• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch has sold 33.34 Million units in Japan, making it the best-selling system ever in Japan

daclynk

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2024/240206e.pdf

Page 9

Literally, a couple of days ago, I posted this thread saying the Switch is the third best-selling system in Japan, just behind DS and Game Boy, but it looks like the numbers weren't fully updated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles_by_region https://www.installbaseforum.com/forums/threads/media-create-sales-week-4-2024-jan-22-jan-28.2362/ Top 3 systems in Japan. 1. DS - 32,990,000 2. GB/GBC - 32,470,000 3. Nintendo Switch - 32.027.938 It's crazy how much...

Top 3 systems in Japan.

1. Nintendo Switch - 33.34 Million
2. DS - 32,990,000
3. GB/GBC - 32,470,000

A few milestones:
- Switch software sales in Japan have surpassed that of the Famicom and now holds the record for the biggest software sales ever in Japan.

Post from Resetera.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Nintendo_land.jpg

Very cool, prior to the Switch I never thought they’d outdo the DS. Crazy performance.
Almost as much as N64 world wide or is it more.
More, compared to past systems it’s above N64 (32.93M), GC (21.74) and WiiU (13.56M) lifetime numbers.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I wonder what's the physical media percent per game for the Switch is in Japan.

Killjoy-NL

They don’t mean with sales. They mean graphically. There are multiple publishers releasing games on XSX/PS5 that have no choice but to either skip the Switch or be offered as Streaming.

This is why many consider Nintendo to be on their own track.
Yeah, I know.

It's still ignorant though. Nintendo is healthy and successful, which is good.

I've said it in another thread, competition will soon be all about innovation.

Yeah, I know.

It's still ignorant though. Nintendo is healthy and successful, which is good.

I've said it in another thread, competition will soon be all about innovation.
Once graphics finally, finally hit a reasonable plateau one day to where PS and Nintendo are completely equal, I can see innovation taking the wheel at that point.

For others reading this: I don’t mean graphics hitting a peak, but just a point to where the graphical and performance differences in platform is nearly indistinguishable whether they be mobile or home console. It’s coming one day and I’m sure the console makers have their plans in place for this change.

4k, Ray tracing, etc. all collectively set us back again. It’s reasonable growing pains for progress. Tech like DLSS helps provide a reasonably strong band-aid/boost.

Killjoy-NL

Once graphics finally, finally hit a reasonable plateau one day to where PS and Nintendo are completely equal, I can see innovation taking the wheel at that point.

For others reading this: I don’t mean graphics hitting a peak, but just a point to where the graphical and performance differences in platform is nearly indistinguishable whether they be mobile or home console. It’s coming one day and I’m sure the console makers have their plans in place for this change.

4k, Ray tracing, etc. all collectively set us back again. It’s reasonable growing pains for progress. Tech like DLSS helps provide a reasonably strong band-aid/boost.
Yeah, fair point.

But that's where the diminishing returns come into play.
Since people are already talking about not that big of a jump in graphics this gen, we might already be reaching that point with Switch 2 and innovation being key might happen much sooner than some expect.

Yeah, fair point.

But that's where the diminishing returns come into play.
Since people are already talking about not that big of a jump in graphics this gen, we might already be reaching that point with Switch 2 and innovation being key might happen much sooner than some expect.
I’m not sure about this. Right now on consoles most games look like supercharged PS4/XBO games, but that’s because they are also making huge sacrifices in many areas including textures just for a little raytracing and 4k.

I think the next leap in graphics will occur when we are having more moments like that GTA A.I. video or that Unrecord trailer, but on a regular basis. Moments where people truly cannot tell if what they are looking at is real or not.

Right now it still feels like only very, very few games can reach a bar that comes close to only ‘CGI-like’ after thousands of hours of manpower are poured in. When the rest of the industry’s average games(especially Japanese games) look like Cyberpunk RTX-extreme or whatever it’s called, then that will be the moment where the collective leap happened.

Gamers are currently experiencing a Crysis-moment but this time around they are blind to it happening.

I have already accepted that the PS5/XSX gen is being treated like a graphical half-step thanks to 4k and ray tracing. It feels like others here will fight this notion to the end, but ultimately people will look back and realize it’s true.

Jakk

Both machines are close systems and both are connected to my tv and i use both to play video games… Can’t be more direct competition that… 😂😂
How is that relevant? Switch and PS/Xbox have completely different hardware in terms of computing power and thus different games. Almost none current-gen multiplatform games are playable on Switch. Also obviously Switch is a hybrid handheld.

I mean sure, they do compete in the sense that they are both selling entertainment systems, but they are so different that I wouldn't call this a direct competition.

How is that relevant? Switch and PS/Xbox have completely different hardware in terms of computing power and thus different games. Almost none current-gen multiplatform games are playable on Switch. Also obviously Switch is a hybrid handheld.

I mean sure, they do compete in the sense that they are both selling entertainment systems, but they are so different that I wouldn't call this a direct competition.
So according to you… Third party games is what determines if consoles are competitions? And the Wii was not a competition for the PS3/360?

Woopah

Would you consider the Wii U a direct competitor to the PS4? How about GameCube to PS2?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
No surprise. Nintendo combined both their markets (home console and handheld) into one. Assuming Nintendo would still have a dedicated home console and handheld neither would have these numbers.

daclynk

No surprise. Nintendo combined both their markets (home console and handheld) into one. Assuming Nintendo would still have a dedicated home console and handheld neither would have these numbers.
And Sony has 3 devices on the Market,
PS5
PSVR2
PS Portal. Shouldn't they be selling more?

Jakk

So according to you… Third party games is what determines if consoles are competitions? And the Wii was not a competition for the PS3/360?
According to me, multiple factors I mentioned in my previous post determine that Switch is not a direct competitor for current/previous gen PS/XBOX. Not sure why you picked only the one. And yeah, just like Switch, Wii wasn't a direct competitor for PS3/360. Again, emphasis on the word direct. It mainly targeted more casual audience, had weaker hardware, but instead it relied on the then revolutionary Wii Remote.
Would you consider the Wii U a direct competitor to the PS4? How about GameCube to PS2?
Wii U, not really. As for GameCube, I think it's the last "traditional" console Nintendo has made and yeah, I would say it was in direct competition with PS2 and original Xbox.

Honestly, it feels like some people here think that saying Nintendo doesn't directly compete means Nintendo is worse or something, but they are completely missing the point. The fact that Switch doesn't directly compete with PS/Xbox doesn't mean it's less successful.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Both machines are closed systems and both are connected to my tv and i use both to play video games… Can’t be more direct competition than that… 😂😂
The software library and the type of console says differently. If they were direct they'd share all the main 3rd party releases but they don't.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
According to me, multiple factors I mentioned in my previous post determine that Switch is not a direct competitor for current/previous gen PS/XBOX. Not sure why you picked only the one. And yeah, just like Switch, Wii wasn't a direct competitor for PS3/360. Again, emphasis on the word direct. It mainly targeted more casual audience, had weaker hardware, but instead it relied on the then revolutionary Wii Remote.

Wii U, not really. As for GameCube, I think it's the last "traditional" console Nintendo has made and yeah, I would say it was in direct competition with PS2 and original Xbox.

Honestly, it feels like some people here think that saying Nintendo doesn't directly compete means Nintendo is worse or something, but they are completely missing the point. The fact that Switch doesn't directly compete with PS/Xbox doesn't mean it's less successful.
They're both videogame consoles. Therefore compete directly. Split hairs all you want.

The software library and the type of console says differently. If they were direct they'd share all the main 3rd party releases but they don't.
Mental gymnastics at it best 😂😂 Still direct competitor 🤷‍♂️

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Honestly it feels like some people feel better about PlayStation sales if they discredit Nintendo sales by claiming they are not a direct competitor.

