• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q2 FY23/24 Earnings Report: Hardware 2.93M LTD 132.46M. Pikmin 4 at 2.61M

Nintendo's earnings report for the 2nd quarter of the fiscal year ending March 31st 2024 has been published, this covers the three month period from July 1st to September 30th 2023. Nintendo shipped 2.93 million units of Switch hardware and 44.88 million units of Switch software bringing lifetime totals to 132.46 million for hardware and 1133.23 million for software.

Year over year quarter 2 hardware sales are 9.85% (0.32 million) down from 3.25 million and software sales are 16.89% (9.12 million) down from 54.00 million.

Two titles sold over 1 million units this quarter, these were new release Pikmin 4 (2.61 million) plus evergreen juggernaut Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (1.55 million).

Nintendo maintain their shipment forecast of 15 million units of hardware but have increased their software shipment forecast from 180 million units to 185 million units for the fiscal year ending March 31st 2024.

ilK8SZ0.png

Hardware

Switch Hardware Q2:
2.93m
Regional Split Q2: Japan 980k, America's 850k, Europe 630k, Other 480k
Model Variants Q2: Standard 600k, Lite 470k, Oled 1.86m

Switch Hardware Total: 132.46m
Regional Split Total: Japan 31.77m, America's 51.03m, Europe 34.15m, Other 15.51m
Model Variants Total: Standard 90.83m, Lite 21.92m, Oled 19.71m

Global Shipment History

gL8Rjyr.png

Software

Switch Software Q2:
44.88m
Regional Split Q2: Japan 8.35m, America's 19.41m, Europe 13.65m, Other 3.46m
Tie Ratio Q2: 15.32

Switch Software Total: 1133.23m
Regional Split Total: Japan 217.52m, America's 498.39m, Europe 327.88m, Other 89.43m
Tie Ratio Total: 8.56

Global Shipment History

Ec7vEmK.png

Nintendo reports sales data for software charting in the top 10 or that has sold one million or more units within the current fiscal year (from 1 April 2023).

Software Top 10

Total sales followed by sales added to the total in Q2

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 57.01m (1.55m)
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons: 43.38m (590k)
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate: 32.44m (670k)
  • Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild: 31.15m (500k)
  • Super Mario Odyssey: 26.95m (510k)
  • Pokémon Sword/Shield: 26.02m (100k)
  • Pokémon Scarlet/Violet: 23.23m (570k)
  • Super Mario Party: 19.66m (270k)
  • Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom: 19.50m (990k)
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe: 16.70m (530k)

New Release + Others

• Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury: 12.58m (460k)
  • Mario Party Superstars: 11.44m (460k)
  • Nintendo Switch Sports: 10.77m (580k)
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land: 6.96m (500k) Q1+Q2
  • Pikmin 4: 2.61m New

Million Sellers not updated this Quarter (1st party published)

• Ring Fit Adventure: 15.38m
  • Pokémon Let's Go: 15.07m
  • Pokémon BD/SP: 15.06m
  • Pokémon Legends Arceus: 15.00m
  • Splatoon 2: 13.60m
  • Luigi's Mansion 3: 12.82m
  • Splatoon 3: 11.02m
  • Super Mario 3D All-Stars: 9.07m
  • Super Mario Maker 2: 8.42m
  • Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening: 6.63m
  • Clubhouse Games: 4.64m
  • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze: 4.62m
  • Mario Tennis Aces: 4.50m
  • Kirby Star Allies: 4.38m
  • Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword HD: 4.15m
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses: 4.12m
  • Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity: 4.00m
  • 1-2 Switch: 3.74m
  • Paper Mario Origami King: 3.47m
  • Yoshi's Crafted World: 3.35m
  • Metroid Dread: 3.07m
  • New Pokémon Snap!: 2.74m
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2: 2.74m
  • Arms: 2.72m
  • Mario Strikers Battle League: 2.63m
  • Mario Golf Super Rush: 2.48m
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe: 2.40m
  • Captain Toad Treasure Tracker: 2.35m
  • Octopath Traveller: 2.08m
  • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: 2.00m
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon DX: 1.99m
  • Big Brain Academy Brain vs Brain: 1.94m
  • Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition: 1.91m
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3: 1.91m
  • Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe: 1.82m
  • Miitopia: 1.79m
  • Mario Kart Live Home Circuit: 1.73m
  • Fire Emblem Engage: 1.68m
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: 1.60m
  • Pokkén Tournament DX: 1.54m
  • Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01 Variety Kit: 1.42m
  • Metroid Prime Remastered: 1.36m
  • Wario Ware Get it Together!: 1.34m
  • Astral Chain: 1.33m
  • Dr Kawashima's Brain training: 1.27m
  • Bayonetta: 1.24m
  • Bayonetta 2: 1.23m
  • Game Builder Garage: 1.15m
  • Bayonetta 3: 1.09m
  • Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes: 1.00m

Nintendo Switch sold-in numbers compared to other high selling platforms with substantial quarterly hardware data up to FY10

Sv3RxFP.png

Last edited:
Both hardware and software were higher than i expected. Pikmin 4 was a bit short though, it was heavily Japan-centric for it's sales. I was expecting Japan to account for 40% of Pikmin 4's sales but it was 52% (1.36m / 2.61m).

7gUtRtp.jpg

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Steam deck with no retail presence, no exlusive games, and zero advertising, that's not the case. Valve has sold like 2.5 - 3 million units total in year and a half. We are talking no more than 5 million with all pc handhelds combined over 2 years.
It's still not just a handheld...however much you may wish otherwise.

would love to see it surpass PS2!
If that happens, the "it's just a handheld" brigade will be out in force with a Fury rarely witnessed.

And on the handheld form factor, there's plenty of handheld competition from mobile games. More choice with more convenience than the DS ever faced.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Amazing rebound.
8K4Bpgu.jpg

Portable vs not portable.
It's still not just a handheld...however much you may wish otherwise.

If that happens, the "it's just a handheld" brigade will be out in force with a Fury rarely witnessed.

And on the handheld form factor, there's plenty of handheld competition from mobile games. More choice with more convenience than the DS ever faced.

It's still not just a console either if you want to play that card. And you also completely ignoring that a decent portion of switch sales are switch light, which is portable only.

As to mobile games, yes that's huge, but the market has expanded overall massively. The gaming market is 3x the size it was 10 years ago.

There's no doubt it's a smart machine with good software, but denying why it was as successful as if is wasn't due to its handheld nature is .......just wrong.

Go right back to the switch being sold only as a home console, what does it sell, 15 million total units? Embrace the combination, no need to live in denial.
It's not "just a handheld", it's a well executed machine in a market with zero direct hybrid console competition.

Last edited:

Emedan

Awesome numbers, but with the release of the next Nintendo console I doubt it will go over 150 million. 140 million seems a safe bet. Unless they keep a model going and give it a massive price drop.
I mean the PS2 reached 155 million due to being sold for so long in developing markets even after the release of the PS3. If I recall it wasn't discontinued until the release of the PS4.

Banger numbers for the switch anyway.

Last edited:

Zathalus

I mean the PS2 reached 155 million due to being sold for so long in developing markets even after the release of the PS3. If I recall it wasn't discontinued until the release of the PS4.

Banger numbers for the switch anyway.
Yep, so Nintendo can reach those numbers if they maybe keep the Switch Lite going for a few years and give it a massive price cut. But not sure if that would be worth it for them.

Mowcno

So for the first 2 quarters combined hardware is up 2%.

But per the forecast they are expecting hardware to be down 28% in the last 2 quarters.

Seems they have very little confidence in their holiday sales potential this year.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Without their recent games on subscription plans, without porting one single game to PC and without plaguing their games with cinematics. How do they do this? Just doing old school games focused on gameplay and fun like they were done in the past? How dare they?
I'm playing Wonder, kinda done mostly, and even the little speech bubbles are annoying me. Just get to the game plz.

Arcadialane

Without their recent games on subscription plans, without porting one single game to PC and without plaguing their games with cinematics. How do they do this? Just doing old school games focused on gameplay and fun like they were done in the past? How dare they?

Annd without a single bit of of their games being woke/full of diversity propaganda too. Thank god for Nintendo

Dodo123

Yes, some people will always complain, but we can also say that PS2 had multiple price drops, many consumers were buying it as a DVD player, Sony was pushing it for pennies in emerging markets etc. etc.

yurinka

I think it's normal to get a HW and SW decline because Switch is in the sunseting stage of its lifecycle. It also would have happened in Q1 if it wasn't because of the super success of Zelda TotK.

Which btw surprises me to see it didn't sell over 1M this quarter. Seems that unlike other Nintendo top selling games it won't have a long tail with great sales.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
There's no doubt it's a smart machine with good software, but denying why it was as successful as if is wasn't due to its handheld hybrid nature is .......just wrong.
There corrected that for you...
The funniest thing about the "it's a handheld" crowd is their inability to grasp that it's the SWITCH between home console and handheld that makes the USP. (See what I did there?)

many consumers were buying it as a DVD player,

How many Nintendo or MS fans angry at the PS2's success kept claiming "it's just a DVD player " I wonder?

daclynk

No need for next Gen system right now. Keep bringing games(reboot death IPs and Port unsuccessful beloved games from 6&7 gen with new coat in 2024 and lunch NG Nintendo system with big AAA games in 2025 like 2017 and BAM!! you have a winner.Nintendo keep making games and make those profits.

Last edited:
So for the first 2 quarters combined hardware is up 2%.

But per the forecast they are expecting hardware to be down 28% in the last 2 quarters.

Seems they have very little confidence in their holiday sales potential this year.
Nintendo are very conservative, 15 million hardware and 185 million software is lowballing. I think 16.5 million hardware and 205 million software is more realistic.

Top Bottom