• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden: Xbox is working on a Xbox handheld, multiple prototypes in the works

If MS has proven anything in the last couple of years, it's that they do whatever the fuck they want and have absolutely no fear of bold or unconventional business decisions, as long as they themselves believe they will give them success to please their shareholders. With that being said
  • Be the first on the market to have a non-PC handheld device that allows you to play COD while taking a dump
  • Shitting all over your commitment to platform agnosticism and the whole "play wherever you like" slogans from the most recent past by making all of your stuff including ActiBlizz etc. exclusive to the Xbox platform
  • Having hardware engineers among the very best in the entire world and coming out with a superb machine that runs circles around the Switch 2
  • Offer the best cloud/streaming platform as a bonus
This could make a dent if they really tried.

Generic

If it's an Xbox Handheld, rather than a PC handheld, I think it'll be a tough sell. They don't have Nintendo's murder's row of exclusive software to push the thing, they don't have PC functionality to expand its feature set. I'm not sure I see the market for a portable Xbox Series S when something like the Steam Deck is around.
The appeal would be the Gamepass and crossprogression with main Xbox or PC.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
The dead end for Kinect V1 was the beginning of a new console generation. I'm sure any accessories made for current gen consoles would cease to be relevant, when the console manufacturers move to a new platform and don't allow the new console to use said accessory and related software.

If your argument was that Kinect V2 never managed to take off, then I would agree with you, but those are different devices on different platforms.

Edit: removed irrelevant comment.
My point is the Kinect didn't do anything in the grand scheme for Xbox. Like the Move, it ended up being little more than an accessory. Yes, it helped prolong the 360 at a time when motion controls were a big fad, but for the BRAND, it did little else and many would (and do) argue that's where the true downturn began.

Last edited:

onQ123

A Microsoft Handheld would easily be better than Sony & Nintendo handhelds because of Windows but than it has to compete with all the other Windows handhelds to the point where people would mostly overlook it but I think GTAVI would help drive home the fact that it's more than a Windows device.

Last edited:
What would be the incentive for MS to do this? People will just get it to run their steam games. So now MS loses on the hardware purchase and loses the 30% from software sales.
Exactly, don’t know why people are so stupid, it’s gonna be closed box like the all the other Xbox consoles, if ms are going succeed, not only dose it have to be a steam deck killer, in every aspect, battery life, screen, comfort, specs, it also needs some unique features, glasses free next gen 3d maybe, it needs something to set it apart from others.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Good choice, Nintendo and Steam have opened the doors for handhelds to have modern games. Not dedicated portable games

Last edited:

DrFigs

This is gonna be a really tough sell. why would anyone buy the xbox handheld instead of any of the other half dozen pc handhelds that already allow you to play xbox games?

Last edited:
They will still bring a traditional based console but I THINK its going to be more expensive than what people are used to
Unless the handheld somehow manages to do Steam integration or is a Windows OS that lets you install Steam on it, then I can't see this taking off either.

This is gonna be a really tough sell. why would anyone buy the xbox handheld instead of any of the other half dozen pc handhelds that already allow you to play xbox games?
Unless it has Steam support, it immediately runs into both every problem the traditional Xbox HW console has, but now with the added benefit of having an established competitor in the market that gets every single game that the Xbox Handheld with but also already a part of your library (Steam Deck), and it now has to directly compete in the same space Nintendo is in, which is something Xbox HW hasn't had to do in a long while, not directly anyway.

Also, given how the install base is already gonna be quite limited, not sure how you're gonna convince devs to get behind it, but they do have a fleet for a 1st party so I guess that evens it out.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Unless the handheld somehow manages to do Steam integration or is a Windows OS that lets you install Steam on it, then I can't see this taking off either.
I think the writing is on the wall for Xbox and if things don’t turn around with this handheld and an expensive big boy console that could very well be their last

They are still doubling down this next gen

MarkMe2525

My point is the Kinect didn't do anything in the grand scheme for Xbox. Like the Move, it ended up being little more than an accessory. Yes, it helped prolong the 360 at a time when motion controls were a big fad, but for the BRAND, it did little else and many would (and do) argue that's where the true downturn began.
I'm sorry, but I think we are talking past each other, as I am in no way talking about the Kinects impact on the Xbox brand. I thought you were insinuating that MS wasn't able to cash in on that "wii crowd money" with the Kinect, and I was just affirming that MS actually did. Maybe I missed your original point.
Seems like MS is seeing the money Nintendo is making and wants in on it.

Just like with Kinect after the Wii's massive success.

And look how that turned out :p

The Kinect V1 was a phenomenal success for them. It sold them 10m Xboxes at the end of its life cycle.
I would like to add, with the current rise of handheld PC's, I wouldn't count out the rumored "Xbox Handheld" before we know anything about it. Regardless if Xbox is someone's current primary platform, there are dozens of millions of people who own digital Xbox content (going back to 360) that might find it attractive to play on the go. The gamepass proposition also allows for a "built in library" for newcomers. Just saying, this doesn't have to put up Xbox 360 numbers to be a big win for MS.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

Exactly, don’t know why people are so stupid, it’s gonna be closed box like the all the other Xbox consoles, if ms are going succeed, not only dose it have to be a steam deck killer, in every aspect, battery life, screen, comfort, specs, it also needs some unique features, glasses free next gen 3d maybe, it needs something to set it apart from others.

Let me know when SteamDeck literally plays every game in my 20 year old library in steam alone, let alone older games.

I already have a ROG, why would I chump myself and get a MS handheld?

Despite me having multiple Asus products, I also know how bad Asus can be hardware wise. MS needs to nail this, or it's their nail in the coffin as far as the gaming market goes (hardware wise).

Last edited:
I think the writing is on the wall for Xbox and if things don’t turn around with this handheld and an expensive big boy console that could very well be their last

They are still doubling down this next gen
Honestly, based on some convos i've had, i'm honestly not secure in the notion that we even make to the point of this HW launching. So much more money to be made focusing on SW and not worrying about the costs of dealing in the HW space.

SoloCamo

what is funny is that MS created windows and they keep messing around it

If MS sold a legit bloat free Windows OS I'd pay for it for every system. But hey, their profit loss in the mean time. Yea, you can manually do it, but I'm that lazy that unfortunately a supported experience is worth the money to me.

Last edited:

Beechos

Native handheld like a portable series s would be day 1. Theres def a market for a high quality handheld. Something like this can turn around ms fortunes. They are prob the only 1 out of the big 3 that I have confidence of making something powerful and portable. Series engineers working together with surface engineers would make a damn fine handheld.

Understand this is a rumor and none of this confirmed but what is the point of this? A native handheld form MS... So they want to have 3 skus, unless they they can get it to play series s ran games (I'm doubtful that's even possible at this point).

Idk, this is just MS just not understanding the market yet again. Everytime they struggle they seem to try EVERYTHING except make compelling first party games. Like maybe they come out with something that is truly awesome and revolutionary but I can't see this doing better than switch 2, deck or hell even PS portal. Side note, if PS Portal is able to add cloud gaming support through some type of software/firmware upgrade, holy fuck I think that thing can take off more than it has.

Ashamam

f they're still prototyping then you're not going to be seeing it anytime in the near future.

You're also not getting an AMD powered series s into a handheld until 2026 at least.
Yep, seems like the elephant in the room. Keeping in mind this would be a first instead of iteration, there would be a lot to solve.

Also people just casually saying it could be a S in a heldheld form factor kind of ignores the fact it would have to sit on an entirely different class of APU. So even if its fairly performant its not likely to be similarly balanced across CPU/GPU for instance. So a bit more complicated for Xbox developers, it would be an additional SKU performance target to optimise towards. Fine for 1st party, but what about everyone else?

SoloCamo

So even if its fairly performant its not likely to be similarly balanced across CPU/GPU for instance.

My bought in Jan 2020 $350 Ryzen 7 4700U 15w tdp laptop already has a cpu barely slower than a Ryzen 5 3600X desktop cpu, I'm sure in 4 years and with MS paying for a custom chip they'll be fine. Better to have a fast cpu to handle min fps and and an ok gpu that can lower settings anyways. I assure you, low settings on a mobile screen will still look better to most people than on a big tv with a more powerful gpu. Having a crisp clean image is key. MS is backed into a corner, we'll see what money can do if they are willing to spend it.

Last edited:

Ashamam

Better to have a fast cpu to handle min fps and and an ok gpu that can lower settings anyways. I assure you, low settings on a mobile screen will still look better to most people than on a big tv with a more powerful gpu. Having a crisp clean image is key. MS is backed into a corner, we'll see what money can do if they are willing to spend it.
All fine but you ignored my point. Unless it exceeds the S and can essentially emulate it, it will actually have its own performance profile. So not a straight pick up the S version and package it for the handheld.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

All fine but you ignored my point. Unless it exceeds the S and can essentially emulate it, it will actually have its own performance profile. So not a straight pick up the S version and package it for the handheld.

Most of these games are on pc too, with lower settings than the S being an option. Sure, I get your point but it's really not that complicated if the CPU is similar or better performing. I'm not saying it's a 5 minute fix here, but if MS wants this to be successful they will pay for the inconvenience.

Last edited:

Ashamam

Sure, I get your point but it's really not that complicated if the CPU is similar or better performing. I'm not saying it's a 5 minute fix here, but if MS wants this to be successful they will pay for the inconvenience.
It raises questions about back compatibility performance etc. If its part of the Xbox family rather than being a PC handheld competitor it ends up with all the baggage attached. The BC side of things would probably have to be down to MS, but for devs going forward they will be saddled with meeting QA on a third SKU. All I can say is they better sell a lot of them or devs will just opt out, and if its the option of all Xbox SKU's or none, the devs might chose none.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

It raises questions about back compatibility performance etc. If its part of the Xbox family rather than being a PC handheld competitor it ends up with all the baggage attached. The BC side of things would probably have to be down to MS, but for devs going forward they will be saddled with meeting QA on a third SKU. All I can say is they better sell a lot of them or devs will just opt out, and if its the option of all Xbox SKU's or none, the devs might chose none.

I agree, they either go hard on this or fail. Spreading yourself over three SKU's is a complete disaster. At this point they should honestly focus on pointing out how Windows 10/11/12 are the premier gaming experience with some actual improvements (less bloat that will help the mobile version and the pc platform itself) and offer a handheld version of it. I just don't know how MS flounders so much and misses great opportunities, it really blows my mind. I've still got my OG 2001 Xbox on the shelf next to me plugged in ready to go just to remember the good times.

Kumomeme

lol imagine how worse DD2 gonna run on it. even Series S run terrible.

0y8LDYL.png

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I'm sorry, but I think we are talking past each other, as I am in no way talking about the Kinects impact on the Xbox brand. I thought you were insinuating that MS wasn't able to cash in on that "wii crowd money" with the Kinect, and I was just affirming that MS actually did. Maybe I missed your original point.
Everyone initially cashed in on it, but it didn't really mean much in the end. It wasn't a sticking point for consoles (hence: "turned out"). Sony cashed in on 3D in the early 2010s, for example, and by the PS4's release, it was largely ignored based on the same principle.

I don't know what Microsoft's plans are for a potential handheld, but if it's just to "have what the other guys do", I don't see it being much different than the historical rise and fall of stuff like Kinect.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Microsoft is always late to the party.

There's already enough handhelds on the market, and by the time they release something the market will be severely oversaturated.

Besides that, Sony tried twice and failed. Yeah a big part of that was the proprietary memory and lack of game support, but one of those issues already plagues Microsoft.

How Microsoft actually thinks they can succeed, I don't know.

Last edited:

Nydius

There's already enough handhelds on the market, and by the time they release something the market will be severely oversaturated.

Pretty much exactly what I came here to type.

Microsoft is habitually late to these markets. Late to PDAs, late to media players, late to smartphones, late to tablets. Now late to handhelds. Unless they make something that blows the doors off the other Windows handhelds currently on the market (not to mention the Steam Deck) and they do it at a price point that no one can beat, they are, once again, chasing their tail.

Crayon

Yeah this sounds like a Philish idea. If he thought going up against Sony was tough just wait till he gets a 1000hp turbofisting from Nintendo.

The guy is one of those “lets throw a ton of shit at the wall and see if something sticks” types.

If something turns out real, he will just claim that he was right all along and his information would be valid.

IAmRei

If it cloud based, it will have a hard time convincing people in third world which internet is kind of slower. almost at snail pace, slower than Elcor doing rap, like ATB with slow three fold...

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Not sure why people magically think this will fail, it potentially has more broad appeal than x or s for some people.

- supports gamepass
- plays all your xbox games
- runs xbox os (so comments about windows are dumb)
- hooks to a tv, has dual purpose like switch. If they are crafty they include a wireless hdmi dongle instead of a dock.
- ms has a history a very nicely designed hardware last 3 machines (x, s, xbox one x)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Gonna shit all over PS Portal if they make this work. Proper cloud streaming, bluetooth support etc will be ace.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'd wouldn't rush to release this product. Let the Switch successor be on the market for a while so you can release a significantly more powerful machine.

While I would love to be wrong, the odds that nintendo's portable will be anywhere near as powerfull are very slim, Nintendo is too cheap to pay for an expensive chip and ram.

Zuzu

Developers are going to have to make sure that their games have a wide range of scalability if they're going to be expected to support both the Xbox Portable and the next high end Xbox that's coming out. That could prove to be quite challenging.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member

Besides that, Sony tried twice and failed. Yeah a big part of that was the proprietary memory and lack of game support, but one of those issues already plagues Microsoft.

How Microsoft actually thinks they can succeed, I don't know.
Worth noting that this type of device side steps Sony's issues. This doesn't just run Microsoft's games - it's a Series S in your hands: it'll run every Xbox game. Assassin's Creed, Madden, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy - all automatically supported. Sony simply didn't convince anyone to develop exclusive titles; Microsoft doesn't need to convince anyone. The issue is: does the market want a mini Xbox in their hands? It doesn't seem to want one at all right now, so I'm not sure making it smaller solves the problems Xbox has.

Top Bottom