• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is the "starting gun" for first-party Xbox games

Raziel

VBRKcjP.gif

Very few games are system sellers. It doesn't seem Starfield will revolutionize the genre like a Breath of The Wild or God of War. The problem for Microsoft is I'm not sure how many big budget games they have in the pipeline that will get gamers excited. Their big release next year is Avowed, which seemed to underwhelm in the last trailer released. Fable looks amazing, but that is not coming till 2025 or 2026. And that is coming from a studio with no history of making RPG's. So it's pretty unfair to put that pressure on them

The ABK acquisition is the huge X factor. They have multiple high profile GAAS releasing in the near future. Maybe Microsoft makes those games exclusive as a means to attract gamers to their ecosystem? Otherwise, I don't see them competing much at all with Playstation this generation

Dr_Ifto

All jokes and anecdotes aside, this is a good starting point, and I cant wait to see whats next. This is the bar they set for themselves for their games.

Lokaum D+

next time start your "prolonged period of regular new Xbox exclusives" with a Bang, bring the heavy guns at least, stop using nerf guns.

Look at Sony and Nintendo droping 90+ bombs every year, what xbox has ? Redfall, Halo Infinite and now this, what a joke :(

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
next time start your "prolonged period of regular new Xbox exclusives" with a Bang, bring the heavy guns at least, dont start this with nerf guns.

Look at Sony and Nintendo droping bombs every year, what xbox has ? Redfall and now this, what a joke :(
MS should have gotten exclusivity for Goodbye Volcano High. That is how you start with heavy guns(snoots)

Success

How is 86-88 a misfire?

Fuck me, that's a really good review score.

Okay, it's not a GOTY contender, and probably won't shift the dial on Xbox's popularity that much, but the idea it's a misfire is just fucking silly.

You answered your own question.

That is like Last of Us Part 3 or God of War 3 getting 87.

It would be a HARD miss from Sony.

Sony even mandates a minimum score of 90 for their flagship IPs.

Was your comment a genuine one or are you just out of touch with modern gaming?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Redfall sucked, Diablo 4 made over $600m in a week (ABK at 2.2 billion for the Qtr), and Starfield MC is 2 points from 90. Although, since when is 90 the success benchmark for any game.

Lol. I would like what you all are smoking. ;)
Diablo 4 is planned as a gaas title. It bleeding active player base / retention is not a good thing for MS.

Game devs have bonus payments linked to MC performance. A 90+ is generating more money for devs and is a sure fire way of selling copies to people who simply buy the newest 90+ titles (in a way that Oskars used to pump VHS/DVD sales). It’s a important barrier for the industry.

None of these games are meeting internal MS expectations, I would bet on that.

Same way a Star Wars movies making 700mill could be called a failure as the potential is much higher, given cost of the IP for Disney etc.

All jokes and anecdotes aside, this is a good starting point, and I cant wait to see whats next. This is the bar they set for themselves for their games.
If Starfield is the starting point you actually want, then it is obvious what is next; find another studio making a AAA game and buy that studio. The goal being to call all the third party games (that would already be on Xbox) 1st party by buying them, but in the end never actually increasing the total game output on the console.

Starfield was coming to Xbox one way or another from the very beginning. Xbox is only taking credit for "making" it by buying the team out. If you think is is the way to go, then obviously further studio purchases that don't add new games to Xbox is what you want and crave. But how is that benefiting YOU?

Last edited:

lucbr

next time start your "prolonged period of regular new Xbox exclusives" with a Bang, bring the heavy guns at least, stop using nerf guns.

Look at Sony and Nintendo droping 90+ bombs every year, what xbox has ? Redfall, Halo Infinite and now this, what a joke :(

Which Sony Studios games achieved 90+ on PS5? Demons Souls and Ragnarok? So, same number for Xbox Series, no? Forza Horizon 5 and Fligh Simulator. I mean, the problem is not the metacritic score, people talk about Redfall and forget Hi-Fi Hush.

We can rephrase the statement that perhaps Xbox games don't have the same mass appeal. I, however, am glad that I can find varieties like Pentiment, AoE, Grounded, Flight Sim in Xbox, that I can play blockbusters like Ragnarok on Playstation and games like Zelda that only Nintendo knows how to make on Switch. I don't want Xbox doing the same games as Playstation.

And by the way, Starfield and its "low" 88 score, with its scale, visual and performace, is a hell of a bang. A joke is saying otherwise. Like it or not, it is already doing great numbers on early acess.

BTW, if microsoft wanted to increase console sales, the easiest thing would be to abandon the PC and the cloud. Fortunately they won't.

lucbr

Pretending Xbox came up with Starfield.
I mean Nintendo didn't pretend they invented Bayonetta. Nintendo isn't desperate.

No, they not pretending that. The meaning is that now they expect to have a cadence of xbox studios games hitting GamePass every quarter.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
You answered your own question.

That is like Last of Us Part 3 or God of War 3 getting 87.

It would be a HARD miss from Sony.

Sony even mandates a minimum score of 90 for their flagship IPs.

Was your comment a genuine one or are you just out of touch with modern gaming?
Yep why do people keep harping on FFXVI? 1. Because it strayed away from OG style, but also because he reviewed lower than the pedigree of quality the brand Final Fantasy/Square is known for. If a WELL established gaming franchise thats usually in the 90's hits an 80' (much like halo after 043 took over) thats a hard fuckn miss

X-Wing

Yep why do people keep harping on FFXVI? 1. Because it strayed away from OG style, but also because he reviewed lower than the pedigree of quality the brand Final Fantasy/Square is known for. If a WELL established gaming franchise thats usually in the 90's hits an 80' (much like halo after 043 took over) thats a hard fuckn miss

That is actually not true though.
Final Fantasy XVI had an aggregated score in line with the other Final Fantasy titles.

Top Bottom