• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Starfield the most important game in Xbox's history since the original Halo?

Is it a 100 percent Bethesda game or ms has its own share in development?
If the game ends up good MS will say it’s because of their great management skills.

If it ends up bad, MS will say that Bethesda had the power to decide everything by theirselves and MS didn’t interfere in anything they did.

The well known hands off Redfall approach.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Lol. This is what I’m talking about. I’m not being that critical at all. It looks fantastic and I’m super hyped to play it. It’ll likely be in my top 5 this year if it hits as hard as the direct made it appear.

My posts in the other thread were discussing the reasoning behind the lack of a 60 fps mode.

But some seem to think that if it’s not the GOAT and better than anything that’s ever come out or set to come out with the deepest gameplay systems ever devised that I’m being highly critical? No, maybe certain people are just way overhyping this game. It’s Fallout with a space twist and massively improved visuals for what Bethesda is usually known for - and that’s fantastic of course, but there are so many amazing titles releasing this year that are just as easily worthy of similar praise.

If you’re a hyper fan of Bethesda games and this really is your personal GOAT, then great. I just thinks it’s another great game for what’s shaping up to be a truly amazing year in gaming.
No offense, I don’t know you, but you really do come off as quite grumpy and hard to please whenever there is excitement. You’ve been grumpy in Zelda TOTK threads as well.

If the reason is that you simply want other games to be praised then why not do that instead? Maybe there are others that feel the same way and then you could kick off a whole group of people talking and being excited about the same game and soon more people will notice the game too.

rofif rofif said something very wise in a thread about framerates recently that stayed in my thoughts.
I am happy if you are happy. That's all that matters!
As long as you are not going and ruining someone elses fun
We could all use this advice I think. It’s a discussion board and all that but let people be excited, it’s okay, don’t have to try downplaying everything that don’t excite ourselves to the same level.

No offense, I don’t know you, but you really do come off as quite grumpy and hard to please whenever there is excitement. You’ve been grumpy in Zelda TOTK threads as well.

If the reason is that you simply want other games to be praised then why not do that instead? Maybe there are others that feel the same way and then you could kick off a whole group of people talking and being excited about the same game and soon more people will notice the game too.

I enjoyed ToTK immensely. It’s not my ideal style of Zelda but it’s not a deal breaker. But some hyper fans also had a ridiculous amount of hyperbole and act like it doesn’t have any flaws and that it somehow towers over games with more traditional designs. I’m sorry but it simply doesn’t, and that’s not taking away any of it’s achievements by saying it.

I am fine with games being praised, but not at the expense of throwing shade at everything else to make your title of choice seem so much more superior to any other title on the market.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Bethesda RPGs always leaned to Xbox (and PS3 ports were kinda broken), so I guess little will change around the market. Especially with juggernauts like Spider-man 2 and FFXVI on a rival platform releasing in the same year.

That being said, Bethesda RPGs are usually PC-centric and over-reliant on modding community, so console releases for them are usually supplementary and on a grand scale it will hardly move a needle for Xbox specifically. Just like Baldur’s Gate 3, despite being a cult hit for PC, changes little for Sony, really.

But Starfield will sell well and propel Xbox to the first place in hardware in September, no doubts about that. Though Halo basically shaped Xbox into a legit platform, Starfield is nowhere near this magnitude.

Fredrik

But some hyper fans also had a ridiculous amount of hyperbole and act like it doesn’t have any flaws and that it somehow towers over games with more traditional designs.
So?
I still think Super Metroid is the best game ever made and I say that a lot. And I think Elden Ring is #2. TOTK #3.
How is that a problem?

Do you tell people who think pizza is the best food ever that they’re wrong too and then you try downplaying the cheese etc?
What about when people have favorite music? Movies? Books?
It’s all subjective opinions. All of it.

I am fine with games being praised, but not at the expense of throwing shade at everything else to make your title of choice seem so much more superior to any other title on the market.
I’m pretty sure you’re doing the same thing when talking about games you love. And that’s okay, it’s opinions, it’s okay to have them, just try to focus more on positivity than negativity and I think the talks will become more fun.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure you’re doing the same thing when talking about games you love. And that’s okay, it’s opinions, it’s okay to have them.

There’s games I love obviously but I don’t really think other high quality games are rendered to trash or vastly inferior in every aspect as a result. That’s pretty binary, hyperbolic thinking. I simply appreciate games and what they are setting out to do, with pros and cons, as an individual title. I even find the concept of GOTY a bit silly, and I’m sure if you have to pick you can select one, but Zelda being a great game doesn’t mean you somehow can’t play or appreciate anything else after playing it.

But to get this back to your point - how am I grumpy just because I expected better dungeons from Zelda or think that Starfield isn’t any more complex or deep than most open world titles across all metrics? It’s just being realistic and recognizing shortcomings despite loving what those games do have to offer.

Fredrik

But to get this back to your point - how am I grumpy just because I expected better dungeons from Zelda or think that Starfield isn’t any more complex or deep than most open world titles across all metrics? It’s just being realistic and recognizing shortcomings despite loving what those games do have to offer.
Well that’s what it looks like when you keep going on downplaying and kinda try correcting people on the stuff they’re excited about.

It’s cool that you’re still loving what they’re bringing to the table, now that you’ve been complaining for awhile you could try show your excitement instead. Time to wash off that grumpiness! 😉👍

For me it’s by far my most anticipated upcoming release, even going years into the future. I don’t think it’ll peak at launch, that’s just the beginning, I think the real cool stuff will come through mods.
Got the Starfield controller a couple days ago. Looks and feels so good. And I’m just kinda waiting for the game to release now while playing TOTK. Will likely preorder to get it 5 days earlier. Assumed launch jank and all, can’t wait! 👌

Halo is Xbox's magnum opus, their bread and butter. It's the franchise Xbox originally started off with and one of, if not the platform's marquee franchise and title. If anything, Starfield is more important to Bethesda's mass appeal and return to form than Xbox's. Will it move units? Certainly! But will it be Xbox's magnum opus like Halo? Not necessarily (although it's more of a yes & no sort of response). Starfield is shaping up to be a great game by the looks of things, but as a new IP, it's a wait and see to be honest. I am keeping an on it, but I'm not going to be preordering. I'll wait and see what the reception at launch is like. If it's great, I'll buy it outright. If it's not. I'll wait for mods and a sale before picking it up. Halo was a once in a lifetime thing, that people discovered more about and fell in love with, with time. Starfield has the potential for something like that, but I'm not sure it'll spark a massive interest in Xbox like Halo did.

Well that’s what it looks like when you keep going on downplaying and kinda try correcting people on the stuff they’re excited about.

It’s cool that you’re still loving what they’re bringing to the table, now that you’ve been complaining for awhile you could try show your excitement instead. Time to wash off that grumpiness! 😉👍

For me it’s by far my most anticipated upcoming release, even going years into the future. I don’t think it’ll peak at launch, that’s just the beginning, I think the real cool stuff will come through mods.
Got the Starfield controller a couple days ago. Looks and feels so good. And I’m just kinda waiting for the game to release now while playing TOTK. Will likely preorder to get it 5 days earlier. Assumed launch jank and all, can’t wait! 👌
It's just an opinion my dude. It's not really that deep, relax😉

MagnesD3

No Starfiled is doing nothing new that I've seen, Halo changed the game. As Phil said himself there is no world where Starfiled is an 11/10.

MagnesD3

So?
I still think Super Metroid is the best game ever made and I say that a lot. And I think Elden Ring is #2. TOTK #3.
How is that a problem?

Do you tell people who think pizza is the best food ever that they’re wrong too and then you try downplaying the cheese etc?
What about when people have favorite music? Movies? Books?
It’s all subjective opinions. All of it.

I’m pretty sure you’re doing the same thing when talking about games you love. And that’s okay, it’s opinions, it’s okay to have them, just try to focus more on positivity than negativity and I think the talks will become more fun.
Video game design isn't subjective, music isn't, writing isnt either, there are objectively good ways to do these things, now preference is subjective but things that are mechanical following logical systems are not, sometimes categorical splits are required to make these comparisons and arguments for why something is better or not given the context but objectivity can be involved.
Now getting closer to objective understanding requires analysis, comparisons, arguments and knowledge but we can strive for it.

Last edited:

Pelta88

I think there is a lot of hype behind it but that hype doesn't appear to be universal. Mainly coming from certain segments of the XBOX community.

Beyond that, I don't think Starfield will even propel XBOX to lead NPD for its month of release. Some will disagree but I think a month-long AVI bet will really separate the hype from the reality. The metrics we all use to gauge interest simply don't show momentum or mindshare moving in XBOX favour because of this ip.

I mean, Phil did say that Starfield could be an 11/10 and it wouldn't move the needle. Perhaps he's right?

No.
Starfield was suppose to be just one of the many tentpole games Microsoft was suppose to launch on the Xbox Series.

However, after everything else failing, Starfield became Xbox's last hope. Starfield was never meant to be the one great game Xbox was looking for; it is just the only game left that hadn't revealed its hand.

Starfield is just the last one. It has nothing to do with whether it was important.

Fredrik

Video game design isn't subjective, music isn't, writing isnt either, there are objectively good ways to do these things, now preference is subjective but things that are mechanical following logical systems are not, sometimes categorical splits are required to make these comparisons and arguments for why something is better or not given the context but objectivity can be involved.
Now getting closer to objective understanding requires analysis, comparisons, arguments and knowledge but we can strive for it.
Well good luck show me that objectivity equation then.

I’ve been gaming for over 40 years and I still wouldn’t be able to pinpoint a way to rate games without subjectivity. Been playing and making music for at least 30 years, same thing there. A couple hundred movies on a shelf, no idea there either. Books, a few meter long bookshelf. Not a clue how to rank any of that without subjectivity.

In games you could possibly measure control methods and latency. But add a game like RDR2 or FF7, games I personally love, and it would show how bad such a method is.

It would be impossible to compare the visuals in games like Hi-Fi Rush, Elden Ring, Cyberpunk 2077, Street Fighter 6, TLOUP2, RC Rift Apart objectivity because of the different art directions.

And would you compare genres? Is SF6 better than Diablo 4? Is Halo Infinite better than The Ascent? Can you say that Forza Horizon 5 is better than Gran Turismo 7? Metacritic say it is but that’s really just adding up around 100 subjective opinion on each game in wildly different genres.

What would be the objectively best game of all time?
I just know that mine is Super Metroid but I couldn’t say that someone was objectively wrong if they say Minecraft or Counter Strike or Tetris or whatever. What would I base that on objectively?
🤔

MagnesD3

Well good luck show me that objectivity equation then.

I’ve been gaming for over 40 years and I still wouldn’t be able to pinpoint a way to rate games without subjectivity. Been playing and making music for at least 30 years, same thing there. A couple hundred movies on a shelf, no idea there either. Books, a few meter long bookshelf. Not a clue how to rank any of that without subjectivity.

In games you could possibly measure control methods and latency. But add a game like RDR2 or FF7, games I personally love, and it would show how bad such a method is.

It would be impossible to compare the visuals in games like Hi-Fi Rush, Elden Ring, Cyberpunk 2077, Street Fighter 6, TLOUP2, RC Rift Apart objectivity because of the different art directions.

And would you compare genres? Is SF6 better than Diablo 4? Is Halo Infinite better than The Ascent? Can you say that Forza Horizon 5 is better than Gran Turismo 7? Metacritic say it is but that’s really just adding up around 100 subjective opinion on each game in wildly different genres.

What would be the objectively best game of all time?
I just know that mine is Super Metroid but I couldn’t say that someone was objectively wrong if they say Minecraft or Counter Strike or Tetris or whatever. What would I base that on objectively?
🤔
I did say in my post categorization within context is required for proper analysis, you have to break it down on the logical level to get anywhere if that is not your strong suit or desire to find then your not gonna see it (which based on how you think about these mediums as subjective in nature I would say it isnt which is perfectly fine most people would rather not do this), it would require alot of explaining and work essentially which tends to only come out in my case if I feel passionate towards something wanting to put that work in to dig out just why certain pieces are such brilliant examples of game design.

The line of thought that everything is subjective is typically very lazy, yes perfect objectively is truly unobtainable since our reality that we perceive could be a lie but similarly to how science works its within reason, context, logical structure and new understanding we can get close or at least closer to objectivity.

Last edited:

Bungie

And they are all procedurally generated.
Bethesda has been using the "procedurally generation" tech long before most & won game of the year 4 times using it. Even with generated worlds, they said this game has the most handcrafted content to date.

MagnesD3

Bethesda has been using the "procedurally generation" tech long before most & won game of the year 4 times using it. Even with generated worlds, they said this game has the most handcrafted content to date.
Oh I know they have it shows in thier games quality. Higher expected standards towards thier games have risen though and thus time they have a boatload of procedurally generated content coming. Bigger isn't better. Also just because something wins GOTY doesn't mean it would have as big of an impact on the industry as something like Halo.

No, this game was

401666-lost-odyssey-xbox-360-manual.jpg
Not wrong. I'm now experiencing phantom feels over remembering some of those 1000 years of memories short stories.

Bungie

Oh I know they have it shows in thier games quality. Higher expected standards towards thier games have risen though and thus time they have a boatload of procedurally generated content coming. Bigger isn't better. Also just because something wins GOTY doesn't mean it would have as big of an impact on the industry as something like Halo.
I think it's easy to say the positive effect Halo had for FPSs on console, Bethesda has equally had for RPGs on console. Morrowind was also on the OG Xbox & was a huge success for the console RPG space. The role-play, simulation & sandbox of most Beth games is insanely impressive. I'm a big fan of Halo too hence my username.

Dutchy

Halo changed the FPS landscape. Even Halo 2 and 3 did a wonderful job pushing those boundaries even further.

Starfield, no matter how good, will just be another Bethesda title, but in space. But seeing how Xbox has literally nothing else of global critical acclaim as of now, I guess it is?

Fredrik

I did say in my post categorization within context is required for proper analysis, you have to break it down on the logical level to get anywhere if that is not your strong suit or desire to find then your not gonna see it (which based on how you think about these mediums as subjective in nature I would say it isnt which is perfectly fine most people would rather not do this), it would require alot of explaining and work essentially which tends to only come out in my case if I feel passionate towards something wanting to put that work in to dig out just why certain pieces are such brilliant examples of game design.

The line of thought that everything is subjective is typically very lazy, yes perfect objectively is truly unobtainable since our reality that we perceive could be a lie but similarly to how science works its within reason, context, logical structure and new understanding we can get close or at least closer to objectivity.
Well if you’re not doing it then my subjective opinion is still that there is no objectively best game or even unranked top 10.
For me it’s simple, it’s extremely rare to even see two people list the exact games. Everyone list different games. Are we all wrong? Or is there one objectively correct list among the hundreds of different lists people post here or on gaming websites? Then I’d say it’s mine! 😋

Last edited:
I can't say too much since I don't game on Xbox but it does seem like a significant game for the brand and Microsoft as a whole, it's their first major triple A title in years and the hype and aura building up to it is something they haven't experienced in years.

i'm looking to build my first PC rig towards the end of the year, and Starfield will likely be one of the first games I purchase. It looks incredible.

MagnesD3

I think it's easy to say the positive effect Halo had for FPSs on console, Bethesda has equally had for RPGs on console. Morrowind was also on the OG Xbox & was a huge success for the console RPG space. The role-play, simulation & sandbox of most Beth games is insanely impressive. I'm a big fan of Halo too hence my username.
Idk man I can't really think if alot of games that have incorporated how they like to do things, maybe crafting junk? Being a more loot heavy game? Bioware had more influence on things in video games than Bethesda did imo with its Morality system and dialogue trees or Blizzard with Diablos loot. Neither imo compare to halo (except maybe Diablo with loot, that's everywhere...).

MagnesD3

Well if you’re not doing it then my subjective opinion is still that there is no objectively best game or even unranked top 10.
For me it’s simple, it’s extremely rare to even see two people list the exact games. Everyone list different games. Are we all wrong? Or is there one objectively correct list among the hundreds of different lists people post here or on gaming websites? Then I’d say it’s mine! 😋
I can tell you the best game I've probably ever played is Elden Ring, it isn't the most well rounded but it's close, it's just things that are good game design in video games it does incredibly well, it's pretty crazy. But no I don't feel like going in depth, I'm at work and I don't care enough to work that hard, especially when you don't accept objectivity to begin with meaning you most likely wouldn't properly try to separate bias from your analysis or break it down in a logical argument fashion or be willing to accept that you could be wrong in the argument if presented proper evidence or at the very least be more open about the possibility.

Last edited:

Bungie

Idk man I can't really think if alot of games that have incorporated how they like to do things, maybe crafting junk? Being a more loot heavy game? Bioware had more influence on things in video games than Bethesda did imo with its Morality system and dialogue trees or Blizzard with Diablos loot. Neither imo compare to halo (except maybe Diablo with loot, that's everywhere...).
It's not easy to pull off a Bethesda game world or mechanics, that's why you don't see it incorporated. Not seeing it copied is a compliment to the work, it's extremely difficult to develop a living breathing world that goes on even when you aren't in the area. There's just no RPG on the level of how you interact with the world like a Bethesda game. Bioware & Diablo are static scripted worlds. They don't simulate anything hardly.

MagnesD3

It's not easy to pull off a Bethesda game world or mechanics, that's why you don't see it incorporated. Not seeing it copied is a compliment to the work, it's extremely difficult to develop a living breathing world that goes on even when you aren't in the area. There's just no RPG on the level of how you interact with the world like a Bethesda game. Bioware & Diablo are static scripted worlds. They don't simulate anything hardly.
I wouldn't call a bethesda game a living world since most of it is pretty bland but I guess the towns have alot of people to talk to that walk around. A great story or characters and incredible gameplay are what's needed to get me to think an rpg game is great, bethesda just has too much bloat.

killatopak

No.

Halo is akin to Mario or BotW.

Starfield is like FF7 Remake. It’s a huge reason to buy into their ecosystem but not THE reason.

Halo is Xbox's magnum opus, their bread and butter. It's the franchise Xbox originally started off with and one of, if not the platform's marquee franchise and title. If anything, Starfield is more important to Bethesda's mass appeal and return to form than Xbox's. Will it move units? Certainly! But will it be Xbox's magnum opus like Halo? Not necessarily (although it's more of a yes & no sort of response). Starfield is shaping up to be a great game by the looks of things, but as a new IP, it's a wait and see to be honest. I am keeping an on it, but I'm not going to be preordering. I'll wait and see what the reception at launch is like. If it's great, I'll buy it outright. If it's not. I'll wait for mods and a sale before picking it up. Halo was a once in a lifetime thing, that people discovered more about and fell in love with, with time. Starfield has the potential for something like that, but I'm not sure it'll spark a massive interest in Xbox like Halo did.
Why even considering buying it if you can play it much cheaper on gamepass? Just take gamepass for a month, play the game, cancel sub, save 50 dollars or something like that

Fredrik

I can tell you the best game I've probably ever played is Elden Ring, it isn't the most well rounded but it's close, it's just things that are good game design in video games it does incredibly well, it's pretty crazy. But no I don't feel like going in depth, I'm at work and I don't care enough to work that hard, especially when you don't accept objectivity to begin with meaning you most likely wouldn't properly try to separate bias from your analysis or break it down in a logical argument fashion or be willing to accept that you could be wrong in the argument if presented proper evidence or at the very least be more open about the possibility.
I currently have Elden Ring as my #2 so if you have the time, try doing an objective list, would be interesting. Who knows maybe we’re close in gaming taste 👍🙂

MagnesD3

I currently have Elden Ring as my #2 so if you have the time, try doing an objective list, would be interesting. Who knows maybe we’re close in gaming taste 👍🙂
Maybe I'm pretty lazy, lol.
Here's my personal top 10 favorite games tho (order here somewhat right, id love to do a poll for myself via a roundrobin tournament). No repeat franchises.

1. Banjo Kazooie
2. Super Mario 64
3. Starfox 64
4. Paper Mario
5. Halo: Combat Evolved
6. Elden Ring
7. Mass Effect
8. Zelda Twilight Princess
9. Bioshock
10. Metal Gear Solid 3

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
No.

Halo is akin to Mario or BotW.

Starfield is like FF7 Remake. It’s a huge reason to buy into their ecosystem but not THE reason.
.... but that can change???
The main reason you'd have bought a Playstation from 2009-2013 was because of Uncharted and The Last of Us. Fast Forward a decade later, the main reason you buy a Playstation is because of God of War and Spiderman. Reasons to buy into an ecosystem can change that fast.

Playstation didn't even have a definitive first party IP for the PS1 and PS2 so it's safe to say you don't even need a marquee mascot big franchise to rope people in.... you just need good games

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Not really replying regarding any particular posters or trends on this specific site or topic, but this is really the healthiest approach to life IMO. Not to say that people shouldn't have rational criticisms about things, but put your energy into the things you like. If you are passionate about your hobby or special interests, feel free to evangelize it. Like you said that might actually have positive outcomes for you and maybe even the topic of the discussion in a really limited scope.

Putting a lot of negative energy into trying to diminish everything else in an attempt to raise something else above probably provides no results and is just personally draining. Plus the world is filled with enough of that energy from the political ads.

Fredrik

Not really replying regarding any particular posters or trends on this specific site or topic, but this is really the healthiest approach to life IMO. Not to say that people shouldn't have rational criticisms about things, but put your energy into the things you like. If you are passionate about your hobby or special interests, feel free to evangelize it. Like you said that might actually have positive outcomes for you and maybe even the topic of the discussion in a really limited scope.

Putting a lot of negative energy into trying to diminish everything else in an attempt to raise something else above probably provides no results and is just personally draining. Plus the world is filled with enough of that energy from the political ads.
Glad you got the meaning of it all! It was really rofif rofif that got me thinking with that comment about not ruining the fun other people, plus a deeply personal TLOUP2 thread by Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 . Left me thinking. We could all work on trying to bring more positivity into the discussions. And it’s gooood to be excited! Embrace it! 🤗

ps. sorry if this seems like some kumbaya hallelujah moment, just ate some grilled pork and sun is shining and I’m just in a really good mood 😋

SHA

If the game ends up good MS will say it’s because of their great management skills.

If it ends up bad, MS will say that Bethesda had the power to decide everything by theirselves and MS didn’t interfere in anything they did.

I think Phil will earn merit if he humbly says otherwise.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'd happily bet that people are playing this game for over ten years. And a I mean millions will play it for years. This is gonna be a big deal. Not some short term hyped titles that everyone moves on from.

Varteras

Gold Member
Starfield needs to be the beginning of a series of consistent banger releases for Xbox. It won't mean anything, ultimately, if it releases and we go another two years of little to nothing impactful.

ReBurn

Gold Member

Well everyone dunks on his poor management skills when games go bad. So if Starfield turns out good the people who dunked on him over Redfall should praise him for Starfield, right? Who should get the credit if it's amazing?

Top Bottom