• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition launching on May 14

Jeez... What is it with all the vitriol from people who don't even bought the remaster? Why are u people so angry? Can't wrap your head around the fact that people like, even love, what you chose to hate? Why feel the need to constantly shit on a game you don't even want to play? Why is this forum drifting so hard into Resetera territory?

Last edited:

Rikkori

1500+ reviews on Steam and rising, still with the mostly positive tag showing. Lots of corpo bootlickers out there!
/s

Seriously, the few negative reviews are mostly focused on UI and control related issues. Doesn’t mean they don’t matter but Bioware should be able to fix this easily. And if they aren’t then I’m pretty sure modders will do it. Just sit back and watch what happens, things will very likely turn out well in the end.

Why are you paying $60 for a remaster that doesn't get the basics right & are waiting for modders to fix these issues? Again, think through what's going on. Or don't, pay up and enjoy getting hustled.

smash smashing pumpkins GIF by San Diego Zoo

Was able to get a solid 6 hours in today.

ME1 definitely shows it's age despite the remaster, but for a game from 2007 it looks amazing and plays amazing. No bugs to report. Absolutely worth the $60 of you are a fan of the series. It's insane value.

Graphics age. Good story, characters and world building are eternal.

It's why I can still play Suikoden, Tales of the Abyss or Xenosaga despite them not being 4k 60 FPS.

Fredrik

Why are you paying $60 for a remaster that doesn't get the basics right & are waiting for modders to fix these issues? Again, think through what's going on. Or don't, pay up and enjoy getting hustled.

smash smashing pumpkins GIF by San Diego Zoo
I’m just doing what I said you should be doing, sitting back and watch what happens, haven’t bought it yet but aren’t ready to throw the devs under the buss over minor stuff that most don’t seem too bothered by going by reviews. Maybe it’s fine if you play on a regular 16:9 screen? Maybe it’s great with a controller?

Anyway, there are several hours long playthrough videos out there for both ME1 and ME2 now, videos showing the 120fps mode on Xbox, comparison with 360 version etc. Feels like most are liking it. But I want a DF analysis, hopefully they don’t forget about the PC version like they usually do.

Please tell me they didn’t also blitz the amazing 70’s Kubrick film grain….

I just don’t know how any down to the bone fan can praise this…..

Yeah that looks really off in parts. The original had character. Might still play it eventually for the conveniently bundled DLC that I couldn't justify the price of back in the day but I don't know.

Hugare

1080p60 was maximum of that gen. We're you expecting 4k120 on ps4?
Upgraded models, textures and many objects geometry and lighting. Especially first game.
I don't think it was 60 usd was it? No matter.
Did not butchered any asses.

Anyway. The reason that uncharted trilogy remasters is lower effort because these games don't have dlc or are shorter is bullshit. Game length has nothing to do with it.
"Were you expecting 4k120 on PS4?"

Lol, what a way to move the goalpost

You can play Legendary Edition at 4k or 1440 60 fps on the PS4 Pro. Maximum of this gen (while still offering Quality and Perf options).

So how is Uncharted Collection any better? You were the one claiming that it was better, not me.

Game length has everything to do with it. It translates to the amount of assets, cutscenes, models, textures and lighting to be improved.
Its not hard to think that improving 30h is less demanding than improving 100h of content.

And it also means more bang for your buck, which is the center of this discussion.

And yes, Uncharted Collection was sold for $60.

If you are going to use it as an example, at least do some research to back up your reasoning.

Last edited:
Amazing that people are upset about $60 for three of the best games ever made bundled with all of their DLC yet are happy to pay $70 for a roguelike.
Mass Effect III is one of the best games ever made? I must be dreaming. People are upset of the level of polish in this overall package for such excellent games. Mass Effect deserved better than this, should have passed it onto BluePoint games.

Shmunter

Amazing that people are upset about $60 for three of the best games ever made bundled with all of their DLC yet are happy to pay $70 for a roguelike.
Yeah it’s good value. Personally the aesthetic changes are unfortunately off putting. May pickup as impulse one day, no rush atm.

Shmunter

Mass Effect III is one of the best games ever made? I must be dreaming. People are upset of the level of polish in this overall package for such excellent games. Mass Effect deserved better than this, should have passed it onto BluePoint games.
Oh yeah wow. But that would be a hell of an overhaul and project. The result would of course be transformative.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
"Were you expecting 4k120 on PS4?"

Lol, what a way to move the goalpost

You can play Legendary Edition at 4k or 1440 60 fps on the PS4 Pro. Maximum of this gen (while still offering Quality and Perf options).

So how is Uncharted Collection any better? You were the one claiming that it was better, not me.

Game length has everything to do with it. It translates to the amount of assets, cutscenes, models, textures and lighting to be improved.
Its not hard to think that improving 30h is less demanding than improving 100h of content.

And it also means more bang for your buck, which is the center of this discussion.

And yes, Uncharted Collection was sold for $60.

If you are going to use it as an example, at least do some research to back up your reasoning.
Uc collection was released before ps4 pro

Ascend

After playing the first game to about half of Eden Prime, this is my initial impressions;

• Graphics generally look really good. They did a good job with this.
  • The lighting changes in side to side comparisons might have been prominent, but the new look is fine in my view. I haven't noticed a scene that looks off or takes me out of the immersion.
  • The sound is a bit weird. At the start of the game, there is this weird reverb in all sounds, which makes voices sound muddy. Maybe the idea was to give a sense of being in a sort of confined space, but I found it annoying rather than immersive.
  • Anderson looks a bit weird. Not as bad as in screenshots, but not as good as I'd hoped.
  • Chakwas looks way too young. Can't see her as a great grandmother anymore. She now looks like she's in her 30s. Big negative for me here.
  • Custom Shepard doesn't really have the eyeliner issue, but I did notice clipping of eyelids. This has not been fixed, which is a shame. This is true for both Shepard and other characters in conversation.
  • Playing at 21:9, it's good, but, unfortunately cutscenes still retain their 16:9 aspect ratio with black bars on the side, which is a shame. It's annoying that we see half of Nihlus' face in some conversation shots in the beginning, while if itwas 21:9, you would see his whole face.
  • I found a control bug, where if you are in cover and pause to use powers and you turn the camera, the camera flips as if it doesn't know if you're in or out of cover. Getting out of cover and back in cover fixes this.
  • Controls are good. Not as good as ME2 and ME3, but, they work better than they did before. At least on mouse and keyboard. I haven't tried using a controller. But I can imagine that it works well on controller as well.
  • Headshots actually work now, which is great. It gives you a lot of damage.
  • I started playing on insanity with ah Adept, and well... It's a bit too easy now that headshots are a thing. You can also use the sniper perfectly well as an Adept. Not sure if I'm liking this. It makes the game really easy. At least until now.

Valt7786

I'd completely forgotten how short ME 1 actually is/feels. Seems like you barely get enough time to get to know the crew etc before you're off to the final planet etc.

WoJ

I got the disc version of this and it isn't coming until Tuesday. It is killing me not being able to dive into this.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I've never played these games and literally get 6 hours a week to game.... its it still worth buying??

ME1 is hit or miss. If you’ve never played then I would guess you wouldn’t like it - even with the fixes it plays really dated.

ME2 is one of the greatest games ever and this is a fine remaster with loads of DLC.

I never played 3.

Just my feedback for what it’s worth.

---

Also, walking into The Afterlife for the first time since about 2011

200.gif

Last edited:
Wow, didn‘t expect so many haters here. I like it, can‘t wait to finally play ME3, never played it when it had its initial release, currently I‘m really enjoying ME1, it feels so good to play now and the soundtrack is just one of the best OSTs I‘ve ever heard.

The old PC ports with all the DLC will cost you more although I have a feeling most on PC resorted to piracy.

2 disks ? I finished dl the first disk so I put in the 2nd disk and it says I need the first disk even tho I already finished dl the whole disk already,what am I missing?

Last edited:

kyussman

What's going on with the sound on the Citadel.....turning the camera when someone is speaking and the sound drops off......in the clubs the music turns on and off depending on which direction you point the camera.....was it like this in the original,can't remember.

What's going on with the sound on the Citadel.....turning the camera when someone is speaking and the sound drops off......in the clubs the music turns on and off depending on which direction you point the camera.....was it like this in the original,can't remember.

I think it cuts out based on how far away the person speaking is from you and whether or not you’re looking towards them and loads in the next sounds if you’re not. It also seems that if there’s another potential speaker in the area that you are facing it will switch to that (to avoid overlap of dialogue I guess).

kyussman

I think it cuts out based on how far away the person speaking is from you and whether or not you’re looking towards them and loads in the next sounds if you’re not. It also seems that if there’s another potential speaker in the area that you are facing it will switch to that (to avoid overlap of dialogue I guess).
Yea,I guess.
I had one conversation in a club where when the camera was pointing at Shepard there was music thumping away and when the camera cut to face the woman I was talking to it was dead silent,lol.

Last edited:

TheMan

I've played some more and to be honest my issue isn't with the quality of the port itself. I guess my issue is that the game itself is showing its age and still feels janky in terms of controls, animations, and things like only being able to sprint for like 3 seconds so it takes forever to get anywhere. Also, I think I may just be over the usual CRPG trappings of backtracking million times back and forth to do these stupid side quests (looking at you citadel.)

Oh well, I paid for it digitally on PS5 so Im stuck with it. I'll keep chugging for now.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Resolution and framerate is a product of generation. It is not additional effort
You take people's posts here too literal.

Other things have improved too like textures, lighting, MAKO controls and whatever other adjustments they did.

It's not like ME Legendary is simply playing old an old copy of a ME game and you get basic boosts via BC on S/X or PS5 the systems do to games.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I used to think I preferred the first Mass Effect to ME2, but times have changed and the flaws of the first are more apparent to me than ever. Namely, the awful level design and smaller scope.

Honestly, after completing the first game yesterday, I was having second thoughts about going on, but I'm enjoying Mass Effect 2 much more. It really feels like a step up, despite the unfortunate lack of some RPG elements from the first game, which are missed. It's not enough to make me miss the first game though. The sequel is much more fun on a moment-to-moment basis and just feels larger in scope a few hours in.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Uncharted are also remasters and we're bumped to maximum of that gen, which is 1080p60.

How the fuck is that not a pretty legit upgrade?
The Mass Effect Legendary edition did far more than Uncharted Collection and it's really not even close.

That's not to say that it was perfect. There are some tweaks that should have been made.

Nevertheless, I am having a blast playing the game at 1440p/120 fps.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I used to think I preferred the first Mass Effect to ME2, but times have changed and the flaws of the first are more apparent to me than ever. Namely, the awful level design and smaller scope.

Honestly, after completing the first game yesterday, I was having second thoughts about going on, but I'm enjoying Mass Effect 2 much more. It really feels like a step up, despite the unfortunate lack of some RPG elements from the first game, which are missed. It's not enough to make me miss the first game though. The sequel is much more fun on a moment-to-moment basis and just feels larger in scope a few hours in.
The first Mass Effect game had a very 60/70s sci-fi feel to it, that was lost in ME2 and ME3.
34811ecfb7f232379bf19f03494512d7.jpg

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Jesus tapdancing Christ I forgot how massive the Citadel area was and how much there is stuff around to do.

Kagey K

Banned
Jesus tapdancing Christ I forgot how massive the Citadel area was and how much there is stuff around to do.
I'm 12 hours in and just getting on the Normandy. 😆

So much content in that opening area.

Think I did it in 10 hours or so on the original but I've been taking my time and talking to everyone about everything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom