• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg via Takashi Mochizuki — Nintendo planning to ship over 10 million Switch 2 units next fisical year

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I love OLED as much as the next guy but the whinging is insane. The vast majority of consumers don't give a flying fuck. Just wait for the upgrade model you're inevitably going to buy anyway.

Robb

Gold Member
If they have better motion controls and they update Splatoon to use it, I'm day one for this thing.
Yes! Give me snappy motion controls and Splatoon 4 down the line
Well Done Ok GIF by funk

I really hope they can do a better job with the motion controls on the next one. It’s so darn floaty on the Switch compared to Wii/WiiU.

leo-j

The launch titles will make or break that. Prime 4, Odyssey 2, Xenoblade X Remake, Baldur's Gate 3, and Bayonetta 1-3 Remaster should be ready for launch. That's all your important genres covered.
I totally expect a better UI, and a Nintendo network for inline I def think online + portable will be their focus. Specs a little under ps4 pro , making it capable of running ps4 games on the go spec wise maybe higher since it’s probably going to push for 720-900p in portable and 1440p-2160p docked. So games ported from series S would probably be a thing.

ByWatterson

Yeah. Lots of really weird posts pretending like there aren’t great LCD displays. The vast majority of console and PC gamers aren’t on OLED. And they’re perfectly fine.

There are also people like me who basically never play in handheld. We treat our Switch like a family home console like any other (unless we're on the road with our kids).

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
The launch titles will make or break that. Prime 4, Odyssey 2, Xenoblade X Remake, Baldur's Gate 3, and Bayonetta 1-3 Remaster should be ready for launch. That's all your important genres covered.
Next Mario Kart should be launch window as well.

And I'd be lying if I said I'm not expecting heavy third-party support from day 1 this time around: Assassin's Creed Codename Red, Star Wars Outlaws, Call of Duty: Black Ops Gulf War, Cyberpunk 2077 Complete Edition, Dragon's Dogma 2 and who the hell knows if even a Starfield complete edition.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This OLED moaning is a bit much.
I don't understand how lack of OLED is "killing the hype" for this thing. When I upgraded from the OG Switch to the OLED version that was nice, but it didn't make a huge difference in the actual enjoyment of the games. When this thing launches with some (hopefully)killer games, those games will not be that different because of the screen not being OLED.
It's strange how people are fine with Nintendo hardware struggling to get 30fps, but as long as the colours pop a bit more, all is fine..

And don't people use this with a TV most of the time anyways?
I could't imagine playing a game like Metroid Prime in handheld mode.

And when the upgraded version comes along in a few years, just sell your machine And upgrade when the better one is out there.

Glad to see that the machine will hopefully be easily available at launch. Really looking forward to new Nintendo hardware! Especially if Prime 4 is an actual launch title (one can only hope)
Some people like to whine like entitled assholes.

Whatever. I saw some site report this news as meaning it will be easier to get Switch than a PS5. That is so bullshit because it is meaningless. These things will be very hard to get regardless and there will probably be more parents looking to get them for their kids.

OuterLimits

Somehow I can’t imagine that it will be that much successful. Nearly all children who play games have a Switch by now and it will be a hard sell to their parents why they need a new one.

Sure adults will buy it, especially since I am pretty sure a new 3D Mario and Metroid prime 4 will be launch titles, but for parents who are not so familiar with games will have trouble to understand it.

You vastly underestimate the ability of children to very successfully harass their parents until they give in. Trust me, many parents will buy their kids the next generation Switch.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Nintendo Switch Launch Trailer was released about 4.5 months before the launch date. So if Switch 2 launches in October that puts a potential reveal in June.

MrA

Banned
You vastly underestimate the ability of children to very successfully harass their parents until they give in. Trust me, many parents will buy their kids the next Switch.

Somehow I can’t imagine that it will be that much successful. Nearly all children who play games have a Switch by now and it will be a hard sell to their parents why they need a new one.

Sure adults will buy it, especially since I am pretty sure a new 3D Mario and Metroid prime 4 will be launch titles, but for parents who are not so familiar with games will have trouble to understand it.

also, did your parents ever upgrade your console? most parents grew up around video games at this point they probably know hardware gets replaced eventually
plus 7 years have passed since the switch, new kids continue to be born and grow up,

Fake

You vastly underestimate the ability of children to very successfully harass their parents until they give in. Trust me, many parents will buy their kids the next generation Switch.

Problem is, kids don't care much about specifications.

They just want Nintendo Switch. Either the OLED, basic or LITE.

If I would guess, the Switch PRO will be more like a premium product and will be target for the already owers of OLED, pretty much like the PS4 pro.

I do agree that kids do those kind of things, but I don't believe they either understand or either have interess in hardware bump as much as adults.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The legend of Zelda would be really rad

but I'm hoping for some Crusin' 2 goodness at launch

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Launch Switch 2 with Mario Kart 9, alongside bundles for the holidays, and watch it fly off the shelves.
That is the bundle! Mario Kart9 for holiday bundle is crazy sales.

They don’t need a bundle for official release as it will sell out. Mario 9 at launch for 59.99 will also sell out so why give it in a bundle now?

I don’t think a Wii U-level catastrophe will ever happen again with Nintendo, because they learned that lesson hard. But if they’re gonna make that many for the launch window, that’s a huge number. They better have some freakin’ amazing software. Cuz there’s no new open-world genre-defining Zelda coming that’s gonna drive it this time.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

Next Mario Kart should be launch window as well.

And I'd be lying if I said I'm not expecting heavy third-party support from day 1 this time around: Assassin's Creed Codename Red, Star Wars Outlaws, Call of Duty: Black Ops Gulf War, Cyberpunk 2077 Complete Edition, Dragon's Dogma 2 and who the hell knows if even a Starfield complete edition.

New Mario Kart definitely seems like a possible launch candidate given technically a "new" Mario Kart game hasn't come out in nearly 10 years....

But I think people really need to temper expectations on 3rd party AAA support. COD will be there because MS is contractually obligated but I am definitely not expecting strong AAA support.

I think it's going to be quite similar to Switch where you basically have occasionally ports of prior gen games (PS4). Not that is a bad thing.

They won’t launch with Bayonetta trilogy. They would likely launch that in a quiet month later in the first 14 months or so. So it could enjoy larger sales.

Nintendo will typically launches 3-4 first party games in the first four or five months.

My best guess For the first 4 or 5 months.

1st party:

1.) Something Casual: (Wii) Wii Sports, (3ds) Nintendogs + Cats, (Wii U) NintendoLand, (Switch) 1, 2 Switch, etc.

2.) 3d Mario or 3d DK. I listened to a Kit and Krysta Podcast and Kit thinks the next Mario is a 3d World style game with playable Mario And DK characters. This tracks in my mind.

3.) Something “core”. Metroid Prime 4

4.) Something “wow”. Smash Melee HD remake -or- a HD remake of Pokemon Scarlet and Violet.

3rd Party: Sports titles, COD, Cyberpunk or FFVIIR, Persona 3 R, DQIII-R, and the obligatory new Tetris cash in game.

Skyrim moment is either: FFVIIR, Halo 1-3 or Mass Effect Trilogy. (I need to see EA support before i can believe).

my wildcard prediction: A NEW Tecmo Bowl. After seeing the success of RetroBowl, and Legend Bowl, Nintendo and Tecmo agree on a new Tecmo Bowl.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Problem is, kids don't care much about specifications.

They just want Nintendo Switch. Either the OLED, basic or LITE.

If I would guess, the Switch PRO will be more like a premium product and will be target for the already owers of OLED, pretty much like the PS4 pro.

I do agree that kids do those kind of things, but I don't believe they either understand or either have interess in hardware bump as much as adults.

A cross gen period will exist much like Sony with PS4/5. Eventually though, Nintendo will stop releasing their new games on Switch 1. Perhaps rather quickly to push sales of their new system.

Fake

A cross gen period will exist much like Sony with PS4/5. Eventually though, Nintendo will stop releasing their new games on Switch 1. Perhaps rather quickly to push sales of their new system.

Maybe, just maybe. When the PRO got cheap and target for Christmas, thats the only viable case I can see kids asking for a new NS.

