• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix announces its Resident Evil series cast. Guess what?

FunkMiller

No.

In terms of race bending a historical character, or applying colour blind casting, it really does depend on the historical figure in question.

The race of Obama, Mandela and MLK are important aspects of their characters. Having a white actor play them would be racist. It's actually racist to even suggest such casting options.

Anne Boleyn was a queen of England, but her race wasn't an important aspect of her character. In fact, there were a few black people in Europe at the time, so it wouldn't be absolutely crazy for Anne Boleyn to be black.

Do you understand?

This is a double standard.

It might not be a double standard you’re bothered about, because you’re happy to see more people of colour getting high profile roles (which is more or less where I am on this), but it remains a double standard.

At least just have the courage to admit that.

Furlong

Banned
Tom Hanks is a fantastic actor that could play a better Mandela than the real Mandela could. The real Mandela could never get the accent quite right and always spoke as if he had a head cold, which obviously wouldn't be a problem for an actor with Tom Hank's talent.

Lanrutcon

Yeah, this is going to crash and burn. Who exactly is the target audience here?

No.

In terms of race bending a historical character, or applying colour blind casting, it really does depend on the historical figure in question.

The race of Obama, Mandela and MLK are important aspects of their characters. Having a white actor play them would be racist. It's actually racist to even suggest such casting options.

Anne Boleyn was a queen of England, but her race wasn't an important aspect of her character. In fact, there were a few black people in Europe at the time, so it wouldn't be absolutely crazy for Anne Boleyn to be black.

Do you understand?

And the kicker is: at no point during typing that post did you even pause to realise how absolutely, mindbogglingly batshit you sound.

U wot m8?

This is like casting a white actress to play the role of Queen Nandi.
Imagine the twitter outrage about Angeline Jolie appropriating and whitewashing Zulu culture!

Personally I wouldn't care if it weren't for the fact that "black culture" is declared sacrosanct and taboo for white people, while western history can be ransacked and desecrated at will.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
No.

Do you understand?

What?

You are seriously trying to bend all fathomable logic and reason to justify your bias. Either you have no grasp of history or your understanding is selective and entirely born of ideological nonesense that you've been fed. Worse, you've managed to reduce the historical importance and value of people down to little more than ethnicity, not only displaying a staggering ignorance of Anne Boleyn but also reducing Mandela and MLK to being significant only because they were black.

Let's try something - can you name a historical figure that was black who could be played by a non-black person?

you’re happy to see more people of colour getting high profile roles (which is more or less where I am on this)
This sounds to me like you'd hire a black person for a role just because they're black and you want more black people in high profile roles rather than just being the best for the role. This sounds a little bit racist mate.

FunkMiller

This sounds to me like you'd hire a black person for a role just because they're black and you want more black people in high profile roles rather than just being the best for the role. This sounds a little bit racist mate.

Don’t be an asshat. I said I’m happy to see more black people getting high profile roles. If you’re not all that clever, stop trying to sound like you are.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
What?

You are seriously trying to bend all fathomable logic and reason to justify your bias. Either you have no grasp of history or your understanding is selective and entirely born of ideological nonesense that you've been fed. Worse, you've managed to reduce the historical importance and value of people down to little more than ethnicity, not only displaying a staggering ignorance of Anne Boleyn but also reducing Mandela and MLK to being significant only because they were black.

Let's try something - can you name a historical figure that was black who could be played by a non-black person?

No no no.

I didn't say they were significant just because of their skin colour, but their skin colour is an important aspect of their characters.

MLK was a leader in the American civil rights movement. Really think it would be tasteful for a white guy to play him?

Nelson Mandela was an anti-apartheid revolutionary. Think it would be okay to black up a white actor to play him?

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
No no no.

I didn't say they were significant just because of their skin colour, but their skin colour is an important aspect of their characters.

MLK was a leader in the American civil rights movement. Really think it would be tasteful for a white guy to play him?

Nelson Mandela was an anti-apartheid revolutionary. Think it would be okay to black up a white actor to play him?

You are defining their significance above notable historical figures of a different ethnicity by their skin colour alone. That is the distinguishing trait which you have used to define them. Not their actions and words, but their ethnicity and it is solely on the grounds that they are black that you are drawing line for their portrayal.

You further emphasize this where you claim Anne Boleyn *could* have been a black woman because there were some black people in europe at that time. Setting aside the staggering ignorance of history that this displays, we could turn your own logic upon your sacred cows and say that Mandela *could* be portrayed by a white actor because there were white people in South Africa at that time, or Obama *could* be portrayed by a white actor because he was born to a mother of European descent. Your logic at work right there. Really bad logic, but your logic nonetheless.

Your attitude is racist as hell, not because of the double standard you display towards white characters and historical figures, but because in doing so you reduce black historical figures to little more than their enthicity for the purpose of upholding that double standard.

And tellingly you avoided the question - can you name a historical figure that was black who could be played by a non-black person?

IDKFA

You are defining their significance above notable historical figures of a different ethnicity by their skin colour alone. That is the distinguishing trait which you have used to define them. Not their actions and words, but their ethnicity and it is solely on the grounds that they are black that you are drawing line for their portrayal.

You further emphasize this where you claim Anne Boleyn *could* have been a black woman because there were some black people in europe at that time. Setting aside the staggering ignorance of history that this displays, we could turn your own logic upon your sacred cows and say that Mandela *could* be portrayed by a white actor because there were white people in South Africa at that time, or Obama *could* be portrayed by a white actor because he was born to a mother of European descent. Your logic at work right there. Really bad logic, but your logic nonetheless.

Your attitude is racist as hell, not because of the double standard you display towards white characters and historical figures, but because in doing so you reduce black historical figures to little more than their enthicity for the purpose of upholding that double standard.

And tellingly you avoided the question - can you name a historical figure that was black who could be played by a non-black person?

You're racist if you really can't see the issue of a white actor playing MLK or Nelson Mandela. .

Their skin colour was an important aspect, because both of of them were fighting against racial injustice that was inflicted upon them by a white majority. And you think that it would be acceptable for a white actor to protray them? Please.

You're really clutching at straws to justify your bigoted views.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I don't know who Anne Boleyn us... I remember reading of a king or queen who was perhaps biracial... But I don't like casting a POC actor to play an historical white person. I wouldn't want that to happen the other way, either.

If the race is important to the story of the character like Black Panther or Black Lightning or Icon or Blue Marvel or even Val Zod or John Stewart ( like T'Challa is from a secretive African nation that hadn't had a white person in the secret city EVER ... Yes I know about the adopted son but he has never been king and hasn't been important to the story in years) leave it be.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
You're racist if you really can't see the issue of a white actor playing MLK or Nelson Mandela. .

Their skin colour was an important aspect, because both of of them were fighting against racial injustice that was inflicted upon them by a white majority. And you think that it would be acceptable for a white actor to protray them? Please.

You're really clutching at straws to justify your bigoted views.

Do you know why you're avoiding that question? Because you define black historical figures first and foremost not by their actions, words or deeds, but by their enthicity. You fixate on their enthicity above all else.

For the record, I'm absolutely against a white person portraying MLK or Nelson Mandela - the idea is absurd, just as it is absurd for a black person to be portraying a historically significant white figure like Anne Boleyn. You on the otherhand are trying to get high and mighty against other posters on grounds of racism and bigotry when you've inadvertently and repeatedly demonstrated this double standard and a clear fixation on race by reducing important figures down to little more than their skin colour.

Your outrage at the idea of a white actor playing MLK, Obama or Mandela springs only from your own logic being applied evenly. The very same logic you used to justify a black person portraying Anne Boleyn was applied in the same or an even closer context to the figures I mentioned. You defined the rules for that and provided the justification. Don't get pissy because you didn't like the result - try reflecting on how poor your justification was and how ugly the racist double standard that you're trying to wield truly is.

IDKFA

Do you know why you're avoiding that question? Because you define black historical figures first and foremost not by their actions, words or deeds, but by their enthicity. You fixate on their enthicity above all else.

For the record, I'm absolutely against a white person portraying MLK or Nelson Mandela - the idea is absurd, just as it is absurd for a black person to be portraying a historically significant white figure like Anne Boleyn. You on the otherhand are trying to get high and mighty against other posters on grounds of racism and bigotry when you've inadvertently and repeatedly demonstrated this double standard and a clear fixation on race by reducing important figures down to little more than their skin colour.

Your outrage at the idea of a white actor playing MLK, Obama or Mandela springs only from your own logic being applied evenly. The very same logic you used to justify a black person portraying Anne Boleyn was applied in the same or an even closer context to the figures I mentioned. You defined the rules for that and provided the justification. Don't get pissy because you didn't like the result - try reflecting on how poor your justification was and how ugly the racist double standard that you're trying to wield truly is.

Racist? You're the one who is crying that a fictional video game character is being played by a black actor.

You agree with me then that a white actor shouldn't play MLK or Mandela. You know the reason why. Yes, both men were black, but that's not why. It's because both of them are known for fighting against racial discrimination and injustice.

In terms of Anne Boleyn, did she fight against racial discrimination and injustice? Is she know for leading a civil rights movement? She was just a queen of England.

Did you also cry over the race bending changes in the Amazon adaptation of Invincible? Was that too much for you to handle as well?

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Racist? You're the one who is crying that a fictional video game character is being played by a black actor.

You agree with me then that a white actor shouldn't play MLK or Mandela. You know the reason why. Yes, both men were black, but that's not why. It's because both of them are known for fighting against racial discrimination and injustice.

In terms of Anne Boleyn, did she fight against racial discrimination and injustice? Is she know for leading a civil rights movement? She was just a queen of England.

Did you also cry over the race bending changes in the Amazon adaptation of Invincible? Was that too much for you to handle as well?

Where have I complained abou the race of a fictional videogame character being played by a black actor? I've taken issue with your ridiculous and ignorant statements on history and historical figures, but it seems you're projecting in order to hide form the point of your hypocrisy on that issue.

Your bolded comment is interesting and perhaps the most telling yet. You define the worth of a people/race not based upon their history or achievements, but instead only by their interaction with another race. What a terribly ignorant and self-servingly narrow view to take of a people. It would seem your understanding of history as well as the works and achievements of those you so misguidedly and incompetently attempt to champion is far poorer than most as I doubt any of those you're speaking of would take kindly to being viewed in such a narrow and condescending way. Hell, both MLK and Mandela spoke against it and your ilk (the ignorant who would see and judge them first and formost based upon the colour of their skin) but it seems you know little of their works and care only for being seen to be championing them.

You really should look up Anne Boleyn though. Clearly the concept of injustice and discimination are just meaningless buzzwords to you as I stuggle to see how you could seriously use them in that context when referring to a woman who lived and was executed under the circumstances that she was.

IDKFA

Where have I complained abou the race of a fictional videogame character being played by a black actor? I've taken issue with your ridiculous and ignorant statements on history and historical figures, but it seems you're projecting in order to hide form the point of your hypocrisy on that issue.

Your bolded comment is interesting and perhaps the most telling yet. You define the worth of a people/race not based upon their history or achievements, but instead only by their interaction with another race. What a terribly ignorant and self-servingly narrow view to take of a people. It would seem your understanding of history as well as the works and achievements of those you so misguidedly and incompetently attempt to champion is far poorer than most as I doubt any of those you're speaking of would take kindly to being viewed in such a narrow and condescending way. Hell, both MLK and Mandela spoke against it and your ilk (the ignorant who would see and judge them first and formost based upon the colour of their skin) but it seems you know little of their works and care only for being seen to be championing them.

You really should look up Anne Boleyn though. Clearly the concept of injustice and discimination are just meaningless buzzwords to you as I stuggle to see how you could seriously use them in that context when referring to a woman who lived and was executed under the circumstances that she was.

Please. Keep grasping at those straws and taking my comments out of context.

Did Anne Boleyn suffer and fight against racial injustice was my question. But of course, you already knew that.

My original point was this. Whenever a fictional character is race swapped, lots of bigots jump in with "Tom Hanks should play Nelson Mandela", without stopping to think how ridiculous that comparison is.

Going back to Anne Boleyn, do you know why a black actress was cast in the role? Because if not, all of the main cast would be white. It's the same reason we see a diverse cast in the recent Mary Queen of Scots. In fact, that film has a very diverse cast with major historical figures played by nonwhite actors.

Here is a quote by the director who explains why she cast nonwhite actors. Hopefully you can understand why all white cast films, even historical films, are problematic.

"So those are people of colour playing those who were historically not people of colour."

"That is very influenced by my theatre background, where that sort of thing is done. When I sat down with [the studio] early, before we got down to a lot of stuff, I said to them, ‘Just so you know, I’m not doing to direct an all-white period drama. That’s not something I’m going to do.’ And they were really hugely supportive of that."

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

Did Anne Boleyn suffer and fight against racial injustice was my question. But of course, you already knew that.

My original point was this. Whenever a fictional character is race swapped, lots of bigots jump in with "Tom Hanks should play Nelson Mandela", without stopping to think how ridiculous that comparison is.

Going back to Anne Boleyn, do you know why a black actress was cast in the role? Because if not, all of the main cast would be white. It's the same reason we see a diverse cast in the recent Mary Queen of Scots. In fact, that film has a very diverse cast with major historical figures played by nonwhite actors.

Here is a quote by the director who explains why she cast nonwhite actors. Hopefully you can understand why all white cast films, even historical films, are problematic.

"So those are people of colour playing those who were historically not people of colour."

"That is very influenced by my theatre background, where that sort of thing is done. When I sat down with [the studio] early, before we got down to a lot of stuff, I said to them, ‘Just so you know, I’m not doing to direct an all-white period drama. That’s not something I’m going to do.’ And they were really hugely supportive of that."
They aren't though? Who is saying that besides yourself? That quote isn't at all. In Theater you are more worried about performance. Not accuracy.

IDKFA

Edit.

This is getting close to going into political territory. I've removed my post. Hopefully you had time to read it before I remove it.

I'll stay out of this toxic thread from now on.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Edit.

This is getting close to going into political territory. I've removed my post. Hopefully you had time to read it before I remove it.

"All white casts are problematic" I've seen no one say this besides you. Why are they? Would you say the same for an all-Black cast?

dr_octagon

Banned
Edit.

you didn't even mention South African farmers, I'm keen to hear your thoughts.

to note, potatoes are actual real life and historic root vegetables (not fictional)

Konnor

Dude, you've made up so many arbitrary rules and exceptions to them to fit your narrative it almost looks like satire now. Just give up.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse

No grasping. You just keep making wild statements and trying desperately to avoid answering for them.

For example - you accused me of being upset about a videogame character, I asked you where and lo and behold you've avoided it. Why? because you lurched unthinkingly for an allegation, actually grasping for straws, and when called out on it here you are wriggling away.

Asking if a character fought against racial injustice is an absurd bar for defining the merit or historical relevance of a person. Not only are you trying to define the worth of a person based upon an incredibly narrow and ignorant scope of human history, you're again demonstrating that you view historical figures first and foremost on the colour of their skin. You have no point other than demonstrating that you're ignorant of history and more concerned with virtue signalling than understanding history or why it matters.

And why would it matter if the cast of a historical period drama set in a time where all people represented would have been white, were white? do you have the same problem if a show or movie depicting solely black historical events didn't contain white or asian (central or eastern) actors? No? why not? There's nothing problematic about it if it's portraying actual history. Your quote from the director doesn't support your argument - it just demonstrates that the director had an agenda and demonstrated a racist outlook on their work. Do you think it would have been right for a director to say they weren't willing to do an all black drama?

Let's get back to your wriggling. You define the worth of historical figures as those that fought against racial injustice. That being the case you should easily be able to answer the question - can you name a historical figure that was black who could be played by a non-black person?

Last edited:

99Luffy

Banned
That's not the point. You said they cast Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, changing his race. That was already done before he was cast. MCU leveraged off of that.
It is the point. A character was white, and is now black.
Unless your point is its ok if the comics do it, but not movies. Which would be an idiotic point.

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
I can respond to other ones.
But first. How do you feel about Samual L Jackson playing Nick Fury?
Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF

Edit: Samuel L Jackson (not Samual) btw

Last edited:
How ignorant. Obama is a real figure. Wesker is some cheesy fictional character from a video game.

I've only recently changed my views on the subject, but I think race bending traditionally white fictional characters into minority characters should happen more often.

If you look at a lot of popular fictional worlds (Resident Evil, Marvel, DC etc) a majority of the fictional characters are white. They lack diversity and therefore and representation. The best way of fixing it is race bending certain characters.

We could argue that perhaps they should create new characters of different races rather than race bending an established character, but we all now any new character would not be as popular as the established character who's been around for decades.

Another factor here is that Wesker is not defined by the colour of his skin, so it doesn't matter who plays him or if his character has been race swapped.
Why is it wrong to come in with some expectations that the casting resemble the source material? The whole fun of even watching a live-action adaptation of a video game or book series is to see what you remember reading or playing come to life on the big screen.

If it doesn't matter then I guess it also doesn't matter if the new Wolverine is black or if Peter Parker is Chinese in a new Spider-Man reboot because "better representation" is so important for these "cheesy fictional characters". There's nothing wrong with a fictional white character remaining white because that is what fans expect. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I did say that race bending historical figures could be problematic. Depends on who the figure is, but can you not see the issue of a white actor playing the role of the first black US President?
Maybe he’s playing Barry’s white half 🤭

It is the point. A character was white, and is now black.
Unless your point is its ok if the comics do it, but not movies. Which would be an idiotic point.

The point is that you called out an example when the other examples were specific to creating movies. Stop being a bitch. Your arguments are pathetic.

IDKFA

If it doesn't matter then I guess it also doesn't matter if the new Wolverine is black or if Peter Parker is Chinese in a new Spider-Man reboot because "better representation" is so important for these "cheesy fictional characters". There's nothing wrong with a fictional white character remaining white because that is what fans expect. Don't fix what isn't broken.

I'd gladly welcome a black Logan or Asian Peter Parker. Would you, or would it frighten you to learn that from now on these fictional characters will no longer have white skin.

Dacon

Banned
If you look at a lot of popular fictional worlds (Resident Evil, Marvel, DC etc) a majority of the fictional characters are white. They lack diversity and therefore and representation. The best way of fixing it is race bending certain characters.

Bullshit, there's plenty of minority characters in fiction that are not white. They get outright ignored in favor of race swapping.

Not to mention you're operating under the assumption that they need to be "fixed". There is nothing wrong with a show being a majority white, or a majority anything.

We could argue that perhaps they should create new characters of different races rather than race bending an established character, but we all now any new character would not be as popular as the established character who's been around for decades.

Bullshit, complete and utter bullshit. John Wick is a new franchise and one of the most popular action heroes of the last 20 years. You're literally arguing that something new cannot succeed. Blade was pretty much an unknown hero in the public consciousness when his film launched in the 90s, and he wound up being insanely more popular than his comic counterpart, in fact the film version of Blade wound up painting the design and depiction of the comic character for the foreseeable future.

Another factor here is that Wesker is not defined by the colour of his skin, so it doesn't matter who plays him or if his character has been race swapped.

Who are you to say his color isn't a part of his character? He's white. It's a part of who he is. You can say it's a small part of it, but it's still a part of him same as any other character and it shouldn't be fucked with. Just like Bane shouldn't be white, and many other characters who were wrongfully played by white people.

He was white, until he was black.

And it wasnt an issue.

Cool revisionist history kid. MANY fans of Nick Fury from his Max series and his appearances in the Punisher and Avengers had an issue with Marvel deferring to the Ultimate version of the character, and would vastly have preferred his chainsmoking, prostitute fucking, bad tempered genius from the original comics universe, instead of the generic Hollywood version they got.

I'm one of those fans. Nick Fury in the Marvel films is literally just Sam Jackson playing Sam Jackson as usual. I don't care for most of the MCU's depiction of my fav characters, and have since moved on.

Last edited:
I'd gladly welcome a black Logan or Asian Peter Parker. Would you, or would it frighten you to learn that from now on these fictional characters will no longer have white skin.
No, it would annoy me because Logan and Peter Parker are already established fictional characters. That's why I have no issue with Miles Morales - the black Spider-Man - since he is his own character. "Asian Peter Parker" would be unnecessary because it is race bending Peter Parker instead of introducing a new character that takes on the identity of Spider-Man.

Last edited:

Arimer

Why even attach it to the main games characters at this point? Just make them random ass citizens of the city. I love the dude but this idea is just garbage.

tkscz

This feels like a project that was a 100% different thing but Netflix got the RE movie rights and told them to change the name and make some random scientist Wesker just to have the connection. At the very least the original movie didn't go this far. Neo Racoon City? That sounds so painfully forced to connect it hurts. Even without the racial swapped Wesker, this would not do well with fans of the games. And it being a reboot, movie fans who invested in that universe most likely won't give it a chance. And if this fails, you bet your ass twitter will claim it was because of race.

AJUMP23

For the most part if the story of a fictional series is good the race of the various characters very little. As long as the bad guy has a British accent, then everything is going to be alright.

The synopsis:
"In the first timeline, 14-year-old sisters Jade and Billie Wesker are moved to New Raccoon City. A manufactured, corporate town, forced on them right as adolescence is in full swing. But the more time they spend there, the more they come to realize that the town is more than it seems and their father may be concealing dark secrets. Secrets that could destroy the world.

Cut to the second timeline, well over a decade into the future: there are less than fifteen million people left on Earth. And more than six billion monsters — people and animals infected with the T-virus. Jade, now thirty, struggles to survive in this New World, while the secrets from her past—about her sister, her father and herself—continue to haunt her."

Ok, the guy is great in The Wire, John Wick and even his voice in Destiny 2 is great.

But Albert Wesker? The Resident Evil "almostnazi" eugenic übermenschen villain? Really Netflix?

Normally I don't give a shit about mixing up race/gender on characters... but this one is pretty fucking absurd.

Wesker is literally an analogy for a eugenicist aryan. WTF lol...

For the most part if the story of a fictional series is good the race of the various characters very little. As long as the bad guy has a British accent, then everything is going to be alright.

Yeah but Wesker? That's his thing. He's essentially an ubernazi.

Last edited:
But you can have a Eugenics scientist and they be black. I actually think it would be a good ideal to not have another Aryan lover and have a person talk about the superiority of their non white race. Subvert some expectations.

It could be an interesting take... but with the fuckery they've pulled on the RE movies I'm pretty sketch about any changes.

I literally just want a series based on the games that isn't fuckery.

AJUMP23

It could be an interesting take... but with the fuckery they've pulled on the RE movies I'm pretty sketch about any changes.

every creator/producer/director wants to leave their mark, so they change stuff.

AJUMP23

Another idea to have a scientist of one race talk about the greatness of another race and the zombies are a side effect of trying to convert one race of people to what they consider the perfect race of people.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Another idea to have a scientist of one race talk about the greatness of another race and the zombies are a side effect of trying to convert one race of people to what they consider the perfect race of people.

Or... How about he's a scientist trying to create the perfect human? Why make it about race?

I totally agree. The movies were pretty awful to me. I think I stopped after the second one. I remember watching the first one thinking WTF, well at least Mila is hot. I just couldn’t force myself to continue it any further. Then again, almost all Screen Gems films are garbage. I’ve seen enough that I generally avoid them.

LRKD

Quite a lot of crazy shit in here...

Lance Reddick is a cool actor, and nobody has a problem with him being in this show. I think it's cool seeing him in more roles. What people have a problem with is changing established characters for no reason, crazy that it even needs to be said, but there is literally nothing wrong with that. If you don't like seeing established character race swapped for no reason, you are not a racist,. You're a fine, normal functioning person.

This show will probably be terrible shit, and Lance Reddick, being a good actor probably will be the best part of this shit show. The show will likely have way more problems then just the changing characters race imo. They really should've just created a original story, rather then tying it down by associating it with the RE license.

Top Bottom