• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Ross confirms Days Gone 2 was still in development when he left in 2020 (contradicting Jason S)

Kuranghi

Jeff Ross implied with a tweet towards Jason Sherierier that JS was able to speak much more freely than he was about the situation. I was watching the Jaffe stream where he said it, the tweet was after the stream.

See, I don’t think this means the article is perfect. Jeff is being polite first of all, but also, he doesn’t want to question the credibility of Jason. Jeff could mean “I’m sure that Jason is being honest in reporting everything that his sources told him”, but that doesn’t mean his sources are correct in what they said. I mean, Jeff literally contradicted several things during the stream.

I’m sure Jeff wants to be extremely careful to be neutral (with the Sony NDA) and not confirm nor deny anything that might get him in trouble, so he’s not going to directly go against Jason.

Would this guy not be aware of what was being worked on at the studio even after leaving? Don’t people know these things after they leave jobs?

ManaByte

Gold Member
I thought you wanted Schreier to get wrecked?

Funny that you're siding with him now when the actual interview has some contradictory information.
No I just trust the guy himself more than a Twitter console warrior.

GHG

Schreier is making money with stories and books. Ross not. So i would say there is no reason for Ross to lie.

Ross is also under NDA.

If there is any chance DG2 is in development and he comes out and confirms it instead of Sony doing so in accordance with a timeline that suits them then they will come down on him like a ton of bricks.

So based on the information we have, there's a chance Days Gone 2 might happen but it's currently unlikely (or might be really far off).

No I just trust the guy himself more than a Twitter console warrior.

Fair enough, however the information in the tweet in the OP is also correct since that's what was said in the interview.

Last edited:

NahaNago

This is just a tricky situation . One worked at the company so you would think he would be under some NDA and he probably also doesn't want to burn any bridges and the other is a journalist who is trying to expose as much of a situation but also probably talks to folks disgruntled with Sony.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
i dont know who to believe anymore. he tells jason that he can be honest in ways he cant be, but then refutes what jason said about other things like Sony bend being a support studio. that they were happy to help out with tlou2 and only did it because people wanted to help because they were in pre-production at the time.

like wtf is going on.

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford

GHG

that they were happy to help out with tlou2 and only did it because people wanted to help because they were in pre-production at the time.

This is a common thing that happens in development studios across all industries (this isn't a thing exclusive to gaming). If there's a project that requires more resources or help then people from other partner studios with suitable knowledge will get pulled across to help. That doesn't mean the whole studio is then a support studio, it just means the people who are being underutilised are given something to do until they are required again for the studio they are primarily contracted to.

That's the primary way knowledge is shared across studios bi-directionally in a way that benefits everyone. It happened with Death Stranding and Guerrilla and in the world of Xbox for example it happens with Playground Games and Turn 10 for the Forza games. This also happens in large publishers like EA as well.

So the reality is that it depends on the perspective of the person he interviewed. If he interviewed some entitled little shit who expected to only work on the biggest and best things for Sony Bend and is too dense to realise the temporary support work they might be doing for naughty dog is the only thing keeping them in a job at that moment in time, then yeh... I guess there's the potential to create the headlines he did.

bitbydeath

i dont know who to believe anymore. he tells jason that he can be honest in ways he cant be, but then refutes what jason said about other things like Sony bend being a support studio. that they were happy to help out with tlou2 and only did it because people wanted to help because they were in pre-production at the time.

like wtf is going on.

🤷‍♂️ I guess we’ll find out eventually.

Last edited:

GHG

🤷‍♂️ I guess we’ll find out eventually.

Animated GIF

Alright

Banned
See, I don’t think this means the article is perfect. Jeff is being polite first of all, but also, he doesn’t want to question the credibility of Jason. Jeff could mean “I’m sure that Jason is being honest in reporting everything that his sources told him”, but that doesn’t mean his sources are correct in what they said. I mean, Jeff literally contradicted several things during the stream.

I’m sure Jeff wants to be extremely careful to be neutral (with the Sony NDA) and not confirm nor deny anything that might get him in trouble, so he’s not going to directly go against Jason

nailed it

I’m sure Jeff wants to be extremely careful to be neutral (with the Sony NDA) and not confirm nor deny anything that might get him in trouble, so he’s not going to directly go against Jason.

True but not everything would be under NDA like his work experience and his personal feelings about the company. I'm pretty sure he would love to talk more about the games that they were working on but the NDA prevents him from doing that. However the NDA wouldn't force him to say only positive things when he left the company. He could certainly say he disliked the working conditions if it really bothered him that much.

like wtf is going on.

Jason knows more about Sony than even Jim Ryan. Jeff Ross is a naive liar!!

MrSec84

Jeff is outright refuting Jason's statements, Jason is only passing on information, from a source that isn't even willing to reveal who they are, Jason's source could be anyone that is much lower down in the ranks at Bend or somewhere else at PlayStation, that person couldn't possibly know as much as Jeff Ross, considering Jeff was Co-Director on developing Days Gone not just as a game, but as a Franchise.

Jeff is being diplomatic towards Jason because Jason can be honest about what Jason's source said, but that doesn't make Jason's source honest.
Jason thinks he's vetted his source enough, but Jeff would supersede whoever that person is.

Anything could have happened after Jeff left Sony Bend, but since Jason's source is from 2019 and Jeff's comments are about what was happening more recently Jeff is to be more believed IMO.
Days Gone sold well, Sony are still putting focus on the franchise by continuing to support and put further development effort into a PS5 patch and a PC Port of the first game, it seems Sony doesn't want people to forget about the game, which makes it more likely that Bend are still working on the franchise.

It doesn't seem like Jason Schreier's comments are accurate and that calls into question everything in his recent article.
Jeff could say nothing, he has no reason to be nice towards Sony if he was treated poorly, he could certainly ignore the need to refute Jason's sources, but he is refuting what's been said.

Renozokii

Jeff pretty much said his hands are tied unlike Jason, so he (Jeff) couldn't really say the real thing.

Don't worry though, PC players will make Day Gone a success for Sony to greenlight a Day Gone 2.
At the same time though NDAs and/or future employers aren’t stupid. Not saying something due to it falling under the NDA but then tweeting something that people are interpreting as basically “lol jk” isn’t exactly some 200 iq workaround a binding legal document. And I doubt future employers would watch the interview but not know about the tweet.

Last edited:

Reindeer

If Jason was lying then the guy would have mentioned or alluded to that, but instead he praised Jason and said he doesn't have similar liberty to speak openly. I think I'm mostly going with Jason on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

bitbydeath

If Jason was lying then the guy would have mentioned or alluded to that, but instead he praised Jason and said he doesn't have similar liberty to speak openly. I think I'm mostly going with Jason on this one.
Jason doesn’t have to be lying, rather his source could be incorrect or disgruntled.

MrSec84

The point is that Jason doesn't have to lie, he believes his source enough, the source could believe that Days Gone 2 got cancelled, but that person may not have a clue what happened to the game, they just got second hand info or where removed from working on the game because their version sucked in Sony's eyes.
That source gave information for 2019, Jeff talks about Days Gone 2 still being in development when he left in 2020, so maybe the game went back into the incubation phase and logically it's going to take more time, so perhaps Jeff along with John because they wouldn't be needed for a while.

Jeff seems pretty happy with his time at the Studio, I don't think John Garvin has badmouthed Sony about leaving either, seems pretty happy from what I've read, unless I missed any comments John Garvin has given anywhere.
Jeff really didn't need to say anything, but he's refuted Jason's Source's statements, outright, being the game's Director he would know more.

Reindeer

The point is that Jason doesn't have to lie, he believes his source enough, the source could believe that Days Gone 2 got cancelled, but that person may not have a clue what happened to the game, they just got second hand info or where removed from working on the game because their version sucked in Sony's eyes.
That source gave information for 2019, Jeff talks about Days Gone 2 still being in development when he left in 2020, so maybe the game went back into the incubation phase and logically it's going to take more time, so perhaps Jeff along with John because they wouldn't be needed for a while.

Jeff seems pretty happy with his time at the Studio, I don't think John Garvin has badmouthed Sony about leaving either, seems pretty happy from what I've read, unless I missed any comments John Garvin has given anywhere.
Jeff really didn't need to say anything, but he's refuted Jason's Source's statements, outright, being the game's Director he would know more.
I don't think heads of studio leaving means things are going well. In time we'll find out whether Days Gone exists and who was right.

MrSec84

Jason doesn’t have to be lying, rather his source could be incorrect or disgruntled.
Exactly, Jason's source could be far away on the other side of the office or in another part of the building, thinking he's heard the game got cancelled, Jeff meanwhile is sitting there chatting with a bunch of higher ups and John Garvin about the initial pitch not being great and needing more work.

Bend's general teams could be separated, this person sees the new IP get greenlit or whatever and knows nothing about Days Gone 2 because they don't work on the project.
That "source" is clueless about Days Gone 2, Jeff knows more up until when he left in 2020, Jeff could still be consulted on the game, along with John away from the studio, maybe Days Gone 2 went back into the incubation phase and Jeff/John were fine with different leadership taking the game in a different direction.

Jeff seems more genuine too me, he's certainly a person that would be in a position to know more than whoever this "Source" is.

Top Bottom