• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden: Xbox is working on a Xbox handheld, multiple prototypes in the works

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Please be true.

please-hotjukes.gif
Too many people have been talking about it as of late

Its one of those I would be all in type of bets its coming and I mentioned this in another thread we are going to hear about it very soon

bender

What time is it?
Handhelds so hot right now w/ Steam Deck / Ally / Legion.

Gamers are way more willing to accept 800p @ 30fps than 4K @ 30fps which seems strange but portability greatly increases the appetite for compromise I guess.

I guess it depends on how we define "hot". There are a ton of options on the market but it's still a very niche product. It's safe to assume the Deck is the best selling of the options and while we don't have numbers from Valve, from the little data we do have, saying it's sold 5 million units probably a REALLY high estimate.

Too many people have been talking about it as of late

Its one of those I would be all in type of bets its coming and I mentioned this in another thread we are going to hear about it very soon
I honestly just want this to be the handheld that will finally bridge the gap and run console games and also .exe files(from places like steam or gog). It has always been an either/or situation with everything. This would be the moment to change it.

Gamers are way more willing to accept 800p @ 30fps than 4K @ 30fps which seems strange but portability greatly increases the appetite for compromise I guess.

lol what exactly do you consider so hot? Steam deck is selling the best as far as I know and it hasn't crossed even 10 million.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Every fan base will believe anything that scratches their taint. Xbox is in shite shape now, a handheld will help a lot.

I didn't mean that.

I honestly just want this to be the handheld that will finally bridge the gap and run console games and also .exe files(from places like steam or gog). It has always been an either/or situation with everything. This would be the moment to change it.

What would be the incentive for MS to do this? People will just get it to run their steam games. So now MS loses on the hardware purchase and loses the 30% from software sales.

What would be the incentive for MS to do this?
Because then they would finally, finally have a better handheld/gaming interface for windows handhelds than what Windows 11 offers. Everyone would win.

The reason we still don't is because they didn't care about it up until this point. Imagine an entire R&D department finally tackling this issue and everyone benefitting.

Because then they would finally, finally have a better handheld/gaming interface for windows handhelds than what Windows 11 offers. Everyone would win.

The reason we still don't is because they didn't care about it up until this point. Imagine an entire R&D department finally tackling this issue and everyone benefitting.

MS isn't benefiting though that's my point. People will use it to run steam and that's it. MS will miss out on the software sales. I think it's become pretty clear that MS is focused on selling their software above all else.

MS isn't benefiting though that's my point. People will use it to run steam and that's it. MS will miss out on the software sales. I think it's become pretty clear that MS is focused on selling their software above all else.

They didn't care enough about software sales that's why the brand is dead.....

They just lost the GamePass gamble

Everyone except Microsoft?

I suspect Gamepass really made Xbox customers see MS as a Charity. No wonder they stopped paying for games. If you get trained into believing that Xbox is about showering you with free gifts and want nothing in return, I guess you do have the justification to argue that this is the norm for you.

Killer8

Shifting your primary competitor from Sony to Nintendo is like moving out of the frying pan into the fire.

phant0m

I guess it depends on how we define "hot". There are a ton of options on the market but it's still a very niche product. It's safe to assume the Deck is the best selling of the options and while we don't have numbers from Valve, from the little data we do have, saying it's sold 5 million units probably a REALLY high estimate.

lol what exactly do you consider so hot? Steam deck is selling the best as far as I know and it hasn't crossed even 10 million.

Hot meaning the product space. 4 different manufacturers in just a couple years coming in to throw their hat in the ring and try different innovations in power, form factors, etc.

You could argue it really kicked off with the switch in 2017, but otherwise home consoles (as a product space) hasn’t innovated anything interesting in a decade. Both are x86-based black boxes with an AMD APU for the past 2 gens.

Also, EVERY game thread on GAF has people asking/talking about SD performance.

bender

What time is it?
Also, EVERY game thread on GAF has people asking/talking about SD performance.

Gaming messages boards are the worst way to gauge the broader market. I do agree with your assessment of hot as in it is very vogue for manufacturer's to create portable products, niche as they might be.

SaintALia

I see people keep saying this, but I don't think all those platforms have even sold 10 million WW, combined.

In regards to MS though. I hope they actually plan to differentiate themselves well enough in the handheld space, and not just; 'It's a Steamdeck, but Xbox!!!' . I suppose that'd be great for some people, but for the majority, I can't imagine why they'd bother. I'm also not sure if MS wants to have 3 SKUs out, with the newest one being worse than the one devs complain about getting decent performance from.

Mr.Phoenix

I am looking forward to hearing what DF thinks of it.

Personally, I think it's a fantastic idea, a 5th PC handheld is exactly what we need. Besides, As of last year, when this decision was probably made, I am sure handhelds were trending.

Everyone except Microsoft?

I suspect Gamepass really made Xbox customers see MS as a Charity. No wonder they stopped paying for games. If you get trained into believing that Xbox is about showering you with free gifts and want nothing in return, I guess you do have the justification to argue that this is the norm for you.
I've never had gamepass btw.

Wouldn't MS still benefit from all of the people who are buying windows handhelds if those handhelds run windows? Also wouldn't they benefit further if they run games like CoD on those handhelds?

I guess if you're against this idea of improving Windows 11, what alternative idea would you suggest for MS at this point? You know, aside from the 'roll over and quit' option when it comes to hardware?

Top Bottom