• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is the "starting gun" for first-party Xbox games

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Speaking at Gamescom, where the company has been showcasing the sci-fi RPG extensively, Xbox chief marketing officer Jerret West said the Bethesda game marks the start of a prolonged period of regular new Xbox exclusives.

"This is, in my mind, the doorway, almost like a starting gun, to what I think is going to be a multi-year relay race of first-party titles," West told us.

"I was sitting there watching the same [Starfield presentation] you were this morning and I was like… this is really the start of something that's going to then lead to Forza, then in 2024 as we go to Hellblade, and we think about Towerborne which is on the show floor, we think about Avowed, and we've got stories we haven't told yet as well, that are going to unfurl in 2024 and 2025.”

Xbox has struggled for consistency with its first-party titles over the last 18 months. 2022 featured few exclusive releases, while its most notable game so far this year, Redfall, was reviewed poorly. However, the firm’s summer showcase in June was received positively from the media.

West continued: "This very much feels like the starting gun for this relay pass that's going to take place over the next couple of years. So as a marketer, I'm super excited about that. And then if you layer in also, Game Pass and the third party relationships that we have... Our third party support that rolls into Game Pass – but also is just on our platform – is critically important too. So I think we are entering a period where this is the beginning of something that's going to be really special over the course of the next several years."

Vox Machina

Banned
Is that a threat?!

Season 1 Gun GIF

Actual take: As a Game Pass enjoyer, my body is ready!

Last edited:
Xbox has struggled for consistency with its first-party titles over the last 18 months. 2022 featured few exclusive releases, while its most notable game so far this year, Redfall, was reviewed poorly. However, the firm’s summer showcase in June was received positively from the media.
18 months? I’d say that they’ve been struggling for years at this point. Were there any exclusives in 2022? As someone that owns a Series X, I don’t remember there being a single exclusive although I may be wrong.

I am excited to see how things play out though over the next 12 months. Their show was good in June and I just hope that they can start to consistently push out good games, without the need to rely on buying even more third parties out. You’ve got so many studios, let’s see what they’ve been cooking!

Sanepar

10 years saying the same. Let the games speak and let stop the pr and hope for the future. Starfield is one game. How many high quality AAA games Sony and Nintendo released last 10 years?

1 game will change nothing. Not even 2 or 3. They will need a lot of gems to change the narrative. 1 game with 23 studios is a random and not a flow.

Zuzu

I think Starfield and Forza will be good but it wouldn’t surprise me if around 6 months after Forza releases the momentum starts to drop again.

I have my doubts about how good the gameplay of Hellblade 2 will be and I’m not impressed with Avowed. Gears 6 is nowhere to be seen atm and Fable 4 is probably some time away though I am looking forward to it. Clockwork Revolution looks good but probably won’t be out next year.

So yeah, this might be the starting gun but there needs to continuous fire.

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
I think Starfield and Forza will be good but it wouldn’t surprise me if around 6 months after Forza releases the momentum starts to drop again.

I have my doubts about how good the gameplay of Hellblade 2 will be and I’m not impressed with Avowed. Gears 6 is nowhere to be seen atm and Fable 4 is probably some time away though I am looking forward to it. Clockwork Revolution looks good but probably won’t be out next year.

So yeah, this might be the starting gun but there needs to continuous fire.
For me, it's about all the games. AAA and indie. With Hi-Fi Rush, AoE 2 for Xbox, AoE 4 for Xbox, Minecraft Legends, Starfield, Forza Motorsport 2023, Goldeneye, Ghostwire Tokyo, FH5/SoT/EoS DLC all in 2023, it's kept me way busy and will keep me way busy. And that is on top of me working my way through FF16 right now, and Spider-Man 2 in October. Great time to be a gamer, IMO.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Speaking at Gamescom, where the company has been showcasing the sci-fi RPG extensively, Xbox chief marketing officer Jerret West said the Bethesda game marks the start of a prolonged period of regular new Xbox exclusives.

"This is, in my mind, the doorway, almost like a starting gun, to what I think is going to be a multi-year relay race of first-party titles," West told us.

"I was sitting there watching the same [Starfield presentation] you were this morning and I was like… this is really the start of something that's going to then lead to Forza, then in 2024 as we go to Hellblade, and we think about Towerborne which is on the show floor, we think about Avowed, and we've got stories we haven't told yet as well, that are going to unfurl in 2024 and 2025.”

Xbox Chief of Marketing blown away by the concept of a product release roadmap apparently.

MarkMe2525

It is silly how we continually hear this narrative from MS. I don't necessarily think it's untrue at this point, but they have been attempting to bring this to fruition for the past few years.

Top Bottom