• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Business Update Podcast | OT | SEGABOX |

Just when you think he is done

dy8npRX.png

Not interested
Not interested
Played it in Ghost of Tsushima and looked much nicer than anything they have showed so far
Not interested
Very interested

Personally my PS5 will still only be used for Hell Let Loose and COD

Sounds like you need to change your interests

Joe Biden Deal With It GIF by The Democrats

Gotta admit, all the fanboy drivel I had heard here and on X had me believing at almost 100% that Xbox as a platform was being phased out in the next couple of years and that Microsoft was going full 3rd party.

A lot of people here are very angry it seems that Xbox remains in the console space, and it isn't the green rats 🤣🤣🤣

Kacho

So…. basically a lot of spin, and still no firm answer on whether future Xbox games will be third party or not?
They still plan to have exclusives for now, but the writing is on the wall. The four games that shall not be named are the first wave. In a few months they’ll announce a few more. Etc etc. It will be a gradual transition. They know they’re on borrowed time in the hardware business.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
For MS, thats good, but again, for some owners of the platform, if you want MS games to be exclusive then the future doesn't look great and as I said, meltdowns prove that (even if overboard, but what about next time they announce more games on rival platforms?). First party exclusives to a platform is still a huge draw when it comes to which console you buy.

As for Sony, the situation is different, they dont really have a sales issue (currently), the issue they have is that for 'some' studios AAA costs are spiraling out of control, they need to reel that in. Weirdly, people keep bringing up Spider Man 2 as an example of this but it has easily made back its budget and then some, but for the long term that isn't sustainable, what if it didn't get 7million sales for example? That's an easy fix though (in theory), smaller, less expensive games like Ratchet and Clank, Astrobot, Returnal etc. prove that those games can be made cheaply enough and sell relatively well, they have a lot of franchises they can lean on to create spin off's/smaller experiences also. But yes, more games will come to PC, but they have been doing that for a while so nothing new there (although we may start to see some being released sooner, although I personally don't think day and date, but 6 months rather than 12 months delay is more likely).
Excluding multiplayer titles like Helldivers, I won't believe we will see Day and Date for PC and PS games until I actually see it happen. I am less optimistic about that than I was a week ago.

While I am very bullish on XBox chances to alter their trajectory ( I admire DenchDeckard DenchDeckard and HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 enthusiasm) especially after that conference. They can say they're committing to this and that, but until I see things are actually improving for them I believe they are inevitably headed for a 3rd party path. I saw nothing in that podcast that gave me any confidence that things will improve. Putting DIablo IV on Gamepass is nice, but that game has already sold 10s of millions so it's impact is nullified.
It would be hypocritical to not acknowledge that Sony also has some chinks in the armor as well. If I were Sony the first thing I would do is look into getting gaming budgets under control. $350 millions is absurd for Spiderman 2.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

This threads a weird argument from both sides who seem equally wrong.

Not every xbox game is coming to PS tomorrow and there's no real solid evidence that they will.

But there is also definitely going to be more than 4 games ported over, if I'm willing to bet, halo infinite is absolutely Coming over. A f2p mp shooter with a battle pass. Why wouldn't you port it. But there's also a chance that yes one day all Xbox games could be multiplat.

But there really isn't any solid evidence with that pr fluff one way or another so why even argue whether it's just 4 or all.

Once they make the move of putting any games on PlayStation and Switch why would they stop. It’s four games for now, but I absolutely expect more and even the big ones like Halo and Forza eventually.

This was a dumb presentation though as they let rumors go wild without saying anything. This won’t do anything to save the struggling Xbox and Gamepass. Play anywhere just means why even buy a Xbox console.

Last edited:

Bry0

I had really hoped they would have went a little deeper in upcoming hardware but interesting to see what Xbox meant by this Tweet of new console and controller options this holiday

The meltdowns aren't coming from team green at this point

Curious to see what the "console options" are. I'm looking forward to any updated controllers though. An elite series 3 with haptics or something would be cool.

jwaxeman

I will never understand why folks assumed we were getting another Sega moment. Even when the rumors exploded 2 weeks ago, the folks speaking on all this never even alluded to this scenario.
if they’re really working on the number of ports you claim they are, that would seem fairly alarming for their hardware future and also pretty difficult to hide for much longer, no?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I was dying at how many times Matt Booty and Sarah Bond mentioned cloud saves and shit. Like wtf are we doing here guys?! 😂
It was really bad.

