• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Ross confirms Days Gone 2 was still in development when he left in 2020 (contradicting Jason S)

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
i dont know who to believe anymore. he tells jason that he can be honest in ways he cant be, but then refutes what jason said about other things like Sony bend being a support studio. that they were happy to help out with tlou2 and only did it because people wanted to help because they were in pre-production at the time.

like wtf is going on.

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford
Not being a dick (actually I am) but the guy is kinda a bitch. We need more outspoken people who will tell the truth and not dance around questions and post vague strange follow ups to a journalist story that DIRECTLY CONTRADICT everything he just said in a podcast. It’s cowardly and he’s not even protecting himself by being silent. He’s just infuriating everyone with his contradictions.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Exactly, Jason's source could be far away on the other side of the office or in another part of the building, thinking he's heard the game got cancelled, Jeff meanwhile is sitting there chatting with a bunch of higher ups and John Garvin about the initial pitch not being great and needing more work.

Bend's general teams could be separated, this person sees the new IP get greenlit or whatever and knows nothing about Days Gone 2 because they don't work on the project.
That "source" is clueless about Days Gone 2, Jeff knows more up until when he left in 2020, Jeff could still be consulted on the game, along with John away from the studio, maybe Days Gone 2 went back into the incubation phase and Jeff/John were fine with different leadership taking the game in a different direction.

Jeff seems more genuine too me, he's certainly a person that would be in a position to know more than whoever this "Source" is.
Totally.

Nobody knows who he interviewed or how many. IMO, it seems like his dirt digging doesn't ever come from lots of people or from higher ups. It's like he gets hold of the typical office guy which probably knows nothing except what he works on.

This is what I posted earlier tonight which goes with your point about unreliable info.

Last edited:

MrSec84

I don't think heads of studio leaving means things are going well. In time we'll find out whether Days Gone exists and who was right.
Amy Hennig left Uncharted 4's development, but the game released and was awesome.
TBH Days Gone 1, while good, wasn't something spectacular, the concept is great, but the execution wasn't what it should have been IMO.

If I came up with an idea for a game, but someone else could execute that idea better I think I'd be fine with another creator doing something better with it.
TBH I think Jeff Ross and John Garvin have basically put their egos aside to allow the franchise to become something better.

I personally keep coming back to Jeff being Co-Director and his comments being about more recent events, the other person likely didn't have a clue what was going on and blabbed to a Journalist because they were in a poor mood, which isn't a very reliable thing IMO.

MrSec84

Totally.

Nobody knows who he interviewed or how many. IMO, it seems like his dirt digging doesn't ever come from lots of people or from higher ups. It's like he gets hold of the typical office guy which probably knows nothing except what he works on.

This is what I posted earlier tonight which goes with your point about unreliable info.

I'll check out what you wrote, Jason's basically using Chinese Whispers to get attention IMO.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not being a dick (actually I am) but the guy is kinda a bitch. We need more outspoken people who will tell the truth and not dance around questions and post vague strange follow ups to a journalist story that DIRECTLY CONTRADICT everything he just said in a podcast. It’s cowardly and he’s not even protecting himself by being silent. He’s just infuriating everyone with his contradictions.
he's under an NDA so his hands are tied. Jaffe at one point straight up asked him if Days Gone 2 was in production and he goes my NDA wont allow me to confirm or deny.

i think this kind of secrecy in the games industry hurts them more than it helps them. they have kept tlou remake secret for some reason, and it being leaked is now resulting in IGN literally running videos saying we dont need it. i highly doubt the reaction wouldve been that negative if sony had announced it themselves. they probably kept it for their big e3 conference and now its blown up in their face.

xiskza

Jason could be saying the truth, but the way he phrased it and the context he gave the interview made it seem like something else.

His post on REEEEE that the Naughty Dog North was actually just a joke thrown around by some members, isn't actually mentioned in the article. He made it seem like they were ready to absorb Bend

Last edited:

Reindeer

Amy Hennig left Uncharted 4's development, but the game released and was awesome.
TBH Days Gone 1, while good, wasn't something spectacular, the concept is great, but the execution wasn't what it should have been IMO.

If I came up with an idea for a game, but someone else could execute that idea better I think I'd be fine with another creator doing something better with it.
TBH I think Jeff Ross and John Garvin have basically put their egos aside to allow the franchise to become something better.

I personally keep coming back to Jeff being Co-Director and his comments being about more recent events, the other person likely didn't have a clue what was going on and blabbed to a Journalist because they were in a poor mood, which isn't a very reliable thing IMO.
Hennig left because of a power struggle and was basically forced out, which is very different to what happened here. The more accurate comparison would be Henning leaving after finishing the first Uncharted. Maybe even second Uncharted since the first one was nowhere near a financial success that Days Gone was. Also it's not like they left Bend to join another big project or anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

odhiex

Haaah.. he didn't say it is cancelled...so
Animated GIF

Hehe. Honestly, if there is no Days Gone 2 I won't be upset either. The ending has already implied what will happen. I like it that way.

Bring on Gabe Logan instead..we need him now, in a world where there are no new Metal Gear, no new Splinter Cell games.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
The media have created a narrative where PlayStation is only doing good if it becomes a NPO. Such is the state of games media, who just last year and despite the absolute home run of a year for PlayStation, was all in on the narrative that the brand was anti consumer and Xbox had all the momentum going into next gen. Then reality happened.

The same guys talking shit about no DG2, were talking shit about another white guy in DG1.

Last edited:

MrSec84

Hennig left because of a power struggle and was basically forced out, which is very different to what happened here. The more accurate comparison would be Henning leaving after finishing the first Uncharted.
Your comparison isn't accurate, because it didn't happen, mine works because Amy actually left, while Naughty Dog went on to make a great game in the Uncharted franchise.
Jeff doesn't seem to have left on bad terms, as far as he confirms Days Gone 2 is still in development.

Reindeer

Your comparison isn't accurate, because it didn't happen, mine works because Amy actually left, while Naughty Dog went on to make a great game in the Uncharted franchise.
Jeff doesn't seem to have left on bad terms, as far as he confirms Days Gone 2 is still in development.
Lol, no, your comparison doesn't work. Naughty Dog was never relegated to being a support studio, they were top dogs at Sony. Also Henning left because of politics, which has nothing to do with this case.

Bend was partly support studio that mainly did small projects and got one shot at AAA and then temporarily went back to being support studio after that. You cannot compare Bend to other Sony flagship studios.

Imagine these guys staying at Bend all these years only to leave after their big break with sequel in production... Yeah, that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
he's under an NDA so his hands are tied. Jaffe at one point straight up asked him if Days Gone 2 was in production and he goes my NDA wont allow me to confirm or deny.

i think this kind of secrecy in the games industry hurts them more than it helps them. they have kept tlou remake secret for some reason, and it being leaked is now resulting in IGN literally running videos saying we dont need it. i highly doubt the reaction wouldve been that negative if sony had announced it themselves. they probably kept it for their big e3 conference and now its blown up in their face.

I honestly think with games getting so long to develop, there’s a lot more risk to leaks.

game companies should adopt the movie model where projects are announced immediately if they are a sequel or new IP, even without having a trailer.

it prevents most of the speculation on what’s going on at a studio

And there could easily be a miscommunication

Days Gone 2 may have been minimally worked on as a “pitch” to Sony. This could have been what Jeff meant.

Jason’s source may have only confirmed it never went into full blown development. The two statements are not incompatible. Not sure why Jason had to be a drama queen about being potentially lying. Such a scumbag

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Sony has a chance to reach God of War announcement levels with Days Gone 2 now.
We just need an orchestra.
Yo for real. Could you imagine seeing that Bend Studio logo appear on screen followed by some amazing next-gen showcase trailer. After all these rumors and uncertianty the hype would be immense lol.

That GOW E3 trailer + live orchestra was one of the best cold opens of any E3.

Boy!

Last edited:
I don't think heads of studio leaving means things are going well. In time we'll find out whether Days Gone exists and who was right.

I’m not sure if “not going well” is the right term. In creative development it’s not always easy being told that you can’t work in a sequel to a game you crafted and had so much personally invested into.

this hits the very top of the studio more personally than your typical developers.

turnover is just the nature of the business. Hermen isn’t going to let Bend fall by the wayside

what may be tough in the short term could be great in the long term...just look at Sucker Punch

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Not a fan of Jason's but I do believe that Days Gone 2 is dead and buried. A shitty MC/OC score and bad launch due to technical issues is worth killing it despite it being the 5th or 6th bet PS4 selling exclusive but whatever. Would love to be 100% wrong since Days Gone 2 was my most anticipated PS5 sequel but yeah, I do believe that it's been cancelled.

Varteras

Gold Member
Nah, just have Jimbo introduce the trailer by saying “And here’s something for all those press sneak fucks out there...”
Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF
You would watch so many people who have a murder boner for Jim Ryan suddenly drop to their knees and smile like a doughnut if he did that :messenger_open_mouth:

Stuart360

With Days Gone coming to PC in June, i'd like to think a sequel could still be in developemnt. You would think Sony would pick a different game for their next PC game, if Days Gone was finished as a franchise.

Varteras

Gold Member
So it seems Jason's sources were also incorrect about Bend becoming a support studio for Naughty Dog. According to Jeff that was never going to be the case. That some may have thought that would happen but it was never the plan.

RCU005

I hate Jason Schreier! The guy thinks he is kind of a godly journalism police. The worst part, is that he reports on those bad situation not to help, but to feed his ego. He doesn't give a $hit about the developers doing crunch or in bad working environments. He only cares about being the one reporting it and taking the credit (and his paycheck).

That's Jeff's out for being dishonest himself to keep up the corporate PR image.
Jeff wasn't being dishonest he just couldn't answer a lot of the questions people were asking during the stream that's all, he wasn't making things up he's just under NDA.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Alejandroid?

7pF94de.gif

Jeff didnt say DG2 was in development when he left, did people not watch the interview?
He wasnt willing to confirm or deny its development status, so people being stupid extrapolate what they want from his comments:

• He didnt say it wasnt in development so obviously it was in development.
  • He didnt say it was in development so obviously it wasnt in development.

Whats wrong with you people?

MrSec84

Lol, no, your comparison doesn't work. Naughty Dog was never relegated to being a support studio, they were top dogs at Sony. Also Henning left because of politics, which has nothing to do with this case.

Bend was partly support studio that mainly did small projects and got one shot at AAA and then temporarily went back to being support studio after that. You cannot compare Bend to other Sony flagship studios.

Imagine these guys staying at Bend all these years only to leave after their big break with sequel in production... Yeah, that doesn't make a lot of sense.
Yes my comparison works, Hennig was Directing Uncharted 4, her version got cancelled and taken over by new leadership.
Days Gone 2 was confirmed to still be in development by Jeff Ross, he and John Garvin were Directors and they didn't stay around to continue working on the game.
Bend haven't been relegated to a support studio, they're working on something bigger than Days Gone based on the above information, if Jeff's comments are true then Days Gone 2 is that game, under new leadership or it's a new IP.
Politics effects everything in office culture, I know because I've been a part of that junk and I can only imagine how bad being a creative environment, with different ideas being flung around every day could get.

BTW the ICE team are a part of Naughty Dog and they work on the tools for PlayStation's systems, they help every Studio out within Worldwide Studios.
Bend didn't get only one shot on a AAA project, they used to make a bunch of AAA titles, they had a break for quite a long time, made Days Gone and are now working on something which is bigger than that game, which is very comparable to Naughty Dog's situation, just like many Studios within Sony's family of devs.

The thing is you're assuming Jason's source was bang on, when they could very well not know the real details or more than a narrow vision of what their studio is working on, given Jeff Ross was one of the main Directors on Days Gone 2, based on his own comments this person clearly has no clue what is really going on at Bend.
Another thing to consider is that Jeff Ross and John Garvin could have things going on in their lives that effect their abilities to dedicate themselves to long term work schedules, anything could have happened, they could have pitched Days Gone 2, got it Green-Lit then due to personal reasons they could keep working at the Studio.
If the situation was that their ideas weren't liked by Herman Hulst and other higher ups, but they were really passionate about it maybe it was too painful to keep working at Bend.

Bend have worked hard on new IP ideas many times before Days Gone 1 got green-lit, like their Vita Projects, they've laid themselves out there many times to try and get games off of the ground and if Days Gone 2 wasn't working as is, then another team pitches ideas, which got green-lit that could be difficult for Directors of creative projects to take, but that doesn't mean they would or could get in the way if the other plan being put to work.
In that situation you take a step back, try to fit in lower down or you move on, it seems like Jeff Ross and John Garvin moved on.

Perhaps Jeff and John's situations were more amicable than Amy Hennig's, the comparison fits though, Amy left because she couldn't bring her vision to life, the same sounds true of Jeff Ross and John Garvin's vision for the game coming after Day Gone 1.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I’m sure Jeff wants to be extremely careful to be neutral (with the Sony NDA) and not confirm nor deny anything that might get him in trouble, so he’s not going to directly go against Jason.
And also, there's nothing in it for Jeff Ross to sling dirt in either direction: he doesn't work there anymore, he's got friends who do work there, he doesn't mean to burn any bridges, he's hoping the best for all involved, he's onto other things... he'd like to help the situation if he could, because the whirlwind of a report tends to get some people hurt from the shrapnel, but this industry is so guarded and punishment-minded and the consumer base is so cranky-baby (even though it's largely adults gamers, myself included) that it can do more harm than good to try to help. And, he's already out, so he only knows what he knows. So he's being honest, he's being helpful, but he's not interested in being a firestarter. It's not his news to tell; it's not his battle to fight.

(I'm a believer that these work condition exposes like Schreier writes ultimately are ultimately a necessity and hopefully a benefit, but so many people get hurt from the fallout, and so few can go on record from corporate-lockdown structure - thus leading to reporting that cannot be full in scope - that all this leads to a lot of doubt and reverse-accusation, so these are pyrrhic gains that raise a lot more hard questions while trying to get an answer.)

{EDIT: Kind of funny, I only had a chance to skim the show over the weekend, now I'm listening to it in full and Jaffe literally starts off with, ""Jeff's certainly not a moron... the guy's a working creator, he's not going to burn bridges, and I wouldn't want him to, and he certainly doesn't want to. But at the same time, we both recognize that there's a lot of interest about what's happening in the world of games..."

So, yeah, better said by the man himself.}

: i think this kind of secrecy in the games industry hurts them more than it helps them.

It's the shitty thing about being a fan of this industry and wanting to know more about it, that nobody can ever really get too close anymore because it's so secretive and there's so much money involved that the real stories behind your favorite games (or the games you looked most forward to that never came out) will never be told. It's really hard to get the true story, because it's all kids' stuff and so not enough people think these stories have the cultural cache to be necessary in documenting, but also it's all so lucrative and involved of so many workers inside small, private companies that it's too big-business to let anybody involved speak a word out of turn.

Last edited:
And there could easily be a miscommunication

Days Gone 2 may have been minimally worked on as a “pitch” to Sony. This could have been what Jeff meant.

Jason’s source may have only confirmed it never went into full blown development. The two statements are not incompatible. Not sure why Jason had to be a drama queen about being potentially lying. Such a scumbag
Journalistic integrity, look it up.

sublimit

Banned
So have we come to the point where we deny the info provided by the actual director of said game just because it contradicts the anti-Sony agenda some "insider" has been trying to push for almost a year now?
If that's the case i'm really sad for you.

Chessmate

Banned
It's more than clear Sony Bend is under a lot of pressure and is merely tolerated within the Playstation universe. Their last game has its fans, but wasn't well received among critics.

If Sony didn't greenlight Days Gone 2 or doesn't really want to invest in another IP, we'll know soon enough: Either the studio gets closed or people will leave (which already did happen).

Tweets like "I wish I could speak more freely" should tell you where this goes. Ryan obviously wanted Sony Bend to create an IP that has an impact like Tsushima, Spiderman or Horizon. They didn't succeed. Now they have to face the consequences.

cormack12

Gold Member
So have we come to the point where we deny the info provided by the actual director of said game just because it contradicts the anti-Sony agenda some "insider" has been trying to push for almost a year now?
If that's the case i'm really sad for you.

The back story is part of the DLC

fvMuPQ.jpg

Top Bottom