• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix announces its Resident Evil series cast. Guess what?

Wesker is a fictional character and nowhere in his backstory is it particularly relevant that he's white. There's really no reason he can't be played by a black actor. Perhaps the people who cast this series thought he would be best for the role? Maybe he will make a fantastic Wesker. You don't know as you have not seen the series.
Have no doubt he couldn't do the role. You're very obtusely missing the point.

Shouta

Neat. He should be a pretty good job, assuming the production and script is good.

If you really want a Wesker that's accurate to the look of the games, just go watch Paul, W.S. Anderson's movies. Wesker and Ada were the only two characters that he got right in terms of look. Too bad about the movies themselves though....

e&e

Banned
Probably gonna be garbage.
Because a black guy is playing the role huh?
Edit: Actually, TMPOC (too much people of color)!
People are going to return to this thread when the show is out and say that Lance Reddick was the best thing about the show, same as Isaac in Netflix's Castlevania.
Agree! It’s all transparent when you see these threads posted with these reactions...

Last edited:

sol_bad

My god, what is this shit? Are there even any resident evil characters in that? And no, Wesker isn't a black guy, as much as I like Lance Reddick in his previous roles. I'm not even sure sol_bad sol_bad and @ManaByte will like this, and they love everything Hollywood tells them to love.

I say the thread, saw the first post and then exited. I don't care if a white voice actor plays a black character and I don't care if a black voice actor plays a white character. As sad as it is I just generally don't care about voice actors at all.

I'll watch the show and judge it on its own merits. Hopefully it's not shit like the CGI movies that were released.

No, the Black Panther is from Wakanda.. an African country and it is an important characteristic that he is black. Its not a very good comparison.
My goodness. Use your imagination, you know exactly the point I'm driving at.

If they cast Keanu Reeves as Meteor Man I'd criticize that too. That example work better to help you understand?

belmarduk

My goodness. Use your imagination, you know exactly the point I'm driving at.

If they cast Keanu Reeves as Meteor Man I'd criticize that too. That example work better to help you understand?

I do know exactly what point you're trying to make.. and I think its ridiculous. Haven't seen this Meteor Man film of yours, but Keanu Reeves is a fine actor as well.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
By the way, this cast easily fits a live action Resident Evil Outbreak

maxresdefault.jpg

Could have been a cool TV show concept since these guys don't have plot armor

I’m mixed with so many different races I never care about race bending unless it’s the iconic peeps. I just hope it’s good. I usually can snag Netflix scripts early so I’ll let you all know how horrible it is.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
So, we’re never actually going to get Resident Evil in live action are we?

First time around it was one giant excuse for a moron to show off his wife, second time around it’s one giant excuse for a collection of people to signal their virtue.

The first time it was an excuse for a guy to make a good horror movie. The fact that he pulled a supermodel while doing so is a testament to his genius.

Rest

An example of a post that will get you removed from the thread.
I thought no political discussion is allowed?
If you think black people existing is a political issue, you're just a racist.

Rest

I do know exactly what point you're trying to make.. and I think its ridiculous. Haven't seen this Meteor Man film of yours, but Keanu Reeves is a fine actor as well.
Meteor Man is a great movie. I can't see the post you replied to, so I don't know what they said, but the entire gimmick of Meteor Man was "what if there was a movie about a black superhero?" Countering the exclusion of people of color from a genre as ubiquitous as super heroes was the point of the movie.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Dont care one way or the other about the casting. I have no faith it'll be good. If it is good it wont get a second season. See: The Dark Crystal Age of Resistance

Last edited:
Wesley Snipes would be a great black Wesker.

Reddick. . .eh, he doesn't have that edge to him.

Wesker is a fictional character and nowhere in his backstory is it particularly relevant that he's white. There's really no reason he can't be played by a black actor. Perhaps the people who cast this series thought he would be best for the role? Maybe he will make a fantastic Wesker. You don't know as you have not seen the series.

Wesker is literally a eugenics project that made a bunch of genocidal blonde-haired blue-eyed clones who view themselves as genetic perfection. I think you can do a black Wesker, hence why I said Snipes would be great, but. . .it's still kind of weird.

Narasumas

Ethnicity aside….Lance is a great actor and I feel he can channel the Wesker vibes pretty strongly. I’m optimistic. No comment on any other castings, as idk them. He can play a cold dude when he wants to.

I’ve never been a fan of the movies…so I’m cautious on the project as a whole though.

Last edited:
let's face it. it's not like RE as a series is some epic tale on par with Lord of the Ring or Count of Monte Cristo or something. hell, RE2, which is probably my all time favorite, has a young girl, a pretty boy and a child taking on a whole city of zombies. from RE1's "master of unlocking" to RE4's one man army going after the daughter of POTUS and RE5's boulder punching, the RE series is nothing if not cheesey and silly. and we had not even talked about the RE movies yet. maybe just wait until after we watched the show once it's out before writing it off?

Harkonnen

Neo Member
So you dont watch any of the Marvel films? They are alternate universe tales of the comics. And dont even get me started on the mess that are the DC films.

Heck the old RE films are alt universe.
Just some of them. But I liked the Snyder's DC films (sorry ^^)
What I meant was that "alternate universe" is only used for "new adaptation". But with the concept of alternate, they can re-adapt them faster.

Dacon

Banned
People are going to return to this thread when the show is out and say that Lance Reddick was the best thing about the show, same as Isaac in Netflix's Castlevania.

What? Isaac was fucking terrible. Shitty character, with a moronic storyline with no proper resolution, and no comeuppance for the terrible shit he did. Graham McTavish's voice acting as Dracula was the best part of that show, and the fact that he was criminally underused irritates me.

It's nice to see that the only representation black people can get are white characters palette swapped like fucking Mortal Kombat ninjas.

Why ever utilize all the existing black characters and superheroes when you can just make a white character black. People applaud this stupidity like it's a good thing, apparently the only good black character is a white person with brown skin.

Lance Reddick has been in a lot of bit parts and shit roles recently, my dude deserves better than being cast in a Shitflix original.

EDIT: They fucking cast a black guy as a character who is a eugenics practicing mad scientist who helped wipe out an entire population in Racoon City and Africa, that's actually fucking hilarious.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Because a black guy is playing the role huh?
Edit: Actually, TMPOC (too much people of color)!

Agree! It’s all transparent when you see these threads posted with these reactions...
While Netflix race swap to erase white male roles on the regular if there wasn't a black role there originally I'm not that fragile, he's a good actor. It's just gonna be really bad fan fiction garbage, while REs story is bad any implication of Wesker offspring ever sounds desperate like in RE6. Also Netflix just churn out stuff so fast for people to consume there's hardly any real quality, so....

Rest

Oh. Its cause hes black.
My ignore list got a surprisingly big increase in this thread. Every person who's upset that a pretend white person is going to be a pretend black person is completely transparent as to why that is.

As to Reddick's acting, he can mix menace, confidence, and absurdity, which is not something I've seen many actors do. The list of actors working today who are better than he is isn't long. Anyone whose only complaint is that he's black is only robbing themself.

Rest

It's nice to see that the only representation black people can get are white characters palette swapped like fucking Mortal Kombat ninjas.

Why ever utilize all the existing black characters and superheroes when you can just make a white character black. People applaud this stupidity like it's a good thing, apparently the only good black character is a white person with brown skin.
You seem to have strong feelings about maintaining the whiteness of white people who don't actually exist. Why is that, exactly?

Dacon

Banned
You seem to have strong feelings about maintaining the whiteness of white people who don't actually exist. Why is that, exactly?

I push back against any kind of arbitrary changes made to existing characters in bad faith. The same reasons I was pissed that Bane and Ras Al Ghul were white in Nolan's Batman films.

So you can fuck right off with your whiteness bullshit. You seem to be real invested in erasing the whiteness of white people who don't actually exist. Why is THAT, exactly?

Soodanim

My first bought when I saw the cast was “This has absolutely nothing to do with Resident Evil, no reason to watch this.” I had forgotten about the (alleged?) script leaks about the Wesker twins that had some really bad stuff in. Now I definitely have no reason to watch it.
If you’re just on a wind up, good luck.
If you genuinely took that away from what’s being said, you have a problem and need to work on your comprehension.

Furlong

Banned
There hasn't been a good movie with a predominantly black cast since Mississippi Burning, so the chances of this being good are slim to none.

Rest

I push back against any kind of arbitrary changes made to existing characters in bad faith. The same reasons I was pissed that Bane and Ras Al Ghul were white in Nolan's Batman films.

So you can fuck right off with your whiteness bullshit. You seem to be real invested in erasing the whiteness of white people who don't actually exist. Why is THAT, exactly?
Please justify your assertion of bad faith.

Where do you see me expressing any desire for white characters to no longer be white? My posts is this thread have indicated that I accept the change of race when race is not material to the character or plot. If you think otherwise, please point out where you think I said anything different.

Dacon

Banned
Please justify your assertion of bad faith.

Where do you see me expressing any desire for white characters to no longer be white? My posts is this thread have indicated that I accept the change of race when race is not material to the character or plot. If you think otherwise, please point out where you think I said anything different.

I don't need to justify anything, and you spending all your time in this thread launching drive by attacks on anyone who has a problem with this crap is more than evidence enough.

You're literally sitting here trying to assert that the only reason people don't like this is racism, and that's fucking moronic.

There hasn't been a good movie with a predominantly black cast since Mississippi Burning, so the chances of this being good are slim to none.

Death at a Funeral is pretty good though.

Last edited:

Rest

I don't need to justify anything, and you spending all your time in this thread launching drive by attacks on anyone who has a problem with this crap is more than evidence enough.

You're literally sitting here trying to assert that the only reason people don't like this is racism, and that's fucking moronic.
lol

xrnzaaas

I wouldn't be surprised. He's been one of the best parts of Bosch, which wrapped it's final season. Man needs to work.
I haven't followed Reddick's entire career, but I think he's best at playing positive leaders, not ubervillains. He's doing that in Bosch and he's been doing that in Fringe for many years as well.

Azurro

Banned
My ignore list got a surprisingly big increase in this thread. Every person who's upset that a pretend white person is going to be a pretend black person is completely transparent as to why that is.

As to Reddick's acting, he can mix menace, confidence, and absurdity, which is not something I've seen many actors do. The list of actors working today who are better than he is isn't long. Anyone whose only complaint is that he's black is only robbing themself.

This is such a false argument. We human beings are visual creatures, most of our communication is made visually, even in a conversation. How a character looks absolutely matters, that visual image triggers associations with sounds, events, way of acting, etc. If you change any character to a different race, you instantly change the character, that's obvious.

And no, the only complaint isn't who plays Wesker, look at that cast, they obviously thought the franchise didn't have enough women to represent all the colors and the 20 made up genders, so they went into the future to be able to do that.

Lance Reddick is awesome and could have been an Umbrella executive or some shit like that. But nooooo, they instead went full retard.

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned

Established characters, fictional or not, maintain continuity and are part of their story and changing them is often low effort. It applies to location, physical and personality attributes, buildings, sidekicks, animals, vehicles etc. The same goes for books and films, there is a vision in place for all of that.

As for your attempt to suggest racist views held by people, good luck with that. You have been called out for your lazy argument and missing the point. Maybe give your posting a Rest.

Top Bottom