Credit to Tina. She asked a direct question about digital library ownership. Phil understood. He mentioned dual entitlements. But he fully punted on that.

Booty I think is generally honest here. He's just all in on 3rd party and thats all he talked about. Sarah was clueless talking about Gamepass being only on Xbox when its on TVs, cloud and PC. Clueless answering a digital ownership question with cloud derails when digital purchases arent even on cloud. Phil is smart and knows everything but was hiding a lot.

Kacho

It was really bad.

Credit to Tina. She asked a direct question about digital library ownership. Phil understood. He mentioned dual entitlements. But he fully punted on that.

Booty I think is generally honest here. He's just all in on 3rd party and thats all he talked about. Sarah was clueless talking about Gamepass being only on Xbox when its on TVs, cloud and PC. Clueless answering a digital ownership question with cloud derails when digital purchases arent even on cloud. Phil is smart and knows everything but was hiding a lot.
Yep. People love to give Phil shit but there is zero chance Sarah Bond can navigate the unending minefield as well as Phil does. That dude is slick.

if they’re really working on the number of ports you claim they are, that would seem fairly alarming for their hardware future and also pretty difficult to hide for much longer, no?
Some of the ports are in the planning stages still as those teams just aren't in a position to spin up a dev pipeline while they are actively working on releasing the initial project in the next year or two. Porting is a more extensive process than that, especially if the devs haven't shipped on those platforms in awhile, if ever.

That said - I think you're missing out on the fact that a lot of the projects have already been publicly leaked. There are many others which haven't, ofc, and while I admit I haven't kept up with all the titles that have been discussed, I have yet to hear a game be talked about that isn't being planned or ported. I'll also reiterate - I know of games (plural) that are Xbox IP, whose next games have yet to be announced, and whose developers are targeting a day 1 multiplatform release.

FunkMiller

Look at the people in this thread who hung on his every word. Dude rolled a 10 in Charisma, has a +7 bonus, and passes every single speech check.

It’s because he can sound convincing without ever actually having to say anything concrete. Quite a skill, and the reason he’s in charge.

It’s certainly not for his business acumen when it comes to selling games consoles.

Brute

NeoGAF told me that the Xbox would be dead today - but after all that, it was just a nothing burger.

I like Phil Spencer. Many don’t but I do. He’s clearly a passionate guy. And Microsoft are a juggernaut, they’re not going to “do a Sega” anytime soon.

Fanboys are weird. If Xbox does go the same direction as Sega eg. In the bin, then we’re left with PlayStation resting on their laurels as Nintendo do their own thing.

Ashamam

Some of the ports are in the planning stages still as those teams just aren't in a position to spin up a dev pipeline while they are actively working on releasing the initial project in the next year or two. Porting is a more extensive process than that, especially if the devs haven't shipped on those platforms in awhile, if ever.
Thanks for this. The idea that they are testing the waters with 4 and THEN will make the decision on future titles totally ignores the planning that will have to go into those future ports. You might as well rule out anything else appearing multi plat until the next generation. How does that solve the revenue problem?

Why would you bother in the first place, you might as well just accelerate the next generation and try again this time with a good line up of 1st party titles (and no S so those titles could really target high end tech).

That said - I think you're missing out on the fact that a lot of the projects have already been publicly leaked. There are many others which haven't, ofc, and while I admit I haven't kept up with all the titles that have been discussed, I have yet to hear a game be talked about that isn't being planned or ported. I'll also reiterate - I know of games (plural) that are Xbox IP, whose next games have yet to be announced, and whose developers are targeting a day 1 multiplatform release.
What are they? I think everyone’s tired of vague insider info now…

Or can you not say?

FunkMiller

NeoGAF told me that the Xbox would be dead today - but after all that, it was just a nothing burger.

I like Phil Spencer. Many don’t but I do. He’s clearly a passionate guy. And Microsoft are a juggernaut, they’re not going to “do a Sega” anytime soon.

Well done. You’ve swallowed the bullshit once again.

Phil did not confirm that the third party plans were false. That’s the only thing we were all interested in. The rest was fluff.

Thanks for this. The idea that they are testing the waters with 4 and THEN will make the decision on future titles totally ignores the planning that will have to go into those future ports. You might as well rule out anything else appearing multi plat until the next generation. How does that solve the revenue problem?

Why would you bother in the first place, you might as well just accelerate the next generation and try again this time with a good line up of 1st party titles (and no S so those titles could really target high end tech).
The notion that they are 'testing the waters' runs completely counter to who they are as a publishing entity. Microsoft, right now, publishes every Minecraft and Minecraft spinoff on other consoles. They've published Ori and Cuphead on other consoles as well.They also bought two publishers who had loads of financial teams who could hand over the data that literally bears out how well those games sell on other consoles, games they now own.

'Testing the waters' isn't just nonsense PR framing - it literally is an insult to the intelligence of folks looking on. You'd have to believe that they have never published games on other consoles in order to believe this is anything resembling a test.

Papa_Wisdom

Absolutely. I'm seeing lots of meltdowns from the blue team and more salty comments as to why Xbox players aren't upset when they should be. Lol

I did. Just watched it. They were clear as day on everything and spoke facts.

This is what I took away from it

- 4 games will go multiplatform as microsoft wants to either sign off sequels or expand the player base on older community driven titles. This, as with all business decisions will be testing the waters on what they do in the future.

- Xbox is still the best place to play their games and gamepass will get you day one Xbox games

- if you invested in Xbox they promise to do right by their fanbase and will work to ensure your investments are safe. Look at bc work in the past and support across generations.

- new powerful hardware is coming for those that want it.

- They want gamers to be able to play whee they want so more games will probs go to other platforms as they need to.

- console environment ad we know it has stagnated and all companies including AMD expect the console market to shrink. It is simple not sustainable to explore the traditional route of exclusive software on one device.

We will see others share that last sentiment in time.

He absolutely eased all the fears you could have for the future. Blatantly sat there and said if you are invested in Xbox you will be looked after and it's on micorosoft to ensure they do right by their customers.
Great post

I main Xbox and this was just what I expected. The only thing that’s putting me off is their digital push.

I prefer the console, eco system and controller.

I’ve said in previous posts I don’t care what gets ported or when.

I’m only suprised they didn’t announce more then 4 games Like flight simulator and killer Instinct, they would be perfect for PlayStation and switch I think maybe they will be next.

Still debating whether to save up and invest in pc long term, I guess that depends on what there upcoming hardware is. As a Xbox customer I feel safe investing in their eco system.

My middling pc is capable of playing PlayStation PC ports when they come so I’m not missing much.

I get the distinct impression this was a placeholder announcement for the whole third party issue. Kick the can down the road kind of thing. The fact Spencer still couldn’t openly say that future big Xbox games weren’t coming to other platforms was very telling.

Yeah, when you look at it from a superficial level, the 'update' just feels like a reaffirmation of what Xbox has been doing. Like... we couldn't have this update, and their way of doing business 'hasn't really changed.'

But of course, the 'going third-party' issue is very much still at play, especially because of the financial and economic pressures.

Some people feel that this 'update' is a victory, but there were some very key phrases Phil threw up (Xbox health, the lack of growth) that tell us the real reason of this "update".

2024 is going to be a bitch for this industry especially for Xbox.

Audiophile

I mean, if they rebranded "Office" as "Game Pass Productivity" to say that Game Pass now has 400 million subscribers, that wouldn't change the fact that the actual Game Pass - the one with the benefits that make Game Pass what it is - still has around 25M subscribers.
That one got my funny bone.. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

What are they? I think everyone’s tired of vague insider info now…

Or can you not say?
I can't say. I'm not being vague for the sake of it. You think I wanna get other devs or myself in trouble? I already got way more heat than I would've liked for posting on here.

I don't care if anyone does or doesn't believe it. I'm honestly here more to participate in the conversation more than anything. Its not even a thing we should be thinking about - some of these games aren't due for like, 3-5 years, given current game development timelines. By the time some of these titles come out, you'll have long accepted MS' status as a multiplatform publisher. And for the Xbox fans, you'll be playing all those games on new Xbox HW! The way I see it, everybody wins.

IDappa

I was dying at how many times Matt Booty and Sarah Bond mentioned cloud saves and shit. Like wtf are we doing here guys?! 😂
Hinting at their portable next gen console, or am I the only one who thought that?. Big emphasise on cross play, save and buy..

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I can't say. I'm not being vague for the sake of it. You think I wanna get other devs or myself in trouble? I already got way more heat than I would've liked for posting on here.

I don't care if anyone does or doesn't believe it. I'm honestly here more to participate in the conversation more than anything. Its not even a thing we should be thinking about - some of these games aren't due for like, 3-5 years, given current game development timelines. By the time some of these titles come out, you'll have long accepted MS' status as a multiplatform publisher. And for the Xbox fans, you'll be playing all those games on new Xbox HW! The way I see it, everybody wins.
The multiplat games is a given at this point. And its fine. All that matters is the hardware and if its closed ecosystem, and portability of previous digital purchases.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
This could have easily been tweeted out immediately when the rumors started. I don’t see why this needed to wait a week for some weird fireside chat type of thing.

They wanted to convince people that they were still “relevant”. They needed to tell AGAIN what xbox was and what they can deliver. If you still need to convince people after more then 22 years then you look really weak. It wasn’t about telling people about those 4 games. They are afraid of losing a lot of customers, so they needed to make up a whole Pr story around it.

They showed how insecure they are and weak.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Excluding multiplayer titles like Helldivers, I won't believe we will see Day and Date for PC and PS games until I actually see it happen. I am less optimistic about that than I was a week ago.

While I am very bullish on XBox chances to alter their trajectory ( I admire DenchDeckard DenchDeckard and HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 enthusiasm) especially after that conference. They can say they're committing to this and that, but until I see things are actually improving for them I believe they are inevitably headed for a 3rd party path. I saw nothing in that podcast that gave me any confidence that things will improve. Putting DIablo IV on Gamepass is nice, but that game has already sold 10s of millions so it's impact is nullified.
It would be hypocritical to not acknowledge that Sony also has some chinks in the armor as well. If I were Sony the first thing I would do is look into getting gaming budgets under control. $350 millions is absurd for Spiderman 2.
I just do not want Xbox to go away for many reasons and glad to see they are staying in the fight for awhile longer

Not everything is win or die (I know to many here it is) but even being 3rd can be very profitable

Anyhow I am out for a few weeks but will check in from time to time :)

If I dont answer people in game its because I have family house sitting and likely they are gaming

Tyler The Creator Peace GIF

Kacho

Hinting at their portable next gen console, or am I the only one who thought that?. Big emphasise on cross play, save and buy..
I didn’t pick up on any hints regarding a portable system. Felt more like they were just filling the air with everything they could without actually saying anything.

RickMasters

Just when you think he is done

dy8npRX.png

Not interested
Not interested
Played it in Ghost of Tsushima and looked much nicer than anything they have showed so far
Not interested
Very interested

Personally my PS5 will still only be used for Hell Let Loose and COD
If there’s one thing I’d love from Sony it would be GT on PC. Not interested in much else they have put out this gen. Returnal was a blast though. I still give that game a beat every now and again. I think Returnal is the best Sony game I played this gen. Just my own personal taste tho.

Barakov

Gold Member
This was absolutely nothing. Glad I slept through it. This seems like they could've slapped this together in a couple days. Not sure why this took a week or however long it was. The FUD this produced for them just made things worse.

This podcast did more harm than good.

bender

What time is it?

Fanboys are weird. If Xbox does go the same direction as Sega eg. In the bin, then we’re left with PlayStation resting on their laurels as Nintendo do their own thing.
sh2ng.png

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So, you’re happy that the third party issue has been resolved? That big Xbox games won’t be coming to Ps5 in the future?

What? Loool, no i am happy that there is someone talking openly and factually about the state of the industry.

did you watch it? Of course games are going to ps5. MS are going to port games to ps5 and test the waters. Just like sony have been doing with pc. If the sony and nintendo fanbase buys enough copies to warrant porting the games then more games will come to those platforms.

What is simple and great news to all is that xbox will be supported, the platform is still their priority, be it console or pc. More importantly, micorosft knows how important your account is and they have reinforced the message that they will treat their customers with the respect they deserve.

Top Bottom