• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 remake the best remake ever?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I got a bit bored when I got to the island. In that sense, it's very much in keeping with the original. So, yeah. Good work.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Nah. I still think that the original did a lot of things better. A perfect remake should be an improvement in every way, to the point where the original becomes obsolete. And while RE4 remake is extremely good, I'd still be willing to go back to playing the original in a heartbeat, because the remake is missing some of the things that made the original special.

I believe that RE1 came much closer to being a perfect remake because it still retains the same general gameplay style (instead of being a third person shooter reimagining like RE2 and RE3) while improving the experience in every way - from improved graphics and sound to redesigned gameplay and introducing new interesting mechanics to make the experience feel even more fresh.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I do love RE4 Remake and it joins the conversation of fantastic remakes. I do still think REmake is the best ever. RE2make and Dead Space are also better than RE4make in my opinion too. Then there's games like Metroid Zero Mission and funnily enough I really enjoyed Twin Snakes and Links Awakening.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Shouldnt be a problem, i am very used to playing the old DMC games which i assume should feel similar to this.
Tank controls work in a way where (left stick) X axis = turn and Y axis = move forward/backward. However, the HD remasters of RE1 Remake and RE:0 do have an alternate control scheme that works much like movement controls in Devil May Cry, where your character will immediately go in the direction where you push the stick.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I thought the demo was pretty bad. The controls, responsiveness, visual clarity, art style, audio all seemed a lot better in the original. As far as RE remakes, I'd put 1 and 2 over this for sure. Probably even 3. At least 3 doesn't have painted yellow arrows and guideposts to tell you where to go because the art design is so muddy. This might be the worst RE remake actually since I will still play the original.

Last edited:

killatopak

I just replayed it like minutes ago. It is on the contender despite my numerous nitpicks about it. It’s up there with REmake.

Some of my nitpicks even got resolved once I replayed. Some story bits that I thought wasn’t there actually got in. With the addition of Separate Ways, it sets up RE5 a lot better.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
RE2 Remake is still better IMO.

Best remake overall though ? Probably not. Something like even the most recent star ocean 2 remake does so much to improve over the original game to breathe life into it for new audiences and fans of the original.

Don’t get me wrong though ; RE4 Remake is amazing.

I played through og re4 2 times in January, so it is still pretty fresh. It is still one of the goats, but the RE4 remake is absolutely amazing. I like it more than the re1 remake.

The tweaks to the pacing are wonderful. The small changes peppered in are amazing. The tweaks to certain characters stories are absolutely phenomenal. I cant say it is better than the original, but I will probably alternate between original and remake in my repeated playthoughs of the game.

One shit thing about the remake is that basically you have to hold the sprint button down 100% of the time or the movement is shit. It is an extremely stupid control choice to have made, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Rran

One nitpick I have with the game that I rarely see anyone else mention is that the economy isn't quite as addictive. Firepower is by far the most important attribute to upgrade now that you can move while reloading, and they even axed the "topping off" mechanic from upgrading Capacity which made for a lot of fun decision-making (running around with empty guns in hopes for getting a free refill at the next merchant was good risk/reward gameplay).
I only played the demo. But was I crazy thinking original controlled more fluidly and snappier?
Nah, that's my main issue with RE4make. Perhaps in an effort to make his movements more believable, Leon has quite a bit of "realistic" transitional animation between moves and he feels pretty slippery as a result; several of his actions have a "buffer" period. I don't think this is inherently a bad thing but coupled with the faster and more aggressive enemies, it can lead to some frustrating moments in the game. I think it worked fine in RE2make because of the lower number of baddies.
One shit thing about the remake is that basically you have to hold the sprint button down 100% of the time or the movement is shit. It is an extremely stupid control choice to have made, but it is what it is.
I set the run button to toggle and never looked back.

Arachnid

Yep, though that could also go to RE1. Pretty wild both the best remakes ever made are all RE (2 is also easily third place). Way to go Capcom

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
It is the best Remake.

And I’m saying this as someone who considered the original RE4 (which I played countless times on virtually every platform it was ever released) as best game ever made for the largest part of my life.

90% of the people in here saying it’s not the better Remake didn’t like RE4 in the first place.

So if you didn't like OG RE4 in the first place you won't think it's the best remake and if you thought OG RE4 was the best game of all time, you will?

I don't think Resident Evil was the best game of all time but I think the remake is easily the best remake so far and I loved RE4.

Does that make my opinion more valid or less? 🤔

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I am a Resident Evil 4 master. I have played the game on my original platinum gamecube all the way through a couple of times, Then played it again on my xbox, 360, Then played it again on My Wii, then I just recently played through it again in VR on the Quest 2. Needless to say, I have a little experience with the game. I have just recently played through the remake and only tried it because it was a birthday gift. I was going to pass on this because I believed it was some lazy cash grab releasing this game yet again. Holy shit I was wrong.

