• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Starfield the most important game in Xbox's history since the original Halo?

Labadal

And all of that change the fact that starfield could be one of their major games ever how exactly?

Also doing well is very relative, last 2 years weren't exactly spectacular for M games wise.
It doesn't. It is a major game, off the scales major, yet it still doesn't hold a candle to the importance that Halo had. I'm someone who never even played Halo, but it put Microsoft on the map. Right now, they are all over the map. If Starfield bombs, it's a blow for MS, but they still have other Ips, and if/when they acquire ActiBlizz, they will have Call of Duty and Diablo. They have Forza, a good Gears could be very big. A Starfield flop would be big, but it isn't going to ruin MS. They have had stinkers before, but people still stayed with Xbox.

GymWolf

It doesn't. It is a major game, off the scales major, yet it still doesn't hold a candle to the importance that Halo had. I'm someone who never even played Halo, but it put Microsoft on the map. Right now, they are all over the map. If Starfield bombs, it's a blow for MS, but they still have other Ips, and if/when they acquire ActiBlizz, they will have Call of Duty and Diablo. They have Forza, a good Gears could be very big. A Starfield flop would be big, but it isn't going to ruin MS. They have had stinkers before, but people still stayed with Xbox.
I think the topic said "biggest game SINCE halo" so we all agree that halo is still bigger.

Not sure how bigger it is now after the half flop of infinite and 343 management tho.

StueyDuck

Important for 2023 yes...

Important for all of history since halo... fat chance 🤣.

Edit: I'd argue that Forza was more important than starfield will ever be.

People buy Xboxs purely for forza. I don't anecdotally know anyone doing so for starfield. Especially where it will release on PC anyway. The only platform to actually play a Bethesda games title so that it actually works via mods and community fixes

Last edited:

Labadal

I think the topic said "biggest game SINCE halo" so we all agree that halo is still bigger.

Not sure how bigger it is now after the half flop of infinite and 343 management tho.
Sure, it will be the biggest game since Halo, until Call of Duty goes exclusive. Source: my butt.

brian0057

Banned
Halo 2 and 3 made it into national news agencies when they launched.
I doubt Starfield will manage that.

Also, it looks like Fallout 4 in space with an actual dialog system.
I'm not holding my breath.

Bro Halo was a KILLER launch title.

Starfield is a meme

Are you all living in delusion? Starfield is literally the only major title coming out for xbox that has the power to change its software perception to most people, especially people that love single player games. It’s the only game they have that could be considered a GOTY contender and system seller at this point.

Is this a case of people trying to downplay it so that if it doesn’t live up to expectations there won’t be a bunch of wet seats come reviews?

Literally nothing else announced from Microsoft has the ability to be massive sellers like a Bethesda RPG

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Are you all living in delusion? Starfield is literally the only major title coming out for xbox that has the power to change its software perception to most people, especially people that love single player games. It’s the only game they have that could be considered a GOTY contender and system seller at this point.

Is this a case of people trying to downplay it so that if it doesn’t live up to expectations there won’t be a bunch of wet seats come reviews?

Literally nothing else announced from Microsoft has the ability to be massive sellers like a Bethesda RPG

Srry forgot I was on gaming side

flying_sq

I don't think any single game is important to MS anymore, but yes and no. No because MS is going SaaS with a hope towards Consoles as a Service. Yes because it's important for them to have tent pole games for their service but what specific game it is, I don't think really matters to them.

It's the most important videogame in the entire history of Xbox. So 100% yes. It's significance to the future of Xbox is unmistakable. The original Halo was vital to the early Xbox years, and Starfield is a crucial piece to not just the future of Game Pass, but the future of Xbox and gaming at Microsoft as a whole.

Some people can and will always find something not to like about a particular game, but the way that Bethesda makes games is just a formula that speaks to me as a gamer, and clearly to a lot of other gamers out there. In my view they are a team that has never missed, so there's just no question how incredible this game is going to be.

Aenima

No. Starfield is way too identical in concept to No Man Sky from what in the gameplay trailer. Halo pretty much paved the road to FPS on consoles.
Also Starfield gonna be available day1 on PC while Halo was a true exclusive.

ES6 is the game most bugthesda fans are waiting for. Me included.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
For me, it's more downplaying expectations to just match reality. Bethesda hasn't been top of the world for a while now. Even Howard said publicly that now they feel extra pressure because they have to be "THE GAME." That's just not what this is going to be. That's reality. It's going to be similar to Fallout in space. Bethesda is not top of the world in animations, graphics, or gameplay. It's not a showpiece, flashy title like the big Sony titles.

The game will live or die by its writing.

Last edited:
If Starfield succeeds, this could be enough to rekindle people's trust in the brand and make them patient enough to wait until Senua's Saga that presumably will launch next year. Following this, we're expecting Avowed, and Perfect Dark later on. Starfield is the kickoff. On the other hand, if it fails, it would be absolutely disastrous. Microsoft is putting a lot of faith in that game and so are gamers. Described as Skyrim in space by some, it's expected to be the biggest release of Xbox in years...
y'know, if you're ms, & the best spin you can put on starfield this is that maybe it'll hold people over most of a year until the next senua game (?!), then i'm thinking that you've already lost...

Last edited:
I’ve said this before, but Starfield is equally as important to the xbox brand moving forward as Factions is gonna be for Sony.

microsoft has lacked that big bombastic GOTY type system seller game since like, Halo 3? They desperately need somethign that is going to change the “no games” or “forza, halo, gears” narrative for them and it won’t be Redfall. Starfield is a major game, its big budget, its an rpg, and its single player all the things you need to be worthy of a 90+ metacritic and gain some prestige for the brand

Its the exact opposite for sony is in they haven’t had a first party hit multiplayer game since the early PS3 days and they are banking on service games to ease the burden of how expensive their AAA single player games have gotten. They need to prove they can stand next to the big 3rd parties and even microsoft in offering compelling on going game titles.

This is a big year for both platforms

MacReady13

Lol not even close, that's a game nobody had played and I don't understand the expectations some have, Gears of wars is what you're looking for, that game almost buried PS dominance and made the X360 popular choice for core gamers back in the day, it was a graphical and gameplay revolution in the eyes of many, that game alone threw in a pit the nonsense of ps3 being way ahead of the X360 in terms of power... Between it and Halo 3 Xbox was finally making it into mainstream
This exactly. If you’ve only jumped on board the Xbox train since the launch of the Xbox One then yes, this might be the biggest launch for Xbox. But some of us have been around a little longer and know how significant Gears was when it arrived. A literal game changer for Xbox.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I’ve said this before, but Starfield is equally as important to the xbox brand moving forward as Factions is gonna be for Sony.

microsoft has lacked that big bombastic GOTY type system seller game since like, Halo 3? They desperately need somethign that is going to change the “no games” or “forza, halo, gears” narrative for them and it won’t be Redfall. Starfield is a major game, its big budget, its an rpg, and its single player all the things you need to be worthy of a 90+ metacritic and gain some prestige for the brand

Its the exact opposite for sony is in they haven’t had a first party hit multiplayer game since the early PS3 days and they are banking on service games to ease the burden of how expensive their AAA single player games have gotten. They need to prove they can stand next to the big 3rd parties and even microsoft in offering compelling on going game titles.

This is a big year for both platforms
Personally, still think there's nothing shown from Bethesda in the last 10 years to justify expecting Starfield to be GOTY. That's just not what its going to be. It's going to be fun though, and a big event for GP subscribers.

Kacho

Personally, still think there's nothing shown from Bethesda in the last 10 years to justify expecting Starfield to be GOTY. That's just not what its going to be. It's going to be fun though, and a big event for GP subscribers.
A big single player Bethesda RPG will always be in the conversation for GOTY. It's an event game. Something few games can classify themselves as. Whether it wins those awards is irrelevant though. What matters is that Starfield will be the first tentpole release for Xbox in ages. It's in a different stratosphere compared to their output over the past 10 years. That's why the OP is saying it's the most important game for the platform since Halo, and I would agree.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
A big single player Bethesda RPG will always be in the conversation for GOTY. It's an event game. Something few games can classify themselves as. Whether it wins those awards is irrelevant though. What matters is that Starfield will be the first tentpole release for Xbox in ages. It's in a different stratosphere compared to their output over the past 10 years. That's why the OP is saying it's the most important game for the platform since Halo, and I would agree.
Fallout 4 certainly wasn't. I just think people are holding on to Bethesda's standing 15 years ago. Starfield will be an event, but .... it literally is Fallout 4 in space based on what they've shown. Just saying. I'd be happy to be wrong, since I plan on playing it.

Matt_Fox

This exactly. If you’ve only jumped on board the Xbox train since the launch of the Xbox One then yes, this might be the biggest launch for Xbox. But some of us have been around a little longer and know how significant Gears was when it arrived. A literal game changer for Xbox.

Agreed, the through line goes from Halo on Xbox, Gears Of War on Xbox 360, and now Starfield on XSX. You cant leave Gears out, it was a big reason why the 360 is still held in high regard.

Kacho

Fallout 4 certainly wasn't. I just think people are holding on to Bethesda's standing 15 years ago. Starfield will be an event, but .... it literally is Fallout 4 in space based on what they've shown. Just saying. I'd be happy to be wrong, since I plan on playing it.
Fallout 4 wasn’t an event game? How so?

I agree that it was disappointing but the game had a massive debut on PC. We can only assume it was the same on consoles. Fallout 4 continues to chart on the most played lists for Steam and Xbox 7 years later too.

I do share your trepidation on the quality of Starfield though. It sounds like they’re making the right changes based on criticism they received for Fallout 4, but we won’t truly know until we sink 100-200 hours lol.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
No. It's poised to be their Fable. Pretty cool, fairly ambitious, and largely forgotten in a couple months. It has more potential than most of the studio's recent output, but in terms of importance to MS? Moderate at best.

Kokoloko85

Alot is riding on it. So yeah.
Halo Infinite was no Halo 3, its their biggest AAA IP. They need in this day and age

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Is the Xbox brand dying or something.
Isnt the Xbox Division still making a killing.
People are acting like 2022 having not released any AAA first party titles was the end of Xbox.....as if the general public actually give a shit about first party titles.

I just want to play FIFA, Madden, Roblox, Apex Legends, Fortnite and Warzone 2.....can I play them on Xbox?
Yes
Okay cool.

Most important game in Xbox history?
Mate, that only matters when you are entering the market.
You need something to have people want to buy your box.
With third party games ruling the roost it doesnt matter anywhere near as much once you are already established whether you have a tentpole game or not.

If the Xbox One didnt kill the Xbox brand, the Series X|S most certainly wont.

Black_Stride

No. It's poised to be their Fable. Pretty cool, fairly ambitious, and largely forgotten in a couple months. It has more potential than most of the studio's recent output, but in terms of importance to MS? Moderate at best.
Just like Skyrim and Fallout 4 were quickly forgotten yeah?

Fallout 4 is 8 years old
Skyrim is 12 years old

Both games are still on the most played list on console and on Steam.
We are to assume Bethesda is suddenly gonna release a game that people will forget in a couple of months?

Danny Dudekisser

Just like Skyrim and Fallout 4 were quickly forgotten yeah?

Fallout 4 is 8 years old
Skyrim is 12 years old

Both games are still on the most played list on console and on Steam.
We are to assume Bethesda is suddenly gonna release a game that people will forget in a couple of months?
Yes, because if we don't cherry pick examples like those, their last couple of games were Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop, neither of which retained interest for long. Their track record isn't particularly stellar of late.

gothmog

Gold Member
I don't think any particular game is as important as a reliable pipeline. Right now GamePass and Xbox seem to be doing fine without major first party support. Price cuts on the S and third party games seem to be keeping the things growing.

Kacho

Yes, because if we don't cherry pick examples like those, their last couple of games were Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop, neither of which retained interest for long. Their track record isn't particularly stellar of late.
Dude how are we still doing this in 2023? Bethesda the publisher is not the same as Bethesda the game studio. Todd Howard and his teams had nothing to do with Ghostwire or Deathloop or Wolfenstein or Rage 2 or Rogue Warrior.

sachos

I dont know since Halo but definitely in recent history. A lot of hype and hope is rinding on Starfield shoulders, you can clearly see it in all the Xbox community discussions on Forums, Twiter or Youtube.

EDMIX

yea...no to all that.

I don't even care for Halo anymore, but the IP was monumental for MS and XB. I think Starfield will be a massive game, but relative to Halo? Unlikely.

I think MS needs to worry about having an important catalog more then 1 important game or something.

Danny Dudekisser

Dude how are we still doing this in 2023? Bethesda the publisher is not the same as Bethesda the game studio. Todd Howard and his teams had nothing to do with Ghostwire or Deathloop or Wolfenstein or Rage 2 or Rogue Warrior.

Comparing recent new IP that Bethesda signed off on seems like a better analogue than looking at the performance of an entry from an established franchise that launched 8 years ago. That was a totally different world.

Crayon

Maybe since forza horizon. The last consequential series they came up with. So 10 years or so. If Microsoft wouldn't have bought this almost completed game it would the most important PlayStation game for the last 6 months.

Pelta88

It is.

But it shouldn't be. The weight of expectations on this game is heavy because it's the first new AAA game XBOX has released since Quantum Break back in 2016. With the XBOX platform lacking in regards to the AAA space and ceo's pumping the game as the next best thing... A low 80's will be seen as a failure.

Obviously, a game scoring in the low 80s isn't a bad game! But again, with the weight of expectation on this one title, I can see a negative narrative being spun.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Gears was pretty important back in the day too.

I think any big name game is important for Xbox as Halo doesn't have the draw like it did during the 360 days. The games came out more often, played more, ranked higher in online user lists and the quality seemed higher.

If this was 2007 everyone would be amped up for Halo 3. No other game (except maybe a GTA game) would be up there in interest. Now, there's tons of games that overshadow Halo. More people will talk about and play Diablo 4 over Halo Infinite or if there's a Halo 7.

Kacho

Comparing recent new IP that Bethesda signed off on seems like a better analogue than looking at the performance of an entry from an established franchise that launched 8 years ago. That was a totally different world.
What Starfield, Fallout and Elder Scrolls have in common is that they’re all made by Bethesda game studios, and titles they make tend to have a long shelf life. Your comment stating that it would fall off and be forgotten in two months couldn’t be more wrong.

Black_Stride

Mate please dont be stupid.

Ghostwire Tokyo was by Tango GameWorks
Deathloop was by Arkane

You even specifically said and i quote "It has more potential than most of the studio's recent output", so we know you know you are specifically talking about that studio....Bethesda Game Studios.

9f5e7ae440d1f828fd5f123dd6b4c0c2.jpg

Last edited:
I say yes. It’s not quite on the scale of a Halo 3, but I feel it’s very important for Microsoft’s already tarnished first party gaming reputation. If it’s disappointing, that will probably be a big blow for Microsoft at least as far as big exclusives are concerned.

Havoc2049

Ever since Oblivion, Bethesda RPGs have always been blockbuster games. Because Xbox offerings were pretty sparse last year, there does seem to be more stress on Redfall, Starfield and Forza Motorsport to perform well this year. The game will most likely fill that role of Xbox exclusive killer app RPG, much like Morrowind, Oblivion and Mass Effect did in the past. It will definitely move some consoles.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Ever since Oblivion, Bethesda RPGs have always been blockbuster games. Because Xbox offerings were pretty sparse last year, there does seem to be more stress on Redfall, Starfield and Forza Motorsport to perform well this year. The game will most likely fill that role of Xbox exclusive killer app RPG, much like Morrowind, Oblivion and Mass Effect did in the past. It will definitely move some consoles.
Use your eyeballs and just describe what you see in reality. Watch the Starfield footage. Its Fallout 4 in space. Dont use your memory of the past.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Right now, I'd say Starfield is the game people are going to judge Microsoft's re-energised focused on gaming by, for better or for worse. Microsoft stepped in and bought up Bethesda, and have Activision Blizzard lined up next, to bolster their output. However, Microsoft have also failed to deliver much with their other studios, save for Turn10 and PlayGround. Starfield is, effectively, the first game off their new runway, and it's going to be an indicator as to whether or not their new focus can deliver the goods. There's a reason it was delayed: Microsoft knows Starfield has to deliver, not just for gamers, but for the sake of their investors and shareholders, who've backed USD$77,000,000,000 in purchases.

If Starfield lands with a thud, gamers and shareholders won't be terribly enthusiastic about the prospects of Microsoft's other purchases. If it delivers on its promise, everyone will proclaim "Xbox is back!". So, yeah - that's a pretty darn important title.

Top Bottom