• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden: Xbox is working on a Xbox handheld, multiple prototypes in the works

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
They may as well, right? Sony put out a streaming device and it sold out in a day or two. With Microsoft's strong presence in cloud and streaming tech a go at handheld gaming seems like a no brainer to me.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Beyond DOA if real.

I'm interested, hope there is a beast on offer with loss leading power packed emulation enabled and with the full xbox/game pass library plus a screen like no other. I hope the surface design team are on board too.

StereoVsn

Unless it has Steam support, it immediately runs into both every problem the traditional Xbox HW console has, but now with the added benefit of having an established competitor in the market that gets every single game that the Xbox Handheld with but also already a part of your library (Steam Deck), and it now has to directly compete in the same space Nintendo is in, which is something Xbox HW hasn't had to do in a long while, not directly anyway.

Also, given how the install base is already gonna be quite limited, not sure how you're gonna convince devs to get behind it, but they do have a fleet for a 1st party so I guess that evens it out.
The assumption would be that the handheld would run the same games as Xbox Series at approximately XSS level. So no need for dedicated games, that would be an immediate failure.

Edit: My wild guess is if this happens it would be on the Qualcomm’s new platform employing x86 emulation.

Last edited:

Elios83

I think we can all agree that if they ask developers to do any job on dedicated games this thing is already DOA.
Their only options are either to make a direct Steamdeck competitor and the games run as best as they can or to try to make a 1:1 handheld version of Series S.
Price will be necessarily high, 500$ and with a lot of competition that offers more freedom and features if they wall garden this product just into the Xbox ecosystem.
It's not a bad idea but it's hard to expect big numbers for this product.

Last edited:
That's all Xbox needs to turn things around, another piece of HW, especially in a market already saturated with gaming handhelds. No need to improve their management and output.
tenor.gif

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
You mean look how they sold a ton of them ? Because like it or not, that's what happened.
It's not a matter of what I "like or not", what happened was it ended up being a dead end in the end. Your follow up to a success isn't supposed to fail and actually make things worse for the next gen device. The original was also considered the start of the degradation to Xbox releases because the focus shifted and never quite got back on track. History looks back on Kinect being an out-of-the-gate success because of the era it released, but it did nothing to move the medium forward and subsequently was abandoned by Microsoft due to that. We're not talking Dual Analog, Haptics, or Triggers here.

So, you're beating your chest over a "success" that turned out to be an achilles heel.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

A handheld to play the same exciting games that their console output. Yes that will move the needle. Any ms hardware is as exciting as getting a vasectomy. I get goosebumps just to think about it. These are exciting times for Xbox fans.

A 'native handheld'. What does that even mean? It will connect/stream your game pass library right? So what part of that is 'native' vs. 'cloud-based'? There's no way Microsoft can support two devices; not software wise anyway; they haven't supported Xbox consoles with competent software since 2005-2007.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
A 'native handheld'. What does that even mean? It will connect/stream your game pass library right? So what part of that is 'native' vs. 'cloud-based'? There's no way Microsoft can support two devices; not software wise anyway; they haven't supported Xbox consoles with competent software since 2005-2007.
I'd goes as far to say it was up to 2010, prior to the Kinect release. After that, it was largely downhill (though there were bright spots such as Gears 3) and hasn't recovered.

What happens for a potential handheld? Who knows. I actually think if their cards are played strategically, it won't end up in a Kinect-like situation.

twilo99

Does AMD have the tech to make Series S apu in handheld form?

I don’t think so.

Unless they have a way of delivering the same performance from ~20W instead of ~75W, which is what the xss uses, all the talk about a “portable series s performance” is pointless

cireza

It's not a matter of what I "like or not", what happened was it ended up being a dead end in the end. Your follow up to a success isn't supposed to fail and actually make things worse for the next gen device. The original was also considered the start of the degradation to Xbox releases because the focus shifted and never quite got back on track. History looks back on Kinect being an out-of-the-gate success because of the era it released, but it did nothing to move the medium forward and subsequently was abandoned by Microsoft due to that. We're not talking Dual Analog, Haptics, or Triggers here.

So, you're beating your chest over a "success" that turned out to be an achilles heel.
Reads like some narrative you want to push. Microsoft released a product that fitted well in that era and encountered a good success. People eventually went to like something else. Unprecedented.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Reads like some narrative you want to push. Microsoft released a product that fitted well in that era and encountered a good success. People eventually went to like something else. Unprecedented.
Narrative? No. It's what happened. They chased the massive success of the Wii, didn't allow the device to reach its full potential, and then abandoned it when the market said "no thanks".

That's a smaller issue, though. Yes, companies go through trial-and-error with their products, but the problem for Kinect was not that it faded, rather, what it did to a brand. Of course, that's more Microsoft's fault than the device because it (or rather, both) was a great piece of kit. It just went after something without fully being realized while Microsoft started to move away from the types of games that made the 360 so successful in the first place. In fact, I credit it as the first real downturn for Xbox. Had they treated it more like Sony was with The Move, I don't think it would have been nearly as detrimental.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

I think they can become a jack or all trades hardware wise because they're absolutely the master of a software ecosystem. You won't get a seamless Play Anywhere, Cross Save and Cross Progression anywhere else like in their Xbox ecosystem.

Rock on!! Like that is what excites people to get a console and be able to do that shit! They first need to master the art of make great games and greenlight cool projects.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Everyone initially cashed in on it, but it didn't really mean much in the end. It wasn't a sticking point for consoles (hence: "turned out"). Sony cashed in on 3D in the early 2010s, for example, and by the PS4's release, it was largely ignored based on the same principle.
Sure. Again, I was referring to a specific context of the statement, which I laid out. As I stated, we were talking past each other.
I don't know what Microsoft's plans are for a potential handheld, but if it's just to "have what the other guys do", I don't see it being much different than the historical rise and fall of stuff like Kinect.
I don't believe MS producing another handheld, just for PC games, would be the right move either, but we still don't know enough for any meaningful speculation. Where I differ from you is that I believe MS would be quite content with a product life cycle similiar to the Kinect. I would be shocked to have them move 24m units in a 3 year span. In other words, MS is just going after that "in vogue" handheld money, and I doubt they are looking at this product as some sort of magic bullet that will turn their fortunes longterm.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I don't believe MS producing another handheld, just for PC games, would be the right move either, but we still don't know enough for any meaningful speculation. Where I differ from you is that I believe MS would be quite content with a product life cycle similiar to the Kinect. I would be shocked to have them move 24m units in a 3 year span. In other words, MS is just going after that "in vogue" handheld money, and I doubt they are looking at this product as some sort of magic bullet that will turn their fortunes longterm.
I never stated what Microsoft's expectations would be, so we can't really differ on that front. :)

If it turns out to be a Kinect-like situation and they are satisfied with the result, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks anyway. If it's good, that's a thumbs up!

Last edited:

simpatico

Rebranded Ally with less options on where to buy games and what games you can play. Sounds like a super good idea. I know most Steam Deck owners always say: "I wish I had less game options and a beefy monthly fee". Probably the most commented thing in Steam Deck subreddits and forums.

If this thing can come out and play GTA6, Fortnite, and call of duty portably… and they heavily advertise that? It’ll do great.

GTA6 especially won’t be on pc at launch, and I doubt it’ll show up on switch 2, so… biggest game of the generation? And you can take it on the go with you? And Xbox portable is the only device that can offer that?

You’re out of your mind if you don’t see that as a compelling sales pitch. Think about how many people only play the three games I listed above and nothing else.

Last edited:

DJ12

I'm less enthused about the handheld seeing how rubbish the legion go performs and how long the battery lasts on full power.

Maybe they'll not go down the x86-64 route then it will be more of an unknown.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Meh. Dont care about handheld gaming. I dont think it'd be successful either. Then again, I dont know how many Steamdecks and Allys and such have sold, but I dont see an MS portable doing well anyway.

Last edited:

damidu

it would be their worst selling console ever, wouldnt expect anything less idiotic from the current xbox heads though.
so its probably coming.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sounds like a bad idea to me.

Here's the thing it can't be just native, even if it has native capabilities it also needs to support cloud streaming full-fat titles. If that's the case it needs a nice screen, which will ensure it won't be cheap. And if its priced above Switch 2, Nintendo are just going to continue to dominate as THE console you play on the go.

So yeah, essentially its got to compete with Steam Deck and the other portable PC's which undercuts its USP as a console. Because if you're spending that much on a portable, why limit just to a single platform vendor?

Duchess

One thing's for certain. If this turns out to be in any way popular / successful, Sony will be releasing their own handheld in short order.

SHA

Ouyeah! whatever, Hope it's not canceled down the road, I hate canceled projects, it just creates empty space in this industry.

Last edited:
Xbox Series S performance on handheld with 1440p graphics with FSR 3.1 and low TDP with 5G/Wifi6e-Wifi7 at a decent price point is not a bad idea.

MarkMe2525

After the Steam Deck I won't buy a handheld if It IS not as open as It, and It won't happen.
That is one of my concerns with an "xbox" handheld. It seems like it has to be a closed system and all of their competitors (outside of switch) is based on an open platform.

Top Bottom