• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition launching on May 14

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I can't swallow the price on pc due to origin... I kinda wanted to get it now but AGAIN my origin account was compromised so I AGAIN had to reset password, solve 30 fucking captchas...
do You have to login to anything ea/origin on ps5 with this ?!

Rawdirt

Neo Member
Besides graphical improvements, removing loading walls etc has anyone noticed any subtle changes like Tali’s face photo and changing an NPC Haliat to a Turian?

Hestar69

I can't swallow the price on pc due to origin... I kinda wanted to get it now but AGAIN my origin account was compromised so I AGAIN had to reset password, solve 30 fucking captchas...
do You have to login to anything ea/origin on ps5 with this ?!
Im playing on xbox and you dont have to log into anything so I think the ps5's prolly the same.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Mass Effect: Legendary Edition is a gift- it's a gift for fans of the series who want to jump back into its magical interstellar journey, but it's also a gift for newcomers who want to see what the fuss is all about.

And if you're one such player and are preparing to begin your galactic journey, this feature might come in handy for you. Here, we're going to go over a few basic tips and tricks that, if you're new to the Mass Effect series, you should keep in mind.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Also, this is a BC game. So why does anyone care about loading times on 9th gen machines?
Why wouldn't people care just because the game is backwards compatible though?

Faster load times = better experience.

Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Last edited:

intbal

Why wouldn't people care just because the game is backwards compatible though?

Faster load times = better experience.

Sorry if I misunderstood you.
I was arguing that people shouldn't be fighting over performance differences between PS5/XSX because BC games work differently on both and aren't reflective of the relative strengths of each platform.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I was arguing that people shouldn't be fighting over performance differences between PS5/XSX because BC games work differently on both and aren't reflective of the relative strengths of each platform.

I would say that if one console loads games faster, that would be a strength. Whether or not the game in question is backwards compatible.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Except that MS invested a lot of time and money into BC and is one of the strengths of its platform.

As we can clearly see.

ManaByte

Jesus wept :messenger_tears_of_joy:

'Warning. You will lose brain cells reading this. Read at your own risk'
Star Trek Reaction GIF

Ascend

Finished ME1 and I'm onto ME2. My opinion of the first game has really changed; I remembered it as being the zenith of the series, but actually I think the only things it does best are plot and mood. Characters, dialogue and of course, gameplay, are so much more developed in 2.

ME2, I actually want to hang out on the Normandy and talk to everyone as much as possible.

In ME1, I was so shocked I could only talk to characters like Joker once before they ran out of dialogue. In my mind it was different.

Still one of the best games ever but I think 2, maybe even 3 are much better.
Those ARE the most important things lol.
The characters in ME1 were indeed less developed, because they were focused on being an introduction to their species, rather than individuals, so to speak.
Dialogue and banter improved as the series went on. ME3 is really the best at it, and ME1 the weakest.
Who actually plays Mass Effect for the gameplay? If that was a main selling point, Andromeda would be the best Mass Effect ever, but it wasn't. The gameplay must not be in the way.

Ultimately it depends what you're looking for in games I guess.

Wvrs

Those ARE the most important things lol.
The characters in ME1 were indeed less developed, because they were focused on being an introduction to their species, rather than individuals, so to speak.
Dialogue and banter improved as the series went on. ME3 is really the best at it, and ME1 the weakest.
Who actually plays Mass Effect for the gameplay? If that was a main selling point, Andromeda would be the best Mass Effect ever, but it wasn't. The gameplay must not be in the way.

Ultimately it depends what you're looking for in games I guess.

For ME2 was the perfect jack-of-all-trades that excelled at enough disparate aspects that the sum of its parts places it above other games in the series that do things better.

But don't get me wrong, ME1 is still one of my favorite games of all time.

Does ME2 have autodialog based on moral alignment? Feels like my somewhat renegade Shepard is "trying to be a badass" even when I just hit the left-side investigate options.

ZehDon

Gold Member

Well, it can't be that ba---

Maybe policing, as a concept, was bad? Maybe it couldn’t be reformed, but should be abolished instead.
This being the case, it seems pretty appropriate to view Mass Effect through an abolitionist lens. Like the police forces of the liberal West that so often cross the line and tragically resort to violence, Shepard explains away their own brash and violent behavior as a regretful necessity. In fact, like cops in real life, whose “special status as the sole legitimate users of force has contributed to a mindset of ‘them against us,’” as Alex S. Vitale describes it in his book The End of Policing, Shepard tends to aggressively defend the need for their reckless and hyperviolent approach.
In discussing the hypothetical career changes of Jake Peralta, Charles Boyle, Amy Santiago, and the rest of the characters from Brooklyn Nine-Nine, the Collider piece suggests that there is little thematic connection between the characters’ lives and their status as police officers. But this rings false, considering how much of the show is committed to the “copaganda” of valorizing police work.
You can explore a vibrant and colorful galaxy without serving as its enforcing power. You can experience these complex narrative systems in satisfying ways without requiring all final decisions to be subject to your own approval. It’s all possible, but it requires courageous vision, as well as hope and trust in others. Mass Effect lends rhetorical support to this cause, particularly in its endings, which aim for “peace across the galaxy” while also arguing that a lone, unaccountable hero is the one to deliver it to us. In reality, it is only we, as players and as people, who must find our own way toward a better world.
Yeah, ok - it's completely fucked. In the future, can we post archive links for sites like this, as these links don't grant ad revenue for the click. Archive link here.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Nope, unlimited stamina. And yes, it sucked in the first game.
I'm absolutely hating the gameplay in the first one...the fov, the movements and especially the combat.

Hopefully the sequel are better.

Also can i change class in the sequel or i'm locked to the same class for 3 games?!

Last edited:

nowhat

I'm absolutely hating the gameplay in the first one...the fov, the movements and especially the combat.

...you haven't played these before? I'm kinda jealous, you're in for a ride. To me, part 2 is pretty much a perfect video game, in a blockbuster movie kind of way - sure, there are some things that are not perfect, some of the dialogue/interactions are too Hollywood and as a shooter it's not the best out there by far. But it's hugely enjoyable at the same time. Yes, the end boss sucks but still a minor complaint.

GymWolf

...you haven't played these before? I'm kinda jealous, you're in for a ride. To me, part 2 is pretty much a perfect video game, in a blockbuster movie kind of way - sure, there are some things that are not perfect, some of the dialogue/interactions are too Hollywood and as a shooter it's not the best out there by far. But it's hugely enjoyable at the same time. Yes, the end boss sucks but still a minor complaint.
I played half of the first one, and like 8-10 hours of the second one, i was too little and stupid to enjoy the story and close an eye about the gameplay most probably.

Can i change class in the sequels?

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Also can i change class in the sequel or i'm locked to the same class for 3 games?!
Just noticed a fov mod for PC was released which essentially saves this from being a nauseating mess. The camera is so close it might as well be up the characters ass, thankfully the PC modding community sorted that out real quick.

GymWolf

Just noticed a fov mod for PC was released which essentially saves this from being a nauseating mess. The camera is so close it might as well be up the characters ass, thankfully the PC modding community sorted that out real quick.
Can i use the mod with origins instead of steam?

I'm not exactly an expert about using mods...

Last edited:

royox

Those complaining about ME1 combat what are you complaining about? I'm having a literal blast with my soldier on insanity.

It's miles better than the original on 360.

GymWolf

Those complaining about ME1 combat what are you complaining about? I'm having a literal blast with my soldier on insanity.

Oh i don't know:

Enemy barely reacting to being shoot
The ultra stiff run with 3 second of stamina?
One of the most imprecise cover system in a tps ever
The shitty fov
The character missing with powers half the time even if enemies are in front of you
The game sometimes doesn't register the inputs during combat and that traduce in you having to double-triple launch your abilities
The game in general being clunky and imprecise

It play like shit, you can enjoy it, doesn't mean that it is good, unless we are doing the usual gaf history revisionism where me1 was a great tps game to begin with...

Last edited:

shubik

As someone who complains about it. I never played the original so I can´t comment on that statement but my biggest problem with it was the unresponsiveness, the horrible cover mechanics, and the bullet sponginess of the enemies. I knew the game is old but I thought they would work on the controls and bring it to modern standards.

Maybe I was expecting too much and the made changes already are a major improvement over the original but for me, it was jarring how old the game felt. I´m now in the second game and this is like night and day. I actually like playing the game instead of just enjoying the story as I did in the first.

shubik

Oh i don't know:

Enemy barely reacting to being shoot
The awkward run with 3 seconda of stamina?
One of the most imprecise cover system in a tps
The shitty fov
The character missing with powers half the time even if enemies are in front of you
The game sometimes doesn't register the inputs during combat and that traduce in you having to double-triple launch your abilities
The game in general being clunky and imprecise

It play like shit, you can enjoy it, doesn't mean that it is good, unless we are doing the usual gaf history revisionism where me1 was a great tps game to begin with...

The stamina bar is a fucking joke. I thought I was making a mistake in the beginning. How on earth did they not fix this?!?

Freeman76

You guys seen this thread over on nutjob central? People genuinely complaining its wrong for a game to portray a main character who has unlimited power to do whatever they want. Its bordering on a sickness these people have at this point, mentally deficient imbeciles who want everything wrapped in bubble wrap.

DeaDPo0L84

Can i use the mod with origins instead of steam?

I'm not exactly an expert about using mods...
I don't know 100% for certain but I can't imagine why not. It's a file tweak so nothing too intrusive. They show photos as well between default/80/90/or 100 in both combat and exploration so you can see which one you'd like to download.

I wasn't going to, but I couldn't help it and purchased.

I'm taking it very slow, trying to soak it all in again. Reading lore entries and generally just trying to treat this like this is the first time I'm playing.

I started this. Man, even with the revisions it feels old. You don't realize how far character animations have come until you go back to something like this.

Character movements and eyes look more like the animatronics characters at an old Chuck E Cheese's or Show Biz Pizza than actual people.

Last edited:
You guys seen this thread over on nutjob central? People genuinely complaining its wrong for a game to portray a main character who has unlimited power to do whatever they want. Its bordering on a sickness these people have at this point, mentally deficient imbeciles who want everything wrapped in bubble wrap.

Same idiot who tried to convince us all Cuphead is racist.

SafeOrAlone

Banned

There's a Charles Bukowski poem I like.

In it, he goes on about this woman he is seeing, who is always flirting with other men, trying to make him jealous, flaunting it.
It becomes semi-abstract as Charles describes the relief he feels as the woman, one day, mysteriously "vanishes into her sexual organs". He describes her disappearance from his life as "like an alarm clock falling into the grand canyon."

I'd like us to look at ResetEra that way.

Last edited:

meech

What? There was barely any real banter in Mass Effect 2, the characters existed basicly only for Shepardt. The first game at least had briefings after every main mission.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Is this the same Polygon guy who wrote an article claiming that Attack on Titan indoctrinates people into fascism?

...nope, different Polygon writer.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
This is one of those games I can not stop playing once I've begun....but now it's been a couple days and I can't bring myself to boot it up. Playing games, especially big ones, is almost like transitioning from hot to cold water for me.

RAIDEN1

This is one of those games I can not stop playing once I've begun....but now it's been a couple days and I can't bring myself to boot it up. Playing games, especially big ones, is almost like transitioning from hot to cold water for me.
Well you can't let it sit there gathering dust, this trilogy was looooong in the making!

Top Bottom