• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake mod gives the game fixed camera and tank controls

Draugoth

Gold Member
Created by alphaZomega and uploaded to NexusMods, the RE2R Classic mod allows fans to play the game with fixed camera angles and tank controls like it's 1998 but prettier.

The remake notably used an over-the-shoulder camera view popularised by the original Resident Evil 4, but some fans of the original may have missed its fixed camera.

This mod uses 1700 fixed cameras carefully placed around the game environments to ensure it can be completed in full.

It also reverts to tank-style controls, originally used to ensure a clear sense of direction through shifting camera angles. The controls are customisable in the mod's options. Other tweaks have been made to ensure the mod feels authentic and playable, including auto-aim, laser sights for all weapons, and visual changes to make certain less visible items flash. There's also a 'bend camera to enemy' feature to help with off-screen enemies.

via Eurogamer

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
200.gif

That looks so good and it completely changes how you play the game. I hope they do this for RE3.

I wonder if they would have the courage to try it with RE4 or RE5 🤔

As much of a disease as the notion that new == better
I can't blame you for making that assumption about me, because what I said was vague.

I don't believe that.
What I believe is that a Remake should be it's own thing, and whatever the developers want it to be. Regardless if it's wildly different from the original or not.
If the Remake was done with tank controls and fixed cameras, that shouldn't be an issue. It's what the developers want that matters to me, and I believe should matter to everyone else.

The Original still exists. Unless in situations where it replaces the original, but that's a gaming preservation thing.

If you want tank controls and fixed cameras, you can play the Original, if the Remake not having that ruins it for you, because you are nostalgic towards that.

Or you can use this mod. Which is fine. I still remain with my distaste for nostalgia.
Fixed camera angles have tons of benefits and shouldn't disappear from modern gaming.
Not what I said, but again, can't blame you for making that assumption.

Games with tank controls and fixed cameras should exist.
Play the ones that have them, new or old.
Or mod it in games that don't.
I don't like the latter, but that should be fine.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Looks amazing, wished they dropped something like this on consoles.

I really like the current camera and mechanics of most recent RE games (except maybe RE7 and RE8, they're a different breed), but fixed camera angles and tank controls matches perfectly with survival horror.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Tank controls and fixed camera are objectively worse. A lot of important details are lost and if Capcom did it now then it shows that they are cheap and lazy. As much as I hate RE7 First Person view, I would easily take it over this.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
wtf settings this guy uses. Usual re2 modder lol.
Sharpening all the way up and TAA disabled.
Motherfuckers, TAA in rengine is there to combat the dithering. THE GAME IS MASTERED WITH THEIR TAA IN MIND GOD DAMNIT !!!
I am triggered

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
RE2 remake is pretty good but yeah original is just better. Same for RE3 remake unfortunately... But hey at least RE4 Remake Seperate Ways shits all over the originals.

SomeGit

I don't want to get into the dick measuring contest of which one is better, I really like REmake 2, but it's sad that there isn't a way to play OG RE 2 on modern hardware. REmake 2 is not and should not be a replacement for the original.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Tank controls and fixed camera are objectively worse. A lot of important details are lost and if Capcom did it now then it shows that they are cheap and lazy. As much as I hate RE7 First Person view, I would easily take it over this.
I dont agree with that because I actually played original RE game before RE2R came out and played great in my opinion but the game has to build around it and in RE2R case it just not build for it.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I need this.

Does this mod allow for non tank controls but with this perspective? I love how much more you get to enjoy the environment this way. Game looks even prettier!

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Does it compensate for REmake's zombies becoming bullet sponges after precise aiming was added? That was one of my least favorite aspects of the new game, shooting a zombie in the head repeatedly with no effect.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
RE2 has really stood the test of time as a scenario that can basically be adapted to any mechanical formula and somehow not suck. We've had classic RE2, RE2 inside of RE3, a rail shooter, a tps remake, and now a mod that makes the remake play like the original. They could turn RE2 into a farming Sim and it would kick absolute ass.

Senua

Looks fucking awesome. There's something about those fixed camera angles man I'm telling ya, just finished Silent Hill 2 again and in the mood for this!

Soodanim

Gold Member
hope capcom makes fixed-camera REs w/ prerendered backgrounds in the future.

i want more 3rd person REs too, but dont forget about fixed-camera.
I'm going to be that guy once again and say that reviving Outbreak as a classic style online RE would be incredible. That would easily earn its way into my most played games ever.

I think that this game deserves a second conversation when it comes to how good it looks graphically. The fact that it looks so good that it fits nearly perfectly as mock pre-rendered angles is truly incredible.

Kudos to Capcom for how much work and detail they put into the game.

Top Bottom