enough so they get away with it.

As an example if a reviewer would hate Mario odyssey and think it were the most boring game of the year (like I did), could they honestly review it like that and give it 2/5? No, their career would be over because "nobody can hate mario"-politics.

While nintendo audience gives them all the money they want, they dont give them enough pressure to grow into something better.

Because, why would they try more when bare minimum is enough? Like those pretty girls whom get everything free in their life, they never have to grow into something better.
I do agree with most of the points you raise. I only have a switch and I do wish they had a little more diversity, but I can't expect much. Not only that, but the console is still lacking basic features.

Nintendo is basically like Apple, they're pretty much untouchable (Apple designs are premium though).

Now, the Switch is cheap yeah, but it's an enticing product because I can easily say that it's a more casual console. Not everyone wants a PS5 or a XSX, because they're bigger investments and some people just want some quick fun. Just like the 3DS and DS before it.

What I applaud Nintendo of doing is how they always try new fresh approaches to their consoles, while the other two just stick to what they know.

Chastten

Banned
Well, Nintendo's 'bare minimum' is, to me personally, still better than anything Sony has put out in the past 15 years so why would I criticize them?

I don't care about Nintendo as a company, but when they release hardware that I really like, with a controller that I really like, and games that I absolutely love, then yeah, I don't mind for one second to spend €60 on a game. Even a three year old one. A fantastic game is a fantastic game and I would spend a €100 on it, no questions asked.

People should get it out of their head that everyone likes the same stuff. For some reason Nintendo fans are looked down upon because they don't care as much about graphics or having a netflix app or some bullshit. Which is all the more amusing because all those argument instantly make the PS5 and Xbox even more obsolete because a PC will always be the best at absolutely everything as long as you're willing to spend the money on it. A PS5 or Xbox literally can not do anything my PC can't. At least the Switch is portable giving it one huge benefit over PC.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Well, Nintendo's 'bare minimum' is, to me personally, still better than anything Sony has put out in the past 15 years so why would I criticize them?

I don't care about Nintendo as a company, but when they release hardware that I really like, with a controller that I really like, and games that I absolutely love, then yeah, I don't mind for one second to spend €60 on a game. Even a three year old one. A fantastic game is a fantastic game and I would spend a €100 on it, no questions asked.

People should get it out of their head that everyone likes the same stuff. For some reason Nintendo fans are looked down upon because they don't care as much about graphics or having a netflix app or some bullshit. Which is all the more amusing because all those argument instantly make the PS5 and Xbox even more obsolete because a PC will always be the best at absolutely everything as long as you're willing to spend the money on it. A PS5 or Xbox literally can not do anything my PC can't. At least the Switch is portable giving it one huge benefit over PC.
Agreed but what about laptops?

lol

Serious that north-american people are saying that Switch is expensive?

C'mon people. When the Switch sells more than your beloved PS4, guess what, nothing will happen in the day after. Life continue.

yurinka

It's normal, Switch it's on the peak year of its lifecyle and happened at the same time than the other ones are supply constrained being some of them sunseting and the other ones released and sold out (this is the reason of why Switch sold more than PS5). And well, now has the handheld monopoly.

I expect to happen the same in December.

It's normal, Switch it's on the peak year of its lifecyle and happened at the same time than the other ones are supply constrained being some of them sunseting and the other ones released and sold out (this is the reason of why Switch sold more than PS5). And well, now has the handheld monopoly.

I expect to happen the same in December.
Switch is the most sold console in the last 2 years straight.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
How can this be?

how can PS5 have the most successful launch, if it sold less than switch in November? Doesn’t make any sense at all.
no need to be bitter.

yurinka

The others consoles weren't supply constrained in 2018 neither it was the Switch peak year.
Obviously, PS5 and Series X|S weren't in the market back then, and weren't going to be released next month. PS4 and XBO were already in the declining part of their sales curve and didn't have the handheld market to rely on. When making comparisions we have to see the whole picture.

It's like saying 'PS4 sold way more units than Switch until now'. Obviously, because it has been in the market for way more time. When comparing PS4 (or Switch, or PS5, or Xbox) sales would make more sense to do it considering the whole picture, like their life cycle and competition context and/or launch aligning.

