• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Resident Evil 5 simply can't be remade, at least not to the standards of Capcom's best work. So the answer is not to remake, but to rewrite.

How should Capcom handle the Resident Evil 5 remake?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Kacho

Interesting topic here. Unfortunately, they disabled comments on X and the article so it's hard to get a read on if people agree with their take. Personally, I don't want a remake if they're going to butcher it.

Dated design
Resident Evil is a survival horror series, not that you’d know that playing Resident Evil 5. Sure, it features a constant flow of horrific imagery, but RE 5 is an action game through-and-through. That’s evident in its cover-shooter mechanics, vehicle chases with on-rails turret sequences, and the constant rattle of assault rifles. Even its visual design evokes the sandy shades of modern military games that experienced mass popularity in the late 2000s. It all speaks to a series that had lost its way. Rather than reflect on the tenets that were the foundation of its existence, Resident Evil 5 looked to the contemporary gaming zeitgeist in an attempt to find a new lease of life. The result is an unholy hybrid of Resident Evil, Gears of War, and Call of Duty. It’s as ugly and unwieldy as it sounds.

This design appears to be not just a misguided attempt to follow Western successes, but also a misreading of its predecessor. With Resident Evil 4, director Shinji Mikami deftly reinvented the series through the use of a new over-the-shoulder camera angle. The perspective allowed for a more kinetic, action-heavy game. Despite this, Mikami never lost sight of the terror at the core of Resident Evil. Through use of enemies that were strategically placed to provide undulating waves of tension and fear, and the inclusion of Ashley as your vulnerable charge, combat encounters were focussed on surviving overwhelming horrors rather than dominating foes.

Resident Evil 5, meanwhile, presents its enemies as waves to be gunned down with increasingly powerful weaponry. Their purpose is cannon fodder; a wall of meat to slow your progress through levels. And those levels are not locations to be explored; instead they are largely funnels that push you from entrance to exit. Resident Evil 4 may have replaced the series’ traditional continuous structure with discrete levels in an attempt to move away from the backtracking-heavy design of previous games, but it preserved the spirit of locations like the Raccoon City Police Station. The village, Salazar’s castle, and the island feature interlocking, explorable pathways that solidify these locations as authentic spaces rather than obstacle courses. Resident Evil 5 has no interest in this, with the majority of its stages being little more than corridors peppered with dead-ends to hide treasures in. Their lack of authenticity means no one will ever mention the Kijuju Autonomous Zone in the same breath as the Spencer Mansion.

Touchy subject matter
Set in a fictional West African country, Resident Evil 5’s primary antagonists are Black people. Yes, technically it’s the Uroboros virus that protagonist Chris Redfield is fighting, but the parasite’s host is depicted as a nation of mobs and primitives who are violent even before their infection. Intentionally or not, Resident Evil 5 positions Africa as the ‘Dark Continent’, an uncivilised world harbouring a diseased population that needs gunning down via Western intervention in the name of global security.

This insensitive treatment of people of colour was hotly debated even as early as Resident Evil 5’s debut trailer, with writers such as N’Gai Croal and Stephen Totilo pointing out the game’s uncomfortable, post-colonial imagery. The arguments and think-pieces continued well into the game’s release window, with IGN’s own former editor-in-chief Hilary Goldstein having also wrestled with the subject. But that was 2009 – a time when race was apparently a debate rather than a reality. In the 2020s, in a post-Black Lives Matter world, there is only one acceptable response to a white man shooting waves of Africans for an entire video game: no.

Remakes may be able to redefine their source material, but there’s only so many changes you can make until it’s not a remake at all, but an entirely new game. And if you take Africa out of Resident Evil 5, is it Resident Evil 5 anymore? Even with a vastly improved, more sensitive take on the continent – perhaps one with a Black protagonist and more empathetic look at the outbreak – the experience would simply be too divorced from the original to hold the name ‘Resident Evil 5’.

