• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition launching on May 14

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
How quickly are some of you completing ME 2?

Curious because ME I swear originally took me something like 40 to 50 hours back in the day I think, and I just almost 100%Ed it in 16 hours without trying to rush...

Wvrs

Absolute tragedy that DLC for ME2 hasn't been logically included into narrative progression. I just finished encountering the Collectors for the first time and Hackett is suddenly warning me of an imminent Reaper invasion.

When replaying the trilogy on 360, I would actually uninstall LotSB and Arrival until finishing the game. Can't do that here.

How quickly are some of you completing ME 2?

Curious because ME I swear originally took me something like 40 to 50 hours back in the day I think, and I just almost 100%Ed it in 16 hours without trying to rush...
ME1 was never a long game. Even quicker now with loading times and tighter gunplay. ME2 was a good 45 hours for me back in the day and I'm still tracking at that time.

Last edited:
Will finish ME1 tonight - it's much shorter than I remember but I've hammered it since launch to be fair. The music is so good - still gives me goosebumps.

Adept is broken in ME1, everything is CCed all of the time.

The planet based side quests are still a chore imo which is a shame as some of them have really intriguing backstories. The Mako is much better now it doesn't instantly flip over but still too much driving around for too little reward. Had one or two bugs where my camera was locked facing the wrong way but a quick reload fixed it. No other real complaints.

Looks fresh at 4k and 60fps makes it feel so very nice. Looking forward to seeing how ME2 holds up.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Loving the collection so far on series x. I finished up one over the past weekend at about 23 hrs. Completed most of the side quests, level 60 adept, full paragon romancing liara. Now im about 20/25 hrs into mass effect 2. Playing largely the same way i did in the first game, paragon, adept, liara romance. I forgot how much longer me 2 is than the first game , and what a major improvement it is. The writing, pacing, and gameplay are all better, even with the improvements made to 1 in this remaster, though i lament the loss of the deeper rpg mechanics of the first game. They didnt put as much work into the visuals as they did for mass effect 1, but it still looks really nice. Its amazing to play a version of mass effect 2 that runs at a high frame rate, a high resolution, and super clean texture filtering. I can make out small details on characters and enviroments that were probably there all along, but were basically invisible because of the low horse power of the xbox 360, where ive historically played mass effect

Freeman76

Completed ME1 over the weekend, now into 2 and have Kasumi, Garrus, Mordin, Jack, and Grunt on the team.

Trying to do the DLC in the best order, atm only Firewalker and Overlord is available. Is there an order to tackle them in?

I played it twice on release but of course most of the DLC came after I had finished the game and I forget what happens when now!

Is it possible to play ME1 and then jump into ME2 with a new save? As in, can I go back to ME1 without losing my original save. Or is it one save and once you are on it, you are stuck with that. Asking because I need to take screenshots of all 3 games and write a review of the first.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So, I finished ME1 and immediately dived into ME2. Finished ME1 at Level 28 (Legendary) and it imported to ME2 as a Level 55 character.

My thoughts on ME1:
It was a lot of fun to replay and it still holds up in many ways. Playing it on my XSX with 1440p/120 Hz was one of the most pleasantly smooth gaming experiences I have had in a long time. Just buttery smooth. The graphical updates to the game IMO were PERFECT, they made the game look better without taking away the look of ME1. Great job. I loved the way experience was handled in that you could come very close to the level cap (although I've read that there isn't a level cap actually) in one playthrough and that anyone can use any weapon. Nice touch there. It was largely bug free, until the final fight with Saren, where I got constant crashing, which supposedly it is tied to using Biotic powers.

Complaints:
1. The was some glitching where you got stuck on things from time to time.
2. There was NO reason to keep those dumb and pointless button pressing minigames. I HATED those in the original and hated them now. Why am I pressing buttons to scan some damn minerals?!!
3. I feel like they could have done a little bit more to fix the controls. Made them a little bit closer to ME2/ME3, where you assign one power to the left bumper and to the right bumper as well and also have made the Y button be an additional power instead of healing, where healing would have been moved to the weapon /power wheel. Also had the squads biotic powers similar to that as well on left and right d-pad. I am playing ME2 and it is amazing how much difference those two small changes make. It was really annoying playing ME1 and having to switch between powers. That's a change that I feel would have been doable. Adopting the snap into cover would have been nice as well, but that probably would have been more difficult to pull off.
4. The crashing during the Saren fight was awful. Supposedly the crashing is caused by using Biotic powerrs and apparently the way to stop crashing is to not use biotic powers. Thats what worked and fixing that should be a top priority.
5. I likely missed it, but it seems as though they removed New Game+ in Mass Effect 1. I couldn't find it as I was planning on making my New Game+ run the Renegade Insanity run. More than likely I missed it.

Suggestions:
1. Totally revamp New Game+, create a build your own class, where you select your powers. At the very least, I'd love you to be able to start a New game where you keep all your weapons, armor, skill points, but be able to change class, and gender. I like to play Paragon male and Renegade female. Maybe this feature IS available and I just missed it. If I did please tell me how!

T-Cake

Bad move in changing Kelly Chambers' appearance in ME2. They went the wrong way and should have used the ME2 version in ME3. :(

Deanington

Traveling some of these planets is so fucking frustrating. They put shit beyond or on top of mountain ranges that you have to hope of finding a route to go over them/get on top to get to the destinations. I hate it.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Traveling some of these planets is so fucking frustrating. They put shit beyond or on top of mountain ranges that you have to hope of finding a route to go over them/get on top to get to the destinations. I hate it.
Brute force your way up with LB and jump. That's what I did in the original. 🤣

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Nordacrux.....worst offender by far.

Arsic

Is there major audio issues with ME3, or was this game always like this?

There's no audio to footsteps, and in general just sounds very hollow ? Like ME1 and 2 didn't have these issues at all...

Edit: Can't see how this wasn't brought up upon release. The audio for this game is just missing in tons of places, and is flat and hollow where it is at.

Does this game get better? It's got the worst start of any ME game, including Andromeda...

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Is anybody keen on jumping into Andromeda post the remasters?
I was thinking about going and doing a replay of it after and cleaning up some achievements I missed, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions and there are more games coming out soon.

So we will see.
I never played it, so I might, but I'm jus really getting into ME1 Remaster now so that might be two years from now.
It's really not as bad as ppl make it out to be, especially now that most of the bugs are squashed.

mcjmetroid

Sounds like they did a good job with this ya? Is mass effect 1 that much improved? I always enjoyed it's slower more tactical combat.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Sounds like they did a good job with this ya? Is mass effect 1 that much improved? I always enjoyed it's slower more tactical combat.
Its not like it was before but you can still get downed pretty easy if you aren't paying attention.

Last edited:
Funny, same here. It was a bore fest and clearly designed for the grind (same way I think ME1 is a bore fest).
The problem for me was that it was basically a DA:I replica with a space skin. And I really hated DA:I and its grindy, pointless nature. But we all knew what we were gonna get. So.. shame on me.

I need to stop reading this thread, I want to clap some alien cheeks but I'm too stingy to pay full price for games I already played.

Spaceman292

Banned
It's really not as bad as ppl make it out to be, especially now that most of the bugs are squashed.
Yes it is. It's better than it used to be, but it's still crazy buggy, especially compared to the new remastered. On top of that you have to deal with the shit writing and annoying design.

TrebleShot

This was one of my most hyped games of the 360 era and I remember clearly buying it from Blockbusters near me.

Jumping into the remaster, there's a few things I have noticed on ME1.

- Its taking me a lot longer than it did to sink into the the game but I think at around 5/6 hours I am in.

- Sound issues are so weird, all audio for dialogue and guns explosions etc ar eVERY loud in the rear channels, checked it out and its a common issue that apparently continues in the sequels, bit disappointing but ill use headphones.

- Anyone else skipping side content, when I originally played on 360 I literally did everything but I can't bring myself to spend hours scanning planets and exploring every dialogue tree, anyone else doing the same? just want main content and carry on to 2.

T-Cake

- Anyone else skipping side content, when I originally played on 360 I literally did everything but I can't bring myself to spend hours scanning planets and exploring every dialogue tree, anyone else doing the same? just want main content and carry on to 2.

I actually got carried away and did nearly all of the content in ME1 but I do spam the "X" button to skip all the dialogue. I've heard it so many times before. Unfortunately this resulted in my femshep hopping into bed with Liara instead of boning Kaiden, which is my usual mate.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
I actually got carried away and did nearly all of the content in ME1 but I do spam the "X" button to skip all the dialogue. I've heard it so many times before. Unfortunately this resulted in my femshep hopping into bed with Liara instead of boning Kaiden, which is my usual mate.

DUqDHmV.gif

Arsic

I ended up dropping ME3 and moving into SMT3 Nocturne HD instead.

ME3 is a genuinely awful game. I hated the lack of customization and rpg elements from ME1 to ME2 back in the day, but the improvements in all other aspects more than made up for it.

ME3 is the least RPG of them all, and it doesn't hold a candle to what it was trying to be then, and it really doesn't all these years later. Andromeda is IMO a much better start and something I plan to play. ME3 I will probably YT spoilers for later on.

The game is just so void of the charm, personality, and atmosphere of 1 and 2. Hours in and no side quests , no real decisions, and I'm on a guided path forever doing poor man's Gears of Uncharted gameplay.

Why they took out light, med, heavy armor, slotting items, and more visual customization options baffles the mind.

Last edited:
Anyone else feel voices are kind of soft in ME1? Like MW2 Remaster can’t hear the music soft? I’m wondering if it’s with my sound system

What the fuck thread? I can still punch that fake news bitch the fuck out, handle the slave Quarian's contract, etc. So far the only change I can see is that I'm talking to Miranda's face, not her ass. That and the 4k60fps, but you know what I mean.

Let's not make shit up for the sake of having something to be pissy about.

Ok so Im now 6 hrs in ME1. Can someone tell me the real differences between the original and LE ME1? I know it was mentioned about the Mako...but either my memory is shit (or its been ages) or the Mako still controls like ass and is floaty. What about the gameplay...everything seems as I remeber but I believe they said they fixed the gameplay to be comparable to ME2 and 3. Also as far as I can see they still kept a more RPG, non dumbed down options for ME1. Dont get me wrong I love the whole trilogy but even though for the better, ME2 was a completely different game clearly aimed at consoles.

So yeah if someone can tell me the actual differences of ME1 original vs ME legendary or point me to a video. So far I feel like im playing the same ME1 as before but i read in reviews that it borrowed a lot from ME2 and 3 which i cant figure out.

Denton

Absolute tragedy that DLC for ME2 hasn't been logically included into narrative progression. I just finished encountering the Collectors for the first time and Hackett is suddenly warning me of an imminent Reaper invasion.
Wow, that is shite. Poor work by BW.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Mass Effect Legendary Edition Part 1 reviewed by Dan Stapleton on Xbox Series X. Also available on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.

We're reviewing each of the three parts separately, so stay tuned for reviews of the Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 Legendary Editions.

I have spent almost 2 hours in the character creator and I'm still not happy with my Shepard. I remember that I created an amazing face back in 2007 but I can't seem to recreate it right now. I don't want to to play as default male Shepard. I'm going to take a break, play a game or two of Rocket League and try again later.

Edit: If any of you guys have an awesome created character put down the code and some pictures. I checked the Ree thread and like 90% of the characters are female Shepard.

Last edited:
Just finished ME1 and clocked in at 35hrs with platin on insane. What an amazing game it was and still is. Guess I‘ll be reading the first ME book to sink in even deeper into the universe.

BTW, nice credits song.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Decided to start another playthrough of 1 instead of moving on to 2. After playing the whole way as an Infiltrator I was see what it's like as an Adept before I dive into the new control scheme of 2.

Topher

Gold Member
Jesus i forgot how much shit was driving the fucking mako on me1, it make me want to skip any sidequest that involve driving that infernal thing...

The fact that the terrain can be absolutely ridiculous doesn't help. I can't remember if it gets better in 2 or 3, but it wasn't nearly this fucked up in Andromeda.

In other words.....fuck this galaxy.

Top Bottom