• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: New Poster and Teaser Revealed

Drizzlehell

Banned
I mean…of course lol, BioWare hasn’t release anything since Anthem and before Anthem they only released 2 games. The fact that you had to say decade instead of 5 years is why it’s too early to make calls at this point. We don’t have much to go on because they won’t even show the new Dragon Age. This might be a completely new team since the last decade. We simply don’t know yet.

Honestly I was looking at the poster and my prediction is that this is a time travel story. The person in the poster with trenchcoat almost making an hourglass shape. They’re hiding their face because they can’t reveal who they are in the past. The ME-2 club picture is there in pristine condition almost as if it was captured perfectly in the past.

My guess is that there will be gameplay segments in the future slowly building up to what went wrong post-reapers/red ending along with how you managed to discover time travel and discover another way to kill reapers, and past gameplay segments where you will be changing past events to try and fix the future with possibly some device that will kill the reapers outright without needing a war started where billions die including close crew mates. Which means that the person traveling back to the past will be traveling to a post ME-1/pre ME-2 time period.
Huh, that's a pretty cool theory. I mean, maybe I wouldn't go as far as trying to retcon the entire original trilogy and cheapen that story in the process, but maybe at least it would be a way to fix the ending to ME3 lol.

Although I have a hunch that they will probably just go with a more straightforward continuation of the story. One of the endings from ME3 will be picked as canonical and then the game will be set decades after the OG trilogy to give the writers enough room to make some new shit up without having to bother with player choices and such. Maybe there will be an equivalent of the Tapestry from DA: Inquisition that will allow you to import some of the bigger choices from previous games but they won't really amount to anything more than a few codex entries and maybe some special lines of dialogue.

SimTourist

I have been given leaked footage of how the indigenous population of one of the planets you will get to visit in the new Mass Effect will look.

It is showing real time ray tracing too.

jason-statham-dancing.gif
Man, that's some Unreal Engine 3 vaseline look, not a fan.

I'd love to have an entry into ME that was as exciting as the first 2. Bioware just doesn't seem to be that studio anymore, and they haven't been for a long time. I do hope they can pull it off though, I'd love for them to get back to their roots and give us those great RPG's I grew up with.

Jurassic Park Hold On To Your Butts GIF by chuber channel

Last edited:
Huh, that's a pretty cool theory. I mean, maybe I wouldn't go as far as trying to retcon the entire original trilogy and cheapen that story in the process, but maybe at least it would be a way to fix the ending to ME3 lol.

Although I have a hunch that they will probably just go with a more straightforward continuation of the story. One of the endings from ME3 will be picked as canonical and then the game will be set decades after the OG trilogy to give the writers enough room to make some new shit up without having to bother with player choices and such. Maybe there will be an equivalent of the Tapestry from DA: Inquisition that will allow you to import some of the bigger choices from previous games but they won't really amount to anything more than a few codex entries and maybe some special lines of dialogue.
It’s going to be the red ending. The minute they announced this game I think it made red ending canonical. The green ending is unfortunately so air tight in terms of what happens that they don’t leave room for the randomness/spontaneity of life. Instead it’s a perfect utopia. The blue ending made Shepard a god, so it would take a ridiculous level of retcon to fix that ending for a sequel.

The red ending means that yes, certain inorganic life forms are most likely all dead, but you managed to kill the reapers, save your own and others’ humanity and freedom, and save the entire galaxy without giving in. Shepard breathing at the very end then the cut to credits makes it feel triumphant because you know there’s a chance the main character lives.

On a side note I’ve always liked red ending the most anyway. The reapers didn’t deserve the easy win/easy out after causing so much damage. Everyone will eventually heal from the war but it will also cause more interesting stories to occur because of the odd tension of “hey I helped you guys kill these things and now you owe me.”

Top Bottom