• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is the "starting gun" for first-party Xbox games

Ozriel

M$FT
It's just that it look pretty ridiculous to brag about releasing "first party games" (bought third party studio/games if the term "stolen" makes you uncomfortable) when your competitors have been creating first party games since forever.

Again, none of this has any relevance. Nobody at the consumer level cares how the omelette is made. You think anyone who talks about Sony’s lineup for this year cares that FFXVI was a bought exclusive or Spiderman 2 comes from a purchased studio, with paid exclusivity on a popular, mainstream IP?

It’s business. Nothing more. And certainly no issue for the end user.

Claiming Microsoft’s first party studios don’t make first party games is weird as hell. But par for the course with this thread anyway.

"This is, in my mind, the doorway, almost like a starting gun, to what I think is going to be a multi-year relay race of first-party titles," West told us.
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Gambit2483

Shouldn't the "start gun" have been @ or near launch? I get what he's saying but this isn't something to hype or flex 3 years into a platforms life.

Ozriel

M$FT
Nope. As others have called out, this game was in production long before Xbox bought Bethesda and was threatening to be a PS Exclusive.

Once the new version of Microsoft Studios takes a AAA game that isn't Forza all the way to release and it scores 9+, we can have this conversation.

Ah yes. The arbitrary 90+ cutoff.

If that was the only benchmark for giving studios props, we’d pretty much eliminate the bulk of studios in the industry, including the bulk of first party across all three console makers.

Awfully convenient to exclude Forza. It doesn’t count, because reasons.

MarkMe2525

Sometimes you have to wonder if they are all the same person.
I followed misterxmedia for a long time. It was like watching a car crash and I found It wildly entertaining. At first, I would attempt to have sensible conversations, but this typically led to me being banned for not agreeing that tiled resources and the 2nd gpu would bring X1's performance in line with 7-10 teraflop gpu's. In saying that, they are not the same person. Their speech patterns are completely different.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

It's a list of games of people enjoying steam games by player count for example here's anouther list.

g6s0rRo.jpg

Some people where saying 2921 was GOTY material, truly us game pass users are eating great. Unironically I do have gamepass and am looking forward to playing starfield on PC (I bought it on steam for the mods) and Gamepass for my Xbox naturally... I just don't think it's going to be the start of some sort of sudden blossoming of great Microsoft exclusives. It would need to be like the 3rd title in a row within the same year for that to happen.

Last edited:
I mean, I'd hope so, for the sake of the millions who stood by Xbox through thick and thin. Plus, you have bought half the workforce of the industry, so better, more regular output is the least one should expect! 🤷‍♂️
Excited about Starfield myself. The rest, we'll see!

DeaDPo0L84

It's a bit funny that the start of consistent games launching on XSX had to start by buying a major AAA publisher who was already well into development on the "starting gun". Imagine being a shitty football GM but then you just buy the Patriots when they are already killing it and then act as if you figured shit. I'd be more impressed if there was a consistent release of 1st party games by studios that have been with Xbox for the past decade. Most of my favorite franchises that got them off the ground like Gears and Halo are nowhere near as good as they once were and the hype surrounding them is essentially nonexistent. Throwing money around isn't impressive, it doesn't solve the underlying issue which seems to be leadership/management. But like I have been saying, I would absolutely love to be proven wrong over the next couple years if they suddenly figure it out.

In the end I simply play good games, fortunately Xbox games launch on PC so if any of these future titles turn out good I'll be there day one, all the typical PR speak though can kick rocks.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This faux stolen-valor nonsense will never get old :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The acquisition happened 3 years ago, the game was going to be pushed out circa 2021, the developers were given 2 years of additional dev time along with pretty much all of the first party resources and QA they would need over the development years.

@Punished Miku your prediction is becoming more accurate with each passing day, lol.

A new narrative is born!

Ozriel

M$FT
. Unironically I do have gamepass and am looking forward to playing starfield on PC (I bought it on steam for the mods) and Gamepass for my Xbox naturally... I just don't think it's going to be the start of some sort of sudden blossoming of great Microsoft exclusives. It would need to be like the 3rd title in a row within the same year for that to happen.

Starfield next week (September). Forza in October.

2024 already looking good with Hellblade 2, Avowed, Towerborne and MSFS 2024. Plus unannounced stuff. Not to mention timed stuff like STALKER 2. I’d be surprised if we don’t get a Gears 6 next year, but we’ll see.

It already looks like the exec’s most likely to be right.

Of course if you’re a Gamepass subscriber, this amps up significantly, with multiple solid games hitting the service.

It's a bit funny that the start of consistent games launching on XSX had to start by buying a major AAA publisher who was already well into development on the "starting gun".

Irrelevant. First party is first party. Most console makers grow their first party lineup via acquisitions and expansion. Microsoft is no exception

I'd be more impressed if there was a consistent release of 1st party games by studios that have been with Xbox for the past decade.

To the consumer on the ground, this distinction is irrelevant and silly. As you note in the next quote…

In the end I simply play good games

At least you finally see the light midway through your post.

Ozriel

M$FT
I’m not saying it won’t be good. I’m saying it won’t sell any hardware.

If that the first thing you think about when you boot up a game, you’re doing gaming wrong.

Only metric that counts is if the game provides a quality experience for people in the Xbox ecosystem.

DeaDPo0L84

Starfield next week (September). Forza in October.

2024 already looking good with Hellblade 2, Avowed, Towerborne and MSFS 2024. Plus unannounced stuff. Not to mention timed stuff like STALKER 2. I’d be surprised if we don’t get a Gears 6 next year, but we’ll see.

Irrelevant. First party is first party. Most console makers grow their first party lineup via acquisitions and expansion. Microsoft is no exception

To the consumer on the ground, this distinction is irrelevant and silly. As you note in the next quote…

At least you finally see the light midway through your post.
I gave my opinion, it was never framed as a "Starfield will not do that great because of X..." I literally said "I WOULD" to preface most of my points. I don't speak for anyone but myself, whereas you seem to believe you speak for the entire consumer base?

Don't interpret something from nothing, makes you look dumb.

danklord

Gold Member
“It doesn’t count for arbitrary reasons I don’t like”
Ah yes. The arbitrary 90+ cutoff.

If that was the only benchmark for giving studios props, we’d pretty much eliminate the bulk of studios in the industry, including the bulk of first party across all three console makers.

Awfully convenient to exclude Forza. It doesn’t count, because reasons.

Hmm, ok. Let me try again.

Outside of Forza, an established 20+ year franchise with a consistent development history, Microsoft Studios has failed to develop a hit first-party title or launch an original IP since the release of Xbox Series X, and Starfield doesn't prove they can internally develop one. They have displayed a consistent pattern of poor quality releases and it has damaged the first party brand.

Therefore, in response to the thread title, Starfield is not the starting gun to usher in the new era of first party Xbox titles.

Mr Hyde

I've totally missed Towerborne. Looks great. I loved Guardian Heroes and this looks like a spiritual successor of sorts. I gotta say, I'm impressed by XGS bringing smaller quality titles to the light of day. It looks to be their forte nowadays.

Ozriel

M$FT

Outside of Forza, an established 20+ year franchise with a consistent development history, Microsoft Studios has failed to develop a hit first-party title or launch an original IP since the release of Xbox Series X, and Starfield doesn't prove they can internally develop one. They have displayed a consistent pattern of poor quality releases and it has damaged the first party brand.

Ah yes. The same spiel of putting the failings of Redfall on Microsoft yet shirking from doing same with Starfield.

Because aside Redfall, the bulk of Microsoft first party games since 2019 have launched with very good reviews. ‘Consistent pattern of poor quality releases’ is a fable.

Pentiment isn’t an original IP? Grounded? The original IP in development from the likes of InXile and Compulsion, showed at the June showcase? 😀

Therefore, in response to the thread title, Starfield is not the starting gun to usher in the new era of first party Xbox titles.

It sure looks like it. Because the actual quote from the exec in the right context talks about Starfield kicking off a regular cadence of first party releases…and we can certainly clearly see that outcome as a likely reality. 5-6 big games in the next 15 months IS a step change.

Lol @ ‘responding to thread title’. Why would you do that?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

ZNO7kyN.jpg

Y3KHkv6.jpg

nmbBW2O.jpg

All 3 are from the last 12 months.

SABRE220

Jesus christ guys just shutup and start actually producing results its been a damn decade of talk with nothing to show for it. At this point let the games do the talking, I miss the 360 days.

danklord

Gold Member
ZNO7kyN.jpg

Y3KHkv6.jpg

nmbBW2O.jpg

All 3 are from the last 12 months.
Obsidian, acquired in 2018. But I'll give it to you because it didn't take 5 years to develop. Are we considering this a major first party success?

Tango Game Works, part of Bethesda Studios, acquired in 2020. The game took 5 years to develop, so this was started before the purchase. Try again!

Can't wait for Xbox's next first party game, Call of Duty. I hear it'll do numbers!

adamsapple

Obsidian, acquired in 2018. But I'll give it to you because it didn't take 5 years to develop. Are we considering this a major first party success?

Tango Game Works, part of Bethesda Studios, acquired in 2020. The game took 5 years to develop, so this was started before the purchase. Try again!

No thanks. Not interested in this bad-faith argument game you're playing lol.

By your logic, Spider Man 2 releasing this year shouldn't count because Sony only acquired Insomniac 3~4 years ago.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

By your logic, Spider Man 2 releasing this year shouldn't count because Sony only acquired Insomniac 3~4 years ago.
No by his logic miles doesnt count but spidey 2 does, try to keep up with sony's releases.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
1 game. 1 game doesn"t change the course of a decade. You need 20-30 to start talking on the same ballpark of the other 2.
Not 20 30 but a least a good series of 5 6 would be enough.Honestly it should even be the lowest possible outcome yet here we are.

adamsapple

1 game. 1 game doesn"t change the course of a decade. You need 20-30 to start talking on the same ballpark of the other 2.

I don't think anyone is realistically expecting 20, 30 releases in a few weeks, but they have 2 big first party games coming out in the next 2 months.

They also have Avowed in Q1 '24. So that's three big first party games releasing in the next couple of months.

Beechos

For real these xbox people need to stfu they been saying this every year maybe release a couple of good games in a row first. A couple of games announced years ago still have nothing short of cg trailers.

Last edited:

danklord

Gold Member

It's not a bad-faith argument, by your logic Call of Duty is first party once the ABK purchase happens. Do you agree with that?

I'm not afraid of the Spider Man take, though development was started in September 2020, and Sony acquired Insomniac in 2019. But we're also not saying that it's start of Sony's first-party run.

Last edited:

Sanepar

I don't think anyone is realistically expecting 20, 30 releases in a few weeks, but they have 2 big first party games coming out in the next 2 months.

They also have Avowed in Q1 '24. So that's three big first party games releasing in the next couple of months.
But we are talking about quality not quantity. I agree with u about Starfield and Forza being good games, not so sure about Avowed.

Top Bottom