They don't complain much about graphics as we do. Remember, those kids spend a great amount of time playing smartphone games.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

My Switch is now 90% dock played so no OLED screen is okay. I do hope there is a trade off though. Don’t remove a feature and give me nothing in return.

StereoVsn

If it's backwards compatible, Day 1 if I can get one.
Yep, that’s going to be critical decision point for me as well. If they do full BC on digital and physical and maybe even add boost to games with unlocked frame rates and dynamic res, it would be a no brainer.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I don't know how accurate this report is, but not having OLED at launch would be a total "Nintendo" thing to do to force a double-dip and boost sales.

Zannegan

Scalpers will ensure they are rare.
This is why I'm hoping against hope that they'll create some sort of direct-buy queue via their Online subscription.

I get that stores are their priority, but setting a single digit percentage of production aside for those who are subscribing would incentivise further subscriptions and create a certain amount of goodwill.

Either offer by first sub date or make it a random drawing. They could even be evil about it and make it so all the plus tier subscribers get first shot. As long as it's possible to get it through legitimate channels in a reasonable amoumt of time, I'm good.

GoldenEye98

I honestly think Nintendo revels a bit in scarcity for their products. They like creating limited editions and underproduce certain hardware and games. They'd probably love nothing more than a Switch 2 to be "hard to get".

MagnesD3

They won’t launch with Bayonetta trilogy. They would likely launch that in a quiet month later in the first 14 months or so. So it could enjoy larger sales.

Nintendo will typically launches 3-4 first party games in the first four or five months.

My best guess For the first 4 or 5 months.

1st party:

1.) Something Casual: (Wii) Wii Sports, (3ds) Nintendogs + Cats, (Wii U) NintendoLand, (Switch) 1, 2 Switch, etc.

2.) 3d Mario or 3d DK. I listened to a Kit and Krysta Podcast and Kit thinks the next Mario is a 3d World style game with playable Mario And DK characters. This tracks in my mind.

3.) Something “core”. Metroid Prime 4

4.) Something “wow”. Smash Melee HD remake -or- a HD remake of Pokemon Scarlet and Violet.

3rd Party: Sports titles, COD, Cyberpunk or FFVIIR, Persona 3 R, DQIII-R, and the obligatory new Tetris cash in game.

Skyrim moment is either: FFVIIR, Halo 1-3 or Mass Effect Trilogy. (I need to see EA support before i can believe).

my wildcard prediction: A NEW Tecmo Bowl. After seeing the success of RetroBowl, and Legend Bowl, Nintendo and Tecmo agree on a new Tecmo Bowl.
I would be so fucking pissed if the next 3d mario is another 2d mario... it needs to be Mario Open World or Odessey 2 or Galaxy 3 even.

Last edited:

Zannegan

I don’t think a Wii U-level catastrophe will ever happen again with Nintendo, because they learned that lesson hard. But if they’re gonna make that many for the launch window, that’s a huge number. They better have some freakin’ amazing software. Cuz there’s no new open-world genre-defining Zelda coming that’s gonna drive it this time.
Metroid for the core, Mario Kart for the everyone? It's not all-in-one, but that wouldn't be a bad one-two punch.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I would be so fucking pissed if the next 3d mario is another 2d mario... it needs to be Mario Open World or Odessey 2 or Galaxy 3 even.
I believe hope it's gonna be like Bowser's Story, fully open world Mario. Bowser's story felt like a blue print, it'll also be interesting how they handle a story, will there be a Toad town, castle town. It can be totally different than any other open world game, but mostly fetch quests and boss fights.

Last edited:
Metroid for the core, Mario Kart for the everyone? It's not all-in-one, but that wouldn't be a bad one-two punch.
That would be great for launch day. I do feel like Mario Kart 8 was so big but so many of the players were on the more casual-side. Is it gonna be a situation like with Wii where most customers didn’t understand why they needed to buy a sequel to Wii Sports? If there’s any of that going on, Mario Kart is due for a bit if a correction next time, with more down-to-earth numbers.

Metroid Prime 4 cross-gen day one like BotW was for Wii U/Switch would be an amazing launch title. I do think Metroid is poised to grow and finally cross that 5 million ceiling and get bigger as an IP.

I think for Nintendo, the ideal launch title that everyone/anyone will buy is the next big 3D Mario.

Last edited:
I believe hope it's gonna be like Bowser's Story, fully open world Mario. Bowser's story felt like a blue print, it'll also be interesting how they handle a story, will there be a Toad town, castle town. It can be totally different than any other open world game, but mostly fetch quests and boss fights.
You mean Bowser’s Fury?

I like that approach. I’d also like Luigi to play a more prominent role.

kiphalfton

This OLED moaning is a bit much.
I don't understand how lack of OLED is "killing the hype" for this thing. When I upgraded from the OG Switch to the OLED version that was nice, but it didn't make a huge difference in the actual enjoyment of the games. When this thing launches with some (hopefully)killer games, those games will not be that different because of the screen not being OLED.
It's strange how people are fine with Nintendo hardware struggling to get 30fps, but as long as the colours pop a bit more, all is fine..

And don't people use this with a TV most of the time anyways?
I could't imagine playing a game like Metroid Prime in handheld mode.

And when the upgraded version comes along in a few years, just sell your machine And upgrade when the better one is out there.

Glad to see that the machine will hopefully be easily available at launch. Really looking forward to new Nintendo hardware! Especially if Prime 4 is an actual launch title (one can only hope)

Exactly, YOU don't understand.

OuterLimits

I think at this point they should have at least have the option for OLED just like Switch does now. But yeah......that is a prime manuever to get people to double dip.

True, but realistically they have to find ways to keep costs down especially in this inflationary economic reality after Covid. If they did OLED, they would have to cut cost elsewhere and people would complain about that. Unless they want to charge $500 or $550 for the system which would be idiotic.

The PS Portal doesn't have a OLED but people seem to like it. As long as the screen isn't Steam Deck Version 1 quality, I won't have too many complaints I guess

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
True, but realistically they have to find ways to keep costs down especially in this inflationary economic reality after Covid. If they did OLED, they would have to cut cost elsewhere and people would complain about that. Unless they want to charge $500 or $550 for the system which would be idiotic.

The PS Portal doesn't have a OLED but people seem to like it. As long as the screen isn't Steam Deck Version 1 quality, I won't have too many complaints I guess

Sure.....that's why I think they should have an OLED option alongside the LCD. I could see a $100 upcharge personally. If folks want it bad enough then they will pay for it. But I get your point. The price point is going to dictate a lot of this.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
New Mario Kart definitely seems like a possible launch candidate given technically a "new" Mario Kart game hasn't come out in nearly 10 years....

But I think people really need to temper expectations on 3rd party AAA support. COD will be there because MS is contractually obligated but I am definitely not expecting strong AAA support.

I think it's going to be quite similar to Switch where you basically have occasionally ports of prior gen games (PS4). Not that is a bad thing.
I think you’re wrong on switch 2. Many people didn’t support switch out the gate and regretted it. EA specifically! I’d imagine if the switch two is closer in terms of hardware to current Xbox and ps5 stuff that we will see a ton of releases in the first 12 months.

I think you’re wrong on switch 2. Many people didn’t support switch out the gate and regretted it. EA specifically! I’d imagine if the switch two is closer in terms of hardware to current Xbox and ps5 stuff that we will see a ton of releases in the first 12 months.
I think a lot of people will be very disappointed if they expect this to be remotely close. The Steam Deck LCD is a few miles ahead of the current Switch and the PS5/Xbox Series X are a few miles ahead of the Steam Deck already.

Type_Raver

I totally expect a better UI, and a Nintendo network for inline I def think online + portable will be their focus. Specs a little under ps4 pro , making it capable of running ps4 games on the go spec wise maybe higher since it’s probably going to push for 720-900p in portable and 1440p-2160p docked. So games ported from series S would probably be a thing.
Not sure it your talking in general terms of the consoles docked output, or in native resolution.

Let me ask you this, in docked mode would you prefer:

A) either 1440p/4k 30fps native
B) native 1080p 60fps upscaled to 4K (equivelent to nvidias "Performance DLSS")

I think option B would offer better utilisation of resources and overall better baseline of GPU feature usage; negligible hit on 4K IQ compared to native but improved response due to 60fps.

Thoughts?

Top Bottom