• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 3 remake is still a dope game despite its flaws

cireza

I enjoy resource management in my survival horror games and exploring in order find secrets doors and useful items.
To be more precise, you enjoy exploring in order find secrets doors and useful items and not being to pick them up until you have backtracked to the latest storage chest, to make room in your inventory, and then made the route again to finally be able to pick the useful item ;)

But I get the point. To each its own.

I feel bad, because whoever sold you on Resident Evil 3 Remake, clearly didn't do a good enough job of describing survival horror to you and made you waste your time and money.
At stated previously I actually loved the game. So no money was wasted. Bought a RE2R + RE3R pack for something like 20 or 30$.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
To be more precise, you enjoy exploring in order find secrets doors and useful items and not being to pick them up until you have backtracked to the latest storage chest, to make room in your inventory, and then made the route again to finally be able to pick the useful item ;)
That’s all part of inventory management, for example I never let my inventory be full, I only carry one big gun and one small gun and one health, I put rest to storage, i will try to survive with items I have until I reach next chapter.

I don’t mind backtracking in order access area that I couldn’t before, to me that’s part of the fun.

But I get the point. To each its own.
You're approaching the genre like an RPG or a 2000s era collectathon platformer. Think of it like point-to-point runs. You manage your inventory for what's needed until you get to the next storage box/save room to do the next run to the next room. The rooms are usually spaced out well enough to the point where you don't need to pack a full bag of weapons and ammo to get to the next one. You're not meant to fight every single zombie and sometimes it's okay to run. You would also leave certain consumable items on the ground or where you found them because of the fact that you'll be backtracking as a primary part of the game, so that random herb on the ground will come in handy when you return to the area later.

It's a lot like those games with limited inventory where you have a home base, you go out and gather what you can until you reach a set safe point, and then come back to base with what you have, like Zombi or Let it Die. There's a flow to it that can be fun yet tense when approached correctly. It's why people really want a remake or sequel of Resident Evil Outbreak.

Last edited:
way too much cut content, but i enjoyed my time with it (bought on sale).
You manage your inventory for what's needed until you get to the next storage box/save room to do the next run to the next room.
that's the way.
fun trying to guess what's the best inventory for what's up ahead.
and i always try to choose an inventory that's as lean as possible, because i like to pick up almost everything as i go.
choosing a lean inventory also facilitates taking the game at slow pace, which i prefer because its fun to admire the drafix and keep an eye out for secrets.

killatopak

RE3 is my favorite game. It’s hard to see how it turned out in the remake but I still enjoyed it and platinumed in nonetheless.

Killer8

RE3 Remake seems to get an inordinate amount of criticism for its cut content while people just seem to overlook the cuts and changes in the RE2 and RE4 remakes. As far as remakes go, they are each guilty of cutting and changing things found in the originals. I just find it funny that people will often trot out these very detailed lists of everything missing from RE3 Remake, when it's as easy to make similar lists for the other remakes too. RE2 remake completely botched the A/B scenario system for example. RE4 remake is missing

the U3 boss fight

which was a much more iconic fight than Gravedigger ever was - yet not much noise is being made about that.

What i'm saying doesn't really excuse any of it, but it's odd nonetheless that the other remakes essentially get a free pass and massive online adoration yet RE3 remake gets mercilessly shit on. There is also a lot of confusion about the remake being 'too short', which is a criticism I think people get confused with it having cut content. A playthrough of the original RE3 and the remake will clock in at within 1/2 an hour of each other according to HowLongToBeat. Hardly worth making a big deal about.

Last edited:

Madflavor

RE3 Remake seems to get an inordinate amount of criticism for its cut content while people just seem to overlook the cuts and changes in the RE2 and RE4 remakes. As far as remakes go, they are each guilty of cutting and changing things found in the originals. I just find it funny that people will often trot out these very detailed lists of everything missing from RE3 Remake, when it's as easy to make similar lists for the other remakes too. RE2 remake completely botched the A/B scenario system for example. RE4 remake is missing

Nobody overlooked RE2R and RE4R's cuts. In fact the loss of Scenario A/B was a point of contention when RE2R was released. It's just that in comparison to RE3R's cuts, they weren't as bad. RE3R on the other hand was absolutely gutted from it's content from the Original, to the point where I think it's disingenuous to even call it a Remake. It's like an abridged version of the events of that game.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I really appreciated the games simplicity. Since I haven't bothered to learn Resident Evil 2 or 3 remake inside out I'd be more inclined to revisit 3 for my next playthrough. Resident Evil 2 is the better game by a wide margin, but Resident Evil 3 is a very easy to get to grips with for a fast playthrough.

While this is not a perfect game by any means, it did some things right.

Here's what I believe. On its own it's a very good game. Taking into consideration that it's a remake of a classic, it's a bad game

Elios83

It's like a good Resident Evil movie made into a game, length is almost the same as well :messenger_grinning_sweat:
It was not the 1:1 remake fans wanted but it still was a good ride.

Banned
The shooting mechanics just feel tighter than in RE2 or even RE4 and it makes shooting zombies more enjoyable. Therefore, from a gameplay perspective the game is just more fun to play.

it is kinda crazy how much better REmake 3 feels to play compared to REmake 4...
even simple things like the quick turn in REmake 3 feel like 100 times better. you can hit B and any direction and you will quickturn to that direction... everything feels so much tighter.

Leon's controls are BY FAR the biggest issue with REmake 4, he feels so unresponsive it's crazy, not only in comparison to REmake 3, but also to the og RE4, which has the tightest controls of all RE games, it's instant response to all your inputs.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Definitely a dope game due to the gameplay and overall vibe but man, just way too linear and too much cut content.

Worst part of 3make is what could have been because what's there is damn good. I wish that 4chan Director's Cut fake rumor was true.

brenobnfm

It was the GOTY that year, just because it wasn't as good as RE2 doesn't mean it wasn't better than everything else. And it was.

cireza

You're approaching the genre like an RPG or a 2000s era collectathon platformer. Think of it like point-to-point runs. You manage your inventory for what's needed until you get to the next storage box/save room to do the next run to the next room. The rooms are usually spaced out well enough to the point where you don't need to pack a full bag of weapons and ammo to get to the next one. You're not meant to fight every single zombie and sometimes it's okay to run. You would also leave certain consumable items on the ground or where you found them because of the fact that you'll be backtracking as a primary part of the game, so that random herb on the ground will come in handy when you return to the area later.

It's a lot like those games with limited inventory where you have a home base, you go out and gather what you can until you reach a set safe point, and then come back to base with what you have, like Zombi or Let it Die. There's a flow to it that can be fun yet tense when approached correctly. It's why people really want a remake or sequel of Resident Evil Outbreak.
I know all of this very well as I started playing these games with the first RE on Saturn. I simply never found this aspect enjoyable. Having very few ammo, avoiding enemies, having few healing items : all if this is part of surviving without a doubt. And going back to explore new areas is perfectly fine as well.

But having to deal with a ridiculously small inventory and a ton of doors/keys doesn't resonate like this to me. Just let me pick all keys at least.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I don't regret the money I spent on it, but its true name is Wasted Potential: The Official Game Of The Retelling Of A Classic.

I like to think that its failings led to some real reflection before approaching 4R, and that is some consolation. I'm not far into it, but so far they've really put the effort in. At this point in 3R it felt like the part that the game should have been was already over, and exploration/choice had given way to a single pathway. 4R doesn't yet feel like the antithesis of 4.

John_Ryder

Kudos for the positive thread OP. And yes, the game is amazing. Hopefully it leads to a Code Veronica remake.
I didn't know the actress who plays Jill streams gameplays as well.

SkylineRKR

Its a dumbed down version of RE3, but as a result the pacing is much better and you're really being on the run here. I beat it over 5 times and have the platinum, because its so fun to replay, once you get the hang of it you beat it in one sitting and perhaps even twice or 3 times on a day.

RE3R isn't smaller than the original, its about the same. But RE2R was bigger, RE3R somewhat isn't. And its missing almost all puzzles. Nemesis has been dumbed down too, he appears in one area as a Nemesis and can't be put down for the time being. For the rest he appears as a required boss battle or scripted chase scenes. The original was built so that he appeared in set areas all over RC, and you could put him down for the remainder of the area in order to explore freely, or just ignore him as he wouldn't magically teleport next to you. In RE3R its almost impossible to loot the area once you've spawned him since he can't be downed for more than like 5 seconds, you need to take everything on forehand. He does drop items, but its far less too; in the original he drops 2 unique weapons, and ultimately an infinity item I think (only on Hard mode and esp. early on it was tough to down him with limited resources).

BbMajor7th

Mechanically and technically it was better than RE2 Remake. The level design is just lousy though, the bosses are kinda meh and some of the encounters are plain frustrating. These were the same issues the original game had too and it was a shame that they didn't have a bit more ambition with the remake.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I don't know at what point we lost all common sense and thought that "surviving in a hostile place" became the synonym of "managing a ridiculously small inventory and constantly backtracking because the 67th door is locked with the 23rd key".

I only have one slot left in my inventory. I am going to put that shotgun in it. Damn, now I have just found a tiny key, but it takes as much space as my shotgun ! I am too dumb to put in one of my sixteen pockets.

Deep Fear on Saturn was excellent in that regard as it wasn't constantly putting the player in front of locked doors, nor forcing you to backtrack because you left the heart key in box (while taking all others, no luck !). Project Zero Maiden of Black Water was also great and you don't get stupid inventory management.

I like all kind of games as long as they are not wasting my time and have good gameplay.
Sorry bro but Deep Fear forces you to backtrack constantly. It doesn't have inventory management, it has "go talk to this person to trigger the next game event.." you are constantly running back and forth between various areas. The entire game is a giant fetch quest.

The appeal of inventory management is that you're constantly checking things and thinking about how to approach situations. It's like a fun mental exercise, at least for me. Ultimately, it's a videogame mechanic, no one expects it to be realistic, it's just a mechanic that some people really enjoy.

GymWolf

Hearing that the whole thing is like 4-5 hours long and the chamge to nemesis keep me the fuck away, maybe when it's gonna be dirty cheap, like 1-2 dollars.

cireza

Sorry bro but Deep Fear forces you to backtrack constantly. It doesn't have inventory management, it has "go talk to this person to trigger the next game event.." you are constantly running back and forth between various areas. The entire game is a giant fetch quest.
Of course, but you don't the annoyance that comes with backtracking because you don't have the right key/crank or no more room in your inventory.

it's just a mechanic that some people really enjoy.
And that's perfectly fine.

Impotaku

While not the heady heights of the 2nd remake I found 3 really enjoyable. The fact it’s short is because it’s designed to be played through many times all the stuff you unlock requires those challenge points from doing various stuff in your playthrough making additional run enjoyable as you bring in new weapons to wreck nemesis with I always love trying to unlock all the extra stuff in these games. The first 3 are my faves as the story is still traditional bioweapon stuff before it starts getting weird with parasites and supernatural stuff in later games.

Mr Hyde

I enjoyed it for all its flaws, but it´s the weakest out of the remakes, but that is because the original source material, Nemesis, is the weakest RE overall. So it checks out that the remake is underwhelming. At least RE3 remake had cool set pieces, a bad ass Jill and spectacular action whereas RE3 Nemesis on Playstation had fuck all to show for. What a disappointment after the masterful RE2. Good thing Capcom bounced back with Code: Veronica and RE4.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
I'm on a roll after completing RE4, so I figured I'm gonna go back to one of the earlier games to get my fix of Resident Evil.

But the one that I gravitate towards the most every time I'm thinking about replaying one of the RE:engine games, I go for RE3. I've been thinking about why is that, and I think it's because of the following reasons:
  1. Jill Valentine
    She's is my favorite character in the series, hands down. And this version in particular is pretty badass and an overall good character. Great updated design (honestly I was getting tired of seeing Julia Voth all the time, never was a fan of hers), good voice acting, decent writing. She kicks ass and she's likeable but also doesn't just shrug off all the abuse that she's taking throughout the game which humanizes her a lot. A great example of a good female lead in a video game.
  2. Carlos
    Yeah the new hairdo looks stupid but I also like him as a character, and he has a pretty good chemistry with Jill.
  3. Nemesis
    At least the first couple of stages, before he turns into a dog thing and you fight him twice in a recycled boss fight. I nearly shat myself during that whole opening sequence it was so awesome. And once he's running lose around town and you have to avoid him in gameplay, he really feels menacing ike he did in the original... but again, at least until he mutates into a giant dog.
  4. Scripted set pieces
    It's pure spectacle but they're just so well made that I can't help but to enjoy the hell out of them, they're just exciting and tense and the visuals are great.
  5. Optimized combat
    I like the more action oriented approach and the addition of dodge move with perfect dodge slow-mo. The shooting mechanics just feel tighter than in RE2 or even RE4 and it makes shooting zombies more enjoyable. Therefore, from a gameplay perspective the game is just more fun to play.
Now, obviously, there's a lot of asterisks to this. It's not a perfect game and it sucks that they ditched some of the more iconinc moments and locations from the original. But what's in there is still very enjoyable to play.
The real shock is RE4R not having the free dodge mechanic since it's about the same focus on combat.

Kev Kev

RE3 Remake is more fun than RE2 Remake. The dodge alone makes combat far more enjoyable, and the boss fights are miles better than the garbage boss fights in RE2 Remake.

I'm okay with it being shorter because it's just a better game. The A and B scenario in RE2 Remake was really only different in the beginning, but everything after the first 30 minutes is the same. Don't get me wrong, I love RE2 Remake but they perfected the formula with RE3 Remake, and it's so much fun to replay that it didn't need to be any longer.

Oh and the extra modes in RE2 Remake were terrible, so I don't factor those in when comparing the two. Mercenaries was fun for a couple hours on RE3 original, but I didn't miss it at all in the Remake. I love both games but RE3 Remake just edges out 2, for me.

I really enjoyed all three hours of it lol. That's basically the main issue with the game. It needed to be at least twice as long. I wouldn't have minded if they completely changed the Clock Tower as long as it was there. It is like removing the castle from Resident Evil 4. It felt like DLC.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I really enjoyed all three hours of it lol.
I often wonder how do people even manage to beat games that fast. I played through it like three times and the fastest it ever took me to finish it was just over 7 hours and that's probably not counting the cutscenes or restarts because the overall clock on Steam or PS5 menu is closer to 10.

It really makes you sound like you're not even giving the game proper attention and just run past everything on maximum speed, and I can't even take any opinion that you have about the game seriously.

Also, guess what, it also took me almost the same amount of time to play a single campaign run of Resident Evil 2 but I understand why people didn't bitch about it there because it also had B stories and two characters, even though a lot of the stuff was recycled anyway throughout each of those campaigns.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
The real shock is RE4R not having the free dodge mechanic since it's about the same focus on combat.
Yeah, that was really baffling. Idk if they though that it would make the game too easy or what but it would really be a godsend during certain boss fights. Or even with regular enemies when they rush you and all you can do is to awkwardly break into a light jog in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I really enjoyed all three hours of it lol.
karl-pilkington-bullshit.gif

You didn't beat the game your first time in 3 hours buddy.

Last edited:
I know all of this very well as I started playing these games with the first RE on Saturn. I simply never found this aspect enjoyable. Having very few ammo, avoiding enemies, having few healing items : all if this is part of surviving without a doubt. And going back to explore new areas is perfectly fine as well.

But having to deal with a ridiculously small inventory and a ton of doors/keys doesn't resonate like this to me. Just let me pick all keys at least.

I'm curious, what makes you continue to give RE games a chance knowing this is the case? Does the good outweigh what you consider to be the bad?

brian0057

Banned
For those that want good Survival Horror that isn't a remake.
Play this masterpiece.
It's the best Silent Hill game Bloober will never make and the best classic Resident Evil since REmake.

OUGEI5r.jpg

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
The game plays good but lacks game to play and lacks content. She has more costumes in Resistance than she does in RE3. Trash.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It was a cheap 20 dollar expansion, not a full game. The fact that they managed to neuter and already short game (OG RE3 was *not* a long experience) still baffles me. We need a remake of hte remake.

cireza

I'm curious, what makes you continue to give RE games a chance knowing this is the case? Does the good outweigh what you consider to be the bad?
I actually gave up with the series after RE4 on GC (which I did enjoy though lol, but the game a bit too long for its own good though).

I simply tried RE2R and RE3R because there was a sale (both games digital for 30$ maybe ?) and they had good feedback from players. RE2R did annoy me quite a bit (the constant back and forth, with these locked doors and the big guy running around etc...), but I completed it nonetheless. I loved every bit of RE3R however, and started a new game immediately after completing the first run, and also completed it in harder difficulty mode. It was super fun.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I played the game several times and still can't see the flaws. If anything, it is much more enjoyable than RE2R which stayed a bit close to the original with its stupid locked doors everywhere. I think that this is my favorite RE game in the end. I simply can't deal with the inventory and constant backtracking because of keys/locked doors/no room in inventory. In RE3R, it felt much less annoying than in the other games.

I will probably buy RE4R at some point, when it will be cheaper.
I like that RE2R is true to the original over RE3R cutting out a lot of stuff and that Mr. X and Nemesis seem to have swapped places in how terrifying they are.

RE3R good point is that the gameplay is much better then RE2R but that's all it has going for it. RE3R is primarily a straight line whereas RE2R rewards you for learning the layout of the Police Station and how to approach different situations.

The Inventory thing I agree with since it adds artificial difficulty. It's why I tend to enjoy Luigi's Mansion more overall.

Like you can still have to manage inventory but just let key items not take up space.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It was good because it was built on the foundation of RE2(2019)
But I'd rather Hirabayashi's team handled it.
They seem to get it, and why wouldn't they they are made up of the original REmake/0/RE4 teams as well as members who worked on the originals.
And although they did work on RE6( so did everyone at Capcom, they was responsible for Leon's & Ada's Campaign, which imo was better and more like OG RE)
I think it would have been another fantastic remake if they did.

SkylineRKR

Yeah, that was really baffling. Idk if they though that it would make the game too easy or what but it would really be a godsend during certain boss fights. Or even with regular enemies when they rush you and all you can do is to awkwardly break into a light jog in the opposite direction.

The original RE4 didn't have it either, and the original RE3 did. While you can move and shoot now, I think they didn't want to break the core mechanics. In RE4 you are supposed to hit certain body parts so enemies flinch. Also I think on top of the knife being a parry now, an evade roll might've been too much.

Top Bottom