If we launch align global sales PS4 and Switch we see that outside the extra Q3 that PS4 had they had pretty much the same sales until the covid lockdowns (+AC in case of Switch) peak all gaming and internet industry experienced starting this spring, so until now PS4 had the launch aligned lead and now Switch has it (PS4 had the covid peak on its 8th instead of 4th fiscal year, and its peak is lower because it's in the sunset stage of its sales cycle, where it has way less sales so its peak is smaller and with its succesor being released on a few months, so many people insterested on a PS may have waited).

In the current November, Switch is in the context of its peak year for whatever reasons (covid, AC...) when even Nintendo thought its peak fiscal year was going to be the previous one, and Sony and MS are in the context of making their record worldwide launch (for MS in case of MS, for the gaming history in case of PS5) in more countries than ever before -so had to spread their available units between more countries- in the middle of a pandemic, and sold out all the units they could produce so couldn't sell more because of that. And the Xbox and PS5 warehouse/retailer stock and shipments were full of them so had very little space for their previous gen consoles.

So yes, looking at the big picture makes sense Switch is the best selling console now and some time ago, and will be the next month too, because even if there is a huge demand for next gen consoles they just released so their production capabilities are very limited compared to a device that is on its peak point of the life cycle so can produce way more units for each month.

PS5 maybe will have this December the best 2nd month ever sales for any gaming, or best first two month ever sales, but they will continue having a very limited supply because their production will continue being very limited and way under the current global demand. And PS5 is a console on its 8th fiscal year recently replaced by its successor, and way fucking expensive for being that old, so doesn't make sense to expect big PS4 sales from it this December. And well, Xbox has a smaller market share than PS.

How can this be?

Regarding PS4 November 2013 sales we only know it sold "more than 1M on the first 24h". We don't know if they were able to receive and sell more units during that month.

Switch in November 2020 sold 1.35M, and we know PS5 sales are between PS4 Nov 2013 sales and Switch Nov 2020 sales.

So PS4 November 2013 must have been between 1M and 1.3M. I'd bet PS4 November 2013 were 1.1M and PS5 November 2020 1.2M or something very close.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
*Nintendo announce Switch price is $300*

People: FUCK IS THIS OVERPRICED OMG THEY'RE DOOMED

*Nintendo keeps selling Switches like hot bread after 3.5 years still at $300 but the real price goes well beyond that due to demand and shortages*

People: Sure it will, it's cheap.

giphy.gif

Basically yah.

Last edited:

Eevee86

*Nintendo announce Switch price is $300*

People: FUCK IS THIS OVERPRICED OMG THEY'RE DOOMED

*Nintendo keeps selling Switches like hot bread after 3.5 years still at $300 but the real price goes well beyond that due to demand and shortages*

People: Sure it will, it's cheap.

giphy.gif
Accurate.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Basically yah. Switch was doomed because it was too expensive at $300. Now it is too cheap (as if affordable is a bad thing)
Tho Switch keeps the same MSPR than it had on launch and actually selling at scalp price for more than $400 for basically all this year... Switch is not exempt from offer issues like 4KTwins, it even improved a little I'd say since price have been going down a little in the last 3 months... I know because I was looking for a Switch to buy but it was too expensive and had to get a used one

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Tho Switch keeps the same MSPR than it had on launch and actually selling at scalp price for more than $400 for basically all this year... Switch is not exempt from offer issues like 4KTwins, it even improved a little I'd say since price have been going down a little in the last 3 months... I know because I was looking for a Switch to buy but it was too expensive and had to get a used one

They also seems to bundle hardware with games to increase the value rather than outright discount. For example there's a Switch Pro Controller + Mario Odyssey bundle earlier this month.

Congrats to the Switch. Well deserved.

I'm not the biggest fan of the handheld gaming, but man is the Switch so incredibly convenient:

-
Going to bed but not quite ready? Just stretch your hand out to your nightstand, grab the Switch, and play a few minutes of something
- Waiting for the bus? Pull out the Switch, resume where you left off the night before
- (I don't do this but can certainly see the use case) At a boring work remote meeting where someone is just droning on for hours? Put yourself on mute, enjoy Switch goodness.
- Etc etc...

It helps that the selection of games on the Switch is pretty good -- of course first party Mario/Zelda/Pokemon stuff, but also third party (Doom/Wolfenstein/Resident Evil/etc), and a shit ton of retro goodness. For this last category, the Switch is fantastic, as the approach to grab and play for 5 minutes here and there is a perfect match between those two.

I have no particular allegiance to Nintendo (in fact, I find Nintendo die-hards to be kind of annoying), but I'm very happy to see the continued success of the Switch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom