• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition launching on May 14

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
At $60 this is a shameless money grab by Bioware to recoup money after back to back flops. I won't buy this at full price on principle alone.
It has all of the DLC from all three games and they have even hinted that if the game does well enough and the demand is high enough they will consider bringing back the multiplayer for Mass Effect 3. And even if they didn't the single player content alone is easily 250 Plus hours as a whole and that's if you skip quite a bit.

That is insane value for $60 in my opinion.

JayK47

Insane value assuming you have never played them. If you have played each game 3+ times like me, the value is much lower. I am not sure I want to play another round. The last time I played, I told myself that was the last time. I must have played the first and second games 4 to 6 times and the 3rd three times for sure. I am pretty wore out on them, even though they are awesome games. I was hoping for some new content, like something that was mostly finished but cut. More like a directors cut with additional content, not just better graphics and updates to the first games controls to match the last two games. Anything new would have peaked my interest. As it currently stands, I will likely grab this when it is on a steep sale and may not even play it.

MrMephistoX

As someone who literally senT Tal Blevins of IGN his press copy of ME1, proceeded to scratch the fucking disc due to my friends pug pre-release, went to Hollywood video to repair it...yeah this hit so damn hard emotionally seeing the ME1 remaster intro.
ueGt8ZT.jpg

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
As someone who literally senT Tal Blevins of IGN his press copy of ME1, proceeded to scratch the fucking disc due to my friends pug pre-release, went to Hollywood video to repair it...yeah this hit so damn hard emotionally seeing the ME1 remaster intro.
ueGt8ZT.jpg
Yeah I got literal goosebumps when the title screen hit. I got teary eyed.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I wish the game would leave me alone regarding my decision to let the citadel die. I didnt do it out of spite. Wish I had save-scummed right before that bit.
I'm considering just restarting Mass Effect 2 without bringing my save over. It doesn't seem like your decisions in the first game bring much to the table anyway.

nowhat

I played these on a 360 that was modded and also banned because of that - I didn't think much of it at the time, it was cheap and single-player is mostly my thing so it's all good, right? Fallout New Vegas without any patches taught me a lesson... But because of being banned, I never got around to playing any of the DLC, which is why this was pretty much a no-brainer to pick up.

Just finished the first game (well, not completely, but that's for another run). And I do realize this is a "remaster" instead of a proper remake. EA/BioWare has gone beyond a simple resolution/frame rate bump, which is nice. But still, Bluepoint this is not. The cover system still sucks balls (just started on 2 and it's so much better) and while it is nice to have updated textures, do something about the geometry of the models too? As it is, you have people wearing textured wetsuits. Improved textures for sure, but those with the increased resolution just helps to underline the fact that the models are so basic. When compared to 2 which I'm now playing the difference is just so huge, it's a wonder what a few added polygons can do.

TheStam

I'm really enjoying this. Made me a bit sad to think about how few games niw that have manages to give you the same sense of adventure that Bioware used to do. I don't know if nostalgia is at play here maybe.

Controls are ok, playing ME on a controller for the first time. Powers are a bit awkward though.

Looks better than I thought it would.

Patrick S.

Banned
I installed and loaded a savegame for the original Mass Effect game. I'm not even bothered enough by the low res textures to spend a few minutes installing MEUITM or ALOT.

I'm saddened because while these are my favourite games ever, I find them too boring to actually play though them again now.

I have never played the paid DLC, and if I want to do that I can either spend fifty fucking Euro on getting the DLC packages for ME2 and ME3 or grab this remaster. The remaster is already cheaper than the ridiculous price for both DLC packs, because I saw it for €38 on some keysite yesterday. I think I'll just grab the remaster for €20 on cdkeys in a few months to play 2 and 3 for the DLC.

Last edited:

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Having a blast playing Mass Effect again. The first game was a flawed masterpiece. It still is, but it is now less flawed. Combat is a lot better. But it does break down when enemies surround you. That said, these situations happen way less than in the original version. Lots of small quality of life improvements have been made. It feels snappier and very solid. I can't wait to finish ME1 and move to ME2.

protonion

I've played 2 and 3 only, so it's good to finally play the original.

Playing on ps5. 10 hours in, zero issues.

One thing I hate is the menus. All you do is equip guns and some add-ons, yet somehow they fucked it up.

rkofan87

Gold Member
rant time so playing me1 doing side shit i go to this sand planet and this monster comes up from the ground and kills me i guess i am not ready for this yet but me will not let abort the planet and my last save i picked side stuff so i have do all that crap again rant over.

intbal

Another set of loading time tests from a youtuber who does a lot of that.
While xbox version generally loads quicker, it seems loading performance can be highly variable.
Also, this is a BC game. So why does anyone care about loading times on 9th gen machines?

(Not sure what happened with his "Start New Mission" test. Seems like an editing error.)

Last edited:
I didn't realize how much of my memory of these games has to do with the color palate. Seeing the new one side by side in the comparison videos, the new one looks so much worse to me. If I were coming at the remake fresh, it might not bother me as much, but the whole look of the remakes seems completely off.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I didn't realize how much of my memory of these games has to do with the color palate. Seeing the new one side by side in the comparison videos, the new one looks so much worse to me. If I were coming at the remake fresh, it might not bother me as much, but the whole look of the remakes seems completely off.

Looks great when you're actually playing it and not looking at YouTube videos.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Alright, everyone... Who are you hooking up with? I was a Liara guy back in the day but then I smashed Jack in part 2 and 3. I did an Ashley playthrough of the first game but didn't continue it because as I said before the first game is the best.

meech

IThe cover system still sucks balls (just started on 2 and it's so much better) and while it is nice to have updated textures, do something about the geometry of the models too?
Never had any issue with that and crouch(something that existed only in the first). And in the first, cover wasnt even needed later on. The adept uses barrier and crowd control, the engineer overheats weapons and the soldier just uses immunity when hurt(and ideally has squadmates that handled biotics and tech). It was never a cover shooter in the first place.

meech

rant time so playing me1 doing side shit i go to this sand planet and this monster comes up from the ground and kills me i guess i am not ready for this yet but me will not let abort the planet and my last save i picked side stuff so i have do all that crap again rant over.
??Open the map and get back to the Normandy.

Patrick S.

Banned
Alright, everyone... Who are you hooking up with? I was a Liara guy back in the day but then I smashed Jack in part 2 and 3. I did an Ashley playthrough of the first game but didn't continue it because as I said before the first game is the best.
User banned: 1 month. Sexistic and misogynistic behaviour, toxic masculinity, history of previous infractions.

This has to be one of my most regretful purchases. These games have not aged well at all for me. So bad it makes me wonder what I ever saw in them. So much time spent on conversations that are the lower end of Teen Lit in terms of writing and tone, cheesy gameplay and enemies. Cringey characters. Should have saved my game bux for Days Gone next week. I can forgive bad writing if the gameplay is there, but it's just not here. I wish I let this one live on in my memories.

If you're making an M rated game, why write it for teens?

Last edited:

Kev Kev

It has all of the DLC from all three games and they have even hinted that if the game does well enough and the demand is high enough they will consider bringing back the multiplayer for Mass Effect 3. And even if they didn't the single player content alone is easily 250 Plus hours as a whole and that's if you skip quite a bit.

That is insane value for $60 in my opinion.
fuck yeah.

and once its dropped in price a bit \several months from now? fuhget about it. im stoked to go through them again one day. especially updated me1

Wvrs

Loving this. I haven't played the trilogy since ME3 first released. And it's my first-time as FemShep. I'm playing Paragade (kind to my crew, bitch to the galaxy) and having a blast so far.

One thing I didn't remember is how ... shallow companions are in ME1. They're still good characters, but feels more like KOTOR than the fully fleshed out, almost-living beings of the sequels.
Finished ME1 and I'm onto ME2. My opinion of the first game has really changed; I remembered it as being the zenith of the series, but actually I think the only things it does best are plot and mood. Characters, dialogue and of course, gameplay, are so much more developed in 2.

ME2, I actually want to hang out on the Normandy and talk to everyone as much as possible.

In ME1, I was so shocked I could only talk to characters like Joker once before they ran out of dialogue. In my mind it was different.

Still one of the best games ever but I think 2, maybe even 3 are much better.

Shmunter

Finished ME1 and I'm onto ME2. My opinion of the first game has really changed; I remembered it as being the zenith of the series, but actually I think the only things it does best are plot and mood. Characters, dialogue and of course, gameplay, are so much more developed in 2.

ME2, I actually want to hang out on the Normandy and talk to everyone as much as possible.

In ME1, I was so shocked I could only talk to characters like Joker once before they ran out of dialogue. In my mind it was different.

Still one of the best games ever but I think 2, maybe even 3 are much better.
🤔

BouncyFrag

Playing on PS4 and am happy so far. The level up sound effect in the first ME is so good. I had forgotten about the side arm pitching animation for the frisbee grenades, lol.

kyussman

So they didn't touch up any of the side mission enviroments,they could have thrown a few new assets in there to liven them up a bit,same few crates scattered about and identical decor.....enjoying ME1 so far though.....it's crazy how fast gaming moves on,it's certainly showing it's age in many ways.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I vegged out so hard on this game all weekend. Once I booted up Mass Effect 2, there was no looking back. Somehow the memory of this game became tarnished in my mind, and had me thinking it was just a dull third-person shooter with a few rpg dressings, and nothing else to show.

Now? I'm thinking it's the biggest casualty of the last generation. What a franchise to, more or less, lose.

Just started up my PS4 for a session and patch 1.02 adds another nearly 12GB's.
Update on Xbox too.

Patch notes:

Last edited:

nowhat

Shepard crazy eyes are fucking hilarious tho.
(S)he's not the only one (some NPCs really have their moments as well), but agreed. Andromeda received some shader tweaks that made the eyes much more tolerable post-launch, hopefully that will be the case here as well.

(yet another +11GB patch loading right now)

(oh and just to be clear, Andromeda sucks - but they did improve the eyes so credit where credit is due)

Last edited:

GymWolf

(S)he's not the only one (some NPCs really have their moments as well), but agreed. Andromeda received some shader tweaks that made the eyes much more tolerable post-launch, hopefully that will be the case here as well.

(yet another +11GB patch loading right now)

(oh and just to be clear, Andromeda sucks - but they did improve the eyes so credit where credit is due)
Another patch? Are you on pc?

About halfway through 1 and at times it looks really nice for a remaster. People who aren’t actually playing it but instead watching YouTube videos with cherry picked screens should actually play it before complaining.
B-b-buh-but dis is NeoGAF! We don't actually "play" games, we bitch and moan about meaningless shit and come up with ludicrous reasons to shit on games, YOU want to discuss and enjoy games? Where do you think we are? Twitter?

Top Bottom