Jakk

They're both videogame consoles. Therefore compete directly. Split hairs all you want.
It's completely obvious Nintendo has been doing their own thing instead of directly competing with PS/Xbox ever since the Wii and if you can't see it, you must be blind.
Mental gymnastics at it best 😂😂 Still direct competitor 🤷‍♂️
"Mental gymnastics" - says the one absolutely incapable of providing any arguments whatsoever, just laughing in every post. Okay.
Honestly it feels like some people feel better about PlayStation sales if they discredit Nintendo sales by claiming they are not a direct competitor.
How does pointing out the obvious differences in approach discredit Nintendo sales? You can't be serious, what a ridiculous thing to say.

Resenge

Yea, ole Jim Ryan is such a keyboard warrior.

Jim Ryan claims Nintendo isn’t a direct competitor to PlayStation and fans aren’t into Call of Duty

Of course they are in the same business but Nintendo are famous for not following trends and doing their own thing which is working great. The last console that IMO was a direct competitor to Sony/MS was the Gamecube.

Legally they are a direct competitor.

But I would get a switch anyway due to the exclusives, It's not as black and white when it comes to Xbox/Playstation.

Last edited:

daclynk

Yea, ole Jim Ryan is such a keyboard warrior.

Jim Ryan claims Nintendo isn’t a direct competitor to PlayStation and fans aren’t into Call of Duty

Of course they are in the same business but Nintendo are famous for not following trends and doing their own thing which is working great. The last console that IMO was a direct competitor to Sony/MS was the Gamecube.
So that means
1. Nintendo is not in competition with anyone anymore but now they are(SteamDeck, PC handhelds)
2.Sony is not in competition with anyone anymore.
3. Xbox is in competition with Amazon, Google and Apple(Cloud) based on what Phil said..

Last edited:

Resenge

So that means
1. Nintendo is not in competition with anyone anymore but now there is(steam, PC handheld coming out)
2.Sony is not in competition with anyone anymore.
3. Xbox is in competition with Amazon, Google and Apple based on what Phil said right.
If you say so.

"Mental gymnastics" - says the one absolutely incapable of providing any arguments whatsoever, just laughing in every post. Okay.
And your only argument is the power of the console…. . If i start pointing what make the Switch and the PS5 competitors, you are going to start moving the goalpost. But is perfectly understandable why everyone is avoiding to be compared directly with the switch.

Resenge

im only answering base on what you said and also on current event Right?
I'm not rising to your bait mate also I'm not here to argue with you. I did a 2 second google, gave my opinion and showed that. If that is not enough for you, that's tough luck.

Last edited:
Game Boy is not Game Gear's competition confirmed
I remember went the Steamdeck was announced as the Switch Killer, at that time they were direct competitor for a lot of people (conveniently) time passed and the Switch continued dominating the market, and now for the same people they are not competing 🤷‍♂️. Same happens here.

Jakk

And your only argument is the power of the console…. . If i start pointing what make the Switch and the PS5 competitors, you are going to start moving the goalpost. But is perfectly understandable why everyone is avoiding to be compared directly with the switch.
I have written multiple factors why I don't consider Switch a direct competitor to PS/Xbox, and now for a second time, you have picked just one one and you act like it's my only argument. And then you refuse to provide any arguments because of some scenario you made up in your head. You were saying something about mental gymnastics? I guess you have experience.

This forum is just bizarre, when I discuss with PS fanatics, I'm suddenly an Xbox fanboy and when I discuss with Nintendo fanatics, I'm somehow trying to discredit Nintendo to feel better about PS. I'll never understand how can presumably adult people act like this over a console.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
It's completely obvious Nintendo has been doing their own thing instead of directly competing with PS/Xbox ever since the Wii and if you can't see it, you must be blind.

How does pointing out the obvious differences in approach discredit Nintendo sales? You can't be serious, what a ridiculous thing to say.
You're the one trying to discredit Nintendo sales by claiming they're not direct competitors. Whatever helps you cope man.

Top Bottom