• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Ross confirms Days Gone 2 was still in development when he left in 2020 (contradicting Jason S)

Fake

5.5 million is not massively successful.

Depends. What was the cost dev of Days Gone? Are you counting Days Gone will have a PC version that will boost up the already dead sales figures?

Thats all thinks to consider. As much games like God of War and TLOUS2 sales well, they cost a loads of money to make.

yurinka

Is Jim Ryan fucking shit up at Sony? Maybe. Is it the end of Playstation? Not likely.
Numbers say they are doing a better job than the other console makers, and everyone who were in their positions before.

Do you remember how Sony royally fucked up PS3 at launch at the hands that created one of the most successful gaming brands in history and still came back before the end of the gen? Do you seriously think there is any opportunity Jim can fuck shit even worst than that and not be able to recover maybe next gen?
They made several huge mistakes related to PS3 launch. None of them were repeated again, and didn't have similar mistakes of that level. And MS was way stronger than is now.

Also, do you really think Jim Ryan is as stupid as some people are trying portray him? This guy was responsible for Play Station in Europe, probably the place in the world where the brand is best positioned. He is not a rando picked up from the street.
I live in Spain, an European country where PS outsells 11:1 Xbox in the relatively recent sales charts.

Depends. What was the cost dev of Days Gone? Are you counting Days Gone will have a PC version that will boost up the already dead sales figures?
We know Days Gone already was profitable since while ago, seems that it was one of the most played games of the PS Collection at least during the first week and people liked it now its properly patched and optimize some time after launch. They included it this month on PS Plus now that Jason is shitting it, so it will generate more money and more people will discover it and will generate more positive buzz, like with the PC port.

We know it sold over 5M copies, a great figure that not a lot of games achive. Pretty likely will sell some million more with all this positive buzz and the PC port. Knowing it was profitable, doesn't matter how much did it cost. It's a successful game.

If you want to get a reference of its development budget compared to TLOU2, you can check out the amount of people that appears on its game credits on Mobygames: 2331 people in TLOU2 vs 1679 people in Days Gone.

If Sony is putting Bend Studios down it has been happening for a long time now. Could it be that Sony sees Bend Studios as a B tier development studio or a studio focused on B productions? It very well could be. However, I personally think that if they do it's because there is a reason behind that. It could be that they just need that position to be filled (and someone has to do it) or because they have elements to believe Bend Studios is better off making those kinds of games because they lack the talent for more.
A Bend guy says in LinkedIn they are working now in the biggest game of the studio, which according to Jason is a new IP. How is giving them a new IP to be their biggest game putting them down? A new IP is more risky than a sequel. Specially a sequel of a game that sold at least 5M and has been the best selling game of the studio. That shows confidence in Sony's side, not putting them down.

In addition to this, the director of Days Gone was respectful with Jason but basically denied all the stuff related to Bend mentioned in Jason's article that he could talk about. He implied DG2 passed the pitch and that it was alive when he left 4 months ago instead of being killed in 2019 as Jason says. He also denied to have any problem with ND and that the studio never feared of ending as a ND support studio, that both studios collaborate when they need it: that is when one has a peak of work and the other one has people free, specially between projects and had nice words for Neil. He denied to have any problem with the heads of PlayStation Studios, SCEA or PlayStation, had nice words for them saying they were supportive, patience and provided good feedback about DG. Unlike what is mentioned in the article, he said he left Sony for personal reasons not related to their projects, strategy or leadership. Because he's 50 years old and wants to release at least a couple of games more before retiring, he doesn't want to work on these super long AAA games like Days Gone even if he's proud of DG1 and liked the idea of DG2.

Honest question. Whats up with the Jason hate around here?
Also the developer is under NDA and don’t want to ruin his career. He basically can’t say shit.
Jason or his sources made up a lot of stuff in another Jason article where (not the first time he does that) shit is thrown to ND & co. And does it painting a picture that (again) doesn't match with the opinion of devs involved.

The dev couldn't talk about the Uncharted and the multiplayer game due to NDA, but other than that he basically debunked everything else mentioned about Bend and Bend's top staff in the article. But he's nice instead of calling out Jason, and mentions the article is legit at least in other parts (which seems to confirm they did work on the multiplayer game and the Uncharted game, and that in some way it's understandable someone may thought in 2019 that DG2 was cancelled).

Last edited:

MrSec84

I didn't twist anything, I simply pointed out your wild speculations and claims that have zero evidence backing them up. I get that everyone is trying to paint their own narrative, but lets at least stick to facts.

You said I said that Bend were making something bigger than Days Gone 2, I didn't say that, I pointed to the Bend developer's own work history and that they had said they were making the biggest game they've ever made, which is true.

I based my my comments on people saying that Jeff Ross had said Days Gone 2 was still in development when he left his job at Bend Studio and I wasn't speculating wildly at all, it's not wild to think that a games development studio could have a project kept under raps from parts of the studio.
If I'm working in Admin I wouldn't need to know whether Days Gone 2 is in the works, but the Director working on the game is directly creating it.

We don't have a clue what the real facts are, we only have rumours and vague discussions, I'll discuss what I like within the bounds of this thread's discussion topic thank you.
You and I don't need to keep replying to each other, I'll make the posts I want to make.

Papacheeks

Banned
What about 8-10M+ would you consider that successful?

Numbers say they are doing a better job than the other console makers, and everyone who were in their positions before.

They made several huge mistakes related to PS3 launch. None of them were repeated again, and didn't have similar mistakes of that level. And MS was way stronger than is now.

I live in Spain, an European country where PS outsells 11:1 Xbox in the relatively recent sales charts.

We know Days Gone already was profitable since while ago, seems that it was one of the most played games of the PS Collection at least during the first week and people liked it now its properly patched and optimize some time after launch. They included it this month on PS Plus now that Jason is shitting it, so it will generate more money and more people will discover it and will generate more positive buzz, like with the PC port.

We know it sold over 5M copies, a great figure that not a lot of games achive. Pretty likely will sell some million more with all this positive buzz and the PC port. Knowing it was profitable, doesn't matter how much did it cost. It's a successful game.

If you want to get a reference of its development budget compared to TLOU2, you can check out the amount of people that appears on its game credits on Mobygames: 2331 people in TLOU2 vs 1679 people in Days Gone.

A Bend guy says in LinkedIn they are working now in the biggest game of the studio, which according to Jason is a new IP. How is giving them a new IP to be their biggest game putting them down? A new IP is more risky than a sequel. Specially a sequel of a game that sold at least 5M and has been the best selling game of the studio. That shows confidence in Sony's side, not putting them down.

In addition to this, the director of Days Gone was respectful with Jason but basically denied all the stuff related to Bend mentioned in Jason's article that he could talk about. He implied DG2 passed the pitch and that it was alive when he left 4 months ago instead of being killed in 2019 as Jason says. He also denied to have any problem with ND and that the studio never feared of ending as a ND support studio, that both studios collaborate when they need it: that is when one has a peak of work and the other one has people free, specially between projects and had nice words for Neil. He denied to have any problem with the heads of PlayStation Studios, SCEA or PlayStation, had nice words for them saying they were supportive, patience and provided good feedback about DG. Unlike what is mentioned in the article, he said he left Sony for personal reasons not related to their projects, strategy or leadership. Because he's 50 years old and wants to release at least a couple of games more before retiring, he doesn't want to work on these super long AAA games like Days Gone even if he's proud of DG1 and liked the idea of DG2.

Jason or his sources made up a lot of stuff in another Jason article where (not the first time he does that) shit is thrown to ND & co. And does it painting a picture that (again) doesn't match with the opinion of devs involved
The dev couldn't talk about the Uncharted and the multiplayer game due to NDA, but other than that he basically debunked everything else mentioned about Bend and Bend's top staff in the article. But he's nice instead of calling out Jason, and mentions the article is legit at least in other parts (which seems to confirm they did work on the multiplayer game and the Uncharted game, and that in some way it's understandable someone may thought in 2019 that DG2 was cancelled).

Thats all thinks to consider. As much games like God of War and TLOUS2 sales well, they cost a loads of money to make.

Depending on how much it cost to make. They started in like 2013-2014 and didn't release it until 2019. And even though I think it's a pretty great game, it has its flaws. And 5.5 million is a good number. But its not like that number will grow astronomically even with the PC port. Myabe it does another million or so. 5.5 Million bacially takes cae of their production/marketing budgets.

Ghost of Tsushima is constantly selling, and it's going ona year old. Days gone did well, but it took it almost double the time. Why do you think they gave it away on Plus? Usually games are done selling at that point. Days gone is a $19.99 game and was heavily discounted within the first couple months.

I think things like that are signs of volume not moving as well as Sony would like.

I think they see that obviously there's interest, so I dont think we've seen the last of that IP. But sometimes its smart to put something on the shelf for a while then come back to it.

Last edited:

yurinka

Depending on how much it cost to make. They started in like 2013-2014 and didn't release it until 2019. And even though I think it's a pretty great game, it has its flaws. And 5.5 million is a good number. But its not like that number will grow astronomically even with the PC port. Myabe it does another million or so. 5.5 Million bacially takes cae of their production/marketing budgets.

Ghost of Tsushima is constantly selling, and it's going ona year old. Days gone did well, but it took it almost double the time. Why do you think they gave it away on Plus? Usually games are done selling at that point. Days gone is a $19.99 game and was heavily discounted within the first couple months.

I think things like that are signs of volume not moving as well as Sony would like.

I think they see that obviously there's interest, so I dont think we've seen the last of that IP. But sometimes its smart to put something on the shelf for a while then come back to it.
It's a very different case. Bend wasn't used to modern home console AAA games, they were a small team whose last home console AAA game was in the PS2 days. They had to grow, adapt and change their workflow. That requires extra time. Tsushima guys already made tons of AAA games before Tsushima.

It was the first open world game for Bend, so they needed time to adapt. Tsushima guys made a ton of open worlds before.

It was the first PS4 games for Bend, they needed time to adapt. Tsushima guys already published PS4 stuff before.

Bend had to adapt to a new game engine for them, needed time to adapt. Tsushima guys were using the same engine they had from before.

Days Gone (and Tsushima) was a new IP, which requires extra time compared to a sequel.

Considering all this, Days Gone taking 5-7 years is ok. Many games take this time under similar conditions. Now they already are big, used to Unreal Engine, to make big AAA home console open world games to make their next game will take less time, specially if it's a sequel where they already have a stable base to iterate, polish and build over it.

Specially considering DG had good sales (more than all their previous games combined) and now many people more will know and love the IP via PS Plus, PS Plus Collection and the PC port, it would make sense to give them a sequel. They would iron the flaws of the first one and double down in the good points plus would add stuff they couldn't include in the first one. It would be an Uncharted 2-like situation where the first title sets the base and the second one nails it.

I didn't twist anything, I simply pointed out your wild speculations and claims that have zero evidence backing them up. I get that everyone is trying to paint their own narrative, but lets at least stick to facts.

It is not a zero evidence. You will be ridiculed in the next few years

iJudged

Banned
i cant talk stoop GIF

Reindeer

I've told you, Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch also said years ago that they are working on their biggest game yet, and it was like that
Dude, seriously? You gonna use those couple of examples and act like they apply to all devs and all games? I don't even know what to say to you. Plus those studios didn't have articles coming out about them having sequals rejected. You totally missing the context and just wanna act like your theory is the absolute truth. Maybe just come down and wait for more info to come out like the rest of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, seriously? You gonna use those couple of examples and act like they apply to all devs and all games? I don't even know what to say to you. Plus those studios didn't have articles coming out about them having sequals rejected. You totally missing the context and just wanna act like your theory is the absolute truth. Maybe just come down and wait for more info to come out like the rest of us.

Bluepoint games 2 years ago

Bluepoint Games’ PS5 Project Will “Become The Achievement We’re Most Proud Of”

That game is Demon's Souls, their BIGGEST game yet

Last edited:

Reindeer

Bluepoint games 3 years ago

What does that have to do with Bend? Smh. We never heard investigative articles about Bluepoint's game being cancelled/rejected. Context man, context.

Last edited by a moderator:

A.Romero

Jason or his sources made up a lot of stuff in another Jason article where (not the first time he does that) shit is thrown to ND & co. And does it painting a picture that (again) doesn't match with the opinion of devs involved.

Thanks for backing up the points I made.

Papacheeks

Banned
It's a very different case. Bend wasn't used to modern home console AAA games, they were a small team whose last home console AAA game was in the PS2 days. They had to grow, adapt and change their workflow. That requires extra time. Tsushima guys already made tons of AAA games before Tsushima.

It was the first open world game for Bend, so they needed time to adapt. Tsushima guys made a ton of open worlds before.

It was the first PS4 games for Bend, they needed time to adapt. Tsushima guys already published PS4 stuff before.

Bend had to adapt to a new game engine for them, needed time to adapt. Tsushima guys were using the same engine they had from before.

Days Gone (and Tsushima) was a new IP, which requires extra time compared to a sequel.

Considering all this, Days Gone taking 5-7 years is ok. Many games take this time under similar conditions. Now they already are big, used to Unreal Engine, to make big AAA home console open world games to make their next game will take less time, specially if it's a sequel where they already have a stable base to iterate, polish and build over it.

Specially considering DG had good sales (more than all their previous games combined) and now many people more will know and love the IP via PS Plus, PS Plus Collection and the PC port, it would make sense to give them a sequel. They would iron the flaws of the first one and double down in the good points plus would add stuff they couldn't include in the first one. It would be an Uncharted 2-like situation where the first title sets the base and the second one nails it.

Without Gavin and Jeff that story died with them unless they had it 100% nailed down. They answered my question that basically it sounded like Syphon filter was in the same universe. I asked if they would have maybe done a game pre-outbreak where you play as gabrial logan.

Logan is looking for sarah and her facility she works at Pre-outbreak.

Then all shit breaks lose. Fast forward to a older grizzled Gabrial logan who is looking for sarah and finds decan. They had a co-op pitch for it if I remember. To me that would be a wholly wtf moment. If the game started out with a guy in spook suit during the outbreak in the city in one of the facilities looking for sarah.
You dont see his face since he's got a tact suit on. It's you going building to building in the city with infected and fighting other agents looking for sarah.

Person on coms sounds like a woman, and you hear her line go dead and it ends.
Fast forward to now, and Decan gets a call on the radio about some guy asking for him. Guy is at one of the outposts, has a motorcycle and is wearing an MC jacket. Boozer knows him from their days before the outbreak as they use to ride together. Unknown to boozer, this grizzled man is revealed to the audience and him during mid game to be gabrial logan. And that before the outbreak he went undercover to find more about sarah/decan and rode with boozer. Would go even farther with maybe gabrial realizing during a mission in afghanistan Decan saves his life.

The kicked would be Gabrial was the spook in the intro, and woman on the line was Lian xing aka his wife. SHe gets killed because of the outbreak, but not by freakers by apposing military that seemed to know where this outbreak was starting and seemed to know more than logan's government.
So gabrial starts out wanting revenge and things sarah started the outbreak with her research. He's been a mess and acholic. He's been cut lose for many years by government. And doesn't know the whole truth about what happend to his wife.
So reveal would be mid game, and you then instead of playing co-op, would be playing against one another in certain scenrios. So calling on a horde to the other npc/player would be cool just to distract them so you could complete your mission.

3/4 through the game I would put a twist that xing was pregnant during one of logan's mission when investigating the company/virus and had the kid hidden and kept it from logan. ANd meanwhile to add more drama sarah is pregnant during this title from the get go.

There's more I have written down but i dont want to derail.

Last edited:

tassletine

If I was in charge of a studio I'd have people deliberately leak false information just to keep creeps like Jason off the scent. I'd probably try and convince every head of every other studio to do it too, just for a laugh.

yurinka

Without Gavin and Jeff that story died with them unless they had it 100% nailed down. They answered my question that basically it sounded like Syphon filter was in the same universe. I asked if they would have maybe done a game pre-outbreak where you play as gabrial logan.
I saw the video, it was a good question. I thought the same when playing the game, and specially after seeing the easter egg. I'd like to see both universes officially linked.

Bluepoint games 2 years ago

Yes, Demon's Souls have been their biggest project until now. They did a great job, they should be proud of it.

Last edited:

SilentUser

I absolutely loved your post. Mature and well founded, explains in details what is wrong and what is your opinion without being rude, agressive or immature. Wish everyone here was more like you.

CamHostage

If I was in charge of a studio I'd have people deliberately leak false information just to keep creeps like Jason off the scent. I'd probably try and convince every head of every other studio to do it too, just for a laugh.

Because, of course, true titans of industry do it all for the LOLs and the PWNs...

700,000 copies is going to be a boost? It's not even good business for Sony, hopefully it's a one time thing and not all exclusives will come.

yurinka

700,000 copies is going to be a boost? It's not even good business for Sony, hopefully it's a one time thing and not all exclusives will come.
According to Gamstat (website that tracked PSN stuff until Sony changed it to release PS5), back in November around 9M (+/- 10% margin error) PSN users played Days Gone, before it was included on PS Plus Collection and PS Plus. These numbers include multiple users who can plan in the same console, 2nd hand, rented copies, copies from a friend, etc.

So it's fair to think that as of November Days Gone sold at least over 7 Million copies. Jeff said DG sold more than all previous Bend games combined, so wouldn't be too crazy to think Days Gone as of now is over 8M copies sold. 700K copies is more than ok for a port, most Japan Studio games sold less than that in their entire lifetime.

Last edited:
Top Bottom