• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is the "starting gun" for first-party Xbox games

Montauk

no worries, we are only half a gen in.

I don’t think that’s all fair to either Sony or MS considering what Covid and supply chain disasters have done to both consoles first 2 years.

You’re not comparing like with like. This wasn’t a normal period at all.

DaGwaphics

With the kind of studio numbers they have now it's reasonable to assume that the dry spells will become a thing of the past. Obviously, this guy has some access to the roadmap going forward.

vivftp

This year they've already got more than the competition,

HiFi Rush
Minecraft Legends
Redfall
Age Of Empires IV
Starfield
Forza Motorsport

Next year it gets even better.

SIE published games in 2023:

Horizon Call of the Mountain
Destiny 2 Lightfall
MLB 23
Horizon Burning Shores
Firewall Ultra
Spider-Man 2
Helldivers 2
Stellar Blade (still scheduled for 2023)

Then it's up to you whether you'd want to include releases like the PSVR2 mode for GT7 and Tren, which released within Dreams

Last edited:
Xbox always had the edge when it came to list wars of imaginary games.
So you are saying that Fable, State of Decay 3, Clockwork Revolution, South of Midnight, Forza, Gears 6, Indian Jones, Perfect Dark etc don't exist and just appear in lists?
Are you saying that id, Roundhouse, Arkane, Zenimax, Double Fine etc arnt working on new games?

The problem with Xbox was there wasn't many games on their "to be released in the future" list.
This was obviously due to the fact that they only had five game studios.
Now they have 22 studios, and around 29 teams in those studios working on separate games.
This isn't some fanciful list. It's a reality of Microsoft's first party studios.
They are working on games, they will release games, and the list I put up will come to pass. It's great to see the first party output from Xbox going through the roof. How cool is it to see them going from five studios to 22? They have most likely about 29 games in development, and that does not include the multiple games in development through XGS Publishing.
You have to admit, it's exciting to see what Microsoft has put together.

80% of the games you've listed only exist as a pre-rendered trailer or are maybe in development.

Also, of the two that are actually out now, Redfall was shit.
So you are saying that InXile has only got a CGI trailer for Clockwork Revolution, or that it's maybe in development?
You are only saying that Compulsion after four years work, only have a CGI trailer for South of Midnight?
Fable only exists as a CGI trailer?

Let's not be ridiculous here. You are coming across as someone who doesn't want it to be true, rather than someone who doesn't think it's true.

The work that MS has done to bring all those studios under Xbox is great to see.
The first party output from Xbox will really push the brand forward. It's great to see, and everyone should be happy to see it happen.

Skifi28

So you are saying that Fable, State of Decay 3, Clockwork Revolution, South of Midnight, Forza, Gears 6, Indian Jones, Perfect Dark etc don't exist and just appear in lists?
Are you saying that id, Roundhouse, Arkane, Zenimax, Double Fine etc arnt working on new games?
Reminds me of people putting Redfall in their lists about how bright the future was. Wait until you at least know something about a game before using it in console war lists.

The work Phil Spencer has done to bring this all together, from where it all started from, is awesome to see come to fruition.
Nevermind, pretend I wasn't here.

Last edited:
Reminds me of people putting Redfall in their lists about how bright the future was. Wait until you at least know something about a game before using it in console war lists.

Nevermind, pretend I wasn't here.
It's a list of games that Xbox is going to release. It has nothing to do with the metascores of the game.
Redfall was a game. It was on people's lists. It got released.
Why would having a list of games that Microsoft is going to release be considered as a "console war list"?
Do you see Xbox having alot of games coming up as a threat to Sony and therefore some sort of console war? That's a bizarre take.

As for Phil Spencer, he was in charge of Microsoft when they had five studios. He went into bat for gamers and the xbox brand with the head of MS, and took on the shareholders who didn't think games were a good buisness to be in.
He won those fights, and got given the money to build the xbox game studios.
He directed and oversaw the purchase of Ninja Theory, Playground Games, Obsidian, InXile, Double Fine, Compulsion Games, Undead Labs, Worlds Edge as well as setting up The Initiative.

He then oversaw the master-stroke of buying Zenimax, and later the potential purchase of ABK.
None of that happens without Phil Spencer.
I guess that's why the Sony faithful hate him.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It better be.
ren%C3%A9e-slater.gif

Ah yes. The arbitrary 90+ cutoff.

If that was the only benchmark for giving studios props, we’d pretty much eliminate the bulk of studios in the industry, including the bulk of first party across all three console makers.

Awfully convenient to exclude Forza. It doesn’t count, because reasons.
And if 90+ was the cut off then Ghost of Tsushima, Spiderman, Ratchet And Clank, Horizon Zero Dawn, Horizon Forbidden West, GT7, Miles Moralis and others arnt good games either.
This belief that only a game that hits 90+ Metacritic is a "quality game" is just retarded. All those games I listed are excellent games that are enjoyed by millions.

Ozriel

M$FT
Xbox always had the edge when it came to list wars of imaginary games.

‘List wars’ has always meant comparing the output of one console to another. Essentially using it as fodder for console wars.

In Cold Blood In Cold Blood is just speculating upcoming titles for one console in line with the thread title and not using it to talk bad about your favorite plastic box. Why does that aggravate you?

Matsuchezz

After a couple of decades of lying and over promising next year becomes this Friday that really was a few months back with Redfall but in the end that did not count they were testing ideas and this Friday is the real deal. The tools are ready and the supply chain is restocked and healthy. Games are getting to more people so we all win. Cheers everybody!!

Stooky

It's a list of games that Xbox is going to release. It has nothing to do with the metascores of the game.
Why would having a list of games that Microsoft is going to release be considered as a "console war list"?
Do you see Xbox having alot of games coming up as a threat to Sony and therefore some sort of console war? That's a bizarre take.

As for Phil Spencer, he was in charge of Microsoft when they had five studios. He went into bat for gamers and the xbox brand with the head of MS, and took on the shareholders who didn't think games were a good buisness to be in.
He directed and oversaw the purchase of Ninja Theory, Playground Games, Obsidian, InXile, Double Fine, Compulsion Games, Undead Labs, Worlds Edge as well as setting up The Initiative.

He then oversaw the master-stroke of buying Zenimax, and later the potential purchase of ABK.
list are cool. i prefer quality over quantity. something sony and nintendo has constantly delivered on. MS still has a lot to prove.

That all sounds okay on paper (won't say good/impressive because if you have a blank check of resources then you better be doing something), but until Xbox provides something similar to 2007 - where games like Bioshock, Mass Effect, Halo 3, The Orange Box (think it was timed exclusive?), Forza 2, Crackdown all came out and were exclusive for while and Xbox didn't own as many studios - they really don't need to be talking/hyping for no reason. I mean they have 5x the studios and all the resources now, idk why 2007 wouldn't be an expectation. Their paper full of future games doesn't even sound as impressive as 2007.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Some exes at MS must be at least nervous,Redfall tanking, Diablo 4 being abandoned by fans, Starfield not cracking the 90 barrier … Nedalla asking how the investments are doing.

TrueGrime

2 back to back misfires from their first party line up.

First Redfall and now Starfield.

How was Starfield a misfire? Are you making up failures in your head?

Some exes at MS must be at least nervous,Redfall tanking, Diablo 4 being abandoned by fans, Starfield not cracking the 90 barrier … Nedalla asking how the investments are doing.

Redfall sucked, Diablo 4 made over $600m in a week (ABK at 2.2 billion for the Qtr), and Starfield MC is 2 points from 90. Although, since when is 90 the success benchmark for any game.

Lol. I would like what you all are smoking. ;)

Success

How was Starfield a misfire? Are you making up failures in your head?

Redfall sucked, Diablo 4 made over $600m in a week (ABK at 2.2 billion for the Qtr), and Starfield MC is 2 points from 90. Although, since when is 90 the success benchmark for any game.

Lol. I would like what you all are smoking. ;)

Do you seriously not understand what I meant?