*Graphics are awesome. They took this old game and really put some modern shine on it. The lighting is just superb along with the attention to detail. Shadows bouncing off the wall, beautiful reflecitons in room just filled with detail, I felt no drop in framerate or slowdown. The character models are also top notch. Monsters and baddies are super high detailed

*Gameplay has been upgraded. It feels familiar yet new. Maybe it's because I am playing it at 60fps for the first time but it feels like a different game. Weapons have weight, the Dualsense controllers trigger button retention makes guns feel different. Animation has been greatly improved. Its not perfect but the game feels fantastic.

*Sound is also superb: Great music along with creepy sound effects. Voice acting has also been improved dramatically. Just awesome.

*Some good quality of life changes: Some items and missions have been changed. Some things feel much better and flow better with the game.

Kudos to Capcom and the team that made this remake. They clearly cared about the quality of their work and put a ton of detail in the game. My favorite modern remake so far.
It's a hard pass from me dog especially after reading your post.

Last edited:

Gojiira

All the people saying Twin Snakes 🤢 Yes redundant gameplay additions that trivialise the gameplay sure is a improvement! Just fucking no, awful remake with bad voice acting, terrible music changes and godawful direction that totally changed the tone and atmosphere of the game. Fucking gross…

Best remake is probably RE1, it has the most positive changes and set the bar going forward. I think I prefer REmake 2 though since it did more overall, and is the basis going forward for Capcom.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
So if you didn't like OG RE4 in the first place you won't think it's the best remake and if you thought OG RE4 was the best game of all time, you will?

I don't think Resident Evil was the best game of all time but I think the remake is easily the best remake so far and I loved RE4.

Does that make my opinion more valid or less? 🤔
Yes. Annoying “RE is no more horror since RE4” bitch about the game ever chance they get.

Elysium44

Banned
Yes. Annoying “RE is no more horror since RE4” bitch about the game ever chance they get.

A lot of people who dislike RE4 Remake the most are the biggest fans of the OG RE4 and most likely to notice the many ways in which the remake is worse. I didn't like RE1 remake but I don't say that is a bad game, I think it's very well done for what it is but it just isn't my thing. Third person survival horror on the other hand very much is my thing, and RE4 remake imo is a bad game in its own right as well as a very bad remake of RE4. The only thing going for it is the graphics are more up to date, although aesthetically I still prefer the original.

Basically, don't try and pigeonhole people as it will often be mistaken.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
May be a dumb answer, but I really thought the Tony Hawk 1+2 remake was essentially perfect. It managed to recapture everything I loved about the original games while improving almost every single aspect. I feel like it was pretty universally praised for that.

MiguelItUp

It's all opinionated. I think the RE4 Remake is definitely great, as is the RE2 Remake. As is the OG RE1 Remake on GC. Different strokes for different folks, but there's a lot of really good ones out there, and it's awesome to see.

The Dead Space remake was great too, I just wish they were able to add even more meat to it.

I'm one of the few that want to see RE1 get the over the shoulder + RE engine treatment. But the OG RE1 Remake is still incredibly impressive. For as old as it is, it still holds up, and that says a LOT.

GymWolf

All the people saying Twin Snakes 🤢 Yes redundant gameplay additions that trivialise the gameplay sure is a improvement! Just fucking no, awful remake with bad voice acting, terrible music changes and godawful direction that totally changed the tone and atmosphere of the game. Fucking gross…

Best remake is probably RE1, it has the most positive changes and set the bar going forward. I think I prefer REmake 2 though since it did more overall, and is the basis going forward for Capcom.
I basically bought a gc for twin snake because mgs1 was my favourite game ever and i still have to recover from that...

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
A lot of people who dislike RE4 Remake the most are the biggest fans of the OG RE4 and most likely to notice the many ways in which the remake is worse. I didn't like RE1 remake but I don't say that is a bad game, I think it's very well done for what it is but it just isn't my thing. Third person survival horror on the other hand very much is my thing, and RE4 remake imo is a bad game in its own right as well as a very bad remake of RE4. The only thing going for it is the graphics are more up to date, although aesthetically I still prefer the original.

Basically, don't try and pigeonhole people as it will often be mistaken.
It’s one thing to say that you don’t like the game because it has a different style, it’s another to say it’s a worse Remake. The only thing we can debate about in 4 vs. Remake it’s the general style and story. I admit I like the one of the original better as well.

Everything else? Gooby please. Capcom improved upon every single gameplay mechanic, improved evey single level and even expanded stuff. Yes, some stuff was cut but then again, Capcom went back and added this with the DLC.

Coming here and saying the Remake ain’t the better game with a straight face is stupid as hell. It just ain’t. If you like it better because of its style, fine, but that doesn’t make it the better day because the OG does literally nothing better than the Remake.

So please, can we make some sense again here?

No because RE4 was almost perfect.
Don't try to remake a symphony, one more or less note and you can ruin a experience.

If u separate to 2 different entities, yes RE4R is a good game!

Last edited:
Meanwhile on the other forum :messenger_grinning_sweat: .

image.png

Elysium44

Banned
It’s one thing to say that you don’t like the game because it has a different style, it’s another to say it’s a worse Remake. The only thing we can debate about in 4 vs. Remake it’s the general style and story. I admit I like the one of the original better as well.

Everything else? Gooby please. Capcom improved upon every single gameplay mechanic, improved evey single level and even expanded stuff. Yes, some stuff was cut but then again, Capcom went back and added this with the DLC.

Coming here and saying the Remake ain’t the better game with a straight face is stupid as hell. It just ain’t. If you like it better because of its style, fine, but that doesn’t make it the better day because the OG does literally nothing better than the Remake.

So please, can we make some sense again here?

The music and voice acting are weak compared to the original. The (English language) voice acting is some of the worst I've ever heard anywhere, in any form of entertainment media.

The gameplay of the original was balanced perfectly, now Leon slides and stumbles around like a drunk on roller skates. Tedious busywork chores have been added like crafting ammo and doing tasks for the merchant (who is also extremely badly voice acted and has verbal diarrhea, he never shuts up and keeps repeating the same handful of lines which aren't even funny the first time) to get rewards so you can level up the weapons faster. Also Capcom cynically added DLC to enable you to level up quicker with better drop rates, making people with only the base game at a disadvantage.

The OG has charismatic characters, great atmosphere and tight, perfectly balanced gameplay. Remake looks quite good, I give it that credit. It also runs great on my PC. That's the only good thing I can say about it.

The game has rough edges everywhere. Why can't you combine herbs any more? You can no longer just place a herb of one colour onto another to combine them but instead have to 'craft' them by holding down a button? Why when I load the game do I get a progress bar, and then when it has loaded instead of going into the game, it says 'continue' and ANOTHER progress bar before it loads? But if I press A to continue, it lets me? Why this extra step? Also when 'continue' and the A prompt first appear, if you press A 'too fast' it doesn't register. You have to wait one second before it will pay attention to the fact you pressed it.

Oh yeah, another thing: you can no longer control Ashley properly. In the original you could tell her, wait or come with me. She always did exactly what you asked her. Now she still follows you even if you ask her to stay put. She either follows closely or at a slight distance but you can't make her stay put (except in the few places where she can hide in a closet). This is another example of a clear downgrade over the original. You need to have control over her because you are directly responsible for her safety but the game makes it hit and miss. It's funny, her character in remake was praised for being tougher but she's completely useless - she will sit squatting in the middle of enemies and takes damage rather than following me and running away from the enemies.

Last edited:

Gojiira

I basically bought a gc for twin snake because mgs1 was my favourite game ever and i still have to recover from that...
Exactly, MGS1 is my fave game of all time hands down, and that remake was dogshit…Awful awful choice and prevented a real remake from surfacing 😩

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
The problem is the first game is almost perfect. I think once the entire FFVII remake series is done, that could end up being the best, but we'll wait and see.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The problem is the first game is almost perfect. I think once the entire FFVII remake series is done, that could end up being the best, but we'll wait and see.
I LOVE FFVII Remake and highly looking forward to Rebirth but those games are not remakes. Even devs themselves conformed it and even in one of their interview they said they were excited to reveal why they call the first game "remake".

Last edited:
Resident Evil 2 PS1 > Resident Evil GC > Resident Evil 3: Nemesis PS1 > Resident Evil PS1 > Resident Evil 4 GC > Resident Evil: Code Veronica > Resident Evil 0 > everything else with the name Resident Evil in it. 4 Remake doesn't even make the cut, neither do 2 and 3 Remakes.

RaduN

I LOVE FFVII Remake and highly looking forward to Rebirth but those games are not remakes. Even devs themselves conformed it and even in one of their interview they said they were excited to reveal why they call the first game "remake".
But then Re4 Remake is not really a remake either, as it drastically changes the characters and the story, the level design, mechanics, etc.

I think the term "remake" has to have more flexibility, as it can mean a 1:1 remake (SotC) or a, more or less, different game from the original (FF7R, Re4).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
But then Re4 Remake is not really a remake either, as it drastically changes the characters and the story, the level design, mechanics, etc.

I think the term "remake" has to have more flexibility, as it can mean a 1:1 remake (SotC) or a, more or less, different game from the original (FF7R, Re4).
Not really, if you played FFVIIRemake the game is almost secret sequel to OG FFVII and Advent Children, characters remembering past events changing course of the story. RE4R other hand is basically
same as RER in GC, they made changes but still follow same events as the original.

I consider SotC and Demons Souls (2020) same as FFVII Crisis Core Reunion, they dont change anything other than the visuals. In fact Nier Replicant ver 1.22 that just considered "upgrade" did more changes to the story and the gameplay than those two games did.

Last edited:
Top Bottom