• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Starfield the most important game in Xbox's history since the original Halo?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
While the Series X has been doing well, there is still an outcry for AAA exclusives. After two years of meager offerings for a lack of a better word, Starfield is poised to deliver. I can't think of a more important game in the history of the Xbox brand besides the original Halo that supposedly saved the console.

If Starfield succeeds, this could be enough to rekindle people's trust in the brand and make them patient enough to wait until Senua's Saga that presumably will launch next year. Following this, we're expecting Avowed, and Perfect Dark later on. Starfield is the kickoff. On the other hand, if it fails, it would be absolutely disastrous. Microsoft is putting a lot of faith in that game and so are gamers. Described as Skyrim in space by some, it's expected to be the biggest release of Xbox in years.

In your opinion, how critical is the success of Starfield to Xbox? Or am I out of touch and it's just another game?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Lol, no.

Halo firmly cemented FPS in consoles. It was a cultural landmark. Starfield isn't bringing anything new to the table, it's just another Bethesda game, this time in space. It has none of the history of TES or Fallout with it either, they have absolutely nothing to borrow from, so it's all up to them.

Don't get me wrong, could be awesome, looking forward to playing it, but it's not going to have anywhere near the impact that goddamn Halo did, and I didn't even really like Halo at the time.

One more thing. Allow me to remind you that Bethesda's previous big titles - VR and mobile games aside - were fucking Fallout 4 and Fallout 76. Skyrim was 12 years ago. They're not exactly on a roll. Let's hope Starfield is anywhere better than either.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Lol, no.

Halo firmly cemented FPS in consoles. It was a cultural landmark. Starfield isn't bringing anything new to the table, it's just another Bethesda game, this time in space. It has none of the history of TES or Fallout with it either, they have absolutely nothing to borrow from, so it's all up to them.

Don't get me wrong, could be awesome, looking forward to playing it, but it's not going to have anywhere near the impact that goddamn Halo did, and I didn't even really like Halo at the time.
That's why I said "since" Halo. It certainly isn't as important as Halo but does it have an argument for second place? I can't think of a game behind as much hype and releasing at such a key moment in the life of an Xbox console.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Halo legitimized Microsoft as a console maker. It only had to happen once. Starfield is really important like all big exclusives are important. Like if GOW Ragnarok sucked, it would be a bad look for Sony. It’s more important for MS because Infinite sucked and they haven’t really put out much that is super compelling this entire generation (ok, accounting for taste). It’s more like Halo 3 on Xbox 360.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
That's why I said "since" Halo. It certainly isn't as important as Halo but does it have an argument for second place? I can't think of a game behind as much hype and releasing at such a key moment in the life of an Xbox console.

No, because you've not even factored in the Halo sequels that improved on the formula and sold even better.

Starfield sales are going to be an absolute mess because of Game Pass, but I'm sure it will do well. It's just not going to be as "important" to Xbox as the Halo franchise.

Last edited:
Why is 2023 a key moment in the Xbox lifecycle? Even with 2022 being a very slow year for them, the Xbox Series S/X is still outpacing the Xbox 360 in sales.

GymWolf

It could be if the game is gonna be as big of a success as was skyrim.

For all the people in denial, can you name 5 xbox games from the past 15 years that come close to skyrim success?

Not only in term of copies sold, but as a mediatic phenomenon.

I'll wait.

Last edited:

Jennings

Based on what they've shown so far, no. Call of Duty is more important and Starfield won't even move the needle. That why MS is spending tens of billions on Activision.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Guys. Hyping yourself up like this is just going to guarantee that you don't enjoy the game.

To answer your question, maybe? It's probably the most visible single exclusive on Xbox in many years, but I'll add a huge caveat.

I think Gamepass has just fundamentally changed the game for them and de-emphasized the reliance on exclusives. Most Xbox fans on here seem to be pretty happy throughout this last year and have had a ton to play. This game will be added to a large list of things to play. It's just a totally different model these days. Not saying that to downplay; it's my actual opinion. I personally don't think the game will even score in the 90s on MC. And it wont be the end of the world if it comes out as just Fallout 4 in space, which is pretty much exactly what I expect. It'll be a nice Gamepass addition, and a big RPG. People will have fun playing it, and it will move some consoles.

Elder Scrolls VI will be an entirely different matter in my opinion. That's going to be an earthquake, because the IP is just so much bigger.

Probably yes. But even if Starfield is a complete flop Xbox will be fine. They are already selling just fine with little to show in terms of exclusives.

Had Halo been a flop on the other hand, that might have been it for Microsoft’s console initiative.

Flutta

Banned
Ice Cube Reaction GIF

squarealex

Starfield will be criticized by the press, review bomb, the players will not like it, they will put mass dislikes everywhere. But in the end, people will still buy it like Fallout 4, Fallout 76, New Skyrim Remaster etc...

Mercador

They seem to show it that way, at least for Bethesda. But too much marketing hype can bite you back. It seems people don't remind No Man Sky. I have no doubt that it will be a Bethesda title alright, full of bugs at launch but it will be better over time if they don't drop it.

No...this idea of "most important game" is silly. Halo infinite did okay, didn't affect Xbox in any way. If star field is bad or okay only chronically online fanboys will make a big deal. It's just another game. Then fable will be, then avowed will be according to the same people.

Labadal

For all the people in denial, can you name 5 xbox games from the past 15 years that come close to skyrim success?

I'll wait.
I am saying no because MS is already doing well without too many exclusives, and they will be fine even if Starfield flops (which is unlikely).

Halo was more important in a whole other way than Starfield is.

GymWolf

I am saying no because MS is already doing well without too many exclusives, and they will be fine even if Starfield flops (which is unlikely).

Halo was more important in a whole other way than Starfield is.
And all of that change the fact that starfield could be one of their major games ever how exactly?

Also doing well is very relative, last 2 years weren't exactly spectacular for M games wise.

fallingdove

No.

It will be important to loyalists if it’s good. The Xbox crowd have been trained to get overly hyped for these sparsely released hits.

The sea change will happen for the Xbox brand with the 4th solid title that releases to cap a quick succession of solid titles.

Matt_Fox

leJsvqy.jpg

3YGdygM.jpg

GGCHqT9.jpg

Add Gears Of War and Starfield along with Halo. Three hugely important games for Xbox and they are giving that demographic what they want. All three consoles have certain strengths... Nintendo have their wonderfully fun cutesy characters. Sony have their incredible cinematic adventures. Microsoft have these sci-fi action titles, and Starfield fits right in.

Kacho

It’s certainly the most important game during Phil Spencer’s reign as head of Xbox. He not only needs a smash hit, he needs his other teams to start cranking out high quality games on the regular post Starfield.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I'll wait.

You're expecting somebody to provide an example of an Xbox exclusive that has comparable sales AND "mediatic phenomenon" (whatever the Fuck that means) to a game that is multiplatform, had had multiple releases, etc.

LMAO

You do know the Xbox brand itself has been around 22 years... versus TES franchise which has been around 29 years. Yeah, totally fair challenge there 🙄

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Not even close.

While not being big anymore, I doubt anyone else could beat Halo for Xbox.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I definitely think it's a tent pole release for Xbox, but I always consider the big Bethesda RPG releases to be a bigger deal on PC solely due to the modding scene.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Lol not even close, that's a game nobody had played and I don't understand the expectations some have, Gears of wars is what you're looking for, that game almost buried PS dominance and made the X360 popular choice for core gamers back in the day, it was a graphical and gameplay revolution in the eyes of many, that game alone threw in a pit the nonsense of ps3 being way ahead of the X360 in terms of power... Between it and Halo 3 Xbox was finally making it into mainstream

GymWolf

You're expecting somebody to provide an example of an Xbox exclusive that has comparable sales AND "mediatic phenomenon" (whatever the Fuck that means) to a game that is multiplatform, had had multiple releases, etc.

LMAO

You do know the Xbox brand itself has been around 22 years... versus TES franchise which has been around 29 years. Yeah, totally fair challenge there 🙄
I think you are looking at my post from the wrong perspective here, i was not downplaying or trolling M, it is an ultra positive thing if starfield is gonna be as big as skyrim and it is undeniable that not many M games can keep up with the hype of space skyrim, the game is gonna be absolutely huge, way more hyped than the last 3-4 gears sequels, surely more hyped than infinite was after all the red flags during the development cycle, surely more hype than sea of thieves or the 10th entries in the forza franchise.

Mine was not an attempt of trolling but maybe my request was a bit unfair.

(and i don't even fucking like bethesda rpgs that much if not at all)

Last edited:
Top Bottom