I believe so and also hope so.
As much as I don't like MS never truly adding much value to gaming as a whole (imho adding the achievement metagame is their biggest acomplishment) and their sometimes embarassing flip flopping strategies with some important things, we absolutely need someone who keeps Sony on their toes, since Nintendo is in their own almost separate from everything world and another major player properly entering is unlikely after google and amazon both seem to have given up and meta struggling hard to find their ground since they bet on a niche to explode. It still does not look super promising, instead of very few announced games we have a bunch more but still no real hit release after hit release past to built actual confidence, which then also would finally make Gamepass the thing it is supposed to be. Conditioning your customers to expect everything for free (beside the sub fee) before the games are even there, was a strategy that was just stupid when day one is supposed to mean something but hollow if "no one" really cares. Throwing money at a problem is not necessarily solving much immediately when some core problems persist and consumer trust in a platform needs to be built up anyway over many years, Kinect was bad enough for 360 but Xbone was also not really competitive. Finally getting more and hopefully also good games, should inevitable change that. We now finally should get what could have been a very possible continuation of the Halo, Gears, Forza, Mass Effect era on 360 before they got complacent for no understandable reason.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Starting gun? Why does MS always have these lame try-hard sentences. Starting gun, it’s a monster, eating monsters for breakfast and those lame ass console names. Also their shows are full of stuff like this with the annoying voice over that says EXCLUSIVE!

How is 86-88 a misfire?

Fuck me, that's a really good review score.

Okay, it's not a GOTY contender, and probably won't shift the dial on Xbox's popularity that much, but the idea it's a misfire is just fucking silly.
87 is a good score no doubt but hes obviously referencing that it fell short of the expectation that MS put on it. 11/10 was it?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
87 is a good score no doubt but hes obviously referencing that it fell short of the expectation that MS put on it. 11/10 was it?

I think the expectation from many was that it would rival Tears Of The Kingdom and Baldur's Gate for GOTY. It's clearly fallen short of that, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game. I'm still very much looking forward to getting stuck into it.

This is the problem Xbox has created for itself by having so few first party titles. The expectations and demands are way too high for every one.

I think the expectation from many was that it would rival Tears Of The Kingdom and Baldur's Gate for GOTY. It's clearly fallen short of that, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game. I'm still very much looking forward to getting stuck into it.

This is the problem Xbox has created for itself by having so few first party titles. The expectations and demands are way too high for every one.
I 100 percent agree.

Yes 87 is akin to that of Spider Man Miels Morales, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, and Spider Man 2 (most likely)

Difference is Insomniac the studio cost less that Starfield the game and have out put 3 high 80s games in the time it took just Starfield to come out. Not to mention Wolverine is right around the corner. This is from just 1 Playstation Studio. On top of that 87ish is the floor for Playstation Games not the ceiling.

I wholeheartedly believe if Starfield was a Playstation exclusive it would be met with praise not disappoint. Not because of fanboyism but because it would have none of the pressure and would slot right into the already great and robust catalog.

The only way out of this rutt is for MS to continue to release 85 plus games at a regular interval and overtime build back that reputation. They have the roadmap lets see how it plays out.

DaGwaphics

MS never came close to saying they had an expectation of it being 11/10, in fact Spencer was belittling the entire review system with that line (basically saying that it didn't mean anything for them). Not that I think that was a great strategy on his part there, but it's a far cry from saying they had 11/10 expectations for it.

LOL, at a score in the 80s being a horrible failure now, that and the Redfall comparisons (a game with a 30 point lower opencritic rating) is a little try-hard there guys.

LOL, at a score in the 80s being a horrible failure now, that and the Redfall comparisons (a game with a 30 point lower opencritic rating) is a little try-hard there guys.
Why are you so insecure? Nobody is saying its a horrible failure.

The games is getting good reviews and seems to be borderline great. True

The game is failing to me the lofty expectations levied upon it by MS and MS fanatics. True

Whats the problem here exactly?

DaGwaphics

Why are you so insecure? Nobody is saying its a horrible failure.

The games is getting good reviews and seems to be borderline great. True

The game is failing to me the lofty expectations levied upon it by MS and MS fanatics. True

Whats the problem here exactly?

Again, if you can point to where MS "levied these high expectations on it", I'd love to see it. I'm sure they have financial expectations for it, but even there I'd be surprised if they are overly public about it.

As to the point about posters insinuating that the game is synonymous with Redfall in bad faith, just read the thread. And as for my "insecurity", I'm not sure what that even means. My opinion of Starfield is exactly the same today as it was last week and the week before, I have no experience with the game just the trailers and the direct, LOL.

Even this "starting gun" quote is being misrepresented since it is referring to the cadence of their high-profile releases and makes no mention of critical responses.

Last edited:
Top Bottom