In Resident Evil 4 remake’s post-credits scene, evil mastermind Albert Wesker details his plans for world domination to Ada Wong. Reflected in his glasses is an image of Excella Gionne and the Stairway of the Sun – two significant plot elements from Resident Evil 5 – which indicates Capcom’s intentions. But there’s more to consider. This scene is largely a replication of a sequence from Assignment: Ada, a non-canon chapter from the original Resident Evil 4. Its shift from unofficial to canon points to a willingness to change. Furthermore, the end of this scene is entirely re-written: when learning of Wesker’s plans, rather than dutifully deliver the stolen Las Plagas sample to him, Ada betrays her shadowy boss and forces her helicopter pilot to turn around. In this moment the future of Resident Evil becomes unclear. Capcom has given itself the freedom to do whatever it wants – I just hope it’s not a remake of Resident Evil 5.

Link

SkylineRKR

Its kind of hypocrite though.

You can blast white people in RE1-3, CV etc. You can blast latin people in RE4. And for RE5 they went to Africa. I thought the setting sucked, but not so much because of the enemies. It was just not fit for an RE game. Too bright, too much desert. And at some points it felt like Tomb Raider.

But in terms of Gameplay and Mercs, RE5 handily beat RE4. I think at its core there is a place for a new RE5. After so many single player RE games, why not a new co-op game with these revised mechanics?

FUBARx89

"With Resident Evil 4, director Shinji Mikami deftly reinvented the series through the use of a new over-the-shoulder camera angle. The perspective allowed for a more kinetic, action-heavy game. Despite this, Mikami never lost sight of the terror at the core of Resident Evil. Through use of enemies that were strategically placed to provide undulating waves of tension and fear, and the inclusion of Ashley as your vulnerable charge, combat encounters were focussed on surviving overwhelming horrors rather than dominating foes."

Yeah, no. RE4 isn't terrfying or tense, it never was. People need to take off the rose tinted glasses regarding RE4. Vastly overrated game.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
200.gif

I can't stand these fucking soft weirdos

Puscifer

I hope they remake 5 with the actual horror intentions brought back in they planned early on in development.

Dear lord :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The crazy thing is it's not a TERRIBLE idea, they could even make Sheva a main character this go round since she basically existed (let's be real) to quell the controversy. But you know damn well it'll be infested with (and boy do I hate quoting him) ***THE MESSAGE***

I kinda hate a cool idea came from IGN because it'll never be good enough for the people who actually cared enough about the imagery to whine.

Last edited:

laynelane

Resident Evil 5 sold millions of copies. There's such a disconnect between the people who play games and the bloggers who write about them. I'd prefer they remake it faithfully but have no problem with additions that stay true to the original game. For example, the sewer section in RE2 remake or the Sherry part where she had to evade the Chief.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I agree they shouldnt remake RE5 but my reasoning is that game is just complete ass. That and 6 nearly killed the franchise.
Yeah, no. Resident Evil 5 was an amazing action packed co-op experience. Sure it's dated now, but back in the day it was amazing.

I remember clearing the game in all difficulties with a pal of mine back on PS3 era, and it was super fun.

Last edited:
Only Resident Evil game left that's worth a remake is Code Veronica (aka the real part 3). 5 and 6 can be left alone and forgotten...where they belong. If Capcom can do this and go back to having RE not be in 1st person and stick to survival horror, I'm a happy camper.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
The underlying story that ties everything together for Umbrella Inc is brilliant.

The main story is absolute trash. I'd prefer it to not be remade, waste of time and resources. Give us CV:X or a proper RE0 that actually focuses on Bravo Team.

No need to waste time on RE5&6.

Wtf.. I just played through RE5 for the first time and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It takes place in Africa, of course most of the enemies are black. They aren't black because Capcom wanted the player specifically to kill black people. One of the protagonists is native to Africa... Can fictional characters not travel the world anymore and must be restricted to wherever they are ethnically from even though that makes no sense?

I'm not sure why they would have trouble remaking this game from story, mechanical or any perspective honestly.

Shifty1897

Resident Evil 5 was not great to begin with. Rewrite it all you want and make a better game.
Maybe keep the boulder punching scene though.

Shifty1897

That and it was literally the capcom best seller forever, saying they nearly killed the franchise is idiotic, it took MHW to knock it of the throne, heck I think only RE2R has sold better so far.
It was the best seller because of Resident Evil 4, not because it was great. Just like FF8 sold a ton because of FF7.

Fbh

Somehow you can release this:
re4_ganados_01.png

And we all understand that it's not supposed to be a representation of current Spain and their culture, that these aren't supposed to be "average Spanish people" and this isn't supposed to be the city center of Madrid or Barcelona.

But we can't do that with Africa?

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

It would sell even more in 2025/2026 Just do it

Also you just need to make Sheva the MC since she is a woman of colour ppl wouldnt dare to riot and black on black violance is not racism ( at least is what these ppl think )
Capcom is safe.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Soon, we will be shooting rednecks in Black Hawk Down too

RE5 is know as the 'co-op' one. The authors of these articles are like children. Like they try to present a reasonable case for change. But then they are so narcissistic they have to virtue signal so the subtext is really clear.

I liked co-op in 5, but I look forward to gunning down the calmest zombie horde of black people at coffee tables in their doctor outfits and expensive suits who are working on curing themselves, and are also vegan as to not eat the general population.

And black protagonist - how racist. Black on black violence is a real issue.

Horatius

this was one of the first wokestorms i remember that really hit off in the more mainstream gaming press, maybe even the first one. signaled a lot of things that ramped up over the next few years, especially the zealot progressives and their ideology successfully taking over the gaming media for many years.

they actually tried with resident evil 4 too, the argument being it was offensive to latinos or something lmfao, but that didn't quite take off since the ideology hadn't quite permeated through enough of gaming culture yet, and ultimately it was just literal spanish people in the game so no one gave a fuck.

memory holed by many but some remember.

Last edited:
So we can have controversial movies and TV shows, but not controversial games. Got it. So stupid.

And there's little controversial about RE5's story anyway. Capcom already made changes to parts of the opening because of Western media back in the day, but aside the incidental fact most of the zombies were black because most of the game took place in Sub-Saharan Africa, there was never anything malicious or intently racist about RE5. The only thing really maybe kind of questionable is the one part where you come across people in tribal dress.

Except...that was just some of the zombies, not all of them, and there are tribes in African countries today that do actually dress up in tribal gear for ceremonial purposes. Why couldn't those villagers have became infected when they were doing a ceremonial celebration? Did that ever cross the minds of the Western outcry journalists? Both Sheva and Josh were pretty well-written in the game's story, too (at least about as good as RE5's story could allow for well-written characters regardless of skin color or gender).

The desperation to label the game racist is so bad, once again Western journalists had to try saying one of Sheva's alt Mercenaries outfits was racist & sexist. When, again, an African woman with a tribal-inspired outfit isn't inherently racist, when some dress like literally today for ceremonial purposes. Maybe not as sexy as Sheva does, but it's a video game, and sex sells.

Also, didn't Chris have a pseudo S&M outfit in RE5? Where were the outcries about that being sexualizing of a male character? The game's rated M for Mature, it's made for adults. Stop trying to treat adults like babies just because you (Western games journalists) are too scared of a little TnA.

If anything RE5's story could've had stronger ties to the real-life dictatorship and shady government stuff that happens in a lot of African countries, or references to blood diamonds. They kind of had that one guerrilla Kony-like dude with the microphone early in the game but that was it. They could've made him a bigger villain selling off villagers to get shady vaccines & become test subjects for the new Umbrella virus, in exchange for tons of money and weaponizing zombified villagers against political dissenters.

But I guess that's not the kind of "representation" groups like Sweet Baby Inc. would want since y'know, it touches on real issues not related to identity politics and would have a black character who's a prominent villain (despite Sheva and Josh being protagonists on the other side of that) 🙄

Sheva is beautiful so to these people she's white. I'm not even kidding.

They're also kind of the sort who think black people have to look a very specific way in order to actually be black. It's like the One Drop rule all over again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom