• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Resident Evil 5 simply can't be remade, at least not to the standards of Capcom's best work. So the answer is not to remake, but to rewrite.

How should Capcom handle the Resident Evil 5 remake?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
If they remake RE5 before Code Veronica they deserve to fail.

RE5 was always where the series jumped the shark. I don't think the African setting is the main issue, it's just not a great game, and not scary.

Moses85

Season 4 Reaction GIF by The Office

NT80

I thought this was just an inferior RE4 and was awful towards the end. I remember a lot of Capcom's best talent left after RE4 with Shinji Mikami and it really showed in their work in the years immediately after. The original Separate Ways they made for the PS2 version after the talent drain was absolute trash.
I'd much rather they remade Code Veronica.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
If they remake RE5 before Code Veronica they deserve to fail.

RE5 was always where the series jumped the shark. I don't think the African setting is the main issue, it's just not a great game, and not scary.
Doesn't that make it more in need of a remake though rather than less? The setting was good, and with some work they could tone down the action and make it more of a horror game.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Doesn't that make it more in need of a remake though rather than less? The setting was good, and with some work they could tone down the action and make it more of a horror game.
Sure, but that speaks to the premise here, the game needs a major rework, moreso that 4 did. And give me Code Veronica first.

And THAT is why the re direction from survival horror to action in RE4 was such a massive mistake. RE4's design choice was the beginning of the end for the franchise until RE7 came along and saved it. Capcom KNOW they f'd up, RE4 led to RE5 and RE6 nearly destroying their reputation and the IP. They should have stuck with RE 3.5 instead. This is how it was actually meant to be.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
What’s the argument for not remastering RE5? These same issues were at the time of release (Kony 2012) and those didn’t stop it from releasing.

Eiknarf

Banned
What a bunch of morons, the fact that they made Africans zombies is inclusive. Everyone can be a zombie!
So wait,
IGN is afraid that it would be racist if black people were zombies in a Resident Evil game?

So, "Lets treat everybody the same. And by 'the same', we mean, different. Let's treat 'this' group of people with kid gloves"

GymWolf

IGN has turned into that meme where a white person complains that if you have a white protagonist shooting black npcs, it's white hate. If you have a black protagonist shooting at white npcs, it depicts black people as violent. If you have a black protagonist shooting at black npcs, you're encouraging black on black crime. And if you have no black characters in your game, you're a racist and your game should have better diversity.
winner-looks-like-we-have-a-winner.gif

GymWolf

And THAT is why the re direction from survival horror to action in RE4 was such a massive mistake. RE4's design choice was the beginning of the end for the franchise until RE7 came along and saved it. Capcom KNOW they f'd up, RE4 led to RE5 and RE6 nearly destroying their reputation and the IP. They should have stuck with RE 3.5 instead. This is how it was actually meant to be.

Fighting ghosts was not the answer.

It was a nice concept demo, but re is not about fucking ghosts and small dolls, it's about fighting mutated creatures and zombies.

Reaseru

I said this once and I'm going to say it again.

Change the african setting to South America...it's better in every way, and it explains better that mayan/aztec inspired ancient city present in the game.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Interesting topic here. Unfortunately, they disabled comments on X and the article so it's hard to get a read on if people agree with their take. Personally, I don't want a remake if they're going to butcher it.

Touchy subject matter
Link

So the answer is one of two things?

- We can't have games set in Africa
- It's okay to gun down a wave of white people that turn into monsters......but not black people that turn into monsters?

mckmas8808

I said this once and I'm going to say it again.

Change the african setting to South America...it's better in every way, and it explains better that mayan/aztec inspired ancient city present in the game.

Why is it okay to erase Africa off the map? I liked N'gai back in the day, but it feels weird that we aren't allowed to have any games set in Africa is the main character is white.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Only complete rework and rewrite from the ground up can save this circus and trash. Same goes for 6.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
IGN has turned into that meme where a white person complains that if you have a white protagonist shooting black npcs, it's white hate. If you have a black protagonist shooting at white npcs, it depicts black people as violent. If you have a black protagonist shooting at black npcs, you're encouraging black on black crime. And if you have no black characters in your game, you're a racist and your game should have better diversity.
Holy shit! FACTS!
This might be the best thing I read in a while~!

proandrad

Wait, so are they going to completely ignore that RE4 had Spanish people look like religious wackos, living in primitive villages, with little to no modern technology. Video game outlets need to get back to hiring video game nerds and stop hiring people that just failed to get a job at an actual news outlet. Video games aren’t that deep.

Reaseru

Why is it okay to erase Africa off the map? I liked N'gai back in the day, but it feels weird that we aren't allowed to have any games set in Africa is the main character is white.

If you can't shoot black enemies, how the heck can Chris survive killing enemies in a setting where black are 90% of its inhabitants? Unless you set RE in a Apartheid era South Africa where you can kill mostly Boers..., or set it in the Magrebe region.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

I voted "Don't touch it" assuming that means don't even remake it. I always assumed the 2 and 3 remakes were basically to modernize them into the game play style of 4/5/6, but then 4 could use a remake too just to bring the weapon aiming mechanics up to date. OG RE4 was one of my favorite games in its day, I played it from start to finish god only knows how many times on GCN and Wii. Then after not playing it for a few years, I tried to play the PS4 remaster and I couldn't do it.

But this is not the case with RE5, from what I can remember. The crosshairs was locked to the center of the screen in the original game, right? That's literally all I give a shit about. There's also the overriding matter that I just don't give a damn about RE5 in general to begin with. I played through it twice when it came out. I played it solo. It felt like a slap in the face a lot of the time. I just didn't think it was a great game by any measure and personally I don't see any value in remaking it. If I had my way, the next REMake would be RE1, to bring it in line with RE2make and RE3make. DO IT

Futaleufu

I'd rather have a "Resident Evil Classics" with 1-3+CV, tank controls and all that. People forgot these were supposed to be horror games.

Last edited:

McGILLAZ

Interesting topic here. Unfortunately, they disabled comments on X and the article so it's hard to get a read on if people agree with their take. Personally, I don't want a remake if they're going to butcher it.

Dated design

Touchy subject matter

Link

Maybe they should make an IGN edition, Ala a Director's Cut. it might have 5 minutes of gameplay, but perhaps it will satisfy the masses. Capcom can see how well it will sell compared to the (non) neutered version and act accordingly.

angrod14

Somehow you can release this:
re4_ganados_01.png

And we all understand that it's not supposed to be a representation of current Spain and their culture, that these aren't supposed to be "average Spanish people" and this isn't supposed to be the city center of Madrid or Barcelona.

But we can't do that with Africa?
It’s the white vs. black dichotomy. Spaniards are still white.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Its kind of hypocrite though.

You can blast white people in RE1-3, CV etc. You can blast latin people in RE4. And for RE5 they went to Africa. I thought the setting sucked, but not so much because of the enemies. It was just not fit for an RE game. Too bright, too much desert. And at some points it felt like Tomb Raider.

But in terms of Gameplay and Mercs, RE5 handily beat RE4. I think at its core there is a place for a new RE5. After so many single player RE games, why not a new co-op game with these revised mechanics?
Lol

RE 4 are Europeans, not Latin people.

bumpkin

RE5 was awesome! I played through it coop dozens of times with my buddy and several times solo. I wouldn’t mind a remake if it’s shown the same love and care as 2, 3 and 4 got.

Somehow you can release this:
re4_ganados_01.png

And we all understand that it's not supposed to be a representation of current Spain and their culture, that these aren't supposed to be "average Spanish people" and this isn't supposed to be the city center of Madrid or Barcelona.

But we can't do that with Africa?
And unironically, the same people who take exception to Chris being white and gunning down black enemies in a country where the population is 80% black wouldn’t bat an eye if the races were reversed.

Why didn’t anyone in the media have a conniption about the Asian enemies in China in Chris’ RE6 campaign?

The whole controversy was stupid when the game came out and it’s even more dumb now. It’s a work of fiction, people need to get over it and stop trying to revise everything that might offend somebody (who are just looking for a fight to pick).

Last edited:
Fighting ghosts was not the answer.

It was a nice concept demo, but re is not about fucking ghosts and small dolls, it's about fighting mutated creatures and zombies.
RE7 had a creepy mutant baby monster and no one complained. I would argue RE is not about SAW either yet it had a SAW section too. Forget about the enemies. It's about the atmosphere and game play, which that concept demo had in true classic RE abundance.

GymWolf

RE7 had a creepy mutant baby monster and no one complained. I would argue RE is not about SAW either yet it had a SAW section too. Forget about the enemies. It's about the atmosphere and game play, which that concept demo had in true classic RE abundance.
Yeah and i don't consider re7 and 8 actual resident evil games (first person also being a factor), more like a deviation from the classic concept.

Maybe they are not important to you, but seeing mutations and creatures is one of the thing i like about the re series, ghost just don't feel right in a saga that has always been about genetic mutations.

Matter of taste i guess.

Last edited:

SHA

Its kind of hypocrite though.

You can blast white people in RE1-3, CV etc. You can blast latin people in RE4. And for RE5 they went to Africa. I thought the setting sucked, but not so much because of the enemies. It was just not fit for an RE game. Too bright, too much desert. And at some points it felt like Tomb Raider.

But in terms of Gameplay and Mercs, RE5 handily beat RE4. I think at its core there is a place for a new RE5. After so many single player RE games, why not a new co-op game with these revised mechanics?
You see the pattern? you gradually not giving a shit about these people, RE story is built on illusion, you started caring about others but in reality, you only care about yourself and how to get escape from all this mess, with adding thrilling effects here and there, that's unfair, selfish, this is so stupid, like 5th grade level of stupidity, instead of caring about civilians, you care about upgrading your weapons, this is so sophisticated, so specific, so distracting from your real mission.

mckmas8808

If you can't shoot black enemies, how the heck can Chris survive killing enemies in a setting where black are 90% of its inhabitants? Unless you set RE in a Apartheid era South Africa where you can kill mostly Boers..., or set it in the Magrebe region.

I just think it's stupid that shooting black enemies is supposed to be viewed as bad. We did it in GTA: San Andreas

IGN really aren't good journalists.

The N’Gai Croal article they mention was specifically talking about the trailer. It was a knee-jerk reaction by Croal that what he was seeing was just a "white man killing legions of black people" trope. Later though, Capcom revealed Sheva as the second playable character, who is with Chris for the entire game for the co-op to work. Not exactly a 'white savior' then when it's a mixed race and gender duo. Subsequent promotional material also showed that RE5's Africa was very artificially diverse. Every other Majini zombie you fight is either a white guy or Middle-Eastern.

In the finished game, there was little difference in the treatment of the African village versus the Spanish village in RE4. N’Gai Croal even met with producer Jun Takeuchi in 2009 for an interview, who explained that the grass skirt Majini were inspired by natives defending their land in movies like Indiana Jones. I don't know if Croal was entirely convinced by this (who honestly cares?), but the wording of the interview doesn't suggest at all that he thought Capcom or the game was racist.

Anyway.

For as much as people threw a fit about about those trailers, they are kind of the direction i'd want a remake to move in. They had a different vibe from the final game and there was a lot more tension in them:

The size of the crowds are massive compared to the final game.

This is actually pretty insightful, because I don't remember the media showing N'Gai's subsequent interviews or seeing the answer from Jun about the grass skirt zombies. Then again, I didn't care about the controversy at the time and thought it was stupid; when my friend and I played it together back at release that stuff was the last thing on our mind, we were just having a lot of fun (and increasingly cracking jokes at some choices throughout especially the final boss fight).

The final game definitely deviated a good bit from the early trailers, which nailed the Black Hawk Down vibes better. The trailers also did more with the light/dark contrasts for horror than the final game managed. I'd be down for a remake that better captured the mood of the pre-final footage (and maybe made the final boss fight less comically stupid).

“perhaps one with a black protagonist”

These motherfuckers casually pretending my favorite RE girl doesn’t exist…

Angry Spongebob Squarepants GIF
King Of The Hill Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Angry Craig Of The Creek GIF by Cartoon Network
tired eye GIF
angry courage the cowardly dog GIF by Boomerang Official
daffy duck ttc GIF

Bad enough with basic blasphemers here who have suggested removing her from the game, I don’t need full on articles saying even more ignorant shit.

Either they've never played the game (very likely), or they're one of those "she's not "coded" black enough" types. I really hate Steven Universe and shows like that for pushing the "coded" crap.

Basically, that editor's probably thinking Sheva needs to have a giant afro, be somewhat overweight, and look less like Alicia Keys & more like Leslie Jones.

Last edited:

tommycronin

Banned
Imagine calling yourself a videogame journalist in 2024. I remember them adding in whyte zombies after the initial reveal in trailers so you could also kill whyte people but that was never gonna be enough.

This is the guy crying racism btw.
raHWVZB.jpg

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They need to just make the AI invincible. It's no fun having to babysit someone who's supposed to be equally as powerful as the protagonist.

RE5 is great when you make Sheva invincible but don't give her any equipment and just use her as a crank turning assistant.

See. This is EXACTLY why I do not want an RE5 Remake. I knew this was going to happen. Shooting American/European/etc zombies is fine, but not African zombies? I rather see them work on RE9 or something else. I feel this will probably be an unfaithful, neutered mess to the original if these weirdos get their way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom