• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix announces its Resident Evil series cast. Guess what?

bitbydeath

Gold Member
People are looking at this wrong. Getting the look of the source material right is important.

Game of Thrones, X-Men, MCU etc are popular because of this.

If they cast Carrot Top as Wesker the same issues would apply.

Just like how people have been rightfully complaining about Mark Walhberg as Victor Sullivan.

People want to make this a race issue but that ain’t it.

Dacon

Banned
People are looking at this wrong. Getting the look of the source material right is important.

Just like how people have been rightfully complaining about Mark Walhberg as Victor Sullivan.

The casting of Nate and Sully are both trash in the Uncharted movie imo, but Sully got the worst of it with fucking Marky Mark jfc.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
What? Isaac was fucking terrible. Shitty character, with a moronic storyline with no proper resolution, and no comeuppance for the terrible shit he did. Graham McTavish's voice acting as Dracula was the best part of that show, and the fact that he was criminally underused irritates me.

It's nice to see that the only representation black people can get are white characters palette swapped like fucking Mortal Kombat ninjas.

Why ever utilize all the existing black characters and superheroes when you can just make a white character black. People applaud this stupidity like it's a good thing, apparently the only good black character is a white person with brown skin.

Lance Reddick has been in a lot of bit parts and shit roles recently, my dude deserves better than being cast in a Shitflix original.

EDIT: They fucking cast a black guy as a character who is a eugenics practicing mad scientist who helped wipe out an entire population in Racoon City and Africa, that's actually fucking hilarious.

Heyyy, Dacon long time no see man. How'd you enjoy Resident Evil 8?

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
EDkl8XiW4AIjDPS.jpg

Boss Mog

Wesker is a fictional character and nowhere in his backstory is it particularly relevant that he's white. There's really no reason he can't be played by a black actor. Perhaps the people who cast this series thought he would be best for the role? Maybe he will make a fantastic Wesker. You don't know as you have not seen the series.
Characters that have existing designs should always be cast to match the creator's design PERIOD. It's the least you can do to show respect to the creator's vision. The guy is a good actor but casting him is clearly just virtue signaling on Netflix's part but hey, this isn't surprising, it's par for the course in 2021. What's tiresome though is people trying to justify it as anything else.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Good game, goes off the rails a bit too much to the point where shit is basically magic and theyre trying to explain it with pseudo-science.
Do you think it's a good direction for 9 by them trying to make those creatures science-based? I'm definitely curious to see how far they take it.

SJRB

Gold Member

"If you're disagree with this casting you're a fucking racist" is the general tone, it seems.

99Luffy

Banned
Characters that have existing designs should always be cast to match the creator's design PERIOD. It's the least you can do to show respect to the creator's vision. The guy is a good actor but casting him is clearly just virtue signaling on Netflix's part but hey, this isn't surprising, it's par for the course in 2021. What's tiresome though is people trying to justify it as anything else.
RIP: Every single story thats been localized for the local market.

Look at this racist ass movie with that race bending cast.
156vtyC.png

Boss Mog

RIP: Every single story thats been localized for the local market.

Look at this racist ass movie with that race bending cast.
156vtyC.png
That's a false equivalency and you know it. You're arguing in extremely bad faith here. Is Leo DiCaprio portraying Chan Wing-yan? Is he a Triad member? No, so please stfu with this nonsense. I have no problem with countries localizing foreign films for their market but obviously only the scenario stays the same, the characters are different.

And really the most ridiculous thing here isn't even skin color, it's that Lance Reddick is bald and Wesker's hair style is iconic. Imagine if Joel in the TLOU HBO series didn't have a beard, it'd be disgusting.

99Luffy

Banned
That's a false equivalency and you know it. You're arguing in extremely bad faith here. Is Leo DiCaprio portraying Chan Wing-yan? Is he a Triad member? No, so please stfu with this nonsense. I have no problem with countries localizing foreign films for their market but obviously only the scenario stays the same, the characters are different.

And really the most ridiculous thing here isn't even skin color, it's that Lance Reddick is bald and Wesker's hair style is iconic. Imagine if Joel in the TLOU HBO series didn't have a beard, it'd be disgusting.
"Its not the same" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

No child its worse. That movie is at least based on the real world(as in triads are real). Resident Evil... not so much.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

Who is this audience for? It's not for people who played the games since everything is different. Even non-gamers would know about the previous RE movies with Milla Jojovich

e&e

Banned
You’re tiresome!

99Luffy

Banned
Who is this audience for? It's not for people who played the games since everything is different. Even non-gamers would know about the previous RE movies with Milla Jojovich
Thats like saying the MCU movies arent for fans of the comics since everything is different.

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
This is a dumb argument! MCU does not follow comic canons so your argument fails!

Edit: beaten with above response.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
If you're upset that a person who doesn't exist is going to be black in in a reimagining, you're retarded. Lance Reddick is the mother fucking man.

Exactly. This is a fictional video game character. Anybody upset with this casting should be taking a long, hard look at themselves in the mirror.

Race bending fictional characters isn't new and it's a great way to get some diversity in, what is most the time, a very white heavy fictional world. If this was an historical character, then that could be an issue, or it would be an issue if a fictional minority character was changed to white, but this casting is absolutely fine.

Lance Reddick is an amazing actor and I'm sure he'll play a very menacing Wesker.

Exactly. This is a fictional video game character. Anybody upset with this casting should be taking a long, hard look at themselves in the mirror.

Race bending fictional characters isn't new and it's a great way to get some diversity in, what is most the time, a very white heavy fictional world. If this was an historical character, then that could be an issue, or it would be an issue if a fictional minority character was changed to white, but this casting is absolutely fine.

Lance Reddick is an amazing actor and I'm sure he'll play a very menacing Wesker.

The illogical, inconsistency here is laughable. Saying it’s okay to change characters as long as they’re white, but not if they’re a minority is embarrassingly faulty logic. Adding diversity to entertainment is good, but arguing that it’s okay to change races on a one way street is a disturbing assault on equality and consistency of applying standards. There is a reason companies try to eradicate bias in the interview process through the use of behavioral questions that attempt to treat all candidates as equals.

Dacon

Banned
Do you think it's a good direction for 9 by them trying to make those creatures science-based? I'm definitely curious to see how far they take it.

Tbh I wish they'd have splintered this off into its own franchise and gone full supernatural.

Race bending fictional characters isn't new and it's a great way to get some diversity in, what is most the time, a very white heavy fictional world.

Bullshit, there's hundreds of non-white characters in fiction that outright get ignored in favor of changing the races of white characters. Comic books alone have hundreds of minority heroes that don't get any play, but hey let's make Superman brown.

Even if that weren't the case, where's the excuse for not making NEW minority heroes. The idea that new heroes can't flourish is bullshit, and has been proven bullshit time and again, so what's holding the media and corporations from investing in new heroes, especially in a media environment where people are tired of the same old superhero origin stories being regurgitated over and over.

If this was an historical character, then that could be an issue, or it would be an issue if a fictional minority character was changed to white, but this casting is absolutely fine.

So it's a blatant double standard you wish to employ where, race is only irrelevant when the character is white. Otherwise, it's set in stone.

That's stupid, and honestly insulting to black people. We don't need hand me down versions of existing white characters. Make something new or utilize the hundreds of nonwhite characters out there.

TastyPastry

why is it so wrong to want the characters of a movie that is adapting a game to at least look a little like their video game counterparts? i honestly don't get it. okay this is a netflix show and it's the current year so casting a white lead is a big no no for them, in that case just make a show starring sheva and josh or ada. why is that so hard? why do you have to ruin everything that i love?

dr_octagon

Banned
Nobody is questioning Lance Reddick's capability as an actor.

Lara Croft stands out without needing to swap Indiana Jones. Harley Quinn and Joker. Mrs Marple and Poirot. Fictional or not, the principle is the same.

Harry Potter has 3 very different main characters.They all have the same race but nobody cares because they're unique. Hermoine has characteristics specific to her, she is middle class and her upbringing and personality fits within the context of that particular world.

Why don't we have Christian Bale as Blade, Ken Watanabe as Black Panther, Riz Ahmed as Creed, Jude Law as Mr Miyagi, Samuel L Jackson as Thor, Jamie Foxx as Kirk, Benedict Cumberbatch as Han (Fast and Furious), Amy Adams as Morpheus, Michael Cera as Shaft, Liam Neeson as Pepper Potts and so on.

Nobody advocates Superman or other heroes to be in a wheelchair? It would not impact their powers. Going by the logic of some in this thread, you are against promoting disability.

99Luffy

Banned

Lara Croft stands out without needing to swap Indiana Jones. Harley Quinn and Joker. Mrs Marple and Poirot. Fictional or not, the principle is the same.

Harry Potter has 3 very different main characters.They all have the same race but nobody cares because they're unique. Hermoine has characteristics specific to her, she is middle class and her upbringing and personality fits within the context of that particular world.

Why don't we have Christian Bale as Blade, Ken Watanabe as Black Panther, Riz Ahmed as Creed, Jude Law as Mr Miyagi, Samuel L Jackson as Thor, Jamie Foxx as Kirk, Benedict Cumberbatch as Han (Fast and Furious), Amy Adams as Morpheus, Michael Cera as Shaft, Liam Neeson as Pepper Potts and so on.

Nobody advocates Superman or other heroes to be in a wheelchair? It would not impact their powers. Going by the logic of some in this thread, you are against promoting disability.
Or Samuel Jackson as Nick Fury.

Oops.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

Thats like saying the MCU movies arent for fans of the comics since everything is different.
What are you talking about? Ironman, Captain America, Thor, The Hulk, etc etc are still recognizable from the comics.
This is a dumb argument! MCU does not follow comic canons so your argument fails!

Edit: beaten with above response.
What? Of course they followed canon. Have you not watched the movies?

A better way to get some diversity in - some real diversity (new characters) - would be to adapt Mark Wilkins, Jim Chapman, Sheva Alomar, Ada Wong, or Yoko Suzuki.

Race bending isn't new but it is a lazy, unnecessary attempt at representation when you can adapt one of the already existing non-white characters in a franchise.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
He was white, until he was black.

And it wasnt an issue.

The black Nick is from the Ultimates universe... Not the 616... But yeah. There actually was a bit of a dust-up until folks calmed down. Kinda like they did for a while with Miles.

IDKFA

I'm cool with that, but it has to work both ways:

ZfSdFwJ.jpg

How ignorant. Obama is a real figure. Wesker is some cheesy fictional character from a video game.

A better way to get some diversity in - some real diversity (new characters) - would be to adapt Mark Wilkins, Jim Chapman, Sheva Alomar, Ada Wong, or Yoko Suzuki.

Race bending isn't new but it is a lazy, unnecessary attempt at representation when you can adapt one of the already existing non-white characters in a franchise.

I've only recently changed my views on the subject, but I think race bending traditionally white fictional characters into minority characters should happen more often.

If you look at a lot of popular fictional worlds (Resident Evil, Marvel, DC etc) a majority of the fictional characters are white. They lack diversity and therefore and representation. The best way of fixing it is race bending certain characters.

We could argue that perhaps they should create new characters of different races rather than race bending an established character, but we all now any new character would not be as popular as the established character who's been around for decades.

Another factor here is that Wesker is not defined by the colour of his skin, so it doesn't matter who plays him or if his character has been race swapped.

IDKFA

And Anne Boleyn from Netflix's another show is also a fictional character? And that's just a fresh example.

I did say that race bending historical figures could be problematic. Depends on who the figure is, but can you not see the issue of a white actor playing the role of the first black US President?

People always come up with the same ignorant examples. Ryan Gosling as Obama. Tom Hanks as Nelson Mandela etc, yet fail to see that the race of these two figures was an important aspect of their story and character. Having white actors play them would be hugely problematic and racist AF.

dr_octagon

Banned
Or Samuel Jackson as Nick Fury.

Oops.
not going to bother reading and responding to all the other points? at least zombies have an excuse for being braindead.

people are assuming it's an anti sentiment and against diversity. this is untrue. like i said before, low effort and generates interest by playing on this approach.

McCheese

Historically black people only got cast for black roles, where as white actors got all the default roles where race wasn't important. So there is a much larger pool of characters who were previously white who could be recast as another colour without breaking the story. It's the same for both movies and videogames.

The problem seems to be people don't like change, they want to see the character they know from the game up on the big screen.

There is literally no reason why he had to be Wesker, if he was a new umbrella worker nobody would be kicking up a stink.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
I did say that race bending historical figures could be problematic. Depends on who the figure is, but can you not see the issue of a white actor playing the role of the first black US President?

People always come up with the same ignorant examples. Ryan Gosling as Obama. Tom Hanks as Nelson Mandela etc, yet fail to see that the race of these two figures was an important aspect of their story and character. Having white actors play them would be hugely problematic and racist AF.

But Anne Boleyn - The Queen of England - is okay?

You're demonstrating the double standard perfectly in that you're happy to hand wave the behaviour when it is done in one direction, but against it when done in the other. The problem with your argument is that in order to defend the double standard you need to downplay the value and significance of white historical figures in order to justify your hypocristy and bias. Hand waving the issue of black people playing historical white figures while asking if someone cannot see the issue with white actors playing black characters demonstrates a bias driven blindness on your part - can you not see that?

dr_octagon

Banned
McCheese McCheese I agree and understand disparity and diversity. people will always be averse to change. saying or suggesting everyone is holding racist views is not constructive when that is not the driver for their views.

plenty of talented actors can do a role but i don't like distilling things into race or gender alone. it becomes a marketing exercise and the audience appeal is part of that. black, asian, mixed race etc = high views is a recent pattern and i would question the motivation of those making decisions.

IDKFA

But Anne Boleyn - The Queen of England - is okay?

You're demonstrating the double standard perfectly in that you're happy to hand wave the behaviour when it is done in one direction, but against it when done in the other. The problem with your argument is that in order to defend the double standard you need to downplay the value and significance of white historical figures in order to justify your hypocristy and bias. Hand waving the issue of black people playing historical white figures while asking if someone cannot see the issue with white actors playing black characters demonstrates a bias driven blindness on your part - can you not see that?

No.

In terms of race bending a historical character, or applying colour blind casting, it really does depend on the historical figure in question.

The race of Obama, Mandela and MLK are important aspects of their characters. Having a white actor play them would be racist. It's actually racist to even suggest such casting options.

Anne Boleyn was a queen of England, but her race wasn't an important aspect of her character. In fact, there were a few black people in Europe at the time, so it wouldn't be absolutely crazy for Anne Boleyn to be black.

Do you understand?

dr_octagon

Banned
No.

In terms of race bending a historical character, or applying colour blind casting, it really does depend on the historical figure in question.

The race of Obama, Mandela and MLK are important aspects of their characters. Having a white actor play them would be racist. It's actually racist to even suggest such casting options.

Anne Boleyn was a queen of England, but her race wasn't an important aspect of her character. In fact, there were a few black people in Europe at the time, so it wouldn't be absolutely crazy for Anne Boleyn to be black.

Do you understand?
lol

who gave babylon bee a neogaf account?

Top Bottom