• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Third Party consoles that can run Xbox games to be eventually released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
According to a Discord who correctly preficted that Indiana Jones and that Xbox was going to go fully third party 4 before the Xbox Direct was announced:

• Microsoft Flight Simulator to become a third platform title.
  • Third Party consoles that can run Xbox games will be released, the same way third party/graphics cards are.
Om2JsRT.png

midnightAI

According to a Discord who correctly preficted that Indiana Jones and that Xbox was going to go fully third party 4 before the Xbox Direct was announced:

• Third Party consoles that can run Xbox games will be released, the same way third party/graphics cards are.
Om2JsRT.png
Well that's got fail written all over it.

DJ12

Lol, no one wants to buy an xbox with a discount of $200 applied.

No one is going to want to buy one for the full asking price without ms paying $200.

This is like we seen this fail numerous times, let's try again.

Wouldn't expect anything less from MS though to be fair.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
How is this ever going to work? Consoles are sold at cost because the real money is made by selling software. It's the razorblade model. So if MS isn't able to sell a sufficient number Xbox Series S/X consoles at cost price to keep their business running, what chance do the likes of Asus, MSI, etc have since those companies do need to make a profit.

CeeJay

If MS leave the hardware market it will leave a gap for OEM and that will no doubt mean consoles across the board have a sudden increase in price unfortunately due to the lack of subsidies to offset the cost. Sony will be licking their chops at the prospect of sticking another $200 on top of their Playstation price and don't believe they won't.

cireza

This reads like nightmare fuel for developers wishing to concentrate on only a handful of platforms. Basically forcing a PC approach to all developers if they want to support Xbox. What even is Xbox in that context ? A platform competing with PC ? So fucking dumb. Release Xbox branded PCs and call it day, then realize it's dumb, and stop releasing any kind of hardware.

Last edited:

midnightAI

How is this ever going to work? Consoles are sold at cost because the real money is made by selling software. It's the razorblade model. So if MS isn't able to sell a sufficient number Xbox Series S/X consoles at cost price to keep their business running, what chance do the likes of Asus, MSI, etc have since those companies do need to make a profit.
Even worse than that, most consoles are launched at a loss, not even cost, and no third party is going to do that, its suicide.

blakdecaf

I always thought Microsoft might do this. This is their whole business model for Windows that made them billions.

Xbox OEM.

Del_X

You know if "Xbox OS" or whatever is an open platform this might make for some fun devices. Especially if you can just install Steam. I think there's a market for what Steam tried to do with Steam Machines (they just fucked it up).

Papa_Wisdom

Next gen for Xbox will be a hand held in the same vein as the series s with hdmi out and connection for an external gpu when docked to your tv

The series x equivalent will be around the same price the series x was launched at, maybe even a little more expensive, all accessories will be compatible (memory cards etc). Again with a connection for external gpu.

Optional purchase to buy a Windows key (like developer mode) which means an version of Windows can be installed so can be used as a normal pc. Giving you access to steam and PlayStation ports.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You know if "Xbox OS" or whatever is an open platform this might make for some fun devices. Especially if you can just install Steam. I think there's a market for what Steam tried to do with Steam Machines (they just fucked it up).
I'll have to wait and see on cost, but I'm interested. If Xbox hardware is done, then the only alternative is PC. But I hate PC. If this has some of the streamlined convenience of Series X hardware and UI, and loads up the MS store and Steam, then that's significantly better than my current Series X.

I'd just start buying on Steam instead then and transfer my library over time on deep sales. I'd have access to Playstation PC games as well. I'd sell all consoles but Nintendo. Would be worth it if the hardware cost isn't astronomical. Basically a Steam machine plus MS store so you keep your purchases and Gamepass. Might even work with Quest headset at that point. Would basically be my dream console, theoretically.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

Om2JsRT.png

We've had this discussion, with this very same screenshotted post, like 17 times already here.

NickFire

Even worse than that, most consoles are launched at a loss, not even cost, and no third party is going to do that, its suicide.
What if MS gave them a royalty for every sale made on the device? If MS still manages the software platform they could offer a cut below the standard 30%.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The only way this rumor makes sense is when MS is going to completely reinvent what Xbox consoles are: by creating an ARM based handheld device that's able to run either Xbox or PC software through emulation. If MS makes it an open platform they could invite other manufacturers to make their own devices and compete both with SteamDeck and Nintendo that way.

Of course it will only hasten the demise of the Xbox Series S/X platform.

The only way this rumor makes sense is when MS is going to completely reinvent what Xbox consoles are: by creating an ARM based handheld device that's able to run either Xbox or PC software through emulation. If MS makes it an open platform they could invite other manufacturers to make their own devices and compete both with SteamDeck and Nintendo that way.

Of course it will only hasten the demise of the Xbox Series S/X platform.
If they did that, none of their games would be compatible with it unless they were streamed only.

StueyDuck

I still maintain that everyone and their uncle has a "new" rumor or leak and keeps building on this doomtrain is starting to get really suspect.

I think waiting to hear what MS really has to say is going to be the most important thing here.

I do think the only good that will come from everyone having a new rumor is that it will push MS to speak up alot sooner than they planned

Last edited:

kruis

If they did that, none of their games would be compatible with it unless they were streamed only.

Apple showed that ARM devices can run Intel code using a combination of hard/software emulation. Valve showed that you can create a successful handheld gaming device that's "emulating" Windows games in a Linux based OS.

It can be done.

CeeJay

This reads like nightmare fuel for developers wishing to concentrate on only a handful of platforms. Basically forcing a PC approach to all developers if they want to support Xbox. What even is Xbox in that context ? A platform competing with PC ? So fucking dumb. Release Xbox branded PCs and call it day, then realize it's dumb, and stop releasing any kind of hardware.
Xbox going third party doesn't suddenly mean a free for all. I would imagine that they would still manage the hardware targets to make it fairly straight forward for developers. MS would release the OS, drivers, SDKs and look after the DirectX side of things (like they do anyway on PC with Windows) whilst hardware manufacturers worry about making something to the spec. Think like how Google manage Android but anyone can manufacture a phone that it can run on. MS are not going to want to just give up on all that platform holder revenue but they want to reduce the running costs of it all. Personally it's a massive risk that could totally backfire and leave them holding an even bigger bag full of shit than they got now.

Microsoft's flip-flopping ADHD behaviour has been as much to blame for all of this as anything imo. To be a platform holder you have to have some stability and be able to show your customers that you can follow a steady course before they will invest in it and spend in it. Microsoft have just been floundering, trying all kinds of crazy shit to try and grow their platform but have totally missed the target.

MS - "why won't people come to our platform? We keep dramatically changing our plans to try and make it more appealing but people just keep leaving, why oh why?"

** crickets **

midnightAI

What if MS gave them a royalty for every sale made on the device? If MS still manages the software platform they could offer a cut below the standard 30%.
No hardware manufacturer would go near a model that they don't make money on, there is zero incentive, they won't rely on a promise of profits if it does well as that's too much of a gamble.

For example, gamepass works for many Devs because they get money up front which means they get paid even if the game tanks, and if it does well they'll still get some royalties also (there are different contracts but that's the basics of it). For hardware MS will not pay costs up front for sales, and hardware manufacturers will want to make an instant profit (probably largish profit as there is also R&D at some level), I just don't see how this can work other than XBox branded PC's, or, the boxes are just streaming boxes with minimal hardware so can sell cheap anyway.

MarkMe2525

I believe this exact exchange was already shared and discussed Draugoth Draugoth

Last edited:
Apple showed that ARM devices can run Intel code using a combination of hard/software emulation. Valve showed that you can create a successful handheld gaming device that's "emulating" Windows games in a Linux based OS.

It can be done.
Intel is not AMD. And sure through emulation you can do a lot, but it creates more overhead for the machine running the emulation. So your specs would need to be higher and the power output would need to be higher therefore creating a shitty expensive console that emulates everything. The idea is putrid.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The plan to have third party consoles in the future was talked about on video by Microsoft around the time of the launch of the series s/x this plan randomly coming up years later like its new news is fucking weird

midnightAI

The plan to have third party consoles in the future was talked about on video by Microsoft around the time of the launch of the series s/x this plan randomly coming up years later like its new news is fucking weird
Is it really that weird based on what has come out over the last 24 hours? (even if it is still all rumour at this point)

So would these third party consoles have different specs? Samsung release a high spec $1000 Xbox against a $100 Supermarket Xbox, Digital Foundry better staff up!

BlackTron

If MS leave the hardware market it will leave a gap for OEM and that will no doubt mean consoles across the board have a sudden increase in price unfortunately due to the lack of subsidies to offset the cost. Sony will be licking their chops at the prospect of sticking another $200 on top of their Playstation price and don't believe they won't.

I'm skeptical. Sure Sony likes margins, but they also like having the biggest base they can to which they can sell games and subs. Opposing counterweights if you will

midnightAI

I actually dont see any evidence that Sony would do that, they know that the high mark is around $500 (inflation not withstanding) regardless of competition, we have the PS3 to thank for that which even Sony admitted was a huge mistake in regards to its price. I actually think the PC market will keep them in check also.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Remember Steam machines? Yeah, nobody will care. People assuming these things will cheap? Well think again you can better buy a normal pc or build your own small computer. Why would anyone want a dedicated xbox oem device? If xbox can’t sell their consoles, how will this even sell?

Maybe ALDI or Action will sell some cheap ass worthless xbox computer lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom