• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets guess the next Director's Cuts from PlayStation

What are the next Director's Cut releases from PlayStation? (Pick as many as you want)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kyliethicc

Sounds like Hermen is teasing more Director's Cuts they have not yet announced. So which ones are next?

Key criteria for candidates:
- on PS4
- singleplayer story (primarily)
- will have new content (DLC) added
- would sell enough
- could benefit from a remaster
- currently not on PS5 natively (maybe)
- can be for PS4 & PS5 (like Ghost) or PS5 only (like Death Stranding)
- can then be ported to PC (most likely)

Ghost & DS we know are. Spidey got remastered so rule that one out.

I've included a few of their recent PS5 games that could possibly be re-released with DLC in a year or so. Who knows.

Obvious candidates to me are The Last of Us (remake), The Last of Us Part II, and Days Gone. God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn seem less likely because of imminent sequels coming to PS5, unlike Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding.. and The Last of Us... and Days Gone. That's my thinking. They want to port over key big IP to PS5 that will not have a new release coming in 2022 or 2023. The Last of Us multiplayer is not the same thing as a Part 3, doesn't fill that need. And if that JS rumored remake of TLOU is real, they'll definitely call it "Director's Cut" not remake.

Lets make some predictions. What do you think?

zlZnP17.jpg

Last edited:

demigod

Naughty Dogs makes a game like once every 5 years so i doubt anything from them would be out soon. I’ll take my chances with Bloodborne.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Gravity rush.

nah just jk lol

Probably bloodborne i think, and also tlou2

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Uncharted
I can see a 60fps patch for Uncharted 4 and Uncharted Lost Legacy. I think they're going to release an Uncharted Collection which will have graphical upgrades. If they release this on PC, I wonder if they're going to keep the multiplayer intact.

God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn
We still haven't received a 60fps patch for HZD. I think both titles will have upgrade paths similar to Spider-Man: Miles Morales.

Last of Us Part II
Naughty Dog said they want to put the "same level of ambition and quality" as their single player titles, so it's possible that they might release a Director's Cut that has part story DLC (that's separate from the main story ) and multiplayer with a $20-$30 upgrade that will include PS5 enhancements.

THEAP99

Banned

Sounds like Herman is teasing more Director's Cuts they have not yet announced. So which ones are next?

Key criteria for candidates:
- on PS4
- singleplayer story (primarily)
- will have new content (DLC) added
- would sell enough
- could benefit from a remaster
- currently not on PS5 natively (maybe)
- can be for PS4 & PS5 (like Ghost) or PS5 only (like Death Stranding)
- can then be ported to PC (most likely)

Ghost & DS we know are. Spidey got remastered so rule that one out.

I've included a few of their recent PS5 games that could possibly be re-released with DLC in a year or so. Who knows.

Obvious candidates to me are The Last of Us (remake), The Last of Us Part II, and Days Gone. God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn seem less likely because of imminent sequels coming to PS5, unlike Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding.. and The Last of Us... and Days Gone. That's my thinking. They want to port over key big IP to PS5 that will not have a new release coming in 2022 or 2023. The Last of Us multiplayer is not the same thing as a Part 3, doesn't fill that need. And if that JS rumored remake of TLOU is real, they'll definitely call it "Director's Cut" not remake.

Lets make some predictions. What do you think?

zlZnP17.jpg

The directors for days gone don't even work at bend studio anymore so that probably isn't happening. I'd say the last of us part 2 is a most likely candidate. I can see them maybe having some new mechanics or weapons (like picking up bodies) and maybe bundling it with the factions.

Last year Druckmann made it clear he doesn't want dlc. But maybe adding an extra day to Ellie and Abby's stories in the game won't really be considered an expansion but just more content.

Last edited:
It‘s definitely a TLOU1&2 Factions2 combo coming with slight edits to both stories. Nothing major. Just that so part 2 flows a little better. 70$

And Returnal is gonna get heavy DLC with more enemies and one or two more biomes with various easter egg suits. 70$

The rest. NAH. Spiderman will catch interest in name alone.

RaZoR No1

PS5 Directors Cut,
Bigger SSD, Black Faceplates etc. /s

I think it will be TLOU2
Like TLOU1 it will get a better next gen version and they will call it Directors Cut.

kyliethicc

The directors for days gone don't even work at bend studio anymore so that probably isn't happening. I'd say the last of us part 2 is a most likely candidate. I can see them maybe having some new mechanics or weapons (like picking up bodies) and maybe bundling it with the factions.

Last year Druckmann made it clear he doesn't want dlc. But maybe adding an extra day to Ellie and Abby's stories in the game won't really be considered an expansion but just more content.
For TLOU2 I can only see them adding simple bits like alternate skins for characters to wear (like they did in TLOU remaster). I doubt they made any DLC. Anyway, the multiplayer would still count as "new content" as Hermen said all Director's Cuts will have.

I could see a TLOU2 DC + multiplayer release for same as Ghost DC - $60/$70 and $20/$30 upgrade PS4/PS5. Sony would basically be charging $20 for the multiplayer for existing TLOU2 PS4 owners, and then $10 more for the PS5 version. I could see Sony then also selling the multiplayer as a standalone game for like $50 PS4/PS5. Neil did say they have "no plans for DLC" but maybe things changed after he said that. Or maybe there will not be a TLOU2 DC and instead just be a normal remaster like Spider-man got. Idk.

As for Days Gone, I could see Sony wanting to milk the IP in order to make some extra cash from the hardcore Days Gone fans. We know there will not be a Days Gone 2 anytime soon. But Sony did a PC port. So maybe they'd have Bend make like 3-5 hours of DLC to add onto a native PS5 version to sell for $70 (or $30 upgrade.) Then put that on PC later on too. It'd be a fairly easy way to get some extra money out of the Days Gone IP while most of Bend makes their new IP.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

Shadow of the Colossus & The Last Guardian dual pack - Directors' Cut. Make it happen Sony.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
TLoU2 is the only one I could think of - Sony barely bothered with older games to get them a Pro patch, now a PS5 patch, they're basically done with them, so I wouldn't expect games like KZSF, BB, UC4, HZD, GoW etc. a re-release. The games released in the past 1-2 years on the other hand, most of them already received a nice post-launch treatment and studios are already known to be working on the sequels, not expansions/additional content. TLoU2 is the only one that isn't a closed book yet, ND is still working on Factions 2, and that leaves open door for a lot of opportunities, like some additional PS5 enhancements, epilogue/story expansion, anything that can be added along with F2 as a DC edition.

Markio128

If I could choose, I would opt for Uncharted 4, with DLC and a PS5 makeover. And yes, I would pay £20-£30 for it. However, my head says TLOU2 with a PS5 update and online component.

Perrott

Gold Member
Bloodborne would be the strongest candidate, but I don't see it being labeled as a "Director's Cut".

Ellery

My top 2 picks would be TLOU2 and Bloodborne closely followed by God of War.

TLOU2 and God of War already got a 60fps patch so Bloodborne would be the one in desperate need of it.

But considering how talented Naughty Dog is I think that if TLOU2 got a "Director's Cut" (for lack of a better word) it would gain the most out of it, because Naughty Dog doesn't take any shortcuts. So I could imagine TLOU2 getting such a big upgrade that it would be 4K 60fps raytracing and more.
For God of War we are probably too close to the Sequel and they are busy working on that. Since they had to delay it once already I don't see them having time to improve God of War 2018.

I really want Bloodborne to at least get some sort of attention. It has been a long time for me since I played it, but I can still remember the loading times and framepacing. It would be such an easy "fix" for the PS5 hardware to make that game more enjoyable.

Bartski

Gold Member
TLOU2 is the obvious candidate to get one, there is s much space for single-player DLC akin to Left Behind, more backstory especially regarding the Seraphites...
What the game really just needs tho is to fix asset streaming get rid of the awful pop - in on PS5, any other lighting and in-game model detail upgrades would be incredible.
My bet is on us getting something bigger, optionally bundled with Factions 2.

Last edited:

Codes 208

As much as I really want it to be bloodborne, Sony has a weird tenancy to make director cuts of recently released games (GoT, Death Stranding)
So my bet is on The Last of Us II

wvnative

The last of us remake might get the director's cut label. Might do one for last of us 2 as well. I don't see any of those other games getting the treatment though

Kuranghi

I voted God of War, mostly because I want a customisable difficulty where I can choose enemy health, damage and aggressiveness separately, I kept dying to certain enemies due to being too impatient (I found it really boring to be go through the motions of a battle if I was patient) but when I lowered the difficulty it was boring as fuck "enemy aggression"-wise.

Give me high aggression, medium player health and low-medium enemy health and I'll be much more inclined to go back to it because I loved so much about it: the characters, exploring the world, the puzzles, collectibles, etc. The combat just wasn't for me the way it was setup, I got to point where I started just throwing the axe at enemies from a distance, then retreating when they came too close and repeating that because I was just so frustrated with actually fighting "properly", at that point I just fell off it and put it aside, massive disappointment for me.

I think I was like 12-15 hours in as well so I did have some powers but didnt seem to help me in the battles, just didnt click for me, in a similar way to DmC.

xrnzaaas

To be honest all PS4 first party games already look good or they can benefit from a 'simple' next-gen patch bumping the resolution, the framerate and the textures.

I would prefer is Sony focused on proper sequels or other new games. Or bringing back some PS3 games as remakes would be cool. I'd play Killzone or Resistance remakes.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Rebuying games from a year ago… and people thought HD remasters were lame… :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Top Bottom