• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Resident Evil 5 simply can't be remade, at least not to the standards of Capcom's best work. So the answer is not to remake, but to rewrite.

How should Capcom handle the Resident Evil 5 remake?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Its kind of hypocrite though.

You can blast white people in RE1-3, CV etc. You can blast latin people in RE4. And for RE5 they went to Africa. I thought the setting sucked, but not so much because of the enemies. It was just not fit for an RE game. Too bright, too much desert. And at some points it felt like Tomb Raider...
that's the one that jumped out at me while playing re4 remake. I can't remember anyone having a problem with the 'stigmatizing' of hispanic people. as in, no one. what's with that?...

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I don't particularly think that RE5 needs a remake - it still looks good today. I would be surprised if Capcom did remake it and stuck to their guns, given that N'Gai Croal's brand of victimhood is basically table stakes these days.

Killer8

IGN really aren't good journalists.

The N’Gai Croal article they mention was specifically talking about the trailer. It was a knee-jerk reaction by Croal that what he was seeing was just a "white man killing legions of black people" trope. Later though, Capcom revealed Sheva as the second playable character, who is with Chris for the entire game for the co-op to work. Not exactly a 'white savior' then when it's a mixed race and gender duo. Subsequent promotional material also showed that RE5's Africa was very artificially diverse. Every other Majini zombie you fight is either a white guy or Middle-Eastern.

In the finished game, there was little difference in the treatment of the African village versus the Spanish village in RE4. N’Gai Croal even met with producer Jun Takeuchi in 2009 for an interview, who explained that the grass skirt Majini were inspired by natives defending their land in movies like Indiana Jones. I don't know if Croal was entirely convinced by this (who honestly cares?), but the wording of the interview doesn't suggest at all that he thought Capcom or the game was racist.

Anyway.

For as much as people threw a fit about about those trailers, they are kind of the direction i'd want a remake to move in. They had a different vibe from the final game and there was a lot more tension in them:

The size of the crowds are massive compared to the final game.

When this game was first shown my jaw was on the floor ..those were the days . When a new generation actually meant a major leap in graphics.

PS- it didn't even occur to me when I saw the headline of this article that they meant "it has to be rewritten because of racial sensitivities" WTF?

THE GAME TAKES PLACE IN AFRICA! So is it only ok if WHITES are killed in a fucking digital fantasy videogame setting?

Pathetic

Buggy Loop

Shooting Spaniards right in the head is A-OK though IGN right?

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

I knew what they would talk about before even opening the thread.

Fatbody

Now there's a name I haven't heard in a while.

Lots of 2008/9 memories rushing back to my head, with him going on 1up Yours and talking to Garnett Lee about this.
And from my memory Garnett pushed back hard on the issue. The Garnett of today would have completely capitulated and knelt down and begged for forgiveness. Listening to those old podcasts is such a jarring time capsule of an era where game journalists had different points of view and debated openly and freely. I mean just look at what that British pansy wrote in this IGN article about race being a debate before 2020 and now a “reality.” It’s all “cases closed, do what I say” with these folks and no debate. Terrible, awful people.

kiphalfton

No need to remake. Only thing you can't do is move and shoot at the same time... But that feature is useless, since it's a PITA to actually kill enemies in RE2 without a "critical headshot".

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
They are welcome to re-create code Veronica and resident evil six from scratch.

Resident evil five can be like resident evil two remake and resident evil four remake.

Roni

Gold Member
They should change it as much as they've changed past remakes. 2 was great, 3 was ok (better gameplay than 2, though) and 4 was great. Just keep going...

Pejo

My friends and I always used to argue about who got to play as Sheva since she was hot and badass, and that's coming from a bunch of suburban white boys in 2010. Yet to IGN she doesn't count as a black protagonist for some reason?

Regarding the OP's question, I don't even want to see Capcom try remaking RE5. There's zero chance it won't get put through the ideological ringer, and even in best case scenario it'll look visually better than the original at the expense of generic looking art and assets. Same worry I now have about Bluepoint potentially "remastering" Bloodborne after what they did to Demon's Souls.

MarkyG

This might be an unpopular opinion... but RE5 was literally an arcadey-ish, cover based, 3rd person action game, it cranked up RE4's "action horror" to a silly degree. Add co-op to the mix and it dumbs down the horror vibe even more. Does it make it a bad game? Hell no, I really enjoyed it and took it for what it was. You could also say the same about RE6, cept the script was created by a mad scientist who wanted everything plus 4 kitchen sinks throwing in.

simpatico

Is this.... the retconned RE4 sequel I've been wanting for so long? I, I thought it was just a meme... Rewrite that motherfucker so fucking fast Capcom. Just a direct Leon sequel to RE4 thx

Flabagast

Why should we remake everything ? Especially when we are talking about shit games ?

So sick of gamers wanting to be fed the same thing forever and forever

Soodanim

Gold Member
The article is almost too retarded to even dignify with a response. But since we're on the subject, I do think RE5 needs to change. Not because the evil white oppressor mows down a continent's worth of innocent black men and women, but because 5 was a follower of trends. There were other ideas for 5 before it became a forced co-op shooter, and it would be nice to see the gameplay drift back towards something more traditionally Resident Evil.

Also, the way 4R ended makes me think they're already interested in changing things a bit. They couldn't really change 4 without their HQ being burned to the ground, but 5 is fair game. I still wonder if they will be brave and not kill Wesker off. This whole remake journey could have been to reverse Wesker dying. The franchise hasn't really known what to do since he died, and we've gone from vague company to other vague company without any company or villain sticking around for too long.

that's the one that jumped out at me while playing re4 remake. I can't remember anyone having a problem with the 'stigmatizing' of hispanic people. as in, no one. what's with that?...

The funny thing about the original RE4 is that they used Mexican voices as Spanish. It's hard to express how cringe they were. They messed up other things, from the local currency to folklore. It was far worse than portraying New Yorkers in cowboy outfits.

In Spain, nobody cared. We laughed it off because it was hilarious. I wish the remake used the old voices because they are so bad that are good. They inspired a thousand RE4 memes and that's priceless.

The only thing that pisses me off is a moron who can't put my country on a map taking offense on my behalf.

StueyDuck

Are we really back to saying black zombies are racist 🤣

Wasn't it racist apparently when all zombies in days gone were white (literally white, not Caucasian, because woke people can't comprehend simple English, they have literal white pigmented skin because they lived in caves according to the games lore)

So which is it? Having black zombies racist or is it racist not having black zombies?

Where's that GameSpot Jabba the hut that had all the opinions last time

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
If it was remade with black main characters killing all white zombies, these pieces of shit wouldnt say a word. These people are lunatic scumbags

mnkl13

Touchy subject matter
You don' have to rewrite the whole game just because of that. you can just change the main char for a black character, and then everyone will be more than fine with the "shooting waves of Africans for an entire video game" part. OK but now seriously, the enemies are zombified, and you also have a partner called Sheva, a black woman, and she's fine with the killing... so who are we to say no? if she says let the zombies live, i will.

now really serious, if resident evil 5 was never made, wouldn't some people be screaming racism and lack of representation in the resident evil universe? isn't a game in the main line, set in Africa, with characters such as Sheva and Josh, with a lot of attention to detail, and very good game overall, it?

Last edited:
RE 5 is probably the worst in the mainline series. Chris punching bolders and a crappy sendoff for one of the best villians in the entire series are just a few of the many complaints. Still, why remake it at this point. Water under the bridge.

knguyen

Nioh is white samurai, he run around with big ass weapon killing all kind of Asian monsters, me as an Asian never once got mad or feel "unsafe" about this. This kind of thought just doesn't appear in my head. What the fuck is wrong with these piece of shit getting offended just about everything? If not stopped, these kinds of weird breeds are gonna ruin all kind of entertainment, games, movies...

Top Bottom