• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 3 remake is still a dope game despite its flaws

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Yeah, that was really baffling. Idk if they though that it would make the game too easy or what but it would really be a godsend during certain boss fights. Or even with regular enemies when they rush you and all you can do is to awkwardly break into a light jog in the opposite direction.
It's because of parry and crouch; you can parry so many attacks it's kinda ridiculous how strong leon is defensively, there's also a lot of attacks you can actually straight up crouch to avoid, these attacks have no prompts to "evade" because they expect you to be a bit intuitive about it (horizontal swing? crouch dodge that bitch)

skneogaf

It's very fun to play and looks amazing but too much was cut the differences between 2 remake and 3 remake are too vast.

Its probably quite an easy fix with a nemesis edition that would likely be profitable too as we'd all buy it again.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's because of parry and crouch; you can parry so many attacks it's kinda ridiculous how strong leon is defensively, there's also a lot of attacks you can actually straight up crouch to avoid, these attacks have no prompts to "evade" because they expect you to be a bit intuitive about it (horizontal swing? crouch dodge that bitch)
Yeah, I'm probably just set in the old ways where I would simply try to move out of the way and rely on melee attack prompts. I rarely ever tried to parry or crouch-dodge anything because I either forgot that these moves existed or just didn't try to use them instinctively.

I'll have to keep that in mind on my subsequent playthroughs.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah, I'm probably just set in the old ways where I would simply try to move out of the way and rely on melee attack prompts. I rarely ever tried to parry or crouch-dodge anything because I either forgot that these moves existed or just didn't try to use them instinctively.

I'll have to keep that in mind on my subsequent playthroughs.
Yeah the Parry is a game changer but they do balance it out so it's not OP.
And parrying off a villagers hand is so satisfying.
Also different weapons are more suitable for different enemies.
For example, you can unload clips into those dogs but the Bolt Thrower can knock them down and set up a downed knife kill.
I'm playing on Hardcore and so far the escape with Ashley was the only thing to cause me problems.
(I literally dodged an axe throw but it hit Ashley instead 😅)

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
For those that want good Survival Horror that isn't a remake.
Play this masterpiece.
It's the best Silent Hill game Bloober will never make and the best classic Resident Evil since REmake.

OUGEI5r.jpg
No, not really. Atmosphere is decent but the spawning enemies are annoying and the story is garbage.

Amory

All of the remakes are fantastic.

RE3 just happens to be not one of the better RE games. IMO of course.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I have to stan for RE3 remake. When I was a kid, RE3 came out and people shat on it. Remake comes out and people shat on it...well some people who are very vocal about it but it both cases, it's a vocal minority, screaming into an echo chamber. The original RE3 got good reviews and sold well. Same for the Remake.

Jill is far more awesome and charismatic in the remake and Carlos is a much richer, better character and Nicolai is much more important and badass. It didn't mind mind the "branching paths" being taken out, because in the end that shit was artificial. Does it matter if you meet Carlos at the press place or the restaurant? No. Same dialogue happens. An explosion knocks Nemmy out. It's the same damn thing. Gravedigger? A fight that you can literally climb out of in seconds, and otherwise is just a worm that comes out of holes sometimes? Meh. They added lickers instead, and they make for much better encounters. Clocktower? Would have been nice but it was always a pretty short segment, and after all the gothic stuff we have in the series as of now, I am kind of ok with skipping that aesthetic for RE3 which does feel ultra urban and less videogamey in a sense. Like RCPD building is fuckballs amazing but does it feel like a realistic police station? Nah.

Nemesis was always scripted as hell. People seem to have rose-tinted glasses where original Nemesis was a super awesome stalker that could be anywhere but nope. He was scripted and only could follow you for a few rooms before the chase ended. Now did he look cooler? Yeah. I kinda don't like the new Nemesis design but as far as gameplay goes, he's great and his fights are much better in the remake.

The game isn't that short. It's longer than either of the campaigns in RE2 remake. But RE2 remake had two of them (four technically but with such minimal differences, does it really count?).

The emphasis on replayability, learning the game, mastering the dodge, optimizing your runs, unlocking TONS of cool shit in the post game store...Game had a LOT more value that people give it credit for, because many just did one runthrough and never touched it again while it's meant to be replayed over and over.

Both RE2 and RE3 remakes differ signficantly from their source material. They reenvisioned both games into totally different experiences with call backs to the originals. RE4 remake on the other hand is much closer to the Gamecube game, and as a result of course it's bigger and better than ever but again RE4 was always bigger and better.

Last edited:
RE3 Remake seems to get an inordinate amount of criticism for its cut content while people just seem to overlook the cuts and changes in the RE2 and RE4 remakes. As far as remakes go, they are each guilty of cutting and changing things found in the originals. I just find it funny that people will often trot out these very detailed lists of everything missing from RE3 Remake, when it's as easy to make similar lists for the other remakes too. RE2 remake completely botched the A/B scenario system for example. RE4 remake is missing

the U3 boss fight

which was a much more iconic fight than Gravedigger ever was - yet not much noise is being made about that.

What i'm saying doesn't really excuse any of it, but it's odd nonetheless that the other remakes essentially get a free pass and massive online adoration yet RE3 remake gets mercilessly shit on. There is also a lot of confusion about the remake being 'too short', which is a criticism I think people get confused with it having cut content. A playthrough of the original RE3 and the remake will clock in at within 1/2 an hour of each other according to HowLongToBeat. Hardly worth making a big deal about.
Of those RE Engine remakes, I prefer 3R the most and even over the OG game. It's a game I just naturally got the flow of pacing wise. It has the best remixed music out of all those RE Engine REmakes, especially the save room theme. Bonus points for getting some ex PlatinumGames devs to work on the game, setting up things for the true RE4 1:1 REmake that we never got, instead getting the version done by the 2R staff that's even less accurate to the OG RE4

My first playthrough of this game was a weird one. It had more cuts than RE2R but somehow the cuts to RE2R irked me more. It boiled down to me having a bigger connection to the original Resident Evil 2.

I enjoyed RE3R but I can't blame people for being annoyed. It is a great game no doubt but they completely missed the point of the original RE3 and that's why the reimagining fails in ways that RE2R's didn't. RE2R totally understood RE2 despite it cutting some elements out. RE3R feels like they took RE3 and missed the point on it and just redid it in a new way. To a person who is extremely into the original RE3 that could rustle some feathers.

I'll break down what they get wrong.

Raccoon City feels small

In the original game the city felt very interconnected. You can walk to the police station, walk to the hospital, walk to the park from the hospital, walk to the dead factory. Everything feels majorly connected.

In comparison, RE3R many times just teleports you to a major location using a cutscene. Doing this makes the world feel less connected and tiny. So in the end you have the demo section of the city which is great but limited and then a lot of linear paths till you teleport to the hospital which is a hub.

Even the intro rushes through events in the original game in a way that it makes every moment feel less meaningful. In the original Dario Russo felt like a character Jill was talking with for a while. In the remake you just barge in and have a brief convo with the stranger and leave. It's like they did a greatest hits of the OG's opening and just rattled them off in succession. It again makes Raccoon City feel small.

Nemesis was botched

I like how he looks in the remake but the remake kinda screws up the lead villain of the game in various ways. For one he doesn't kill a single stars member in the remake. For a monster that is supposed to be a threat to STARS, having him not kill Brad was a massive mistake. It establishes that he knows how to get the job done and you're next.

On top of that for whatever reason Nemesis doesn't feel like the persistent threat as he was in the original. I think he was used less and they made him turn into his beast form way too soon which cut him off from any other chase sequences. Those chase sequences being incredibly scripted didn't help the dynamics of it either. Whereas in the original much of his moments were unscripted moments where he can just pop up throughout the city.

Player Choice

I know some people don't like live selection but the idea of there being decisions that can be made ala Until Dawn really shook things up in an interesting way. RE3 was in essence a choose your adventure and it lead to different endings ( which the remake didn't have ). It didn't always make for vastly different changes but it made subsequent playthroughs more fun knowing you can change up your decision making and see the outcome of those decisions. So RE3 went from being a largely open and player driven experience to a very linear and player controlled experience.

Cuts

It goes without saying cutting the clock tower as a location was a mistake. For one the game greatly needed a fresh and different location. Going from the hospital to the lab felt kinda samey. So for them to cut Clock Tower and expand the hospital it felt like the wrong direction to take. The hospital was short in the original so it made sense to keep it limited in the remake. The Clock Tower visually allowed for a classic styled RE local to show up and also give some variety to what comes after it with the dead factory.

RE3R taking out locations that give more unique aesthetics and then pumping it with locations that didn't was one of it's biggest mistakes. Cutting Clock Tower, Town Hall, The Park, and even Dead Factory. Bringing in a Sewer, a giant building set piece you run up to fight a boss, expanding the hospital, and turning Dead Factory into another Nest just hurt the diversity of locations.

Also cutting the Grave Digger was a mistake. It wasn't a great battle in the original game but it could have been made into one. When you diminish the Nemesis and don't even have any other bosses to make up for it, it can be a let down.

Also shockingly RE3 had a decent amount of puzzles which felt like a complete afterthought in the remake.

Having said all that ......

RE3R does a fantastic job with characterization, files, and music. It's just a shame it got so much of the rest wrong. I like the game more than most but I totally sympathize with people who feel like it got screwed. I think people trying to pretend anyone who is critical of this game just wasn't a fan of the original RE3 to begin with isn't a fair criticism. I've recently grown to love RE3 OG a great deal. If anything RE3R had the opportunity to show people what they missed in RE3 OG since it's been so overlooked. Instead they botched that opportunity by making a lesser version.

Killer8 Killer8

I think the reason people give RE3R more flack is for the reasons I stated above. RE2R and RE4R don't get the essence wrong. For the most part they knock it out of the park on what each game originally was. It just reimagines some ideas and omits some elements here and there. In RE4R's case it's such a big game that a few cuts don't stick out as much as RE3R which is an incredibly short game that could have used more content. Not to mention the thing you mentioned that got cut in RE4R has a good chance of being in some Ada DLC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom